We can't sign you in to Windows Live Messenger

For several days I've been unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger. I
keep getting the same error:

"Signing in to Windows Live Messenger  failed because the service is
temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" Error code 80048820

I've clicked troubleshoot to try to fix this problem, but troubleshoot
couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried to reset my password, but this
doesn't seem to work, because on the change password page I have to enter
those security numbers and letters but they don't appear. When I listened to
the audio and entered the numbers, I was taken to the following page, but
there was again some error message that an error occurred and that I should
try again later. I've tried again later, but it's the same every time.

The Windows Live Solution Centre page for this error (80048820) tells me to:

1. Verify that the Date and Time Settings on the computer:.....
    I've looked at my date and time settings; I can't see anything wrong
with them. How critical are these settings, what's wrong and what's right? a
day out, an hour out, a minute out, a second out? I'm in New Zealand where
the dates that daylight saving starts and ends are different from the
information in Windows XP (SP2), but the current time and date settings on
my computer are correct I've tried both enabling and disabling
'automatically adjust clock for daylight saving'

2.  Set Internet Explorer security settings:
    These seem to be OK

3.  Reregister the SSL security libraries
    Now here's where I run into difficulties, because windows cannot find
REGGSVR32 Mssip32.dll. All the other SSL security libraries get registered
correctly. I assume this may be the reason why I'm unable to log in to
Windows Live Messenger, but how can I fix this? Where can I find this
library, why would it have disappeared?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Rouke

0
Rouke
4/16/2010 9:32:18 PM
windows.live.messenger 427 articles. 1 followers. Follow

This any help?

'Error Code: 80048820 - Windows Live'
(http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!15380.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=522107413)

The fact that my reply to you posted above your question indicates your
computer clock is way off.

--
Ex_Brit

::*-::*-Peter-*::-*::
-Toronto, Canada-
-x64 Vista Ultimate SP2 & Windows 7 Ultimate-
0
Ex_Brit
4/17/2010 11:04:32 AM
On my computer this post shows it was sent in July 2010, so check your date
again.
Niki

"Rouke" <bouke.rakker@rapaside.net.nz> wrote in message
> For several days I've been unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger. I
> keep getting the same error:
> > 1. Verify that the Date and Time Settings on the computer:.....
>    I've looked at my date and time settings; I can't see anything wrong
> with them. How critical are these settings, what's wrong and what's right?

Hi,

It's regsvr32 (not reggsvr32).  mssip32 is a protected file in XP SP2, so you'd actually have
to take great lengths for it to be missing.

An accurate date/time is critical however for proper SSL/Messenger/Windows Live ID login
operation.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger

"Rouke" <bouke.rakker@rapaside.net.nz> wrote in message
/snip/
>    Now here's where I run into difficulties, because windows cannot find REGGSVR32
> Mssip32.dll. All the other SSL security libraries get registered correctly. I assume this
> may be the reason why I'm unable to log in to Windows Live Messenger, but how can I fix
> this? Where can I find this library, why would it have disappeared?

0
Jonathan
4/18/2010 3:50:34 AM
Thanks for spotting this. I kept overlooking this all the time..... MSN
works again. Very embarrassing. I wonder how my computer clock managed to
get this far off though.

"Ex_Brit" <guest@unknown-email.com> schreef in bericht

> This any help?
>
> 'Error Code: 80048820 - Windows Live'
> (http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!15380.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=522107413)
>
> The fact that my reply to you posted above your question indicates your
> computer clock is way off.
>

> --
> Ex_Brit
>
> ::*-::*-Peter-*::-*::
> -Toronto, Canada-
> -x64 Vista Ultimate SP2 & Windows 7 Ultimate-

0
Rouke
4/18/2010 11:02:35 AM
Well, the misspelling must be the reason why Windows couldn't find. I copied
and pasted the names of the dll's from the help pages on Windows Live
Messenger's web site ;-)

thanks,

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> It's regsvr32 (not reggsvr32).  mssip32 is a protected file in XP SP2, so
> you'd actually have to take great lengths for it to be missing.
>
> An accurate date/time is critical however for proper SSL/Messenger/Windows
> Live ID login operation.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature
> or citation
> --
>

> "Rouke" <bouke.rakker@rapaside.net.nz> wrote in message
> /snip/
>>    Now here's where I run into difficulties, because windows cannot find
>> REGGSVR32 Mssip32.dll. All the other SSL security libraries get
>> registered correctly. I assume this may be the reason why I'm unable to
>> log in to Windows Live Messenger, but how can I fix this? Where can I
>> find this library, why would it have disappeared?

0
Rouke
4/18/2010 11:05:45 AM
You're welcome.

Peter

Rouke;1255577 Wrote:
> Thanks for spotting this. I kept overlooking this all the time..... MSN
> works again. Very embarrassing. I wonder how my computer clock managed
> get this far off though.
>
> "Ex_Brit" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> schreef in bericht
> news:51e9a2b3ba2d303080731815cc89ab7e@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > This any help?
> > >
> > > 'Error Code: 80048820 - Windows Live'
> > > ('Error Code&#58; 80048820 - Windows Live'
> > (http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!15380.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=522107413))
> > >
> > > The fact that my reply to you posted above your question indicates
> > your
> > > computer clock is way off.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Ex_Brit
> > >
> > > ::*-::*-Peter-*::-*::
> > > -Toronto, Canada-
> > > -x64 Vista Ultimate SP2 & Windows 7 Ultimate- > >

--
Ex_Brit

::*-::*-Peter-*::-*::
-Toronto, Canada-
-x64 Vista Ultimate SP2 & Windows 7 Ultimate-
0
Ex_Brit
4/18/2010 12:17:22 PM
"Rouke" <bouke.rakker@rapaside.net.nz> wrote in message
> For several days I've been unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger. I
> keep getting the same error:
>
> "Signing in to Windows Live Messenger  failed because the service is
> temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" Error code 80048820
>
> I've clicked troubleshoot to try to fix this problem, but troubleshoot
> couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried to reset my password, but this
> doesn't seem to work, because on the change password page I have to enter
> those security numbers and letters but they don't appear. When I listened
> to the audio and entered the numbers, I was taken to the following page,
> but there was again some error message that an error occurred and that I
> should try again later. I've tried again later, but it's the same every
> time.
>
> The Windows Live Solution Centre page for this error (80048820) tells me
> to:
>
> 1. Verify that the Date and Time Settings on the computer:.....

The date of this message is July 16, 2010 so check your computer date and
time again.

The rest snipped---------------------

Ron P

0
Bogey

Passport sign-in unsuccessful SOLUTION!!!
ok, i was getting the sign-in unsuccessful error that many money users seem to be having. after doing an extensive search here on google groups and did all suggested solutions it still wasn't working - so what i did was to go to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\ and delete the Money folder with all its subfolders (there was \12.0\something with xml files in them). after that passport sign-in worked like a charm. hope this helps anyone who has the problem Thank you for your helpful tip. It did work on my computer as well. I was so anno...

windows xp professional
After i log on, while uniblue is still running, a 'pop-up' appears next to the hidden icons arrow. It states: "your computer is at risk, no firewall. Click this balloon to protect your computer". Yet when i go into "control Panel" the settings are as they should be. This has happened 1/2 a dozen times. Is my firewall on or off? Thanks.. -- Steve, Horsecamp. Unfortunately, you posted your message in a Dynamics forum. You should post your question in a Windows XP Professional forum. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Steve" wrote: > After i log on, while...

file security in windows 7 ultimate
Hi all, wasn't sure where to post this - but I can't seem to find any way to set security permissions on files in windows 7 ultimate. I've read in some posts online that if you right click on a file/ folder there is a security tab. Unfortunately when I click on a file/ folder - there is no security tab available. The only tabs available are: General Tools Hardware Sharing ReadyBoost Previous Versions Customize Essentially I want to prevent all non administrative users from accessing my secondary drive and possibly some folders on the primary. Thanks, Novice ...

Can I put a windows folder into outlook2003 display?
I need to know how to put a windows folder on the left hand display that directs to a windows directory to keep my outlook from getting full. Create new user folders and put emails in there instead of the default = folders Right click on Personal Folders on the left side in OL and select New = Folder. Give it a name=20 --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Hanson23" <Hanson23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:8113C273-5B6A-432A-9305-D0A4672EF783@microsoft.c...

Exchange 5.5 backup with Windows 2000 backup
I want to use my Windows 2000 Backup to backup my exchange directories. When I try to set it up I notice the Check boxes are grey. If I dbl Click them, it comes up with a message box asking which server I want to query. I browse to my local exchange server and the message queries and goes away. Unfortunately, the check box stays grey. How can I enable this? Thanks Your picking the Exchange option. It knows what to backup for a proper restore - thus it won't list the files. You should be able to pick Directory Service and Information Store otherwise post a screenshot. -- Ho...

Win7, IE8, CRM, Outlook, IFD, self-signed cert, certificate error
Strange problem - I've got CRM 4.0 running with IFD. IFD works fine from Internet Explorer. There is a self-signed certificate. In IE, IFD & the self-signed cert works fine, either with a warning or if the cert is installed to the local PC, with no warning. In Outlook, IFD has been working fine for many months. I've just noticed a a few Windows 7 clients that the Outlook client fails with invalid certificate errors. The client loads fine and integrates the Outlook navigation interface, but if the user tries to open any CRM item, gets a 'navigation blocked' error. ...

Referencing calling window for custom CRM
Hi, I remember reading in one of the many manuals/documents relating to customizing CRM, that when linking from a CRM entity window to a separate asp.net app (via the isv.config file), that the separate app can call back to the CRM window using a particular object (like window.caller or windows.opener or something). Essentially what i am wanting to do is to have a button on a CRM form that opens up a separate window with my app in it (easy). Then when the user clicks a button in the app window, or closes the app window, I want it to refresh the contents of the CRM form. Am I asking too muc...

Uncontrolled scrolling in Windows Mail
HELP!! My Windows Mail (V6.0.6000.16386 running on Vista) suddenly has started freaking out. When I open it, or when I click to open an email, it begins madly scrolling from the newest emails to the oldest. It will stop if I click on the reropen email but trying to stop it in any other way doesn't work. If I'm deleting emails, it will let me go from one to the next, but if I try skipping over one forget it--it begins scrolling like crazy again. I've closed the program and even restarted the computer so that doesn't do the trick. Can I update Mail without l...

Date in cell shows as pound signs
Using Excel 2000. I have pre-formated worksheets in which the date columns are formatted to show the date style as 12-Nov-03. All worked fine until yesterday when the entries began to show up as pound signs. When I look at the formatting for the cell, it appears to be formatted correctly. I have checked with entries entered before yesterday and the formatting appears the same. My knowledge of the program is fairly rudimentary but I thought I could do the basic cell formatting by clicking Format, Cells, Number, Catagory - Date, etc. What am I missing here? Most grateful for your help....

how to eliminate ####sign and shortcut signs..
ie1: For instance keyed in 11111111111 in the cell, endup displaying 1.111111E+17 Qns: How to display my desired data which is '11111111111'. ie2: Intend to key '111,112,113....120' on cell, given 'pre-adjusted' column and numbers continue on next row below and next. Given '111,112....120' taken up 3rows and able to fill ideally,without the outcome shown ###### sign. 'Resize' column/row adviced, i just wanted the numbers to fill in my pre-adjusted field Preformat that cell as Text or start your entry with a leading apostrophe: '123,123,123,12...

IE8 Windows Live Tool Bar
When opening the IE8 / Windows XP SP3, the connection is made but IE closes after a second or two. Disabling 'add-on' Windows Live Tool Bar fixed the problem. Doh! zetz wrote: > When opening the IE8 / Windows XP SP3, the connection is made but IE > closes > after a second or two. Disabling 'add-on' Windows Live Tool Bar fixed the > problem. Hi, The Windows Live Toolbar should certainly be compatible with IE8 on XP SP3. Try uninstalling then reinstalling the Live Toolbar. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you might try disabling individua...

Money07 Sign In
Help, UG from 04 to 07 Deluxe, want to use file with standard password. Unable to open file keeps asking for email ad password, have-not used passport... tried singing in 04 setting up passport but no luck. I thought I saw a workaround somewhere. In microsoft.public.money, PapaFrank wrote: >Help, UG from 04 to 07 Deluxe, want to use file with standard password. >Unable to open file keeps asking for email ad password, have-not used >passport... tried singing in 04 setting up passport but no luck. > >I thought I saw a workaround somewhere. > > Try closing Money. ...

Getting windows object from hWnd?
I'm in a bit of a mess at the moment! I have a function which takes a CStatusDlg* (CStatusDlg is derived from CDialog). Only sometimes, what's being passed in is the window handle and I don't really have any control over this. So how would I differentiate between the two (I'm currently using IsWindow()) and how to I get the window pointer from the window handle? TIA, --- Al. You can use CWnd::m_hWnd to get the window handle. To get a CWnd from a handle, you can use CWnd::FromHandlePermanent or CWnd::FromHandle. You may be able to use other means to get to CStatusDlg, de...

Reply window size
Whenever I reply to a message, the window always maximizes, and the fonts change. I'm more concerned about just having the reply window stay teh regular size as the e-mail I am reading and replying to. Thanks. ...

"Sign-in Info could not be verified"
I'm getting this error message when I try to log on...I can only work offline, which isn't very helpful. I have Money 2006 Premium. How can I sign on??? Thanks for any help. ...

OS customization on Windows Mobile OS
Hi All, My Intention is to do some OS customization for my particular project requirement on Windows Mobile 6 or Windows Phone 7 OS. Say adding new Icons in control panel to support some new features.Is it Possible this type of customization?? In that case I need to build the Windows Mobile OS.Is it possible?? Which IDE(integrated development environment) I need to download in order to build the OS Image for Windows Mobile. Please let me know whether the above things are possible or not.If no does it means that for windows mobile os we can write only applications but cannot ...

Audio driver not installing in new Window 7 installation
I have window 7 (64bit) running inside Sun VirtualBox, host operating system is LINUX Ubunto 9.10 (64bit) on ASUS motherboard MAN78 PRO. Window will not install any audio drivers. When I attempt to run the ASUS window 7 drver setup program a window box appears indicating the AsusSetup.exe is not a valid Win32 application. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks mmino wrote: > I have window 7 (64bit) running inside Sun VirtualBox, host > operating system is LINUX Ubunto 9.10 (64bit) on ASUS motherboard > MAN78 PRO. > > Window will not install any audi...

any way to bypass 'sign in' and just work offline by default?
Hi, Im using Money 2006. would anyone know any way to bypass the 'sign in' page when you start up Money 2006, so it just works offline by default? any help most appreciated! cheers, Peter PWalker wrote: > Hi, Im using Money 2006. > > would anyone know any way to bypass the 'sign in' page when you start up > Money 2006, so it just works offline by default? Remove the passport using File: Password Manager, but that means you can't sync with MSN or with banks that don't support direct connections with Money. If you use online (not web) banking, many b...

.bat file from outook 2007 in windows 7
Hi, I tried many ways of executing a .bat file attachment from outlook 2007 in windows 7. I tried the registry ( Level1Remove) option , tried with the outlook tool and did a research on this isssue. But still i am not able to run a .bat file attachment from outlook 2007 in Windows7. This works in Xp with Outlook 2007.Is this a permanent change in Windows 7? Is there any way to allow bat file to run from outlook 2007 in windows 7? ...

Question about SBS2008, Windows Server 2008 and SQL 2008
I have SBS2008 premium setup. Windows Server 2008 is setup and joined to the SBS2008 domain. I have SQL 2008 installed on the Windows Server 2008. If I unjoin the Windows Server 2008 from SBS 2008 will SQL 2008 still run? Please advise and thanks. john doe wrote: > I have SBS2008 premium setup. Windows Server 2008 is setup and joined to the > SBS2008 domain. > I have SQL 2008 installed on the Windows Server 2008. > If I unjoin the Windows Server 2008 from SBS 2008 will SQL 2008 still run? > Please advise and thanks. > > The SQL shipped with the SBS ...

Open a Windows Form from SSRS
I am trying to open a Windows form from an SSRS report - I tried the Navigation, but no luck with it opening. Does anyone know how can this be done ? ...

Windows Search
Hello all We're working on a document manager for our app and we need to find porcions of text in files (*.doc, *.etc) in some directories. Does anybody have any experience doing something like this? Thanks Augusto ...

Custom Window Styles
I've created a custom control and would like to add some optional custom window styles. I can't seem to find any documentation that states what bits in the style DWORD (SetStyle(),GetStyle) are free to use. Does anyone happen to know where I can find this info? Thanks, Jeff "Jeff" <mullins.j@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1139249990.467796.102030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > I've created a custom control and would like to add some optional > custom window styles. I can't seem to find any documentation that > states what bits in the style D...

Math operational sign for the box division sign
What can I use to create a division problem with the box division sign? Might draw one with an autoshape line tool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_division#Notation -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Mr. D" <Mr. D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBBF7885-39BC-4C77-AD7E-2CCC269BC3BC@microsoft.com... > What can I use to create a division problem with the box division sign? Mr. D wrote: > What can I use to create a division problem with the box division sign? Whilst holding the Alt key, tap 0247 on the numeric keypad. Then release Alt. ...

Windows Mail Calender
when ever i add an event in windows live its automatically going to wrong date at the time of saving Windows Live Solution Center FAQS http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=e2b2292c-2f10-4c7e-8785-e1d898ece45d Windows Live Calendar http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=16 Windows Live Calendar Forums http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=16 Windows Live Calendar Solutions http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions.aspx?productid=16 -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Faisal Habeeb" <Faisal Habeeb@discussions.microsoft.com>...