help about_break

A part of the output of
  help about_break
is

   You break out of the other looping statements in the same
   way you break out of the Foreach loop. In the following
   example, the Break statement exits a While statement when
   a DivideByZeroException exception is trapped using the
   Trap statement.
      $i = 3
      while ($true)
      {
          trap [DivideByZeroException]
          {
              Write-Host "divide by zero trapped"
              break
          }
          1 / $i--
      }

I don't think this is strictly true.  Doesn't the break within
that trap's scriptblock actually exit the script or function
that includes it?

While it might be true that the while statement is exited in
the process of exiting the script or function, shouldn't that
help text be edited to say something different?

  - Larry

0
Larry__Weiss

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 23:52:07 -0500, Larry__Weiss <lfw@airmail.net>
wrote:

[...cut...]
>I don't think this is strictly true.  Doesn't the break within
>that trap's scriptblock actually exit the script or function
>that includes it?

If by "function" you mean the loop, then: yes, it exits the function.

i'm using the break-command in my scripts for exiting loops just the
way it is explained in the example you gave and it does exactly as the
help-text says.

hth,

 marcel
On 6/27/2010 4:07 AM, M. M�ller wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 23:52:07 -0500, Larry__Weiss<lfw@airmail.net>
> wrote:
>
> [...cut...]
>> I don't think this is strictly true.  Doesn't the break within
>> that trap's scriptblock actually exit the script or function
>> that includes it?
>
> If by "function" you mean the loop, then: yes, it exits the function.
>
> i'm using the break-command in my scripts for exiting loops just the
> way it is explained in the example you gave and it does exactly as the
> help-text says.

No, by function I mean a PowerShell function.

The specific situation I'm speaking of is where you have a function or a
script that has a break statement inside a trap's scriptblock that is
all inside a loop.

In that case, the break inside the trap's scriptblock will cause the
entire function to terminate, not just exit the loop. The help text for
about_break should say that, and it doesn't.

  - Larry

0
Larry__Weiss
6/27/2010 12:49:54 PM
Larry,

There's a special explanation of break within the context of a Trap.

Have a look at about_trap in the help:

<quote>
Using the Break and Continue Keywords

      You can use the Break and Continue keywords in a Trap statement to
      determine whether a script or command continues to run after a
      terminating error.
</quote>

Break can also cause a function to stop executing.
Continue suppresses the error info to be displayed, although still added to
the $error arraylist.

I normally have a seven step demo ending up with the script below.
Experiment what happens when
leaving out complete traps, changing break into continue vice versa or leave
out these statements. Check out what Write-Host statements get executed.
The traps only execute because of -erroraction stop.

#-------------------------
$ErrorActionPreference="Continue"

Function MyFunction {
  Trap {
    Write-Host "FUNCTION TRAPPED"
    Break
  }
  Get-WmiObject Win32_Service -computerName NonExistingServer -erroraction
stop
  Write-Host "END OF FUNCTION"
}

Trap {
  Write-Host "SCRIPT TRAPPED"
  Continue  # Suppress display of the error
}

MyFunction

Write-Host "END OF SCRIPT"
#-------------------------

HtH,
~Hans

"Larry__Weiss" <lfw@airmail.net> schreef in bericht
> A part of the output of
>  help about_break
> is
>
>   You break out of the other looping statements in the same
>   way you break out of the Foreach loop. In the following
>   example, the Break statement exits a While statement when
>   a DivideByZeroException exception is trapped using the
>   Trap statement.
>      $i = 3
>      while ($true)
>      {
>          trap [DivideByZeroException]
>          {
>              Write-Host "divide by zero trapped"
>              break
>          }
>          1 / $i--
>      }
>
> I don't think this is strictly true.  Doesn't the break within
> that trap's scriptblock actually exit the script or function
> that includes it?
>
> While it might be true that the while statement is exited in
> the process of exiting the script or function, shouldn't that
> help text be edited to say something different?
>
>  - Larry

0
Hans
6/27/2010 1:50:44 PM
I see three distinct cases

   trap {...}           # log error, output error and continue processing
   trap {...; continue} # log error and continue processing
   trap {...; break}    # log error, output error and terminate script
or function

where ... stands for optional custom PowerShell code inside
the trap's scriptblock.

It would have been nice if there would have been an additional statement
spelled "silentlycontinue" to use in a trap statement and just
have let "continue" be the default consistent with what it does as the
value of $ErrorActionPreference

Right now, in a trap statement, "continue" actually means
"silentlycontinue", if you get my meaning.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

  - Larry

On 6/27/2010 8:50 AM, Hans Dingemans wrote:
> Larry,
> There's a special explanation of break within the context of a Trap.
> Have a look at about_trap in the help:
> <quote>
> Using the Break and Continue Keywords
> You can use the Break and Continue keywords in a Trap statement to
> determine whether a script or command continues to run after a
> terminating error.
> </quote>
>
> Break can also cause a function to stop executing.
> Continue suppresses the error info to be displayed, although still added
> to the $error arraylist.
>
> I normally have a seven step demo ending up with the script below.
> Experiment what happens when
> leaving out complete traps, changing break into continue vice versa or
> leave out these statements. Check out what Write-Host statements get
> executed.
> The traps only execute because of -erroraction stop.
>
> #-------------------------
> $ErrorActionPreference="Continue"
>
> Function MyFunction {
> Trap {
> Write-Host "FUNCTION TRAPPED"
> Break
> }
> Get-WmiObject Win32_Service -computerName NonExistingServer -erroraction
> stop
> Write-Host "END OF FUNCTION"
> }
>
> Trap {
> Write-Host "SCRIPT TRAPPED"
> Continue # Suppress display of the error
> }
>
> MyFunction
>
> Write-Host "END OF SCRIPT"
> #-------------------------
>

> HtH,
> ~Hans
>

> "Larry__Weiss" <lfw@airmail.net> schreef in bericht
>> A part of the output of
>> help about_break
>> is
>>
>> You break out of the other looping statements in the same
>> way you break out of the Foreach loop. In the following
>> example, the Break statement exits a While statement when
>> a DivideByZeroException exception is trapped using the
>> Trap statement.
>> $i = 3
>> while ($true)
>> {
>> trap [DivideByZeroException]
>> {
>> Write-Host "divide by zero trapped"
>> break
>> }
>> 1 / $i--
>> }
>>
>> I don't think this is strictly true. Doesn't the break within
>> that trap's scriptblock actually exit the script or function
>> that includes it?
>>
>> While it might be true that the while statement is exited in
>> the process of exiting the script or function, shouldn't that
>> help text be edited to say something different?
>>
>> - Larry

0
Larry__Weiss
6/27/2010 3:10:42 PM
Consider this transcript focused on this line of PowerShell
   trap {'Trapped it!'; break} xyzzy; 'output the rest of this line'

   PS C:> $error.count
   0
   PS C:> trap {'Trapped it!'; break} xyzzy; 'output the rest of this line'
   Trapped it!
   Program 'xyzzy' failed to execute: No application is associated with
the specified file for this operation
   At line:1 char:34
   + trap {'Trapped it!'; break} xyzzy <<<< ; 'output the rest of this
line'.
   At line:1 char:29
   + trap {'Trapped it!'; break}  <<<< xyzzy; 'output the rest of this line'
       + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [],
ParentContainsError
      RecordException
       + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandFailed

   PS C:> $error.count
   2
   PS C:> $error[0]
   Program 'xyzzy' failed to execute: No application is associated with
  the specified file for this operation
   At line:1 char:34
   + trap {'Trapped it!'; break} xyzzy <<<< ; 'output the rest of this
line'.
   PS C:> $error[1]
   Program 'xyzzy' failed to execute: No application is associated with
the specified file for this operation
   At line:1 char:34
   + trap {'Trapped it!'; break} xyzzy <<<< ; 'output the rest of this
line'.
   At line:1 char:29
   + trap {'Trapped it!'; break}  <<<< xyzzy; 'output the rest of this line'
     + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [],
ApplicationFailedException
     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandFailed

   PS C:>

Why did $error.count increase by 2 ?
Notice also that the "break" kept the rest of the line from outputting
anything.

Contrast with
   trap {'Trapped it!'} xyzzy; 'output the rest of this line'
   trap {'Trapped it!'; continue} xyzzy; 'output the rest of this line'
They both allow the rest of the line to execute and $error is
incremented by 1 and not 2.

  - Larry
0
Larry__Weiss
6/27/2010 8:55:37 PM
Case one:  Error may be printed out depends on your ErrorPreferrence
variable. So Powershell is completely consistent by default with the above
variable by default.
Execution will continue.

Case two:  Error overrides the ErrorActionPreferrence variable. Nothing
printed to screen. Execution will continue.

Case three:  overrides the ErrorActionPreferrence variable. Exits function
or script.

In all cases above the ErrorRecord is created as Hans stated below. To
determine whether there is an error you will need to check $?. Here is a
small example

function TestBreak()
{
  trap
  {
     Write-Host "In Trap"
     Write-Host $_
#     break
#     continue
  }

  1,0,3,5 | % { 1/$_}
  if ($?) {"Write-Host An Error has occured"}
  echo "after loop"

   Write-Host "end"
}

You can see that Continue != SilentlyContinue. The latter will proccess the
next object in the pipeline. Traps/Catches regardless of what you do _stop_
that. At the most the next statement will be executed.

bob

"Larry__Weiss" wrote:

> [...]
> >> example, the Break statement exits a While statement when
> >> a DivideByZeroException exception is trapped using the
> >> Trap statement.
> >> $i = 3
> >> while ($true)
> >> {
> >> trap [DivideByZeroException]
> >> {
> >> Write-Host "divide by zero trapped"
> >> break
> >> }
> >> 1 / $i--
> >> }
> >>
> >> I don't think this is strictly true. Doesn't the break within
> >> that trap's scriptblock actually exit the script or function
> >> that includes it?
> >>
> >> While it might be true that the while statement is exited in
> >> the process of exiting the script or function, shouldn't that
> >> help text be edited to say something different?

Thanks for the clarifications.

I now better understand that the "silently" concept is distinguishable
from the "continue" concept.

  - Larry

On 6/28/2010 10:15 AM, Bob Landau wrote:
> Case one:  Error may be printed out depends on your
 >   ErrorActionPreferrence variable. So Powershell is completely
 >   consistent by default with the above variable by default.
>   Execution will continue.
>
> Case two:  Error overrides the ErrorActionPreferrence variable.
 >   Nothing printed to screen. Execution will continue.
>
> Case three:  overrides the ErrorActionPreferrence variable.
 >   Exits function or script.
>
> In all cases above the ErrorRecord is created as Hans stated below.
 > To determine whether there is an error you will need to check $?.
 >
 > Here is a small example
>
> function TestBreak()
> {
>    trap
>    {
>       Write-Host "In Trap"
>       Write-Host $_
> #     break
> #     continue
>    }
>
>    1,0,3,5 | % { 1/$_}
>    if ($?) {"Write-Host An Error has occured"}
>    echo "after loop"
>
>     Write-Host "end"
> }
>
> You can see that Continue != SilentlyContinue.
 > The latter will process the next object in the pipeline.
 > Traps/Catches regardless of what you do _stop_ that.
 > At the most the next statement will be executed.
>
> bob
>
> "Larry__Weiss" wrote:
 >> Case one:   trap {...}
 >> Case two:   trap {...; continue}
 >> Case three: trap {...; break}

0
Larry__Weiss
6/28/2010 4:03:09 PM
Nice example, Bob.

For the broader audience: Minor details, though. Well, minor?

The boolean expr. in the if-statement must be negated(! or -not), and I felt
free to put the info how to proceed into a script block.

$proceed= {} # Put Break or Continue in script block, or leave empty

  trap
  {
     Write-Host "In Trap"
     Write-Host $_
     & $proceed
  }

  1,0,3,5 | % { 1/$_}
  if (! $?) {Write-Host "An Error has occured"}
  echo "after loop"

  Write-Host "end"

Cheers,
Hans

"Bob Landau" <BobLandau@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> [...]
>> > Experiment what happens when
>> > leaving out complete traps, changing break into continue vice versa or
>> > leave out these statements. Check out what Write-Host statements get
>> > executed.
>> > The traps only execute because of -erroraction stop.
>> >
>> > #-------------------------
>> > $ErrorActionPreference="Continue"
>> >
>> > Function MyFunction {
>> > Trap {
>> > Write-Host "FUNCTION TRAPPED"
>> > Break
>> > }
>> > Get-WmiObject Win32_Service -computerName
>> > NonExistingServer -erroraction
>> > stop
>> > Write-Host "END OF FUNCTION"
>> > }
>> >
>> > Trap {
>> > Write-Host "SCRIPT TRAPPED"
>> > Continue # Suppress display of the error

0
Hans

sumifs help

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...

IF OR help
I have entered the formula =IF(OR(D5="K",D5<=4,M32<=95),"INELIGIBLE"," ") I am trying to get a result that will display INELIGIBLE when the value in D5 is K,1,2,3,4 OR the value in M32 is less than 96. with this formula I now get INELIGIBLE when D5 is blank. I would like cell to be blank unless one of the specific conditions is met. If either D5 or M32 is blank, I would like this cell to also be blank M32 contains a formula that returns a blank cell unless data is entered elsewhere in the workbook Thanks for all the help -- dbconn...

Help -- Help -- Help
Hi, I am having a lot of trouble with Outlook. I understand the other Microsoft programs, but for some reason I can't get Outlook. Does anyone know of any books that really breakdown the concepts of Outlook? Thank you. Donald Donald8044 wrote: > Hi, > > I am having a lot of trouble with Outlook. > > I understand the other Microsoft programs, but for some reason I > can't get Outlook. > > Does anyone know of any books that really breakdown the concepts of > Outlook? > > Thank you. > > Donald Umm what exactly do you mean - "but for some...

Drop Down Menu Help #2
Leave a blank row? How would I do that? For the drop down, I use th validation function, and it lets you list what you put in to the dro down and you have to separate it by commas. a,b,c,d, ect. How would do what you are suggesting -- mcr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mcr1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1549 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27475 Then you follow Debra's suggestion. I took for granted that you were using a list contained in a named range, where ...

Help, please: sorting the Legend
I'm lucky if I use 10% of the power of Excel. I would be grateful for advice. Ten salesmen on a team. At the end of each month, their cumulative totals for the year are updated. The spreadsheet gets re-sorted, showing their standing in rank order. Simple enough. At the beginning of the year, I created a line chart to track each person's progress. I initially listed the names in alphabetical order and defined the series accordingly. The problem comes when I do the end of the month re-sort. The names in the Legend are no longer in alphabetical order but neither do they correctly corres...

Hi All: OWA is giving me hell. After trying to use form for Exchange OWA, it started to display as loading only, no icons or images just x in the middle of the icons. The server is Win2k3 SP1, Exchange 2K3 SP1 Apply and check all microsoft KB 280823 , no joy :( Re apply SP1 for Exchange no joy :( Run Exchange setup (Reinstall) no joy Run Exchange setup/disasterrecovery no joy Any suggestions, it is something has to do with Http filter as I tried my IIS with certificate for a newly created virtual directory and it is working fine.. Help from all people Highly appreciated Thanks D...