Impossible to change Messenger picture in Windows Live

I have a very annoying problem with the Messenger picture: An old picture 
(which I no longer want to use) from Windows Live Messenger is still showing 
up if my contacts click on my Windows Live name in their contact list. This 
old picture is also the one which shows up if a contact clicks in my name in 
Messenger when I am not logged in. Whne I am logged in my normal picture is 
displayed in Messenger.

I have tried in vain to change this by adjusting the settings in my Windows 
Live profile, but it does not seem to work.

I really need help!


0
Hans
12/14/2009 3:25:20 PM
windows.live.messenger 427 articles. 1 followers. Follow

11 Replies
623 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 36

I should add that this old picture also is the one that is displayed to
others when I log in from the web or from my mobile phone. Extremely
annoying!

"Hans N�slund" <mail@hansnaslund.se> skrev i meddelandet 
news:uBCQnGNfKHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I have a very annoying problem with the Messenger picture: An old picture 
>(which I no longer want to use) from Windows Live Messenger is still 
>showing up if my contacts click on my Windows Live name in their contact 
>list. This old picture is also the one which shows up if a contact clicks 
>in my name in Messenger when I am not logged in. Whne I am logged in my 
>normal picture is displayed in Messenger.
>
> I have tried in vain to change this by adjusting the settings in my 
> Windows Live profile, but it does not seem to work.
>
> I really need help!
>
> 


0
Hans
12/14/2009 4:03:19 PM
Hi, I posted more or less the same question just over a week ago and
still await a solution. What is more I have Microsoft Windows Live
Technical help working the same problem. They have actively provided
work around solutions, but to date none have worked. Their first attempt
was the FULL UNINSTALL methodology and of course re-install.  This
failed to change anything and I had attempted this myself several times
previous.  You may find (like me) it is possible to change your picture
in Safe Mode Networking (Networking is important of course) but
unfortunately, when returning to normal mode the picture reverts once
more. In my case the WLM default icon, or presumably in yours an old
picture.   As I found out by the safe mode myself I have just advised
Microsoft Support of this fact and await an answer. 

I will let you know if a solution is provided and await to see if
anyone in the forum has any ideas what is amiss.    Incidentally (in my
case) there are 2 others computers in the house, one with Vista the
other with XP and neither have any problems in changing the picture in
WLM. It has only happened since I upgraded to Windows 7.

Noodles


-- 
Noodlesathome
0
Noodlesathome
12/14/2009 4:59:58 PM
Sorrry I was so anxious to advise I had the same problem that I did not
check the date of your own posting several months ago. Perhaps then you
found a solution yourself. If so would be pleased to know what it was. 
Noodles


-- 
Noodlesathome
0
Noodlesathome
12/14/2009 5:04:15 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience.  But no - the answers to my pevious 
posting did not solve the problem, not for me nor for my friend.

I'm using WLM 2009 (build 14.0.8089.726) with Windows XP SP 3.


"Noodlesathome" <guest@unknown-email.com> skrev i meddelandet 
news:654d445abde9e0258fd5c1eaae0d852f@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Sorrry I was so anxious to advise I had the same problem that I did not
> check the date of your own posting several months ago. Perhaps then you
> found a solution yourself. If so would be pleased to know what it was.
> Noodles
>
>
> -- 
> Noodlesathome 


0
Hans
12/15/2009 9:45:43 AM
Hi there thanks for getting back to me.  

I have now heard from others (on other forums) experiencing the same or
very similar problems. Since posting I have just had a further response
from Windows Live Support requesting System Information and certain MSN
specific files & Contact information all with precise instruction how to
locate, compress and send as email attachments.   I must give them their
due and I sense they also seem to want to get to the bottom of the
matter.   I will keep you informed in due course, but might take some
while.   

Noodles


-- 
Noodlesathome
0
Noodlesathome
12/15/2009 10:36:21 AM
Thanks - I'm looking forward to that!

"Noodlesathome" <guest@unknown-email.com> skrev i meddelandet 
news:2e85dab104a708d3e5f34f21ffd252ba@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Hi there thanks for getting back to me.
>
> I have now heard from others (on other forums) experiencing the same or
> very similar problems. Since posting I have just had a further response
> from Windows Live Support requesting System Information and certain MSN
> specific files & Contact information all with precise instruction how to
> locate, compress and send as email attachments.   I must give them their
> due and I sense they also seem to want to get to the bottom of the
> matter.   I will keep you informed in due course, but might take some
> while.
>
> Noodles
>
>
> -- 
> Noodlesathome 


0
Hans
12/15/2009 11:20:26 AM
Greetings,

Just out of curiosity, are you sure its all your contacts, and not just one in particular?

I could think of a scenario where the cache Messenger stores your image (on your contacts' 
end) when you're offline couldn't save the latest image for some reason, but might still grab 
the latest directly from you when you're online.

-- 
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--



"Hans N�slund" <mail@hansnaslund.se> wrote in message 
news:uBCQnGNfKHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I have a very annoying problem with the Messenger picture: An old picture (which I no 
> longer want to use) from Windows Live Messenger is still showing up if my contacts click on 
> my Windows Live name in their contact list. This old picture is also the one which shows up 
> if a contact clicks in my name in Messenger when I am not logged in. Whne I am logged in my 
> normal picture is displayed in Messenger.
>
> I have tried in vain to change this by adjusting the settings in my Windows Live profile, 
> but it does not seem to work.
>
> I really need help!
>
> 

0
Jonathan
12/16/2009 4:29:49 AM
Thanks for the info, however I seem to have not made it clear that
although I posted to say I had a 'similar' problem to Hans, mine is that
I cannot change my own image in WLM.  It currently shows the default MSN
type icon and nothing I do will allow me to change this to my own
picture, whether by browsing for a photo on my computer or via a webcam
shot. The 'change picture' action is not available for some reason. 

I think Hans posted that he wants to change an old picture (of himself)
to a new one, but is unable to perform the action. This is why I believe
we share the same problem of being unable to change a picture. 
Something I have done many times before on other PC's/laptops running XP
& Vista, but for some reason cannot do since my upgrade to Windows 7
with the the 2009 Windows Live Messenger.

Live Messenger support are currently looking into my own problem, and
providing any solution is not something specific to my Compaq Presario
may well help others. For this reason I will pass on any helpful
information received from Microsoft.

Noodles


-- 
Noodlesathome
0
Noodlesathome
12/16/2009 2:22:06 PM
Well, this might be a possibility, but it cannot be someting cached on the 
particular contact's computer, but rather on the WLM servers.

I say this because I have a second WLM account where this phenomenon 
appears, despite the fact that all Messenger/WLM cache folders are cleaned. 
It even appears when I log in on Web Messenger from this account: then I see 
the old picture even when my normal account is logged in on WLM with another 
picture. To check, I also created a third Windows Live account - but there 
no picture appears.

This indicates that contacts that were established when the old picture was 
current will have this picture stored in their avccount on the WLM servers - 
right?


"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> skrev i meddelandet 
news:u2KtphgfKHA.5784@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Greetings,
>
> Just out of curiosity, are you sure its all your contacts, and not just 
> one in particular?
>
> I could think of a scenario where the cache Messenger stores your image 
> (on your contacts' end) when you're offline couldn't save the latest image 
> for some reason, but might still grab the latest directly from you when 
> you're online.
>
> -- 
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature 
> or citation
> --
>
>
>
> "Hans N�slund" <mail@hansnaslund.se> wrote in message 
> news:uBCQnGNfKHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> I have a very annoying problem with the Messenger picture: An old picture 
>> (which I no longer want to use) from Windows Live Messenger is still 
>> showing up if my contacts click on my Windows Live name in their contact 
>> list. This old picture is also the one which shows up if a contact clicks 
>> in my name in Messenger when I am not logged in. Whne I am logged in my 
>> normal picture is displayed in Messenger.
>>
>> I have tried in vain to change this by adjusting the settings in my 
>> Windows Live profile, but it does not seem to work.
>>
>> I really need help!
>>
>>
> 


0
Hans
12/17/2009 9:44:47 AM
I was wrong on tha last point - when logging in to Web Messenger I saw again 
the old, wrong picture. So it must be stored on the WLM servers. How can I 
remove it?

"Hans N�slund" <mail@hansnaslund.se> skrev i meddelandet 
news:uRg7W2vfKHA.1112@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Well, this might be a possibility, but it cannot be someting cached on the 
> particular contact's computer, but rather on the WLM servers.
>
> I say this because I have a second WLM account where this phenomenon 
> appears, despite the fact that all Messenger/WLM cache folders are 
> cleaned. It even appears when I log in on Web Messenger from this account: 
> then I see the old picture even when my normal account is logged in on WLM 
> with another picture. To check, I also created a third Windows Live 
> account - but there no picture appears.
>
> This indicates that contacts that were established when the old picture 
> was current will have this picture stored in their avccount on the WLM 
> servers - right?
>
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> skrev i meddelandet 
> news:u2KtphgfKHA.5784@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, are you sure its all your contacts, and not just 
>> one in particular?
>>
>> I could think of a scenario where the cache Messenger stores your image 
>> (on your contacts' end) when you're offline couldn't save the latest 
>> image for some reason, but might still grab the latest directly from you 
>> when you're online.
>>
>> -- 
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
>> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
>> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
>> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>> (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this 
>> signature or citation
>> --
>>
>>
>>
>> "Hans N�slund" <mail@hansnaslund.se> wrote in message 
>> news:uBCQnGNfKHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> I have a very annoying problem with the Messenger picture: An old 
>>> picture (which I no longer want to use) from Windows Live Messenger is 
>>> still showing up if my contacts click on my Windows Live name in their 
>>> contact list. This old picture is also the one which shows up if a 
>>> contact clicks in my name in Messenger when I am not logged in. Whne I 
>>> am logged in my normal picture is displayed in Messenger.
>>>
>>> I have tried in vain to change this by adjusting the settings in my 
>>> Windows Live profile, but it does not seem to work.
>>>
>>> I really need help!
>>>
>>>
>>
>
> 


0
Hans
12/20/2009 10:12:51 AM
I've exactly this same problem too when signed onto Web messenger.  I'd
very much appreciate being able to remove the photo in question!

Cheers.:sarc:


-- 
anothernoodle77
0
anothernoodle77
1/8/2010 6:47:46 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Viewing windows live over 2 or more computers
I view my accounts & mail folders over two computers over a home network, but Windows live is indepenant on each. Is it possible, that I can read, delete move items to personal folders on either computer & then for either computer to show the updates made next time I log on? If 'my accounts' are Hotmail accounts setup as Http in WLM on each computer, then you can achieve your intended results since the messages and folders in an http configured Hotmail account will sync up to the web UI and down to each machine. If 'my accounts' are setup as Pop3...then no....

Change "zoom" size in publisher and set as a default?
I would like to change the default "zoom" setting in publisher. I have not found how to change this. Suggestions? SheilaC <SheilaC@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I would like to change the default "zoom" setting in publisher. I > have not found how to change this. Suggestions? Default Zoom add-in is available at http://www.publishermvps.com/Programming/AddIns/tabid/43/Default.aspx -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher What version Publisher? An Add-in here, scroll down... Default Zoom Add-in v1.0 (for Publisher 2...

how do I import messages from windows live to outlook 2
I have download outlook connector and its working. I have imported my contacts from windows live to outlook 2007 but cannot import the messages. How do I do this please. Windows Live is a free account. Have you tried exporting from Windows Live Mail? "Mike Cummings" <Mike Cummings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E6E6ED6-F8C3-412A-A7CD-B6F3B46A6C25@microsoft.com... > I have download outlook connector and its working. I have imported my > contacts from windows live to outlook 2007 but cannot import the messages. > How do I do this please. Windows L...

Style font size changes
I make extensive use of Styles in laying out real estate brochures, and I sometimes find that a font will change size when a document is re-opened. For example: I often use a Style I call "Detail" which might be set to 12 point Italic Garamond. When I open a saved document (maybe 20% of the time) the Style resets itself to 10 points. I can always modify the style back to where it shoild be. The reset font always goes down in size, and most often to 10 from 11 or 12. I can't correlate it to anything else, though. Has anyone seen anything similar? Do you have a clue...

How can I change the position/format for all data labels in a ser.
Hi, Double click a data label. The format dialog should then allow you to format the labels, its font attributes and alignment. Cheers Andy PearlBeast wrote: -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler also has a feature to Move all labels for a series en masse. It's a free download, easy to install and use: http://appspro.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Andy Pope wrote: > Hi, > > Double click a data label. T...

scroll window to a range
Hi, I need to scroll the windowpane where I'm working positioning the to left corner of the line where a given range begins at it top left corner. Aditionally, I would need to verify if the bottom of the last line in the same range is visible in the screen, and if not, to zoom the window pane until the whole range is visible. I was looking for the ActiveWindow.ActivePane properties but I couldn't find anything to handle this. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. Pablo Cardellino To get the start of the range at the top left of the screen, you can use the ...

Change Servername
Morning! I have a Windows 2003 Server with SP2 and a SQL 2000 Server with SP4. THe server is a domaincontroller and exchange is installed. And CRM 3.0 is installed. I will change the servername and what must i do that CRM works fine in the end? Have someone did this before? Dawid Hi You will need to check/change the MSCRM entries within the registry. If the server is a domain controller not sure if you will be able to rename it... -- Rgds Michael MCDBA 2000 | MCITP DBA 2005 "Dawid Veltzé" wrote: > Morning! > I have a Windows 2003 Server with SP2 and a SQL 2000...

Money File Moved/Changed Causing D/L Trouble
Several months ago, I had a problem with Money 98s files, and, in the course of correcting that problem, I created a 'new' Money file that I worked from. Things were fine till my bank did some upgrades, and I suddenly was no longer able to directly download my statement from the bank's website to M98. I was advised, here, that I needed to save the statement as a file and Import it into Money. I began doing that, and things worked well. Yesterday, I found that someone else has had the same problem, and, that you folks have evidently found a fix for it. I followed these ...

Impossible Macro?
I'd like to be able to have a macro that wouod work like this: 1) I highlight the rows 2) When I run the macro, it will ask me how many rows I'd like to insert. 3) It would then insert x number of rows after each highlighted cell. Anybody able to help with this one? Try Sub insertrowsdynamic() fr = Selection.Rows(1).Row 'MsgBox fr lr = Selection.Rows.Count + fr 'MsgBox lr nr = InputBox("How many rows") 'MsgBox nr For i = lr To fr + 1 Step -1 'nr '(lr - fr + 1) Rows(i).Resize(nr).Insert 'MsgBox i Next i End Sub -- Don Gui...

changing outlook today view
my Change outlook today view button is no longer functional after sp3 install. This is true for 4 other computers in office. Anyone else experience this? >-----Original Message----- >my Change outlook today view button is no longer >functional after sp3 install. This is true for 4 other >computers in office. Anyone else experience this? >. >Yes, see my post "Cusatomize Outlook Today". I have experienced the same problem. I am still waiting on a response from someone. "JD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<0b4f...

Changing the cell format doesn't change existing cell content
When I import data into Excel 2003, the numbers need to be reformatted so that they can be calculated. But when I highlight the range and reformat it to a number format, it doesn't register the change. I have to click inside the cell contents (hit F2) for it to 'accept' the new format. This complicates things when there is a lot of data. Any ideas? Thanks for any help. This could make things faster for you. After importing the data, choose another cell that is formatted as General or a number and enter 1 (the number one). Select the cell with the 1 in it and us...

Some Mutual Funds Not Showing "Today's Total Change" Again
Money 2001 Deluxe, WinXP Home "Last Updated" shows 1/13/2006 [I have d/l the 1/17 value, and, while the value is correct, the "last updated" date didn't change,and so the "Today's Total Change" column isn't updated. Several funds affected include OAKBX, OAKLX, UMESX, etc. TIA Sorry, forgot to mention I did install the KB fix but to no avail. "Frank" <user@aol.com> wrote in message news:e7HNTG$GGHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Money 2001 Deluxe, WinXP Home > "Last Updated" shows 1/13/2006 [I have d/l the 1/17 ...

How to view pictures within email messages?
I have newly installed outlook 2003 and now I cannot see the pictures people send me within the email message. My mom sends me lots of pictures and it is a pain to open each individual picture. In my earlier version of outlook I was able to open the email and the pictures would downolad into the email instead of just the little attachment icons. How can i fix it? Nothing to fix. Despite your claim Outlook has never done this. By design, Outlook does not display attached images inline. Outlook is a business application. OE is targeted to consumers and the needs of the two groups are diff...

No task manager and can't change wallpaper after spyware
Well I got attacked my some spyware. It did the usual, changing my background to some ridiculous message about how my computer is infected and needs protection, and gave me a "spyware removal" icon that i wasn't dumb enough to click. So I ran McAfee and i think that got rid of the virus but i still can't change my wallpaper and I just now realized that my task manager has been disabled as well. Any help? P.s. I'm fairly computer illiterate. -- zachattack ------------------------------------------------------------------------ zachattack's Profile: htt...

Changing the IP address
I'm building an Exchange 2003 cluster at our home office and plan on sending it to one of our branch offices. While building it at the home office I will, of course, need to use IP addresses on our local subnet. However, when the server is shipped to the field office those IP addresses will need to be changed to appropriate addresses on the field office subnet. Any potential pitfalls here? Will Exchange play nicely with this? The server will be in the same Exchange Organization, but a different routing group at the field office. We will have a high speed link between the locat...

picture control in the view
I have a graphing control that I can use in a dialog when I place it in a picture control on the dialog (using SubclassDlgItem). However, I'd like to use the graphing control in my view. How do I place a picture control in a view? Or can you think of another way of making my graphing control appear in something other than a picture control? > I have a graphing control that I can use in a dialog when I place it in a > picture control on the dialog (using SubclassDlgItem). However, I'd like to > use the graphing control in my view. How do I place a picture control in a >...

Changing a static image
I have put these lines in the OnInitDlg of a dialog CBitmap bitmap1; bitmap1.LoadBitmap(ID_BMP); ((CStatic *)GetDlgItem(ImageSecurity))->SetBitmap(bitmap1); with ID_BMP : a varaible memeber of the dlg ImageSecurity the label of the image The pb is that the image doesn't appear when the dlg is called, but the border of the image fit whell the id of the bitmap. thx a lot for any answer mathieu Your ImageSecurity static control should have SS_BITMAP style. Open the resource ( .rc ) file in a text editor and add the SS_BITMAP style. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] -------...

Converting Leads to Opportunities in CRM 3.0 (changes since CRM 1.2?)
We are in the process of upgrading from CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0. In 1.2 we were able to convert Leads to only Opportunities. However, in 3.0 it appears that you must also convert the Lead to an Account or Contact as well (i.e. after clicking on the Convert Lead button, if you select only the Opportunity checkbox, the OK button is disabled, however, if you also select either Account or Contact, the OK button becomes enabled). Is this a change in functionality from CRM 1.2 or is there a setting that impacts this behavior? Thanks in advance. ...

Desktop names have been changed
Don't know how this happened - but most of my Desktop file and folder names have been changed. Following is an example: e9193x999233 (12) This is what it was changed to. When Vista SP2 boots, just for a moment the correct name appears. But then, the names change to something like what I showed above. I tried System Restore and ERUNT - no luck. Can anyone tell me how to retrieve the file and folder names? On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 20:45:22 -0400, PeoplesChoice@Chicago.net wrote: > Don't know how this happened - but most of my Desktop file and folder > names...

Invoking Function from Watch Window
Hello All I have a question about VC++ debuging. VS debugger provides that you can execute certain type of function function from the watch window for debugging purpose. I am having problem with executing a function from any module other than the module containg the function. For e.g. class Test { int test() { return 10; } }; void main() { Test myTest; } Now if i add the watch t.test() it works fine. but when the class test is plcaed in a different DLL module the watch can not find the code. According to MSDN module can be specified as {,,ModuleName}expression. But ...

macro changing with sheet name
I have a macro that uses a specific sheet name, but I am using a module to changes the name of that sheet tab to the current date each day. Is there a way that I can have that macro adjust for that name chang daily? Thanks and Happy Holidays ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements Use the worksheet's "code name" rather than the name on the tab. Find ...

Change Y axis to X axis
Hi, i have a 18KB excel file @ www.geocities.com/ricerox008/book1.xl i want to reverse the X and Y axis, so that time is shown on the X axis and volume is shown on the y axis. i have tried for *AGES* to do this, but i cant please help me, either by email or on here.. (MSN is also ok thanks, Rice Haven't downloaded the file; don't intend to. Select the chart, then the menu item Chart | Source Data... | Series tab. Exchange the contents of the Value (Y) and Category (X) fields. Or... Put the data you want to be the x-values in some column. In the column to the right (in a left...

Recurrance changes?
How do I change the time on a recurring appointment without changing all of the old times. I just want to change from this point and forward. Thanks Did you make changes to any of the individual past occurrences of the recurring appointment? If not, you can set an end date for the appointment, which will save all the old occurrences and end with the last one that occurred, and then you can start a new recurrence with the changes. If you've changed any individual occurrences, though, the changes would be lost if you put an end date on the first recurring appointment. I can't thin...

Windows SOE
Hi I run W2K with Excel 2K Not sure this is the correct place to raise this question but here goes. I have an excel file on a network drive. When I try to access it and someone else is using it I get a message telling me the ID of who has the file open (eg: File is locked for editing by USER). I can then contact this person and ask them to close it, no problem there. However I sometimes get a message saying that the file is "Locked for editing by Windows SOE" This means I have no idea who has the file open....can anyone tell me why this might occur? Thanks John Here SOE...

impossible?
Briefly: format C drive, install windows XPHome, then install Office Professional 2002 on two computers using same disks. Result: one OK, other has no 'invite attendees', limited options under 'actions' (no 'plan a meeting' options etc). Start from scratch, happens again. Incompatible with one of the computer's hardware? drivers? ...