Windows 7 Upgrade

First I stopped at Frys and picked up a 1TB network drive from Omega.
Boy, is storage cheap these days. I could have got more capacity with
a USB drive, but my current policy is to buy only network devices,
printers, etc.

I am very happy with this drive, I didn't even bother installing their
software, just figured out the ip address from my router's log and
connected to it. I very quickly started storing all my old dvd and dvr-
ms files.  I might go buy another one for the whole family to use.

I got the Windows 7 upgrade for $109 at Sam's Club.  Autorun caused an
error message, so I went into the BIOS and set the boot from CD.  This
was the best and easiest install I've ever done. I am very pleased
with Microsoft.

I was lucky in that I didn't really have any apps on this computer to
reinstall.  After all the automatic driver updates, I went into Media
Center, and again the setup was very easy.

Then I switched to live TV, put on my headphones, and no sound!  This
was the problem on the old OS.

I had a moment of silence.  There was no way I was going back from
Windows 7.  I already loved it after only 15 minutes.

See part two....
0
Douglas
3/6/2010 4:47:29 AM
windows.mediacenter 289 articles. 0 followers. Follow

No sound from TV....

I fired up IE and went to YouTube.  The sound there worked fine.  For
the umpteenth time I checked all my connections.

For the past few months I've been pestering this forum with all sorts
of problems.  Sound out of sync, "missing tuner" ,programs not
recorded..I've downloaded drivers, changed settings and grumbled to no
avail.

 I stared at my set top box.

I have another one just like it on my office TV.  I switched
connections and suddenly I had sound.

I'm happy and I've learned something.

I usually am the type that starts with basics, like "is it plugged
in?".  In this case I never suspected the cable hardware although is
was right in front of me the whole time.

' back to loading up my new Windows 7 computer....bye

On Mar 5, 8:47=A0pm, Douglas Tatelman <doug...@pickteam.com> wrote:
> First I stopped at Frys and picked up a 1TB network drive from Omega.
> Boy, is storage cheap these days. I could have got more capacity with
> a USB drive, but my current policy is to buy only network devices,
> printers, etc.
>
> I am very happy with this drive, I didn't even bother installing their
> software, just figured out the ip address from my router's log and
> connected to it. I very quickly started storing all my old dvd and dvr-
> ms files. =A0I might go buy another one for the whole family to use.
>
> I got the Windows 7 upgrade for $109 at Sam's Club. =A0Autorun caused an
> error message, so I went into the BIOS and set the boot from CD. =A0This
> was the best and easiest install I've ever done. I am very pleased
> with Microsoft.
>
> I was lucky in that I didn't really have any apps on this computer to
> reinstall. =A0After all the automatic driver updates, I went into Media
> Center, and again the setup was very easy.
>
> Then I switched to live TV, put on my headphones, and no sound! =A0This
> was the problem on the old OS.
>
> I had a moment of silence. =A0There was no way I was going back from
> Windows 7. =A0I already loved it after only 15 minutes.
>
> See part two....

0
Douglas
3/6/2010 4:54:26 AM
Glad you've got it figured out & fixed - and thanks for the reminder or
pointer, whatever it is :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0

> My question is did you have Windows XP when you installed the Windows
> 7 upgrade from SAMS?  If XP, then want edition?, e.g., Home Premium?
> Pro? I have started some research on how to best move from Windows XP
> Home Premium or XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro or Enterprise. Thank you,
> Ken
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/Windows-7-
Upgr
> ade

Backup your current Data before starting.

There is only one good way to move to Windows 7. A clean install on the
C: partition. For Media Center, you have to choose one of the Premium
versions.

Comparison of Windows 7 versions.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare

If you don't have your hard drive partitioned into more that one
partition you should do that when you install Windows 7.

It is a good idea to have your data on a separate partition from your
Operation System.

If your OS crashes, you can restore the OS without messing up your data.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

If you do it as an "upgrade" you don't really lose any files.  Both
times I copied tons of stuff to another drive, but as long as you have
the disk space, the new install doesn't touch the stuff.

Obviously you have to reinstall programs.  It then renames your
Windows folder windows.old, which I just deleted after I knew I wasn't
rolling back.

With some caveats, I have to say the this was the best upgrade or OS
install I've ever done.  Everything is done for you, it finds drivers
easily and the media center works great.

On Mar 25, 6:18=A0am, kenlanderson <u...@msgroups.net/> wrote:
> My question is did you have Windows XP when you installed the Windows 7 u=
pgrade from SAMS? =A0
> If XP, then want edition?, e.g., Home Premium? =A0Pro?
> I have started some research on how to best move from Windows XP Home Pre=
mium or XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro or Enterprise.
> Thank you,
> Ken
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/Window=
s-7-Up...

0
Douglas
3/25/2010 4:18:11 PM
Thank you for all your advice.  Did you use a Windows 7 Upgrade CD/DVD?  If so, were you able to boot from it to begin the process of doing the clean install?

The reason I am asking is that I have a Win 7 Upgrade DVD that we are unable to boot from.  The boot sequence includes CD/DVD drive and other bootable CDs and DVDs will boot from the PCs that we have tried it on. I was expecting to be able to boot from it to do a clean install.
When I look at DVD with Windows Explorer I can double click on the setup.exe, which brings up Windows 7 screen with a  brings up an install option.

Since we aren't sure what it will do, we will test this next week on an older CPU with XP Home Premium on it.
Thanks much,
Ken
On 25/03/2010 8:04 PM, kenlanderson wrote:
> Thank you for all your advice.  Did you use a Windows 7 Upgrade CD/DVD?  If so, were you able to boot from it to begin the process of doing the clean install?
>
> The reason I am asking is that I have a Win 7 Upgrade DVD that we are unable to boot from.  The boot sequence includes CD/DVD drive and other bootable CDs and DVDs will boot from the PCs that we have tried it on. I was expecting to be able to boot from it to do a clean install.
> When I look at DVD with Windows Explorer I can double click on the setup.exe, which brings up Windows 7 screen with a  brings up an install option.
>
> Since we aren't sure what it will do, we will test this next week on an older CPU with XP Home Premium on it.
> Thanks much,
> Ken
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/Windows-7-Upgrade

As I recall, Microsoft has changed the upgrade mechanism for Windows 7.
Whereas previously you could boot from the upgrade CD/DVD and insert a
qualifying OS CD/DVD when requested, upgrades must now be performed from
within an installed, qualifying (and possibly even activated) operating
system. So given all that, I can quite understand that Windows 7 upgrade
DVDs aren't bootable.

0
Mark
3/25/2010 8:36:17 PM
Thank you much.  I appreciate your help.  Ken
I used the "upgrade" DVD  64 bit.  It did have an autorun.inf that I
was able to boot from.  I had to change my BIOS and watch the screen
for confirmation. The instructions said to run it from XP, but that
didn't work.

It still goes through a little checking for an authentic previous
Windows version.

On Mar 25, 5:13=A0pm, kenlanderson <u...@msgroups.net/> wrote:
> Thank you much. =A0I appreciate your help. =A0Ken
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/Window=
s-7-Up...

0
Douglas
3/26/2010 6:03:20 AM
Interesting that the DVD would not boot from XP because that is what happened to us.  Will try next week.
Thanks,
Ken
0
kenlanderson
3/26/2010 4:02:13 PM
Do you mean you could not run Setup.exe on the DVD from XP?
Or do you mean you could not boot it from your DVD drive?

"kenlanderson" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> Interesting that the DVD would not boot from XP because that is what
> happened to us.  Will try next week.
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/Windows-7-Upgrade

0
Curious
3/26/2010 5:36:05 PM
I got some sort of error message with a bunch of hex numbers and
stuff, so just switched to booting directly.

Didn't even bother trying the second time, went straight to the boot.

On Mar 26, 10:36=A0am, "Curious" <nob...@nspam.com> wrote:
> Do you mean you could not run Setup.exe on the DVD from XP?
> Or do you mean you could not boot it from your DVD drive?
>
> "kenlanderson" <u...@msgroups.net/> wrote in message

> > Interesting that the DVD would not boot from XP because that is what
> > happened to us. =A0Will try next week.
> > Thanks,
> > Ken
>
> > ---
> > frmsrcurl:
> >http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/Windows-7-Up...

0
Douglas
3/26/2010 6:25:28 PM
I still could not boot from DVD (have XP).  I could run setup.exe. Install went sort of OK.  What I wanted to do is to format the hard drive and then do a clean install of Win 7(I have Win 7 Enterprise Upgrade).  Any ideas?

I did create a Windows.old and then deleted it.  However there are quite a few XP folders left on C drive.  Most don't have anything in them. I wanted to have a clean Win 7 installation.

If I can restore the drive, then I will try an install of the Upgrade again and not create Windows.old to see if that leaves a cleaner drive C.

I appreciate any ideas.

> I still could not boot from DVD (have XP).  I could run setup.exe.
> Install went sort of OK.  What I wanted to do is to format the hard
> drive and then do a clean install of Win 7(I have Win 7 Enterprise
> Upgrade).  Any ideas?
>
> I did create a Windows.old and then deleted it.  However there are
> quite a few XP folders left on C drive.  Most don't have anything in
> them. I wanted to have a clean Win 7 installation.
>
> If I can restore the drive, then I will try an install of the Upgrade
> again and not create Windows.old to see if that leaves a cleaner drive
> C.
>
> I appreciate any ideas.
> Thanks much,
> Ken
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter/Windows-7-
Upgr
> ade

It may be that you need to change the setting in BIOS to boot from the
CD/DVD.

In order for the computer to boot from a DVD or CD it has to be enabled
in the Motherboard BIOS.

The only way to get a clean install of any OS, you must either re-
partition or Format the C: partition.

I do not know the requirements to use an UPGRADE Windows 7 DVD. Upgrade
usually means you must have the system you are upgrading from. (Windows
XP).

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Z Report #7
Hi everyone, I need to understand the X Report. Specially when you use layaways, is not clear to me where it shows the payments against the final sale. Is there a document that would explain each line of this report??? Thanks, Sacha can't remember where I found this. hope it helps Register - Number given to register where report was produced Batch Number - The number assigned by Store Operations to identify the current batch. Batch Status - Shows whether the batch is closed or not Start Date - Date when batch begins Start Time - Time when batch begins End Date - Date when batch...

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Windows Vista

Upgraded to 2003 Now the 'Type to Fnd Contact' button is broken
Hi, I have upgraded from Outlook XP to Outlook 2003. All the contacts are visible, but when I use the 'Type to find contact' button Outlook cannot find any matching contacts (although they are definitely there). Anyone know what is wrong or how to fix it? Thanks Paul Right click on your contacts folder, go to properties, outlook address book, and tick the box. Paul wrote: > Hi, > > I have upgraded from Outlook XP to Outlook 2003. All the contacts are > visible, but when I use the 'Type to find contact' button Outlook > cannot find any matching contacts (a...

open windows

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Uninstalling PowerShell in Vista Home to upgrade to Vista Ultimate
I have Vista Home on a Dell studio laptop. I have just reinstalled this after a HD replacement. I am trying to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. A Compatibility check during the start of the upgrade says to uninstall Windows PowerShell. I went to the microsoft support site for guidance. I am unable to see PowerShell or its KB in the list of installed updates as the guidance said I should see. Hence, I am unable to select it to uninstall. The list of installed updates only says "Update for Microsoft Windows" or "Hotfix for Microsoft Windows." How can I get it to show ...

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows recovery console

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Windows update error

upgrading
I have a basic question. When I upgrade from office 2002 to 2003, will I lose all my contacts? wendy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a basic question. When I upgrade from office 2002 > to 2003, will I lose all my contacts? No need to ask more than once. -- Brian Tillman >-----Original Message----- >I have a basic question. When I upgrade from office 2002 >to 2003, will I lose all my contacts? >. >sorry. I'm impatient. Thought the first one didn't take! lol Just answer the feckin question Brian. "Brian Tillman&quo...

How Do I Remove Page # From Cover Sheet w/ Windows 2007?
I am writing a paper in Windows 2007 and cannot have a page number on the cover sheet. Help! Thanks : ) Presumably you mean Word 2007 since (a) there is no Windows 2007 and (b) Windows is not a word processor. Click in the header/footer to open it. In the Options group of the contextual Header & Footer Tools | Design tab, check the box for "Different First Page." Leave the First Page Header/Footer empty. If you need to start the numbering with 1 on the the second page, click on Page Number, choose Format Page Numbers, and change the "Page numbering" set...

please help, a complex migration/upgrade scenario
Hi there I am in need of urgent help on this one. We have one NT server as PDC. We have a second NT server, a member server and it hosts the exchange 5.5 for emails. Now we need to upgrade the environment to 2003, i.e. Windows 2003 server and Exchange 2003.. We need to upgrade to only one windows 2003 and also host the exchange 2003 on the same server. Also, we need to keep the old NT server for a while and we can take exchange 5.5 off once exchange is migrated. I am not sure of the route that I need to take. I know the swing method for the windows 2003 upgrade, where in my case, I would ...

We can't sign you in to Windows Live Messenger
For several days I've been unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger. I keep getting the same error: "Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" Error code 80048820 I've clicked troubleshoot to try to fix this problem, but troubleshoot couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried to reset my password, but this doesn't seem to work, because on the change password page I have to enter those security numbers and letters but they don't appear. When I listened to the audio and...

Windows Workflow Foundation
Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would be greatful Simon After much searching and trawling through C# examples that as its friday i didn't want to convert.. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2e575633-e357-4ee7-aaff-34138f00e830&displaylang=en Simon "Simon Whale" <simon@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23zfF5ScwKHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would > be greatful > > > Simon > ...

windows mail window
When I press send or receive, I get the emails but an error message appears. There is nothing left in the draft file and I eliminated the email that wouldn't go through. I want to clear this message from the windows mail window. Please help me. Jackie Carpenter What does the error message say? Right-click on it, select Copy, then paste it into a reply here. -- Windows 7 Ultimate http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview http://download.live.com/wlmail "jwcarpenter" <jwcarpenter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B5D0223-EE44-4C4E-9...