XP Media Center Corrupt system

I have a laptop with XP Media Center.  When it does start, it tells me the
winlogon.exe is corrupt and shortly after that I get the BSOD with the usual
error message.

I got no disks with this.  Can I repair it with XP Pro disks?
windows.mediacenter 289 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Do you mean running recovery console? If so, yes you should be able to boot
from the Pro disk and run that.

If you mean a repair install, probably not. Even though MCE is built on top
of Pro, it is still considered a separate OS and it wouldn't have all the MC
bits. My guess is, if it did work, you would end up with the MC part not
functioning.

You could reinstall with the Pro disc (assuming you have a valid key), but
you wouldn't have MCE any more.

What laptop do you have, many MFR's included a setup partition on the drive
when they didn't include the actual CD's.
--
James Wolf [MS-MVP]
Orlando, FL

"Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with XP Media Center.  When it does start, it tells me the
> winlogon.exe is corrupt and shortly after that I get the BSOD with the
> usual
> error message.
>
> I got no disks with this.  Can I repair it with XP Pro disks?

0
Jaime
4/23/2010 7:40:00 PM
Can you do an F8 Safe Mode Boot?  If yes run try running check disk.
See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

"Jaime" <jaimelobo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you mean running recovery console? If so, yes you should be able to
> boot from the Pro disk and run that.
>
> If you mean a repair install, probably not. Even though MCE is built on
> top of Pro, it is still considered a separate OS and it wouldn't have all
> the MC bits. My guess is, if it did work, you would end up with the MC
> part not functioning.
>
> You could reinstall with the Pro disc (assuming you have a valid key), but
> you wouldn't have MCE any more.
>
> What laptop do you have, many MFR's included a setup partition on the
> drive when they didn't include the actual CD's.
> --
> James Wolf [MS-MVP]
> Orlando, FL
>

> "Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a laptop with XP Media Center.  When it does start, it tells me
>> the
>> winlogon.exe is corrupt and shortly after that I get the BSOD with the
>> usual
>> error message.
>>
>> I got no disks with this.  Can I repair it with XP Pro disks?

0
Curious
4/23/2010 8:56:26 PM
Try to boot in Safe mode.

"Fix Windows XP Logon"

Under Win XP Utilities.

http://www.dougknox.com/

regards,

S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]

"Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with XP Media Center.  When it does start, it tells me the
> winlogon.exe is corrupt and shortly after that I get the BSOD with the
> usual
> error message.
>
> I got no disks with this.  Can I repair it with XP Pro disks?

American Public University System: Finance Applications Manager Ne
American Public University Finance Application Manager- MS Dynamics Great Plains American Public University System, located in Charles Town, West Virginia, is seeking a qualified Applications Manager with expert knowledge of MS Dynamics Great Plains software. Responsibilities for the position include identification of upgrades and enhancements, development of business requirements and test cases, and maintenance of technical and process configuration for A/R, A/P, and G/L. Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years experience in Informatio...

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

Outlook sending messages attachments corrupt??
Hi there I can't send any messages with attachment any more?? Attachments upon arrival appear as gibberish letters. Or if the attachment is a lager file it produces multiple emails ( up to fifteen single messages) Each email is screened by Norton antivirus 2003. I have not detected virus on my pc. any help would be much appreciated. What is going on?? Regards Norman ...

Public and system folder migration
hi I have a small single site, i introduced 2003 exchange server and moved mailboxes over to 2003 , similarly created a relica on the new exchange 2003 server. WHich other system folders do i have to move over or replicated over to 2003 server, before i could decommision the exchnage 5.5 server. thanks Hello Please peruse the following KB Articles: 822450 How to remove the last Exchange Server 5.5 computer from an Exchange : http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822450 327779 How To Convert from Mixed Mode to Native Mode in Exchange : http://support.microsoft.com/?id=327779 Regards -- ...

Installation of Office XP SP3 issue...
I am using the Outlook 2002 client. Since I have installed Office XP "Service Pack 3", I have noticed that each time a mail message arrives in my mailbox, a window pop's up stating that ... A program is trying to access email addresss you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? etc... This is really annoying. How do I turn this off?? Thanks, Brad See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outl...

After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it
The subject line says it all. On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link button). The error signature is always the same: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is. With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I ha...

Looking for a tool to repair corrupt excel sheet files
I am looking for a tool to repair corrupt excel sheet files. Any body knows? See also post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/dc040b0756273b62/9a108194fe01016e?lnk=st&q=aa+arens&rnum=1#9a108194fe01016e Bart Excel 2003 Hi Bart, Don't know how you corrupted your file, but from the description it seems you data is fine until you reenter data (F2+Enter would cause a reentry). If the sheet is really corrupt it would be more a matter of retrieving what data you can. From your description it sounds like someone selected all the cells on the ...

Office XP transfer of files to new PC
I am transfering files from my old PC to a new one and I want to take my Office XP just as it is on the old one to the new one; settings and all. Anyone know how to do this? First, you must reinstall Office. Then you can configure Outlook to use the same Outlook Data File (PST file) you were using before instead of the new blank one it created when you installed Outlook: - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add... - Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the Options dialog - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or chan...

Microsoft Office XP excel 2003
When I open Excel 2003 the splash screen hangs for 30 seconds to about a minute and then excel opens and behaves normally. All other office programs such as Word etc open quickly and behave normally. If Excel is opened in safe mode , the program opens rapidly without any splash screen at all. Any explanations and indeed a cure for this behaviour ? Regards -- FLYNNE When you open excel in safe mode, you're not opening the addins or stuff in your XLStart folder or your customized toolbar. If you don't have lots of addins turned on and don't have lots of stuff in your XLS...

Exchange system manager #3
Hi everyone, I have a little problem with my exchange servers. I work with 2k3 exchange servers. I have 2 different physicals sites and 1 exchange server on each site. Server 1 can see server 2 in System Manager but can’t see the first storage group’s status on server 2. (I received the error Id No: c1041721 Exchange system manager) When I go on system manager on server 2, I can see both server and first storage group’s status on server 1. From server 2 I can browse all mailboxes or setting in server 1 but not the opposite. In log viewer, I got an error like Source DCOM, Id:10009 and...

Cisco Phone System Integration
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C78BDB.C7C19600 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I know that Cisco has an integration to CRM from their phone system to = handle outbound dialing and screen pops. I am looking for a ballpark price. Anyone know approximately what it = might cost? Alan ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C78BDB.C7C19600 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Searching the CRM System
Hi I was wondering if it is, in any way, possible to search a CRM entity using MSSQL Full Text Indexing? Setting the index up is not a problem, but executing through the SDK is the tricky part. Is it possible and "legal"? ...

Publisher 2002 photo and graphic problems on xp
Microsoft Publisher 2002 works well on my old computer with Windows 98. However, I installed Pub. 2002 in my new computer with Windows XP and have many problems with photos and graphics just showing outline or no image at all. Is 2002 compatable with Windows XP? Yes, Publisher 2002 is compatible with Windows XP, it should work better than it did on 98. View, pictures, detailed display. If this isn't the solution.... Even though your computer is new, it doesn't necessarily mean your video driver is up to date. Try this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel,...

media sharing problems
I'm trying to setup wmp11 to share my media with my xbox360 over my wireless network. when i try to turn media sharing on i get an error messege "Media sharing has been turned off because a required Windows setting or component has changed. For additional assistance, click Web Help" the "web help" page tells me "You've encountered error message C00D0FF4" and carries on explaining to me how to manually start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service using the "services" tab of the computer management page. the big problem with tha...

Money 2001 and xp #2
Hi, I've been using money for some time but just recently I keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be preformed " and each time I go from one account to onther this box keeps poping up and then the other box opens asking do I want to send this report to Microsoft can you suggest for me what to do i CAN'T SEEM TO GET ONTO MICROSOFT TO HELP ME OUT Regards Robert (Australia ) In microsoft.public.money, Robert Herod wrote: >I've been using money for some time but just recently I >keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be &g...

Folder sharing in XP Home vs. XP Pro?
Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think I've done anything different between the two machines when sharing out folders. Yousuf Khan "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b4001f8$1@news.bnb-lp.com... > Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running > XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think > I've done anything different between the two machines when shar...

XP Pro desktop Search updates
Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. The latest update is 4 and I have not installed that. Zeus cf. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2008/06/03/windows-search-4-0-released-to-web.aspx & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 Zeus wrote: > Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the > one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. > The > latest update is 4 and I have...

Can't Send Messages Using Outlook Web Access & XP
Our users with Windows XP cannot send messages using OWA. I've read a few KB articles about some incompatabilities between XP and OWA, but none of the proposed fixes (using the "basic" rather than "premium" client, or changing the security settings in IE) seem to solve this last problem. When they click on "send", it generates an unspecified "error on page". The problem occurs using IE and Firefox, but just on XP machines. My Windows 2000 machine works fine using IE and even my Macintosh using Safari (gasp!) works. ...

AfxDaoInit fails on Win XP SP2
Hi, after deinstalling some test applications and then installing the Win XP SP2 a call to AfxDaoInit() fails with a CDaoException. This usually means that the Jet is missing. Windows however reports that the Jet is now part of the system so its not possible to install the latest Microsoft Jet 4.0 SP as well. Any idea how to check the presence of the Jet and solve the issue? Thank you for your time and help. Regards Thomas Trick ...

System Center Capacity Planner 2006
How is possible download this tool?!?!?!? I've tried some links but it was removed any suggestion?!?!!? It is only available with a Technet subscription. If you do not have one then you'll need to find a friend with one:-) Nue "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> wrote in message news:ue4fjRGZGHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How is possible download this tool?!?!?!? > I've tried some links but it was removed > any suggestion?!?!!? > On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:24:07 +0200, "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> wrote: >How is possible download this...

Outlook XP and VPN
My sales force can not use Outlook when they VPN to our network. Everything seems fine on the mail server. When they open Outlook, they see their mail, but can not do anything with it. Any suggestions? "=?Utf-8?B?UGVycnk=?=" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:915F9EA9-C3F8-42E9-A6E2-611B7AA19773@microsoft.com: > My sales force can not use Outlook when they VPN to our network. > Everything seems fine on the mail server. When they open Outlook, they > see their mail, but can not do anything with it. Any suggestions? What do you mean by "can't ...

UPGRADE XP HOME to XP PRO SP2
I have Windows XP Home, SP3 with latest updates. I purchased Retail Windows PRO with SP2 How do I upgrade my XP home to XP PRO? Either uninstall SP3 from Home Edition or slipstream SP3 into your XP Pro installation media and create a new installation CD. -- -- "LURKER" <feelingdumb@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:uCoY16PdKHA.5228@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have Windows XP Home, SP3 with latest updates. > > I purchased Retail Windows PRO with SP2 > > How do I upgrade my XP home to XP PRO? there is very little difference between ...

2000 Deluxe & Windows XP looks for disk at start up.
Installing 2000 Deluxe on XP Pro system works for awhile then spontaneously starts to look for a disk on startup. The msgbox caption is "No Disk" and the message is something like "Msmoney.exe Put disk in drive D:" The program will open after Ignoring, Retrying or Canceling the prompt. Its just annoying. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a command line switch that might fix the issue. Thanks lemo In microsoft.public.money, Lemo wrote: >Installing 2000 Deluxe on XP Pro system works for awhile then spontaneously >starts to look for a disk on startup. The m...

Outlook 2002 or XP
I am interested in buying a laptop and having it sync with my desktop when I return home from trips. Is there a way to have Outlook sync all files so that they are identical to the desktop automatically? I don't want to have to import export files each time. I would like both computers on a wireless network to update to the most recent data without manual intervention. Similar to a Ipaq or Pocket PC. Thanks, Dave Dave, Refer to this article from Slipstick: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm Chris Schatte use the Office Online web based newsreader here: http://www.micr...