Can't reboot after installing Service Pack 3

I have a 3 year old HP desktop, running Windows XP.  I had to do a PC restore
due to a virus (PC restore lost all my docs and images, dang it).  I reloaded
my Office Professional 2000 (I need Word and Excel), and then downloaded and
ran Microsoft upgrade Service Pack 3.  All went very well until I tried to
restart. The computer will not boot up. It tries and tires and tires until I
finally turn it off.

I've done this twice with the same outcome.

I use AVG 9.0
windows.mediacenter 289 articles. 0 followers. Follow

wnen you call HP they till you too  restore!
and how to Kill that  virus ?

Did you Click on Windows Update
and Scan for updates
and it will say PICK UPDATES TO INSTALL
And you install from there ?

For your 3 year old HP will have Service Pack 3,, !
if you been Running Windows Update for 3 years !
 But it stat 3 year a go  with Service Pack 1,,,  !
then update to Service Pack 2... !~!
 Now they are Service Pack 3.. !~!~!

Now you need that CD that HP send you to Reboot with right!
Now you need a good  a MVP

"ToniBologna" <ToniBologna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a 3 year old HP desktop, running Windows XP.  I had to do a PC
> restore
> due to a virus (PC restore lost all my docs and images, dang it).  I
> reloaded
> my Office Professional 2000 (I need Word and Excel), and then downloaded
> and
> ran Microsoft upgrade Service Pack 3.  All went very well until I tried to
> restart. The computer will not boot up. It tries and tires and tires until
> finally turn it off.
>
> I've done this twice with the same outcome.
>
> I use AVG 9.0

0
Hot
1/5/2010 11:23:48 PM
You might want to repost in an XP General group for more/better help, this
one is for problem and issues associated with Windows Media Center.

When you repost, you might want to give a little better description of the
problem other than " It tries and tires and tires until I finally turn it
off. " How far into the boot does it get? Do you get the "Starting Windows"?
Can you get to Safe Mode (press F8 while starting, before the Windows
screen)? What SP was installed when you did the initial restore? Etc., etc.
--
James Wolf [MS-MVP]
Orlando, FL

"ToniBologna" <ToniBologna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a 3 year old HP desktop, running Windows XP.  I had to do a PC
> restore
> due to a virus (PC restore lost all my docs and images, dang it).  I
> reloaded
> my Office Professional 2000 (I need Word and Excel), and then downloaded
> and
> ran Microsoft upgrade Service Pack 3.  All went very well until I tried to
> restart. The computer will not boot up. It tries and tires and tires until
> finally turn it off.
>
> I've done this twice with the same outcome.
>
> I use AVG 9.0

0
Jaime
1/6/2010 1:12:20 AM
You need the HP installation disk to do a Repair Install and that will
effectively get rid of SP3. And next time before installing SP3 read the
following KB article:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

regard,

S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]

"ToniBologna" <ToniBologna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a 3 year old HP desktop, running Windows XP.  I had to do a PC
> restore
> due to a virus (PC restore lost all my docs and images, dang it).  I
> reloaded
> my Office Professional 2000 (I need Word and Excel), and then downloaded
> and
> ran Microsoft upgrade Service Pack 3.  All went very well until I tried to
> restart. The computer will not boot up. It tries and tires and tires until
> finally turn it off.
>
> I've done this twice with the same outcome.
>
> I use AVG 9.0

> signature database 4746 (20100105) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4746 (20100105) __________

http://www.eset.com

Not a Media Center related question, and a simple Google search would have
found an answer.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3A*&q=hp+sp3+fix&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1
The very first link gives you a fix.

"ToniBologna" <ToniBologna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 3 year old HP desktop, running Windows XP.  I had to do a PC
>restore
> due to a virus (PC restore lost all my docs and images, dang it).  I
> reloaded
> my Office Professional 2000 (I need Word and Excel), and then downloaded
> and
> ran Microsoft upgrade Service Pack 3.  All went very well until I tried to
> restart. The computer will not boot up. It tries and tires and tires until
> finally turn it off.
>
> I've done this twice with the same outcome.
>
> I use AVG 9.0

0
David

OWA HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable #2
I just installed FE Exchange 2003 server. All users are getting that error message. Before that everything worked fine. Tried all suggestions but still at the same point. Any help is really appreciated. What suggestions did you try? What changes did you make? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "VIMS" <VIMS98@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message news:0EE2152B-B20C-4771-AB7D-9F053595B5DC@microsoft.com... >I just installed FE Exchange 2003 server. All users are getting that error > message. > Before that everyth...

no sign of BCM after install
installed Outlook 2003 with BCM - no sign that install happened even though there were no errors during install. Installed patch required for SBS 2003 environment... Verified in Registry that LoadCondition = 3 to load BCM It simply is not showing up anywhere (other than those registry keys) that I ever installed it. PLEASE help. matt@endeavor-inc.com >-----Original Message----- >installed Outlook 2003 with BCM - no sign that install >happened even though there were no errors during install. > >Installed patch required for SBS 2003 environment... > >Verified in R...

password to open outlook #3
Is there : 1) a way to password protect Outlook to open it (similar to OE)? (not the password to get the email on the server but to open it up initially). 2) a way to have multiple identities in Outlook (similar to OE)? Carl ...

SBS2003 Installation
Does anyone know whether I can load enough components from SBS2003 installation without loading exchange to support BES. If possible I'd like to Install SBS2003 on a separate machine, load BES, and connect to our SBS2008 exchange, as opposed to purchasing Server 2003. Thanks. No. SBS was not designed to be installed piecemeal. Just as importantly, two SBS machines cannot exist on the same domain. This is both a legal and technical restriction. For companies that need BES, SBS 2008 Premium is a good choice as it comes with a second-server license. -Cliff "...

Error 80004005 on install -- additional info
I get the error message 'Unspecified error 80004005' when I try to install CRM version 1.0. CRM server is being placed on a P4 2.2GHz/510MB system that also has Exchange 2003 on it. SQL Server is on another system that is also 2.2GHZ with 512MB. They are both on the same domain. When I try to install I get the above error message and there is nothing 'new' on the SQL Server. On checking the logs for both machines I have found that the logon for SQL fails due to the use of a 'null' username. This occurs whether I use the 'localmachine' security account or speci...

Moving CRM 3.0 SQL Databases
I have a requirment to move the CRM databases from one SQL server in a Domain (Customers) to another SQL server in a different domain (MyDomain). i have created a new CRM server in MyDomain and would like to move the customers data to MYSQL server. Can anybody suggest the best method to achieve this miogration? Use the redeployment tools found on the CD. Should be in a folder named Redeploy. "Steve Haggerty" wrote: > I have a requirment to move the CRM databases from one SQL server in a Domain > (Customers) to another SQL server in a different domain (MyDomain). i h...

KB977165 wants to install over and over
Good morning, I successfully (I thought) downloaded and installed KB977165 on Feb. 10 but as soon as I was finished it was once again offered as an available update. I have my Microsoft Updates set to notify me when one is available but not to download it. For the record I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8 and fully patched. I utilize Avast (Free) as my anti-virus and Comodo (Free) as my firewall and also check for spyware with Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Trojan...

Group emails #3
Is it possible in Outlook 2000 to send an email to a group of recipients but when each recipient receives the email only their address shows in the "To:" window? Cheers William William M <witmedia@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible in Outlook 2000 to send an email to a group > of recipients but when each recipient receives the email > only their address shows in the "To:" window? Word Mail Merge -- Brian Tillman ...

re-installing clip art
I have Windows XP and Microsoft Word 2002. My computer hard drive had to be re-formatted and Word reinstalled. In doing so, the original clip art that came with Word cannot be found. Is there a way I can search for clip art files that might exist now on the hard drive and if so, how can I install them so they can be accessed from Word's clip art menu? OR, if the clip art files are not now on the hard drive, how can I find them either on the internet or Word's installation disk and install them? best, Aaron If the drive has been reformatted and then written to,...

Redemption installation
I can't test / use Redemption. I use Windows XP with Office 2003 (both German Version) I tried to install Redemption on 2 Computers. I tried with the installation routine and with RegSvr32. Both installations seems to be successfull. (Entries in the registry) After linking the .dll in Access. - I see all the classes (incl. SaveMailItem) in objects. But they are NOT available in the Code ! BUT: The command "saveItem=createObject("Redemption.SaveMailItem")" results in error: "creating object with activeX component not possible" WHY ????? - hopefully anyone ...

How do you Ensure using DAO 3.51?
How does one "ensure that the 97 database is using DAO 3.51 and compile your database to this reference."? Thank you If it is the only entry into your references then Access 97 will use DAO 3.51. Do not have ADO referenced or any other version of DAO, such as 3.6. "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19a8701c44d8b$4d70af80$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How does one "ensure that the 97 database is using DAO > 3.51 and compile your database to this reference."? > > Thank you > ...

Address Book View #3
Hi, I'm trying to make use of the Address Book Views in Exchange 5.5 sp4. Currently I can create a Address Book View, but can't add new contacts into it. I can only use Recipient Containers for addressing. I would like to have an Address Book or Recipient Container that is can be sorted by users' company. So far I managed to create a custom Recipient Container called Internet Recipients which houses all frequently contacted internet customers. I have to prefix them with their company e.g., ABC--Al Bob Microsoft--John Doe Microsoft--Mary Jane Is there a better way of doing ...

Field Service
Hi All, Can someone please be kind enough to explain how does exactly the escalation process work as defined in the Service Type>Escalation. Thank you in advance. Kind regards, Josh ...

Re-installing XP
XP is already installed on my computer but missing some things. Can I re-install XP over the old files and what happens...do I generate excess old files or does the new installation just overwrite the files? Thanx, Bill Johnsoon Please submit this question in a Windows XP newsgroup. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Billl Johnson" wrote: > XP is already installed on my computer but missing some things. > Can I re-install XP over the old files and what happens...do I generate > excess old files or does the new installation just overwrite the files? > Thanx, Bill Johnsoon &g...

Scheduled Instalments
Hi all, I wanted to explore Scheduled Instalments. I could not see the 'Instalments Schedule setup' menu from Tools >> SetUp >> Company as given in the Document. Can somebody help me in this regard Regards Yagna ...

Exchange 2003 Require Services
From what I've read the following services are required to be running for an Exchange 2003 server. If you are not utilizing OWA on your back-end servers, do you have to have World Wide Web, NNTP, ASP.NET, and .NET Framework installed and running? If so, why? Exchange 2003 equired services: � World Wide Web � SMTP � NNTP � ASP.NET � .NET Framework Thanks for any info, Dan "Dan" <Dan@aol.com> wrote: >From what I've read the following services are required to be running for an >Exchange 2003 server. If you are not util...

Unable to start the user defined service ... timeout 30000 millise
I have written a windows service having a form Could not start the service on local computer. The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. I am trying to register the using: hService = CreateService(hSCManager, "MyService","MyService",SERVICE_ALL_ACCESS,SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS,SERVICE_AUTO_START,SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL,"E:\MyService.exe",vbNullString,vbNullString, vbNullString, "LocalLSystem", "") In the service's form i have this code: Private Sub Form_Load() Call SubClass(Form1.hW...

Copy outlook setting to new install
Using MS Outlook 2000 (sp2) I've just setup same program on new PC & would like to copy all previous email folders & news folders/news server settings etc... so they look identical. Had a look at Export but doesn't seem to do complete export - is this possible another (easy) way? thanks harry Outlook is not a news reader and therefore never contained any of your newsgroup data. You were most likely using Outlook Express for news. For your email information simply reuse the same PST file your precious installation was using (*.pst). It's where all the mail, calendar...

installing update for Office for mac v. X
Downloaded update. When tried to install the update, error message showed, "Default location required for this installation could not be found. This installation will be cancelled." How do I install the update? Thanks for your help. et On 12/16/03 7:51 AM, in article 0cae01c3c3ec$7c18bcc0$a301280a@phx.gbl, "ed" <edtacie@cet.com> wrote: > Downloaded update. When tried to install the update, error message > showed, "Default location required for this installation could not be > found. This installation will be cancelled." > > How do I ins...

Galmod #3
Is there a tool from Microsoft like Galmod for Exchange 2003? If not what is the best thing to use to have users update the GAlS info. Thanks ...

Installation Steps of GP
hi, im a System Administrator and im Planning to learn Great Plains ,Please advise me from where to start( i mean from which module ),i want to know the installation and implementations steps. waiting for ur reply Hi There is a administrator pdf file on CD1 that explains requirements and how to install MGP. Regards James "Mohammed Abiduddin Ghori" <Mohammed Abiduddin Ghori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BF8AEE0-B93B-4BD5-939B-C3032AC81047@microsoft.com... > hi, > im a System Administrator and im Planning to learn Great Plains ,Please > advi...

How do I setup separate in-boxes for my family's 3 e-mail addrss?
Please advise.....i've set up 3 new e-mail accounts in Outlook but the e-mail to all 3 accounts dumps into the same in-box.....is there a way to create an separate in-box for each account? thanks not if they are pop3 accounts - but you can use rules to move them or if using outlook 2003, search folders to view them separately. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook...

Reboot loop
I have an older Systemax here with XP Home Edition (SP3) that keeps rebooting itself whether or not in Normal or Safe Mode. I have the restore CD and can get in to the Recovery Console OK. I ran chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr. Those didn't fix it. So I cloned the drive just for good luck and then tried to do a repair install. The install went as far as examining the disk, copying files, and then rebooted... only to go back into the reboot loop. These people use their computer every day and keep their updates up to date so I'm guessing it is NOT related to the MS update that...

Excel calling WCF service
Does anyone know how to do this reliably? I have several Excel applications that presently create XML of data and Post it to an ASP site. This has been working for about 10 years. Now that I'm upgrading the site to ASP.NET MVC, I'm trying to change old ASP files that were receiving the Excel requests, with WCF services and I'm not able to get it to work. I've tried the WCF Moniker system and that doesn't work. Has anyone been able to call a WCF service from Excel 2003 or 2007 Windows? Thanks, ...

Inventory #3
I am about to do our physical inventory count and I noticed when I run the Phycial Inventory Report (Detailed) then go to Show/Hide columns and click on Expected Qty there is a problem. The Expected Qty is showing all 0. I need this column to show the actual inventory that the system thinks is on hand. When I ran my inventory last year it did show a proper count on Expected Qty. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If...