empty subexpression

No big deal, more out of curiosity: anyone an idea what makes the last
output different from the other two?

PS> "a$($null)a"
aa
PS> "a$( )a"
aa
PS> "a$()a"
a$a

0
Hans

Good question!

Also consider:

   PS C:> "a$()a"
   a$a
   PS C:> "a$(;)a"
   aa
   PS C:> "a$(;;)a"
   aa
   PS C:> "a$(;;;)a"
   aa
   PS C:> "a$(;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;)a"
   aa

  - Larry

On 6/25/2010 3:10 PM, Hans Dingemans wrote:
> No big deal, more out of curiosity: anyone an idea what makes the last
> output different from the other two?
>
> PS> "a$($null)a"
> aa
> PS> "a$( )a"
> aa
> PS> "a$()a"
> a$a

0
Larry__Weiss

Empty the Inbox
Is there a better way to empty all messages in the Inbox than holding down the Cntrl key? Just used the laptop after several months, and it downloaded all the old emails on the server. Using Windows Outlook Express. -- kbob This is not the Outlook Express newsgroup, but anyway: If you want to delete all the Inbox messages, highlight one header viewing in the Preview Pane, and Ctrl + A will highlight them all. Delete all in one motion. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "k. bob" <kbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Looping until empty column
Here is my dilemma. I can do VBA in Access, but for some reason I jus don't get it in excel. What I want to do is go down a column and stor that info in a variable. I want this to happen untill there is no mor data. Once I have that data I want to go to another page and store th data in an empty column. I want the program to auto. find the empt column. Thank You in advance. thegu -- thegu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- theguz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2491 View this thread: http://www.excelforum....

pst file appears empty
Hello all! I have a 450 MB pst file, that appears empty in OL98. I have run scanpst several times, did not help. I changed the first byte of the file from 21 to 00 with a hex editor and ran scanpst, it did report errors, fixed them and still no help. I tried exmerge, which reported succesful import, but did not actually retrieve anything from the pst file. Mdbvu32 also shows that the stuff is in there. It seems that the problem is quite common, but does anyone have a solution, how to fix it. Please help! Harri ...

Empty Cell not empty
If I use the following formula: =IF(B25="","",B25+C25) in Column U all the way down to Row 20000 to create a new value... (Column B has a date and Column C has a Time) and then copy and paste Column U to Column T as values, I see empty cells in Column T once my data runs out (presently around Row 40. However....if I use the CountA function,it is telling me that I have data in Column T all the way down to Row 20000. Since this combined Date/Time is being used as X Axis data it is screwing up the graph because Excel thinks those cells are Jan 1, 1900 when in fact...

Empty Excel file is too large
I have deleted all sheets, and contents from my excel file, but it's still 2Meg in size. When I zip it, it's only 90K Bytes. (A blank excel file is usually 90K Bytes) Why is my empty file so large? It was originally 5 Meg, and I deleted all sheets, formulas, and VB codes. Right now there is nothing (except one empty sheet), but the size is still 2M. Please respond. Sometimes what I find is that Excel counts unused rows as part of the file size. So what I do is highlight all the rows from the first unused one to the last one, i.e. ctrl+g to bring up the goto box, then Ax:a65536,...

ignoring empty???
Hi all, one of my students presented me with the following: "I get a list from another application. There is a column that has either value "yes" or looks like empty. Now, when I want to jump to the next row that has value "yes" I use the shortcut key Ctrl+ArrowDown. However, sometimes when a cell looks like empty there may be a space, with the result that when I need to jump to the next "yes" cell I end up in a cell that has a space. (one that looks empty) So, I used the function Trim to get rid of all the superfluous spaces in an extra column. And al...

Contacts dialogue box shows up empty
I have an issue with Outlook Pro installed on my main PC that is not recognizing contacts. They are all there, but when I try to send an email, and I select "to" the contacts dialogue box shows up empty. Thanks in advance, Jay Is the Contacts folder selected as an Address List? http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/contactsinaddressbook.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within Windows -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data ----- "Jay" <nospam_doctorpep...

Calculations with empty fields
I have a report that is calculating total elapsed time between dates. I have the calculation working fine if all fields are filled in. However, out of necessity there will always be fields that are not filled in yet (because the orders have not yet arrived, shipped, etc.). I am (of course) getting the #error result for all of these cases. I would like for these fields to remain blank until the orders have arrived, shipped, etc. I am pretty sure that I need to use .hasdata, but can not quite get it to work. My expression for the calculated fields is below. =Workdays([Firs...

empty in box
How do I empty my in box without moving everything to delete first? I can't find a "select all" choice. Can anyone share how to do this? Thanks, Linda Highlight one message header. Ctrl+A will highlight them all. Shift | Delete will bypass Deleted Items. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC17754D-E900-4E78-8F3F-766F73CB3410@microsoft.com... > How do I empty my in box without moving everything to delete first? I > can't > f...

Empty Emails
I get daily emails that are empty. Blank. From: Blank To: Blank Body: Blank Can someone tell my why? I just delete them. Thanks Sue Nope, I do too, but SpamBayes takes care of them for me. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Sue asked: | I get daily emails that are empty. Blank. | From: Blank | To: Blank | Body: Blank | | Can someone tell my why? I just delete them. | Thanks | ...

When printing a document on deskjet an empty page comes out
I try to print an Excel document on an HP Desjet 3820 printer, but both print prewiew and printout are blank. When checking the print area my data shows correctly. Clear print area, then reslect the area. D -- Donal ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Donald's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1517 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26841 I'm sorry, it didn't work to clear the print area. I'm still grateful for more ideas! best/sanna Donald's suggestion usuall...

Empty (NUll) value in cell, not empty string?
I have cell (D1) with this formula: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(C1,Navne,2,FALSE)),"";VLOOKUP(C1,Navne,2,FALSE)) If C1 is N/A, it returns an empty string. The problem is, you cant multiply an empty string. So my next formula =D1*10 it gives me a VALUE error. I would like to give me a 0 in stead. I know I can change ti formula to insert a zero instead of the "", but is there other way you can do it? I would like to avouid the zero-value in D1. I know I can make conditonal formatting of D1, or suppress the showing of zeros. Jan I forgot to say, the reason I cannot use a zero in ...

I get updates with EMPTY information before installation, why?
Lately I have been getting some updates that -- prior to installation -- doesn't seem to have any information associated with them, not even a title. See this screenshot: http://www.pvv.org/~fredj/winupdate-20100122-a-empty.jpg It is only when I install the update that I get to know what it contains. Surely Windows Update is not supposed to work like this. What is the problem? Any information appreciated :-) * Fred Fred Johansen wrote: > Lately I have been getting some updates that -- prior to > installation -- doesn't seem to have any information associated...

XML generation of empty elements
I use a dataset to generate XML. By default the generated XML doesn't include empty columns. How can I control the generation so that the entire content of the dataset is comming out as XML, including the empty columns. The purpose is so that a recepient of the XML can empty or NULL a row column in a database. You have to set the AllowDBNull property on each column. see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemDataDataColumnClassAllowDBNullTopic.asp -D "Anders Nilsson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09d301c3be3d$f0f1...

Insert on empty ListView
Does anyone know how to pre-populate a field on a ListView control when the bound datasource is empty? I can do it in Itemdatabound when there are already records but the same process does not work when the datasource is empty. Thanks. -- David Figured it out. I used PreRender event on control. -- David "DavidC" wrote: > Does anyone know how to pre-populate a field on a ListView control when the > bound datasource is empty? I can do it in Itemdatabound when there are > already records but the same process does not work when the datasource is &g...

empty junk e-mail folder
Hi, Using Outlook 2007. When I right click on my junk e-mail folder, the option to empty the junk e-mail folder is not available on the context menu. It is available on my courier indesirable folder and on my deleted items folder. but not on my junk e-mail folder. This is a real pain as the amount of spam I get I have to first select all the emails, then delete them, then after that. Can anyone tell me how to get the option back? Thanks jogdial <jogdial@gmail.com> wrote: > Using Outlook 2007. When I right click on my junk e-mail folder, the > option to empty the junk e-mai...

How can I convert empty strings to empty cells?
Hi there. Hopefully someone can help with something that seems pretty strange. I'm exporting data from access to excel and doing some stuff to the data with pivot tables. In the pivot tables however, blank cells don't register as 'blank' unless I manually go into each cell and hit delete (even though there seems to be nothing there to delete). Here's an example of before: Count of QualityChecked QualityChecked Total (blank) 4 Yes 6 Grand Total 10 and after I delete the data in the seemingly blank cells: Count of QualityChecked QualityChecke...

XMLTransform converts short empty tags to empty long tags

how stop deleted emails reappearing in inbox after emptying trash
I cannot permanently delete my emails - can anyone tell me what I should do to get rid of them permanently? I delete, empty trash, but next time I enter Outlook and press send/receive they all come back! If you're getting your mail from a POP3 (Internet) mail server make sure the Leave mail on server box is unchecked here (in OL2002/2003): Tools menu > Email accounts > View/Change existing email accounts > Highlight your account > Click Change > Click More Settings > Advanced tab "AC Southwark" <AC Southwark @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Deleting empty rows
How can I easily delete empty rows on a huge worksheet (other than sorting)? (Excel 2007) Felix Use filter. Or Select blank rows by using Edit->Goto->Special->Blanks, option and delete "Felix" wrote: > How can I easily delete empty rows on a huge worksheet (other than sorting)? > (Excel 2007) > > Felix ...

How do I eliminate empty cells from plotting on chart
How do I eliminate empty cells from plotting zeros on my chart? I am working on a simple chart that plots weight loss on Y axis and date on X axis. I plot my weight values that I record once a week. The data series is part of a spreadsheet that records diet information on a daily basis. However, because the series of values had six empty cells between weight values, the chart shows each weight value okay but in between you see six zero values. When displaying the chart I go to tools options/chart tab and under plot empty cells as, I click on Plot empty cells as not plotted, and Plot v...

Clipboard go empty when unprotecting sheet !!
Hello, My problem is that in my code I unprotect the sheet and furter down the sub, I try to pastespecial. However, the clipboard go empty when ActiveSheet.Unprotect come... I can't "paste first" or in an other way change order, because the pastespecial is generated by a Application.OnKey "^v", "FormulaPaste" and the Sheet.Unprotect is inside an event witin another macro that starts when you activate the sheet. Any solution? Ive searched everywere ... Imbecill, CutCopyMode gets turned off my many things when the clipboard contains an Excel object. To ...

Question about empty cells
Greetings, I am curious about using empty cells in formulas in other cells - if I leave a cell empty, is "empty" treated as a special state, or is a value of 0.0 (or some other null value) implicit? It's not a big deal, I'm just wondering about computations in other cells that depend on cells which could be empty. I think I get the same result if I leave the cell empty, or if it has a 0.0 value in it. I could, if I wanted to get picky, set up my function to recognize a legitimate zero and take a different result if there is actually a 0.0 there instead of the user leaving...

When I SUM cells & 1 is empty I need the result to be empty not 0
I am summing up cells from two different sheets (1, 2) onto a third. Some of the cell values on the first two sheets may not have anything in them, yet when I type in my formula on the 3rd sheet to sum the cells, I get a 0 value. The project I am working on has values of 0, 1, 2, and 3, so when there is a missing value I need to know about it (I do not know how to get Excel to do this - get no value, not even 0 in the results). Yet, right now when there is a missing value, I get a result of 0, which is confusing since that is one of the values I am interested in. Any help? Does thi...

Empty rows
When I do Shift+Page Down+End+Arrow Down from the first selected row, it goes to row 65,536. How do I get it to go to the end of the report (the last typed row)? Connie Hi clear your used range first: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Connie Martin" <Connie Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:61708D1A-8D45-4213-A35A-54953A8C90E5@microsoft.com... > When I do Shift+Page Down+End+Arrow Down from the first selected row, it goes > to row 65,536. How do I get it to go to the end of the re...