device configuration via PowerShell

A while ago I asked about setting some pointer device related
configuration via PowerShell (specifically the SnapToDefaultButton
property).

My effort to allow PowerShell to assist me in doing that stalled out
at the point where I can tweak the Registry setting associated with
SnapToDefaultButton using PowerShell, but that afterwards it requires a
reboot of the workstation to get it be effective.

Setting that value via Control Panel does not require the reboot.

Now I'm wondering what Control Panel does that I'm not doing via
PowerShell.   I think it must be interacting with a device driver at
some level to get it to re-read configuration.

In theory, should a PowerShell script be able to automate everything
that Control Panel does?

  - Larry
0
Larry__Weiss

> In theory, should a PowerShell script be able to automate everything that
> Control Panel does?

Yes, I know I still haven't gotten around to trying to create a PowerShell
script for this.

In theory, one would hope that PowerShell could do everything that every UI
in Windows is capable of, but that's likely a few Windows versions away, and
depends on whether that appears to be a good time investment by Microsoft.

PowerShell often uses .NET APIs, so it depends on what that API is capable
of doing, and that won't always match up with what the similar Win32 API
and/or P/invoke is able to do (admitting that I don't really understand how
either fully works).

Marco

0
Marco

Try catch finally is not recognized by powershell
Hi, I am trying to execute a script in Windows 2003 box. I wrote a sample program to test try-catch-finally test. But it throws error saying finally is not supported in this version of the language. Sample program i wrote is below ----------------------- Trycatch.ps1 ----------------------- # Create some explicity typed values [int] $i = 123 [string] $s = "Some string" [object] $o = $s # Now try to convert an object into an integer (which will fail) try { # Invalid conversion; o contains a string not an int $i = [int] $o; }# catch the error an...

Queue
Hello everyone! Is there a way to configure the owner of the queue to not receive a copy of e-mails (activities)? Cheers! ...

3rd party apps fail when trying to send via default outlook profil
I have installed 2 different photo software applications (Olympus Master2 and Picasa 3) and have selected to use my default outlook profile when sending pictures. The outlook email form never opens in either app. Sendto mail recipient also doesn't work when I try to send from my desktop. I have upgraded from office 97 to office enterprise 2007. Outlook 2007 opens fine so it could be something with my profile. One error I get when trying to send via Olympus Master2 software is "Cannot find mapidll". I uninstalled Office 97 because I thought maybe there was something ...

Bluetooth Peripheral Devices
I have recently performed the installation of Vista SP1 to my Sony VAIO laptop. I am now getting an error message saying that the driver for "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" is missing. When you try and install an updated driver, it fails. Hi, Have you checked Sony's site for the appropriate download? If it fails when you attempt to install it, what is the failure message? -- Best of Luck, Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Windows help - www.rickrogers.org "Hamth" <Hamth@discussions.micr...

MS Office on Apple Mobile Devices

can excel use automatic carraige returns? and send/recieve data via com port?
Hi I need to design a sheet that is of a set size i.e 20 rows by 20 columns I'm inputting the data with a barcode scanner (via serial port) I need the cursor to automatically go to a new line and start of line once the top line is full of data. I have spent hours reading help and searching the net but to no success can someone please help me here? I also have an even harder problem and that is - can excel send a "?" chr via a com port and then input the response ( a weight in KG) back into a cell? its a set of scales for animals Thanks in advance OK I worked out the 1st part...

Multiple USB Devices on ASUS
Hi All, I am having an odd problem and don't know if it can be resolved. I recently built a new machine using ASUS P5G41-M with 4GB RAM, an Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz processor, and a 380W PSU, running Windows XP SP3. The old Machine was an ASUS P5L-VM, with 2GB RAM, an Intel Pentium D processor, and a 350W PSU, running Windows XP SP3r. The problem: I set up the following USB devices on the New PC exactly as I had on the old PC: 1) USB Wireless Mouse 2) Logitech PC Camera 3) HP Laserjet P2015 Printer 4) HO Officejet 6310 AIO Printer In addition I have now added: 5) 500...

Configuration wizard problem.
I just installed Exchange Server 2003 enterprise edition.=20 Every thing in the install went fine. However when i go=20 through the configuration wizard inside the exchange=20 system manager i get this error There is no server on which this wizard can run. code: 104b56a and then it brings me to a screen that says: ---------------------------------- =B7 You cannot configure Exchange 5.5 or earlier versions to=20 send or receive Internet e-mail using the wizard, so these=20 servers are not available for selection =B7 You cannot run the wizard on Exchange servers that: =B7 Are part of a Wi...

No Devices Listed in ActiveSync Web Admin Tool
I installed the ActiveSync Web Admin tool last week and no devices are showing up. We have multiple devices in our organization that are using ActiveSync to connect, so I don't understand why none are showing up. I haven't been able to find any documentation on it. We have Exchange 2003 SP2. Any info passed along is appreciated! Thanks! -Beau are you doing a search against the users alias? That is how they show up. "Beau" <none@no.ne> wrote in message news:uTjBSJdTGHA.5172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I installed the ActiveSync Web Admin tool last week and...

PowerShell at social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums
Should PowerShell have a forum within this set of webpages? http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories - Larry "Larry__Weiss" <lfw@airmail.net> wrote in message news:eBGf$9D$KHA.1888@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Should PowerShell have a forum within this set of webpages? > http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories I think if more end users become aware of PowerShell there might be a case made to have one in the Answers forums, less so for the MSDN forums. BTW have you tried using the bridge yet? <eg> It s...

Lookup a sheet via a cell's data
I have a 'Total' Sheet and sheets A thru Z. I would like all of the totals in the same positioned cells of A:Z individually lookedup and placed in the 'Total' sheet (ie. ='a'!G45+'b'!G45 ...). Those cells would then be totaled. Because there are quite a few sheets, and all the columns in the 'Total' sheet are alike, I'd like to have each respective row reference a cell in that row. That cell would contain the sheet name (just 'a' for instance). a ='a'!G45 ='a'H45 b ='b'!G45 ='b'...

Outlook client via Internet with dynamic IP
I am attempting to connect to an exchange server from the internet. The Exchange server is on a connection with dynamic IP. I already have a dynamic DNS name resolution, but outlook requires a netbios name, and not a DNS name. Any solution? Thank you in advance Cesare ...

Devices
How to enumerate pnp devices by type? Subject of interest - unknown and unsupported devices? Take a look at the set of SetupDiXXXXXX() API's. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Dmitry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:070101c3b806$2e964360$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How to enumerate pnp devices by type? Subject of interest - > unknown and unsupported devices? It is not decision for me. It'll be working, when drivers of the device correctly installed. I need to get information about unknown de...

USB_RNDIS
Hi, I am using Windows XP USB_RNDIS driver to communicate with USB devices over ethernet. When I plug in more than one device each device shows up on its own interface (eg. Local Area Connection 2, Local Area Connection 3). I want to be able to communicate with all devices on one interface where I set up a dhcp server, is that possible? What I want to do is to bind every USB device to the same software emulated ethernet interface on the host computer. Thanks, Adam On Mar 2, 1:47=A0am, Adam <adam.n.ekl...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am using Windows XP USB_RNDIS driver to ...

Disable OWA via group policy
I know you can go to the properties of an individual user account and disable their ability to connect via OWA. But is there a way to set this in group policy, instead of having to do it on individual users? I am not sure about the group policy question but if you have Windows 2003 you can mass edit this attribute using AD users and computers. I had to do this one time to prevent a disgrunteled (spelling?) employee from deleting email. We disabled OWA for all users temporarily until we could get everyones password changed. Cheers Wouldn't it have been easier to disable the disgruntl...

Windows Network Configuration with XML
Hello everybody, Within a project I have to configure the windows network (ethernet, wlan, firewall...) with the help of an xml file. The configuration data will be stored in an xml file. How can I distribute the data from that xml to the PC? Wich structure such an xml need? Thanks ********************************************************************** Sent via Fuzzy Software @ http://www.fuzzysoftware.com/ Comprehensive, categorised, searchable collection of links to ASP & ASP.NET resources... ...

Sounds and Audio Devices
Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that I have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One example is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the complete removal tool before installing MSE. There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list. As stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice that IE is not a listed program should I change my mind. How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices? Smirnoff wrote: > Although I turn off all alerts in Sou...

office 2007 products configuring on open with windows 7
I have office 2007 home and student and outlook 2007 installed on new computer with windows 7 64 bit. Two problems are occuring. One is the windows installer attempting to reconfigure every time I open any of the office 2007 apps. If I open them with administrator it does not happen. The other is outlook 2007 turns off and on when it is opening. By that I mean the address bar turns on and off in constant 1-2 second intervals which interrupts any function that is occuring such as typing a message or downloading messages. Also if I have another office 2007 app open such as word ...

Usb Device not Recognized
"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned..." Ok I am going crazy here please if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. So im using a Western Digital External hard drive and its been working fine until today. I tried to connect it and I got the error message "one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it" and when I tried to restart my computer it says installing new driver software then it says software was not installed successfully. And when I try to download the device s...

share opos devices
does anyone know if it is possible to share OPOS devices for example share a cashdrawer between 3 tills a bit of a crazy request but something i was hoping it could do ...

exch2k3 sp2 / oma unsupported devices
Hi, since i've updated exch2k3 to sp2, the unsupported devices are not able any more to connect to oma. i did lot of test and modification (set msExchOmaAdminWirelessEnable to 0 ....) nothing has changed ! Could your help me ? Many thnaks for your help. regards. ...

usb device not recognized
My computer is not recognizing any devices I plug into the USB ports. I can charge my cell phone, but my mouse, printer, and external HD don't work. Thanks in advance. :( -- Jojo89 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jojo89's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/186318.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1307545.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

device name different in Devices and Device Manager
Hello. I have developed a device and a driver. I provide the Inf file and everything works well for installing it from WinXP to W7 64 bits. My Inf file provides a Class for that device. Thanks to some instructions like DeviceIcon, I can specify a localized name and an Icon for the class and the device instances for the Device Manager. It works well. However, when the user does not open the advanced Device Manager, but only the "Devices and Printers" pane, my device instance appears with a firmware hard-coded name. I would like to override that name with a "display n...

I cannot sync any devices.
I need help because I can no longer sync any devices I have previously synced before. I was wondering if maybe I could just reinstall WMP to fix it. have Windows Media Player version 11 on windows vista. On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:46:01 -0800, Aaron <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need help because I can no longer sync any devices I have previously synced >before. I was wondering if maybe I could just reinstall WMP to fix it. have >Windows Media Player version 11 on windows vista. Probably the reverse would be a better approach. Head to Control Pane...

Requesting device speed with WinUSB
Hello, I am trying to request device speed with the following code: WINUSB_INTERFACE_HANDLE WinUsbHandle; BOOL boolResult; ULONG length; UCHAR speed; length = sizeof(speed); boolResult = WinUsb_QueryDeviceInformation(WinUSbHandle, DEVICE_SPEED, &length, &speed); My Device is a USB 2.0 device with LowSpeed and FullSpeed transfer but no HighSpeed transfers. Whenever I request the device speed this function reports no error (TRUE == boolResult) but the "speed" variable is set to LowSpeed (0x01), even when my device is working in FullSpeed mode. The UVC...