How do you determine if you have access to remote files

I'm trying to scan a list of servers for a specific file (say for example
\\<servername>\C$\MyApp\Test.ini\which may exist on some servers but not on
others.  In addition, I may not have have access to all servers that I'm
checking.

When using any commands in Powershell (1.0) that attempt to get the file
(such as Get-Item) PowerShell returns the same "Cannot find path '<filename>'
because it does not exist.)" error message in the following two scenarions:

1. I have access to the remote filesystem and the file does not exist
(expected behavior)
2. I don't have access to the filesystem and PowerShell was not able to
determine if the file existed (unexpected behavior).

Is there any way in PowerShell to determine if the failure was due to not
having access to the remote filesystem?  I've tried several of the filesystem
type cmdlets and they all seem to behave the same way.  They return a "path
does not exist" error message when they really just couldn't check to see if
the file existed due to denied access.

Help with Data Access Pages
This is the setup. Table A with 3 fields – Project, Name, Number Table B with 5 fields – Project, Name, Number, Comments, Date Main Page (data access page) with a hyperlink to Temp Page and a drop down combo box displaying only the values of Project (from Table A) Temp Page (data access page) that is connected to Table B to store the data entered. On this page is 5 text boxes labeled to match Table B above. Here is my problem. On selection from the drop down box from Main, and selecting the link to Temp, I want the Temp Page to display only the records that match the Project selected fr...

Can't open Outlook for Web Access over the net using 2000 or XP but can with 98?? Any ideas
Hi there, Can anyone tell me why a 2000 or XP system cannot log on remotely to Exchange's Outlook (2000 Server) for web access over https: when a 98 system can no-problem? Thx in advance. "David Sullivan" <dsullivan@bcl-international.com> wrote in message news:lGNLc.5216$Z14.6537@news.indigo.ie... > Hi there, > > Can anyone tell me why a 2000 or XP system cannot log on remotely to > Exchange's Outlook (2000 Server) for web access over https: when a 98 > system > can no-problem? > > Thx in advance. > > What version of IE is running ...

Creating and accessing BCM files stored on Network Accessible Stor
Our IT contractor has just installed a Network Accessible Storage device (DLink DNS-323). We can see this from all computers on our wireless network. I want to create our BCM database on the NAS so that all people on site can access it. We are also planning to set up a VPN to allow our offsite staff access to the BCM database. My problem is that BCM cannot see the NAS. Indeed when you are setting up a new database there does not seem to be a browse capability to allow you to set it up anywhere other than your local hard drive. Any ideas? "Mdith" <Mdith@discuss...

Opening Files*
When I open an Excel file only the blank Excel screen comes up. Then I have to go to open and find it etc. How do I set up so files automatically open in the program they were saved on? Thank If you save all your excel files in a particular folder you set the default through Tools > Options then under the general tab. Type the path to the folder that you wish and when you select open excel will open tht folder. Is this what you meant? regards Murray >-----Original Message----- >When I open an Excel file only the blank Excel screen comes up. Then I have to go to open and find i...

determine mail flow problem!!!!!!!!
Help! :-( Our mailflow from 2 backend 2003 exchange servers keeps queuing up in the outbound queue (which is set to always run delivery). Messages stay in there from 10 to 120 minutes before being sent to our gateway MTA and then sent off site (to hotmail.com for example). However when I telnet from a backend server to the gateway over port 25 and send a test message it goes right away. I can't for the life of me figure out why. One example when viewed in message tracking history says: 10:16am - smtp: store driver, message submitted from store 10:16am - smtp: message submitted to ...

Inking in Access 2007 and broken links after transfer database on Vista
Hi, I transfered an Access database from my old computer running with XP on my new Tablet PC running with Vista professionnal. I use this database to make clients folders. Since I work as a psychologist, I receive my clients at my office and take notes at each appointment with them. I would want to take ink notes directly and freely in their Access files with my stylet without to write in the pop Windows writing box. Is-it possible? Also, some clients folders has annexed files by shortcut outside of the database. But since I tranfered my database and the folder who included annexs, th...

Determine columns used
I have 100+ spreadsheets which i have to edit into a certain format. The spreadsheets currently have 100 columns (from 1-100). From there i have to reduce the number of columns set to 8 columns. E.g: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 (from column 9 onwards, it goes to the 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 next rows' column 1) 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 How do i do that without altering the order of the value of the cell? Let me make sure we understand the question. You have ...

Run make table query from Excel with Access closed
I have an make table query in Access that I want to be able to run from Excel. Ultimately I would like to be able to run the make table with Access closed and no messages appearing until the table is made...then a notice saying the make table is complete. Is there any way to run a make table access query from Excel without opening Access? Thanks. Kick this around. Should help Sub makeTable() 'Needs reference the Axtive X Library 2.0 or higher Dim cn As ADODB.Connection Dim sCnn As String Dim sTableName As String Dim sMakeTableName As String sTableName = "...

Dynamically determining when a month ends
Hello all, Ok, I have a simple excel spreadsheet, where I keep track of my spending on one tab, my income in another and my summary in a thrid. My problem happens when I try to dynamically calc. avg's for months in the summary page. For instance, if I want to see how much money I spent on average per month, or even per day, I draw from the data entered into the spending page. Now, the spending page is set up with the following columns: Date:: Description:: Amount The problem with this is that I can't predefine a max row # for each month, since I might have 80 entries in spending...

Transfering a Money file to a laptop
I have recently converted from Quicken to Money 2005. I have Money istalled on my home PC and I wish to be able to transfer my Money fioe to my laptop to have it available when away from home. I have installed Money on the laptop and backed up my file to a USB device but when I try to restore the file to the laptop I am unable to do so getting a message saying "....the file can't be located, or it is read only, or I don't have permission, or it is write-protected", none of which are correct. If I copy the file directlt to my laptop and try to open it I get the same mes...

Request/Response XML to a remote server without using IIS
I have a need to take an xml file generated from a mainframe and post it to a remote server (ex: http//xml.company.com/order.cgi) which, in turn, will return an xml response. I have no idea how to do this without using IIS (the application is written in C#). Can someone point me in the right direction (samples, framework classes, etc.)? Look at HttpWebRequest. I used that in an app to upload an XML file and get a response XML file: HttpWebRequest req = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(requrl); T "William" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uZfnFeQsGHA.1304@...

how to determine the size of the sheet
Hi I had a collegue who told me once a way to dtermine the number of the rows in a sheet of the workbook I am working at. It is known that when you open a new workbook each sheet has maybe 65365 or something like that rows. MY QUESTION IS: HOW TO MAKE THE SHEET 1000 ROWS OR WHATEVER NUMBERS OF ROWS I ONLY NEED? Thanks in Advance, Ahmed Hi Ahmed The number of rows and columns are fixed. Your workaround would be to hide the ones you consider unneeded. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Ahmed SHEBL" <ahmad.shebl@hotmail.com> skrev i melding news:%231uFO3IcHHA.4720@TK2MSFTNGP0...

Open Files Closing at Random
Hi, Yesterday I began experiencing a peculiar problem with Excel regarding open files. I normally open four or five Excel files when processing invoices, in addition to four or five Word files for those same invoices. Normally I work through the files, moving from one to the next making the changes required for that particular week's invoicing. I have been processing invoices in that manner for several years with Office 2003. Yesterday, however, as I was moving from one Excel file to another, two or three of the files would just disappear. The were not showing as minimized at the...

Prevent word from accessing excel file on open
Hello, I am using word 2007, excel 2007 on a windows XP machine with all updates done. I have a word file that has links to excel file. These are {Link Excel.Sheet.8 ......} fields. None of the fields have the \a switch - i.e. all links are set to manual update. The word switches "Update Automatic Links on Open", "Update fields before printing" and "Update Linked data before printing" are all unchecked. I am trying to prevent the word file from accessing the excel data at all before i do some management in a Sub AutoOpen() routine. Specifical...

Best way to sync Outlook files between desktop and laptop
I have a desktop PC on a home network that acts as a server. I have two mobiles, one laptop I use sometime but a TabletPC that i use frequently. As I said this main desktop PC is in a sense acting as a server and everything runs Windows XP. I have already posted elsewhere (Tablet PC Newsgroup) about this since I will also be syncing the My Documents folder. Anyway, seems that SyncToy 1.2 is the program I've come up with for doing that. My question, I think this could be used for Outlook but some people are suggesting SynchPST as the best and it was suggested I post here. Is this the b...

How do I determine
I have X number of rows that show employee names and a column (A2) that lists the value of products sold by each employee and I want to pay them a percentage based upon value of sales. For example: If they sell up to =A31,000 worth of products, I will pay them 3% of the value. Between =A31,000 & =A32,000, I will pay them 5% of the value Over =A32,000, I will pay them 10% of the value The amount paid to them in commission will be show in column (A3). Many thanks D.Haste darren.haste@ttt.co.uk "Hastey" <darrenhaste@sky.com> wrote in message news:6a0a4fa9-adcd-484a-80...

Accessing inernal mails thru External POP3 webmail
Dear All , Need a solution for accessing inernal mails thru External POP3 webmail I have Ex2003 on winsrvr2003 with domain registered with service provider; I am using a 3rd party POP3 software to download mails. And mails are going out thru my ADSl connection to internet . My problem is I have some external users they want to access mails from out side , since I don’t have a leased line and public IP I cant use OWA instead I want use the webmail provided by the service provider. This setup is fine for them to receive external mail s on their webmail. the issue is When a internal...

accessing remote print queue #3
Hi, I've to get the queue details from the remote printers in the network.How can I identify those automatically and get the details of those using vc++? I know how to do this for the local printer n its not working if I give "\\\\servername\\printer name". I tried EnumPrinters() also but its working for PRINTER_ENUM_NETWORK n _REMOTE with PRINTER_INFO_1 structure only n this structure is not giving the printer name for NT systems. So,pls help me as the submission date for my module is nearing by. Pls reply me asap. Thank you verymuch in advance. Regards, Rayudu. ...

Excel File Growing Without Explanation
Greetings! I have an Excel file that contain very little data and some lightweight VBA code. The file is growing very quickly. Yesterday it was 6MB and now it's up to 11MB without adding any additional data! What is happening here? Could the file be corrupt? I'm not getting any errors, but VBA seems to be ignoring my breakpoints when stepping through code. Your ideas would be appreciated! -- Kevin Hi Is the file shared ? What happens when you save the file with another name (Save As dialog from Excel) ? Arvi Laanemets "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Previously disabled account can no longer access mailbox
All: I have a perplexing issue. I support a small office running Exchange 2003. They recently let an employee go and while deciding how to handle the individual's account, we disabled (not deleted) their AD account. I remembered in "old" 5.5 days that the admin could always log in to a mail store with the Exchange admin credentials, but as I found out that is no longer the case. The challenge now is that we re-enabled the users account and changed the password (we didn't know the original password0, but for some reason the account no longer has access to the mailbox. The...

Developer Access to Money
Quicken has an XML interface into Quickbooks and Quicken. My company develops a vertical market application and I want to integrate accounting features into it. We currently work with Small Business Manager but the target market is 25 seats. I want to service the one or two seat mom and pop. Before we go the Quicken route, is there any way to integrate Money into a 3rd party app? It would be great to do this using XML? Hitting the database directly is not an option as it can bypass accounting practices. http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q10, or http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...

How to move directories from public folders to file systems
We need to move directories & their contents from within the public folders out to the file system? Is there a quick and easy way to move the directory and contents? Moving each file is time consuming. Thanks The M drive can be helpful in this case. But before you enable it be aware that this is highly discouraged by MS due to risk of store corruption. If you do use the M drive limit yourself to COPY operations do not MOVE or DELETE stuff. Leave DELETE to Outlook or OWA. Ok if you still want to use the M drive. You will probably need to re-enable the mapping. If something goes wro...

cannot access directory in options
When I try to change anything in option I get the error "cannot access directory J:\\" I no longer have the flash drive that I used when I original set the default file location to "J". The Drive is still available but I don't have a flash drive. Saving directly to removable drives is not a recommended procedure, setting it as a default location was a particularly bad choice. Set it to someplace on the C: or local drive. If that doesn't reset the problem , run "Help", "Detect and Repair". ex_usmc_doc wrote: > When I try...

How do you determine if you have access to remote files
I'm trying to scan a list of servers for a specific file (say for example \\<servername>\C$\MyApp\Test.ini\which may exist on some servers but not on others. In addition, I may not have have access to all servers that I'm checking. When using any commands in Powershell (1.0) that attempt to get the file (such as Get-Item) PowerShell returns the same "Cannot find path '<filename>' because it does not exist.)" error message in the following two scenarions: 1. I have access to the remote filesystem and the file does not exist (expected beha...

How do I make my 2003 access file to be compactable with access 20
I have written an Access 2003 program which runs fine on. I just installed Access 2007 and database is showing up. How do I make my 2003 access file to be compactable with access 2007? Thanks a lot. An MDB created in Access 2003 works with Access 2007, so something else must be wrong if you can't see it (e.g. permissions, security, or in a location you don't have rights to.) -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "mju&...