[Meta] This newsgroup

So... Microsoft is "discontinuing" this newsgroup...

but... that's not really going to have much of an effect, will it?  Other
than eliminating a bit of the noise we get from people not knowing there was
a web bridge to it and posting random things at times...

Microsoft might send a cancel group... but they tend to be ignored by most
news providers... and I kinda think they won't actually do that anyway...

So... isn't that going to really mean "business as usual" around here?

--
Reginald Blue
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my

0
Reginald
6/1/2010 5:52:39 PM
windows.mediacenter 289 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Reginald Blue" <Reginald_Blue@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Microsoft might send a cancel group... but they tend to be ignored by most
>news providers... and I kinda think they won't actually do that anyway...
>
>So... isn't that going to really mean "business as usual" around here?

Not really.  Posts made from the web forum won't propagate to the orphaned
groups left behind on the private NNTP servers.

G. Morgan <usenet_abuse@gawab.com> wrote:

> "Reginald Blue" <Reginald_Blue@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Microsoft might send a cancel group... but they tend to be ignored
>>by most news providers... and I kinda think they won't actually do
>>that anyway...
>>
>>So... isn't that going to really mean "business as usual" around
>>here?
>
> Not really.  Posts made from the web forum won't propagate to the
> orphaned groups left behind on the private NNTP servers.

This can be considered a VERY good thing!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
XS11E
6/2/2010 1:46:12 PM
XS11E wrote:
> G. Morgan <usenet_abuse@gawab.com> wrote:
>
>> "Reginald Blue" <Reginald_Blue@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft might send a cancel group... but they tend to be ignored
>>> by most news providers... and I kinda think they won't actually do
>>> that anyway...
>>>
>>> So... isn't that going to really mean "business as usual" around
>>> here?
>>
>> Not really.  Posts made from the web forum won't propagate to the
>> orphaned groups left behind on the private NNTP servers.
>
> This can be considered a VERY good thing!

Yeah, that was my point.  :-)

--
Reginald Blue
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone.  My wish has come true.  I no longer know how to use my
telephone."
 - Bjarne Stroustrup (originator of C++) [quoted at the 2003
International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces]

0
Reginald
6/2/2010 6:05:00 PM
Microsoft is a news provider
Who is Sharing with news providers
They are stopping the Sharing by Close the Microsoft public  Groups

Now if you are a member with a PV news providers and paying for a serves
And that provider would like to pay for the bridge of Microsoft Forums for
you!
Say that good right
But nntp Sharing no more
for all the MS MVP help and info will be at Microsoft Forums
Not at UseNet NetWorks!

"Reginald Blue" <Reginald_Blue@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So... Microsoft is "discontinuing" this newsgroup...
>
> but... that's not really going to have much of an effect, will it?  Other
> than eliminating a bit of the noise we get from people not knowing there
> was a web bridge to it and posting random things at times...
>
> Microsoft might send a cancel group... but they tend to be ignored by most
> news providers... and I kinda think they won't actually do that anyway...
>
> So... isn't that going to really mean "business as usual" around here?
>
> --
> Reginald Blue
> "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
> telephone.  My wish has come true.  I no longer know how to use my
> telephone."
> - Bjarne Stroustrup (originator of C++) [quoted at the 2003
> International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces]

0
Hot
6/7/2010 10:48:47 PM
Some of the newsgroups I subscribed to are already gone.

"Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft is a news provider
> Who is Sharing with news providers
> They are stopping the Sharing by Close the Microsoft public  Groups
>
> Now if you are a member with a PV news providers and paying for a serves
> And that provider would like to pay for the bridge of Microsoft Forums for
> you!
> Say that good right
> But nntp Sharing no more
> for all the MS MVP help and info will be at Microsoft Forums
> Not at UseNet NetWorks!
>

> "Reginald Blue" <Reginald_Blue@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> So... Microsoft is "discontinuing" this newsgroup...
>>
>> but... that's not really going to have much of an effect, will it?  Other
>> than eliminating a bit of the noise we get from people not knowing there
>> was a web bridge to it and posting random things at times...
>>
>> Microsoft might send a cancel group... but they tend to be ignored by
>> most news providers... and I kinda think they won't actually do that
>> anyway...
>>
>> So... isn't that going to really mean "business as usual" around here?
>>
>> --
>> Reginald Blue
>> "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
>> telephone.  My wish has come true.  I no longer know how to use my
>> telephone."
>> - Bjarne Stroustrup (originator of C++) [quoted at the 2003
>> International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces]

0
yuppicide
6/21/2010 2:23:16 PM
I've noticed plenty of them disappearing.

What that first meant to me is best expressed as the single word
"expletive".

But now I have had the chance to reflect and consider, what it means is
this:

I realise just how much I truly "needed" every single one.
And now I have to find something to do to fill the emptiness that they used
to occupy.

I shall switch off my computer, and go out into the world, and meet people
more than I did before.
I shall embrace Analogue Life.

That's about it.

"yuppicide" <nosir@nosir.com> wrote in message
> Some of the newsgroups I subscribed to are already gone.
>
> "Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Microsoft is a news provider
>> Who is Sharing with news providers
>> They are stopping the Sharing by Close the Microsoft public  Groups
>>
>> Now if you are a member with a PV news providers and paying for a serves
>> And that provider would like to pay for the bridge of Microsoft Forums
>> for you!
>> Say that good right
>> But nntp Sharing no more
>> for all the MS MVP help and info will be at Microsoft Forums
>> Not at UseNet NetWorks!
>>

>> "Reginald Blue" <Reginald_Blue@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> So... Microsoft is "discontinuing" this newsgroup...
>>>
>>> but... that's not really going to have much of an effect, will it?
>>> Other than eliminating a bit of the noise we get from people not knowing
>>> there was a web bridge to it and posting random things at times...
>>>
>>> Microsoft might send a cancel group... but they tend to be ignored by
>>> most news providers... and I kinda think they won't actually do that
>>> anyway...
>>>
>>> So... isn't that going to really mean "business as usual" around here?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Reginald Blue
>>> "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
>>> telephone.  My wish has come true.  I no longer know how to use my
>>> telephone."
>>> - Bjarne Stroustrup (originator of C++) [quoted at the 2003
>>> International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces]

0
name

newsgroup
when i try to publish a news via OWA (http://my_server/public) from an admin account i got an error massge "Resources not found". I can log into my server and i see all the public folders. What's wrog? ...

META
Hi! When I try to find my webpage through google, by searching for a name or two that are on the page, it's not among the found pages. How do I change the "words associated with" my page (the META-something)? La_eriza wrote: > Hi! When I try to find my webpage through google, by searching for a name or > two that are on the page, it's not among the found pages. How do I change the > "words associated with" my page (the META-something)? Google for 'meta tags'. Here's one good one to get you started: http://www.philb.com/metatag.htm You ca...

OE and Outlook fight over newsgroups
Why was NNTP support left out of Outlook? Sure, you can do newsgroups, but only with a local Exchange server. (This group probably is hosted by one and those on the correct side of Microsoft's firewall can probably use Outlook to read messages here.) Strangely enough, Outlook (at least 2000 and 2002) attempts to register itself as the default newsgroup reader. What is the point? If that newsgroup is not local, Outlook just loads OE. But then, OE complains that it is not the default newsgroup reader. I keep changing it, and Outlook keeps changing it back. If Outlook really wants the...

the right newsgroup?
I posted it here since I couldn't find an Exchange newsgroup... -- rvangeldrop ...

Unable to send to Newsgroup
I have recently switched to WLM from OE. I have been able to send and receive in OE for 5 years to the same newsgroups. Since the switch, I am able to receive without issues.... but when I reply, the post does not show up as posted. To make matters worse, on the post on replied to... a pink/red type figure is showing on top of the first couple of letters in the subject line. When I go to the actual newsgroup, it is not showing there either. I have checked and rechecked my newsgroup settings. The college states that I have the correct settings/ports and all the right check boxes ...

NewsGroup For Common Controls?
Is there a news group for common controls? A place that might have an answer for this: Re: Can't Adjust Size of Balloon-Style ToolTips?? I tried to set the rectangle size for a tooltip control in a handler for TTN_SHOW using the SetWindowPos function (and the TTM_ADJUSTRECT message), as outlined at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/tooltip/messages/ttm_adjustrect.asp This works fine for a normal-style tooltip. My call to SetWindowPos lets me set both the position and the size of the tooltip. But when I set TTS_BALLOON in order...

Live mail/ hotmail newsgroup???????????
I've created two new account using live mail / hotmail - I'm using those accounts with Live Mail desktop As a result both accounts have been locked out - which is a pain because I've set them up for online shopping and now M/Soft have hung me out to dry There is an online forum for Hotmail issues but because of this total blunder by MSoft with automated executing of customers the forum is receiving about 500 requests per day to unlock legitimate user accounts - not surprisingly the forum is no longer being serviced by MSoft staff Yet just another example of over ...

Newsgroups
I am having a problem with Newsbin I can not get any headers to download. I have added groups from the Download Groups List from the server. I right click on the group and choose download latest next show post I get no activity my newsbin suppose to sectionedd off with groups and search I only have groups. I am using Newsbin Pro 5.5 I need HELP can someone give me a little insight my email lwalker51@gmail.com or lwalker51@bellsouth.net. On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:44:18 -0500, LARRY WALKER wrote: > I am having a problem with Newsbin I can not get any headers to download. >...

Meta tags in webpages
I have been creating interesting webpages using Word 2003 for some time. Several professional web designers pointed out that I do not have any Meta name keyword lines in the html. After opening the HTML Source, I tried to add lines similar to those I found in other published sites but when I saved the page, Word either totally changed the content or removed the lines. In searching for an answer, I found on the Microsot site (but cannot find again) that the Keyword box in the Properties window in Word will place keywords into the HTML. It said that this will satisfy the search eng...

[Meta] This newsgroup
So... Microsoft is "discontinuing" this newsgroup... but... that's not really going to have much of an effect, will it? Other than eliminating a bit of the noise we get from people not knowing there was a web bridge to it and posting random things at times... Microsoft might send a cancel group... but they tend to be ignored by most news providers... and I kinda think they won't actually do that anyway... So... isn't that going to really mean "business as usual" around here? -- Reginald Blue "I have always wished that my computer would...

Meta Tags
How do i add other meta tags into an existing publisher webiste? Tools > Web page Options. Search engine information. In the future, please post web related questions in microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign and we will try to help you there. Thanks. DavidF "Warpedone101" <Warpedone101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA75AB12-3E78-4E50-9EB2-251748E5F1E0@microsoft.com... > How do i add other meta tags into an existing publisher webiste? ...

newsgroup problems
Hello Suddenly I am not able to get onto the newsgroup I use. I am given the following message: Windows Mail was unable to switch to the newsgroup 'uk.sci.weather' on the server 'news.virginmedia.com' 480 Authentication Required. Does anyone know what this means and how do I get back onto the newsgroup please? Trevor Smith It means exactly what it says: Authentication Required. Contact your ISP. trevor wrote: > Suddenly I am not able to get onto the newsgroup I use. I am given the > following message: > > Windows Mail was unable to ...

Newsgroup message formatting question
I'm noticing that when I respond to newsgroup messages the previous message text is not indicated with >>> at the beginning of each line. I opened "Options/Send/Plain Text Settings/indent the original text with ">" when replying or forwarding" and confirmed it's checked. Is this just a bug? Also when I insert a signature the carriage returns are missing. In other words all the text is appearing on the same line instead of multiple lines - another bug? Those are known bugs in the Wave 4 beta. Microsoft is aware of them. Gary Va...

old newsgroups
What folder in Vista home premium contains the newsgroups you visit? Windows 95 and 98 had a windows system folder that kept the names of the newsgroups until you deleted them...Thanks "Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote in message news:%231v2QulhKHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > What folder in Vista home premium contains the newsgroups you visit? > Windows 95 and 98 had a windows system folder that kept the names of the > newsgroups until you deleted them...Thanks What are you wanting to do? The folder that WM uses is at C:\Users\*your us...

Reducing Spam Associated with Posting to Newsgroups
Due to a recent increase in spam sent to posters in newsgroups, Microsoft advises that newsgroup participants should consider avoiding posting to newsgroups using their real email address. Microsoft is also committed to continuing to address the issue of spam from a technological perspective. To help avoid receiving unwanted messages (spam) in your regular e-mail account, you may not want to include your regular e-mail address when you post a question or reply to a post in a discussion group. Instead you may want to do one of the following: * Use a modified e-mail address: Use a different v...

Photos on this newsgroup?
Can I post photos/links (photobucket) to this newsgroup to help show what I mean in my post. It is to help with the added (used) HDD to another PC. Many thanks Steve moonraker said this on 12/16/2009 5:43 PM: > Can I post photos/links (photobucket) to this newsgroup to help show what I > mean in my post. > > It is to help with the added (used) HDD to another PC. > > Many thanks > > Steve > > Its not that you can't, it's that you are requested not to. This is not supposed to be a binaries newsgroup, and binaries take...

How can I convert newsgroup to text
I'd like to make a database re: information from a newsgroup. Is there an inexpensive way to mass convert downloaded messages to a simple text file? How about individual posts to seperate text files? Thanks If I see any I like I copy and then paste into notepad and have built up quite a library over the years. I then save in "My documents". I do the same with the emails I wish to keep as it makes it much easier in transferring to a new computer. "AKA Gray Asphalt" <goodidea1950@hotmail.spam.com> wrote in message news:nKrzg.39785$AB3.7847@fed1read02... >...

Scraping Meta Tags
Hi everyone, Im trying to find a way to get meta tags into my sheet, Im using IE.document.Title to get it in and it works fine, but does anyone have any examples of how to get in other tags, such as keywords, or descriptions etc.. Any help would be awesome, Cheers Saint ive found this code which can be used in html, could this be used in script in excel? function getKeywords () { var metaElements = document.all ? document.all.tags('META') : document.getElementsByTagName ? document.getElementsByTagName ('META') : new Array(); var metaKeywords = new Array()...

newsgroups #17
hello they put office 2003 on my machine today. it took away my outlook express it wants me to use outlook for my newsgroups it says to add "news" to the go menu there isn't any "news" in the commands!!@! it wont let me re-install outlook express i don't like using this web based newsgroup interface how to get my newsgroups back? thanks Right click on Outlook Express, click "Properties". Add this =BB = /outnews=AB after "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" so that = it now reads "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"...

Read Newsgroup
Hi. How Can I read and write to newsgroups from MS Outlook 2003. Now I'm writing from Outlook Express. Thanks for answers. Markk wrote: || Hi. || How Can I read and write to newsgroups from || MS Outlook 2003. Now I'm writing from Outlook Express. || Thanks for answers. You can't unless a) you use a third-party add-on or b) you are in an exchange environment and there are public folders set up. Outlook calls OE for newsreading under all other circumstances -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk Express is the news reade...

Private newsgroups for MSCRM v3.0!
Posts for MSCRM v3.0 should be posted on private news groups. Please read this document to see how to gain access: https://microsoft.order-7.com/CRMPartnerBeta/resources/newsgroups.doc Thanks, Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands Anyone else having problems accessing the beta newsgroups. Followed the info in the doc but says invalid username/password. "Ronald Lemmen" wrote: > Posts for MSCRM v3.0 should be posted on private news groups. Please read > this document to see how to gain access: > > https://microsoft.order-7.com/CRMPartnerBeta/resources/newsgroups.doc &...

Newsgroup Button
Yes it worked. Thank you. ...

problem with meta file
hi, I need to use MetaFiles to capture my output to a file. I have a Single document and I use MM_HIMETRIC. The problem is that the metafile created is not the same as my output. No texts are displayed correctly, etc. The meta file has problems with the fonts. Any idea? thanks, Behzad Behzad, Some functions asking the CDC for information has no use in metafiles, so if you are, for example, creating font sizes based on the resolution, your metafiles will have errors. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "bn" <b@b.com> a �crit dans le message de news:%23leaNPRDFHA.464...

Lost Newsgroups
All the newsgroups I subscribe to including, Outlook & Excel seem to be no longer available on ""msnews.microsoft.com."" except this one. Can anyone tell me where they've gone & how I get them back. donwb On 08/20/2010 02:05 PM, donwb wrote: > All the newsgroups I subscribe to including, Outlook& Excel > seem to be no longer available on ""msnews.microsoft.com."" > except this one. > Can anyone tell me where they've gone& how I get them back. > donwb > > They're gone forever using ms...

Monospaced font in newsgroups
Hello! How can I set fixed-width font *only* for newsgroups in Windows Live Mail? Thanks in advance The Read fonts setting applies to mail and news. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "Tomasz Konojacki" <xenu536@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:11DF22C6-AC5B-41AA-B4D4-750BA7881086@microsoft.com... > Hello! > > How can I set fixed-width font *only* for newsgroups in Windows Live Mail? > > Thanks in advance ...