Windows live messenger has stopped working - Windows 7

when I boot my PC and start Windows 7 WLM during the startup phase stops
working before it has fully started.  If however i start it after the boot up
process is complete it works fine.  I am using Window 7 64 Home Prem...  and
am running a new ATI 5800 series card, have 4g of ram etc.....

Any ideas?  I have read through the posts on this board and i do not see my
problem though it is likely related to the other ones i have seen.
windows.live.messenger 427 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Greetings,

It might be a bit hard to isolate what's causing this without disabling other things starting
at startup, as it's probably just a bad window hook.

Given you probably don't want to deal with loosing functionality by disabling whatever is
causing the problem anyway, I could write you up a quick thing to just have Messenger wait 30
seconds or so before it starts at startup, do you think that would be an acceptable
workaround?

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger

"EMU" <EMU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when I boot my PC and start Windows 7 WLM during the startup phase stops
> working before it has fully started.  If however i start it after the boot up
> process is complete it works fine.  I am using Window 7 64 Home Prem...  and
> am running a new ATI 5800 series card, have 4g of ram etc.....
>
> Any ideas?  I have read through the posts on this board and i do not see my
> problem though it is likely related to the other ones i have seen.

0
Jonathan
1/11/2010 11:05:38 AM

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> It might be a bit hard to isolate what's causing this without disabling other things starting
> at startup, as it's probably just a bad window hook.
>
> Given you probably don't want to deal with loosing functionality by disabling whatever is
> causing the problem anyway, I could write you up a quick thing to just have Messenger wait 30
> seconds or so before it starts at startup, do you think that would be an acceptable
> workaround?
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
> --
>

> "EMU" <EMU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when I boot my PC and start Windows 7 WLM during the startup phase stops
> > working before it has fully started.  If however i start it after the boot up
> > process is complete it works fine.  I am using Window 7 64 Home Prem...  and
> > am running a new ATI 5800 series card, have 4g of ram etc.....
> >
> > Any ideas?  I have read through the posts on this board and i do not see my
> > problem though it is likely related to the other ones i have seen.
>

> .

I have the same problem.  It started when I was using the RC1 version and
updated my LifeCam software to version 3.0.  I went back to the previous
version of LifeCam (v2.91) and the problem disappeared.  For me, with the new
release of windows 7 64 bit, I installed LifeCam V3.0 and use a start up
delay of 15s on windows live messenger.
I confirm: same problem on all PCs running 7, MSN Messenger, and the latest
Lifecam software.

"jebyrne" wrote:

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > It might be a bit hard to isolate what's causing this without disabling other things starting
> > at startup, as it's probably just a bad window hook.
> >
> > Given you probably don't want to deal with loosing functionality by disabling whatever is
> > causing the problem anyway, I could write you up a quick thing to just have Messenger wait 30
> > seconds or so before it starts at startup, do you think that would be an acceptable
> > workaround?
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan Kay
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> > MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> > MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> > Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> > (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
> > --
> >

> > "EMU" <EMU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > when I boot my PC and start Windows 7 WLM during the startup phase stops
> > > working before it has fully started.  If however i start it after the boot up
> > > process is complete it works fine.  I am using Window 7 64 Home Prem...  and
> > > am running a new ATI 5800 series card, have 4g of ram etc.....
> > >
> > > Any ideas?  I have read through the posts on this board and i do not see my
> > > problem though it is likely related to the other ones i have seen.
> >

> > .
> >
> I have the same problem.  It started when I was using the RC1 version and
> updated my LifeCam software to version 3.0.  I went back to the previous
> version of LifeCam (v2.91) and the problem disappeared.  For me, with the new
> release of windows 7 64 bit, I installed LifeCam V3.0 and use a start up
> delay of 15s on windows live messenger.
McAfee's Norton Anti Virus is most likely  crashing your Live Mail program.
Even if you think you have uninstalled it.

Dell and many other computers come with Norton Anti-Virus installed.

Simply using the Windows Uninstall doesn't remove all of the offending
Norton code.  You also need to run a separate cleaner called MCPR see:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

A more complete discussion is at
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

------- Extract from McAfee Technical Service note TS 100507 is below
--------------
How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the
McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool. This option should
only be used after you remove your McAfee product through Add/Remove Programs.

"EMU" wrote:

> when I boot my PC and start Windows 7 WLM during the startup phase stops
> working before it has fully started.  If however i start it after the boot up
> process is complete it works fine.  I am using Window 7 64 Home Prem...  and
> am running a new ATI 5800 series card, have 4g of ram etc.....
>
> Any ideas?  I have read through the posts on this board and i do not see my
> problem though it is likely related to the other ones i have seen.

emails sent from work
I sent emails from work to home address yet the messages are not in my inbox. Why not? do I have to set up somehow? "dummy" <dummy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32256DDD-4E7B-48F7-AF7A-2D2080B94BFB@microsoft.com > I sent emails from work to home address yet the messages are not in > my inbox. Why not? do I have to set up somehow? Inbox where? ...

How do I stop outlook automatically creating calender and contact.
Whenever I attach a file, or save an attachment, two folders are automatically created in that location: "outlook calender" and "outlook contacts". They are both empty. I don't want this to happen from any location. How do I turn this feature off? I can delete them manually, but they re-appear when outlook is online, and I can only permenantly delete them when I exit from outlook. The very next time I attach a file or save an attachment, those folders pop up again in the location of the file. What Outlook add-ins do you have installed? any odd programs show...

Converting Pulisher 98 files to work with Publisher 97
Can anyone help me with this. I did some work from home with Publisher 2003 and saved as Publisher 98. I thought that's what we had at work, but just found out we have Publisher 97. Can anyone help? Thanks, June Send me the file, I will convert it for you. It will lose formatting somewhat. gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "June G." <JuneG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A2C930C-A716-4C3A-A171-365E113E002B@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me...

Autocorrect not working #2
Outlook 2003. I have autocorrect turned on and also correct while typing and it doesn't work. I am not using word as my email editor and I have checked use autocorrect when word is not the default editor. Messages are created in HTML, not plain text or rich text. Can anyone help? Colin ...

Mercury to stop EBT support, Need a second supplier
Mercury just called me two days ago and told me they would stop using TPI and would no longer offer the value-added support for peripherals and EBT! Where else can I got for a processor that supports EBT and RMS? david Go to TPISoft.com and use any of the processors their RMS client (which Mercury uses) supports. If you can't decipher the info on the web site, call them. They'll get you set up. Mercury uses Global Payments as their processor, so could you. Email me if you'd like to be put in contact with a Global rep. Mercury is switching from TPIsoft to the "prefe...

How to stop inbound mail sent from invalid domains
I'm aware of senderID in Exch2003 SP2. I'm also aware that this does not solve my problem. We are getting hammered with spam...sent from fnord. Example: FROM: sdlkfjsd@udududud.tuuuu TO: ValidUser@MyCompany.com I understand that senderID is used to stop forgery (if the world+dog added SFP info to DNS zone and they have not yet) but SenderID goes above and beyond what I'm looking for...I'm asking for something more basic. How to I get exchange to drop email sent such that the server email address's domain is totally bogus? (Forget SPF records...the domain does not eve...

How do I find where I stopped editing a document?
In Word 2003, I could use Shift F5 when I opened a document to find where I left off editing it the last time I opened it. This doesn't seem to work in Word 2007, at least not consistently. Is there some other menu item or keyboard shortcut I can use, or are there some circumstances under which Shift F5 will work? Unfortunately, it doesn't work in XML (*.docx) documents, only those saved in Word 97-2003 format. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Shortcut Jane" <Shortcut Jane@discus...

Works Suite 2002??
I have Works Suite 2002 that came with my Dell 4500 Windows XP Home. Can I import/export file from outside sourses or do I need to upgrade to something else such as Office Standard Edition 2003? Will what I now have work? H E L P Hi Frank you'll have to provide a little bit more detail: - what kind of files do you want to use - What are 'outside sources'? In general (AFAIK) MS Works can open Excel files (though you may loose some format information and not all formulas will work) Frank Frank L wrote: > I have Works Suite 2002 that came with my Dell 4500 > Windows...

Win98SE, Excel2000: Newly created ODBC from Excel tables work only, when source workbook is opened !!!
Hi During last days I encoutered a problem. When trying to create an ODBC query from Excel tables, ODBC don't see any named ranges in source workbook, when the source workbook is closed. When I open the source workbook, named ranges in source workbook are visible and I can create the query. But when I close after that the source workbook, and try to refresh the query, the error message is displayed: [Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object "MyNamedRange". Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path correc...

How to enter PO through Business Portal 2 for GP 9 on IE 7
When i start busniess Portal to Enter Purchase Order through terminal services on Internet Explorer 7.... A blank window will appeare and nothing else ..... and when i run the same thing on Internet Explorer 6 then it works. How do i Fix it. Regards ...

Money stopped working with WAMU
Ever since Washington Mutual updated their website my Microsoft Money downloads stopped working with those accounts. I upgraded to Money Plus and this is still not working. Microsoft Support is non responsive. Can anyone help me resolve this problem? Thanks, -Lary wrote: > Ever since Washington Mutual updated their website my Microsoft Money > downloads stopped working with those accounts. I upgraded to Money Plus and > this is still not working. Microsoft Support is non responsive. Can anyone > help me resolve this problem? > > Thanks, > I downloaded two ...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #4
Thanks for the help so far guys, it's been a little while since responded. I tried copying the general cell and paste special with no luck. Whe trying the =isnumber(Cell#) thing I have found that some cells retur true and some return 0. I'm not sure what that means. If I highligh the cell, hold F9 and press the fx button, the dialog box opens an states the argument and the result. The result is right in the dialo box, but when I close it the only thing that shows up is 0 in th cell. Please help -Jorda -- kalik24 -----------------------------------------------------------------...

Excel stopped automatically setting print area :-(
I like using the print area preview mode. I did something (think a copy/paste command), and now Excel has stopped automatically expanding the print area as I input data into new cells. Is there an easy way to make Excel do the auto print area expansion again? I know there's a weird formula/macro out there that can do it, but I prefer simplier methods. Maybe just resetting the print range would be enough. In xl2003 menus: File|print area|clear print area phillr wrote: > > I like using the print area preview mode. I did something (think a copy/paste > command), and now Ex...

out of office rules not working
I have some users here that occasionaly travel and they have rules setup so that mail from certain people are forwarded to someone else here. For some reason, a couple months ago or so, it doesn't forward anymore. I can specify a user as a delagate to give access to the mailbox, but I'm interested in knowing why the rules are no longer working. Running outlook 2003 with exchange 2003 Forwarding to someone outside of the Exchange organization? This is disabled by secure default on Exchange. To enable see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/automaticreply.htm -- Robert Sparn...

Outlook stopped working
I can't connect to any of my accounts, it happend overnight without me doing anything. I get this message: The server responded with an error. Account: 'xxxxx, Server: 'pop.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Service not available (server error)', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90 Same message on all accounts. Does anyone have an idea? tx Regards, Egmont em_CT USA did you try rebooting the computer and the cable modem? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Ho...

'Count' query not working
Hello All Why isn't this working: SELECT [x confirmed].practice, [x confirmed].[ni code], Count([x confirmed].[ni code]) AS [CountOfni code] FROM months INNER JOIN [x confirmed] ON months.[month name] = [x confirmed].[month name] WHERE (((months.year)=[Forms]![frm x main]![year])) GROUP BY [x confirmed].practice, [x confirmed].[ni code] HAVING (((Count([x confirmed].[ni code]))>1)); I want it to give a count of the unique values of 'ni code' for each value of 'practice' in table [x confirmed] - but only where there is more than 1 different 'ni code&#...

conditional tab stops
I have cboSolutionLocation and cboStatus on a form. I do not want to be able to tab to cboSolution until cboStatus ="complete". I then want to make it mandatory to have to enter something in cboSolutionLocation. I am sure there is code form this but a s a newb I don't know it yet. Tab stop is off in propoerties for cboSolutions TIA Dave To disable cboSolutionLocation until cboStatus = "complete", use the AfterUpdate event procedure of cboStatus to set the Enabled property of cboSolutionLocation. Do the same in the Current event of the form. Use error handling to...

How to stop junk emails in Exchange Server 2000
Dear Exchange Experts, We are using Windows 2000 Adv Server SP4 and Exchange Server 2000 SP3. Our problem is junk emails. When we open Exchange System Manager, in current sessions we see many connections which are all junk. How to stop this junk sessions which are getting connection to our server and dumping all unwanted junk emails in our Q. for the moment, we right click in the session window and select terminate all sessions. We tried to contact our local ISP and change the IP address for our router also. We even formatted our server thinking that some bugs or virus has affected ou...

OWA causes Information Store to stop Exchange 2003
I have a new and rather strange problem. Just this last week, I have come to an exchange server to find the Information Store stopped, with a corresponding useless message in the event viewer stating that the service has stopped. I am an administrator for several exchange servers on several networks and did the following research. Call it: XP Box = my win xp computer updated, virus free running development software of MS products. server1= My development / test server running win 2003 with Exchange 2003. Server2 = Win 2k running exchange 2003 Server3= win 2003 running exchange 2003 So any ...

IE8 stops responding & must close
On certain web pages I visit, IE8 brings up an error message saying that it stopped responding & must close. Any ideas on what this is & how I can fix it? I only have the standard plug-ins on IE8. Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet E...

Help links in Outlook Don't Work
When I click on a link in Outlook help section nothing works. The space on the right hand side of the help page is totally blank. What can I do to fix this? Thanks in advance. Candy Have you run Office Diagnostics from the Help menu? Do you have Offline = content enabled? Were you querying Online content while disconnected = from the Web? --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 "Candy" <Candy@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

8.5 x 7.00 memorial folder
Hi, I was using publisher 2003 to make custom memorial folders for the funeral home I work for. I changed the page size to 8.5x7.00 and they printed correctly on my Konica Minolta 5550. We recently upgraded to MS OFFICE 2007 and tried using the new publisher to create the same memorial folder setup. I have added the 8.5 x 7.00 to the custom page setup, added that size paper to my printer setup(something i didn't have to do with Publisher 2003) and it still will not print. It changes my page settings BACK to 8.5 x 11 regardless of what size paper I select, and when it does pr...

WOW FREE WEBSITE for 7 days #2
--_NextPart_00009788-000014DD-002598C6-8CDA Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit WOW I just found this site www.leonardjamespromotions.biz about making a BIG DOLLARS with your own site the guy made a BIG DOLLARS in 3 months www.leonardjamomotions.bizesprI just had to learn how he did it --_NextPart_00009788-000014DD-002598C6-8CDA-- ...

CRecordset IS not working or throwing Exception on some Win XP Build 5.1 SP2 machine
Hi, I have a VC7++ VS2003 program that uses CRecordSet to write one record to a SQLAnywhere database via ODBC, a Code Sniplet is contained below, on most machine running the same OS and Build it works flawlessly, however on this one XP Build 5.1 SP@ machine it never ends up writing the record. Nor does it give any errors. Can someone please help with letting me know how to resolve this. Also I tried creating a program in c# using ODBCDataAdapter and was able to write records to this database.. MY VC7 VS2003 code sniplet below is this: CRecsetTemplates* pRST2 = new CRecsetTemplates( m_p...

Speakers don't work...
My computer speakers suddenly stopped working... I replaced them with new ones, but that did not help. Someone told me to check the sound card drivers?... don't know how to do that. Please help. T. So you cannot find your previous post? "Terry" <redmunds (remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message news:%236NDjYukGHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > My computer speakers suddenly stopped working... I replaced them with new > ones, but that did not help. Someone told me to check the sound card > drivers?... don't know how to do that. Please help. > T. &g...