WLM vs Hotmail

I posted a question a few days ago about WLMD and got a reply which
included the mention of the D having been dropped some time ago which
begs the question how does one tell the versions?  Or, maybe I'm
mistaken but when I go online and log into my ID, it's listed as Windows
Live Mail.  I had thought the former Hotmail and MSN mail were being
merged into the new Live Mail but if the desktop version is also Windows
Live Mail, I must be mistaken.
0
Tim

Hotmail, MSN Mail, etc were created originally as web-based mail
services.  Traditionally, a subscriber would use a web-browser to
sign into a Hotmail type account - and read / send messages.

Windows Live Mail (previously known as Windows Live Mail Desktop)
is a program that resides on a local computer.

You can use WLMail as a mail client, to access messages on POP3,
IMAP and/or HTTP mail servers.   Most importantly, it is one of
the few mail clients that is compatible with Microsoft's
DeltaSync HTTP mail servers, so you can use Windows Live Mail to
read / send messages and synchronize folders with a Hotmail, MSN
or Live email account.

Windows Live Mail also includes a newsreader function, for
reading and posting newsgroup messages (via NNTP news servers).

Confusion reigned, when Microsoft decided to label virtually
everything that moves with the word "Live".

So Hotmail type email accounts (name@hotmail.com; name@msn.com;
and name@live.com) became Windows Live Hotmail.  MSN Messenger
became Windows Live Messenger.

Hotmail subscribers can use any web-browser sign into their mail
accounts at http://mail/live.com.  Or, they can go directly to
their on-line contact lists at http://contacts/live.com - and
they can use their personal calendar at http://calendar/live.com.

So how does Windows Live mail interact with Windows Live Hotmail?

A Hotmail subscriber, with Windows Live Mail on his own computer,
can use it to access mail accounts and synchronize with his
folders on the Windows Live mail server.  The subscriber can also
configure WLMail  to sign in and synchronize his local contact
list and calendar with the on-line version.

Still confused ??  I hope Microsoft did not intend to confuse
individual users, but that is precisely what they have done.

"Tim Mathews" <NOSPAMtsmohio@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I posted a question a few days ago about WLMD and got a reply
> which included the mention of the D having been dropped some
> time ago which begs the question how does one tell the
> versions?  Or, maybe I'm mistaken but when I go online and log
> into my ID, it's listed as Windows Live Mail.  I had thought
> the former Hotmail and MSN mail were being merged into the new
> Live Mail but if the desktop version is also Windows Live Mail,
> I must be mistaken.

0
Bob
12/20/2009 4:09:29 PM
The online version is officially "Windows Live Hotmail" - you will notice
the "Hotmail" insignia below, underneath, references to "Windows Live" on
those screens.  I'm guilty of the same observance too - or lack thereof.
Seems our eyes and brain quit reading after seeing "Windows Live" on those
screens.

"Tim Mathews" <NOSPAMtsmohio@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I posted a question a few days ago about WLMD and got a reply which
> included the mention of the D having been dropped some time ago which begs
> the question how does one tell the versions?  Or, maybe I'm mistaken but
> when I go online and log into my ID, it's listed as Windows Live Mail.  I
> had thought the former Hotmail and MSN mail were being merged into the new
> Live Mail but if the desktop version is also Windows Live Mail, I must be
> mistaken.

0
slk759
12/20/2009 5:28:44 PM
To see the version number of any Windows program, go to its
menu bar and click on Help, About...

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Tim Mathews" <NOSPAMtsmohio@gmail.com> wrote in message =
>I posted a question a few days ago about WLMD and got a reply which=20
> included the mention of the D having been dropped some time ago which=20
> begs the question how does one tell the versions?  Or, maybe I'm=20
> mistaken but when I go online and log into my ID, it's listed as =
Windows=20
> Live Mail.  I had thought the former Hotmail and MSN mail were being=20
> merged into the new Live Mail but if the desktop version is also =
Windows=20
> Live Mail, I must be mistaken.
0
Gary
12/20/2009 10:57:21 PM
"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> To see the version number of any Windows program, go to its menu bar and
> click on Help, About...

What version of Windows Search do you have, Gary?
;)
--
Noel

0
Ildhund
12/20/2009 11:43:53 PM
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:44:29 -0400, Tim Mathews wrote:

> I posted a question a few days ago about WLMD and got a reply which
> included the mention of the D having been dropped some time ago which
> begs the question how does one tell the versions?  Or, maybe I'm
> mistaken but when I go online and log into my ID, it's listed as Windows
> Live Mail.

If you mean the web view of Hotmail, I see the following:

[logo]Windows Live (tm), followed by a menu bar listing: "Home", "Profile",
"People", "Mail", "Photos", "More", "MSN", and a Bing search box; with my
name, display picture, and "sign out" at the far right. Next line down I
see: "Hotmail", followed by more menu items: "New", "ManageNewsletters",
"Read our blog", and at the far right, "Messenger", "Options", and a Help
button with an icon, (?).

What I do not see is a reference to, "Windows Live Mail".

> I had thought the former Hotmail and MSN mail were being merged into
> the new Live Mail but if the desktop version is also Windows
> Live Mail, I must be mistaken.

At one time, MSN Hotmail was to be called, "Windows Live Mail", and the
desktop client was released as, "Windows Live Mail desktop". But a certain
about of brand confusion was occurring, with end users uncertain of the
relationship between, "MSN Hotmail" (old name) and "Windows Live Mail" (new
name). So Microsoft changed again, renaming "Windows Live Mail", as,
"Windows Live Hotmail", then renaming the desktop from, "Windows Live Mail
desktop" to, simply, "Windows Live Mail".

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

"Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message =
> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message=20
>> To see the version number of any Windows program, go to its menu bar =
and=20
>> click on Help, About...
>=20
> What version of Windows Search do you have, Gary?
> ;)
> --=20
> Noel=20

0
Gary
12/21/2009 6:18:10 AM
Hi, Norman.

And that cleared up all the confusion, right?  :^{

To Tim, the OP, if you are still reading along...

That "renaming frenzy" happened in May 2006, over 3 1/2 years ago - and MANY
users are STILL confused.  :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:44:29 -0400, Tim Mathews wrote:
>
>> I posted a question a few days ago about WLMD and got a reply which
>> included the mention of the D having been dropped some time ago which
>> begs the question how does one tell the versions?  Or, maybe I'm
>> mistaken but when I go online and log into my ID, it's listed as Windows
>> Live Mail.
>
> If you mean the web view of Hotmail, I see the following:
>
> [logo]Windows Live (tm), followed by a menu bar listing: "Home",
> "Profile",
> "People", "Mail", "Photos", "More", "MSN", and a Bing search box; with my
> name, display picture, and "sign out" at the far right. Next line down I
> see: "Hotmail", followed by more menu items: "New", "ManageNewsletters",
> "Read our blog", and at the far right, "Messenger", "Options", and a Help
> button with an icon, (?).
>
> What I do not see is a reference to, "Windows Live Mail".
>
>> I had thought the former Hotmail and MSN mail were being merged into
>> the new Live Mail but if the desktop version is also Windows
>> Live Mail, I must be mistaken.
>
> At one time, MSN Hotmail was to be called, "Windows Live Mail", and the
> desktop client was released as, "Windows Live Mail desktop". But a certain
> about of brand confusion was occurring, with end users uncertain of the
> relationship between, "MSN Hotmail" (old name) and "Windows Live Mail"
> (new
> name). So Microsoft changed again, renaming "Windows Live Mail", as,
> "Windows Live Hotmail", then renaming the desktop from, "Windows Live Mail
> desktop" to, simply, "Windows Live Mail".
>
> --
> Norman

hotmail & entourage

Outlook2002/Hotmail issues
A few weeks ago OE stopped picking up and sending mail through Hotmail. It's like there's no contact at all. I've switched to Outlook 2002 and am having the same problem. Tried deleting the account in OE and O2002 and re-establishing it, but it didn't help. Any ideas? I'm have ZoneAlarm and have searched that for potential blockage but can't find any. Also completely unloaded ZA, makes no difference. Thanks. Try establishing an entirely new hotmail account. Then see if you can get OE or Outlook to send and get the mail. If so, it may be an issue with your o...

Roaming vs Local Profile
Have just installed Windows 7 with Office 2007 on new computer. Previous computer is XP SP3 with Office 2007. Am attempting to migrate the nickname cache from the old computer to the new one. It appears that OL on the new computer is looking for the .nk2 file in: c:\users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook I had expected it to look in: c:\users\(user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook, which is where the .pst file is located. Is there a setting someplace that dictates the location of the nickname cache, and if so, how could I change that? Thanks. ...

Quotefix for WLM
Hello, Does anybody know whether somebody's working on a kind of Quote fix for WLM ? Thanks. -- Bernard Cordier Ressources STG : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/bernard.cordier/ Juliette Cordier : http://cordier.juliette.free.fr/ No, not that I know of. The original author of OE-QuoteFix seems to have abandoned it. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Bernard Cordier" <cordier-bernard@wanamou.fr> wrote in message = news:O7MkpqS5KHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello, > Does an...

Access 2002 vs 2003 01-11-10
I have Access databases in 2002 format. I am upgrading to Office 2003. The question is is there a difference between the 2002 format and the 2002-2003 format. I am planning on leaving my programs in 2002 format but using Access 2003--any problems with this? Thanks, Stanley No problem! Access2003 is backward compatible meaning it can run earlier versions of Access. Access2002 is not forward compatible meaning you will not be able to run an Access2003 database from Access2002. Steve santus@penn.com "Stanley" <Stanley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

VS 2005 beta question
All, I need to complie some code. I am going from 16bit to 64 bit. The job do not want to spend the money on VS 2005.net. If I compile the code with the beta version or trial version of VS 2005.NET will it time bomb on me? Thanks in advance The code won't, but eventually the compiler will stop working. Don't know if the trial will support 64 bit though. I guess you get what you pay for. Tom "karibbean" <sharp_mind@REMOVE.this.email.msn.dotcom> wrote in message news:%23OyZFNUFGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > All, > > I need to complie some cod...

Permission denied while trying to access Hotmail inbox from Outlook
Anyone have any idea how to correct this problem. I have my hotmail e-mail account set up inside outlook. Whenever I click on the inbox, I get a permission denied error. A script file stops at the following: "f=ViewCtl1.OutlookApplication.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder.FolderPath" I have two other ISP accounts set up as well. I can send/reveive O.K. from each account individually but if I try to send/receive all then I get a "the operation failed" message I have deleted and recreated the hotmail account without success. The hotmail account is one with lots of storage (2G...

why do i need a subscription to snyc to hotmail?
i have tried to snyc my hotmail with outlook but for some reason it keeps telling me i need a subscription and i paid for outlook already. Because Hotmail is not Outlook and requires a separate fee to use it with desktop applications. Web use is still free. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, hak asked: | i have tried to snyc my hotmail with outlook but for some reason it | keeps telling me i need a subscription and...

Horizons vs GP Manufacturing
Hello I have a Manufacturing prospect who will need a fairly basic BOM and MRP system in GP. I am looking at both standard GP manufacturing and also at the Horizons products. Does anyone have any experience of both? If so, are there any major pro's/cons of either, and what was Horizons like to deal with? The training/documentation on GP Mfg is virtually non existent so for a Manufacturing newbie like me it isn't great. Any advice or feedback gratefully received. Thanks If their process is not complex, then Horizons might be a good fit. Horizons has less conf...

WLM Stationery
I sent an email to a friend with Windows Vista using one of the stationaries(Southwest). when she opened it there was text only-no stationery. Why?? Check your Sent items? If the message is html, then she is probably has Tools, Options, Read, 'Read all messages in plain text' checked. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "Jerry & Carol Schull" <jschull10@embarqmail.com> wrote in message news:65CD171C-9BA5-48BE-89F4-8C6EB0EB8251@microsoft.com... > I sent an email to a friend with Windows Vista using one of the > stationaries(Southwest). when she op...

Internal exchange vs hosted exchange
Hi, for an office of about 12 people, I'm deciding whether to do hosted exchange or internal/managed.. is hosted better? it appears to be cheaper, but is it better? would you say the following link is an accurate depiction of savings?: http://www.mpronto.com/lower.php?url=in-house-vs-hosted-exchange can anyone recommend some good hosted exchange provider(s) if hosted is in fact better ? thank you -- aliuhz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ aliuhz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/226310.htm View this thread: ...

New setup vs migration
Assuming that I have an old domain either 2000 or 2003 (with Exchange). The basic concept is that I don't want to migrate automatically but I want to setup a new domain from scratch (Windows2008 with Exchange 2010) in order to avoid all the garbage and to have a cleaner setup. I don't mind recreating all accounts because I can script this but the only real problem will be the cliebnts. If you have 10-15 clients, it's no problem but how can you handlw 100 users in terms of joining them to the new domain and losing their desktop profile? how can I keep their current pro...

acanywhere vs acentire
What is the difference between acanywhere and acentire. I am docmd.findrecord in a subform and looking for data that is in the query behind the subform but does not have a textbox on subform. Thanks. searching for 123 acAnywhere in string xxx123xxx is true to find the same record with acEntire you would to search for xxx123xxx, entire, versus anywhere get it? "seeker" wrote: > What is the difference between acanywhere and acentire. I am > docmd.findrecord in a subform and looking for data that is in the query > behind the subform but does not have a ...

budget vs. time periods on Money 2002
Hi folks, I noticed a serious limitation when using Money 2002 Standard. If I change my budget (ie.: moving back to parent house - not paying rent anymore), the changes will reflect on all past reports and data. I guess that any budget change should reflect only for the time the new budget data is entered and later on. Simplifying, there should be an option to apply a budget to a certain time period, but Money seems not to permit that. Or am I wrong and did not see such option? Thanks for any help... -- Henrique Seganfredo henrique at seganfredo dot com "Quanto mais aprendo, m...

WLM desktop client printing problems
I have the WLM desktoop client installed on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. Recently, when I print an email, I only get the header and not the body of the message. I've tried the same e-mails using WLM on a 32 bit machine and it prints fine. This use to work on this machine and stopped. Did it function on the 64 bit machine before or after WLM was installed ? -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Airborne101" <Airborne101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C85859E-D6AC-4926-A8D5-8C67866F3F40@microsoft.com... > I have the WLM desktoop client instal...

Wlm help :| :|
i recently purchased a new laptop and went to install wlm on it, it then installed the latest version which i later found to only allow video calls on, i then tried to to install a previous version but as it was the online installer it updated automatically, so can anyone tell me where a working download of the offline installer of Windows Live Messenger 2009 (14.0.8064) is? thankyou, btw preferably not off rapidshare. -- ollyrennard Greetings, Right here on my blog: http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/w3qfe2/wlm.asp Just download the MSI and run. Note that if yo...

WLM security settings
I have it set up on 3 different computers, and all of them set the same. I can receive on 2 computers and open the attachments. On the 3rd, it tells me the security settings will not allow me to get them. How that be when it is set the same on all and how do I change it? I have tried clearing the 'do not allow attachments' but it makes no difference. Help! I need them on that computer as they are work related. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks, everyone.... What version of Windows Live Mail ? Is the email account(with attachment problems) on the 3rd p...

PO Committments vs. Encumbrance Managment
Does anyone have a document showing the differences between PO Committments and Encumbrance Management. Would an organization use both products? Hi Andrea, I am not that familiar with the products, but I found a document lying around that may be of some use: ----- The main differences between PO Commitments and Encumbrance Management are that PO commitments is for profit companies and Encumbrances are for Not-For-Profit companies. With both of these modules the customer must be registered for Purchase Order Processing. 1) Encumbrance Management gives you the ability to inquire on ...

Quicken vs. MS Money vs. GnuCash
*Without* (I sincerely hope) igniting a flame war, can anyone tell me why they switched from one to the other, and is GnuCash ready for prime time? I know that it all depends upon what you want to use the software for. So here are my first pass requirements: Basic transaction accounting Download (synchronize account) activity with my bank without fee (possible?) Manage my portfolios (not required) Bill pay is not necessary---I do that in other ways. Thanks! -- Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wherethehell'smypen???"...

sharing contacts between WLM and messenger
how do I break the link between messenger and mail? I don't want them to share contacts. the check-box that says don't store my messenger contacts is grayed out so I can't select it. what do I do? Leon ...

Hotmail.
hi all, I can no longet connect to my hotmail.co.uk account from MS Outlook XP. I get the following error message: Task 'Hotmail: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error (0x800CCCF0) : 'The service is currently unavailable. Try again later.' Any ideas ? Regards, Kev kcsoftware@dsl.pipex.comspam (remove spam to reply via e-mail) "Kevin Cole" <kcsoftware@SPAMdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:egk0LClOHHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > 'The service is currently unavailable. Try again later.' > A clue, perhaps? Do you...

How to Move WLM Storage Folders to NAS (under Vista and WLM 14)
Question : How can I move my WLM storage folders to a NAS device? I have tried the Moving the store to the NAS from within WLM, and whilst this has physically moved the files (and updated the Reg entry to point to the new location), when I restart WLM, it presents the error - "Windows Live Mail could not be started. Closing Windows Live Mail. Your calendar contains corrupt data that is forcing Windows Live Mail to close. (0x80070057)" Since I am not using the calendar anyway, I've no worries about data loss, so killing it and rebuilding the ics in some way wou...

Outlook 2003-Hotmail & Outlook Connector--
Perhaps someone can help me. I am using Office 2003 and have a hotmail account. I downloaded & installed the Outlook Connector for my hotmail account, and on initial launch of Outlook it seems to work fine but no messages show up in my Inbox unless I click on the "send/receive" tab on the Outlook toolbar. Then the messages appear and if I am still in Outlook, I will receive any new messages that arrive. Once I exit out of the program and have to restart it, again, I have to hit the send/receive button to see any new emails in my inbox. I have set the default de...

WLM cannot sign in at more place same time?
The situation has happened over one week. I tried to re-install the latest version of Messenger on both computers. But it still not work. When I sign in on second computer, the Messenger on first computer will sign out quietly. It bit diffirent as when you select "Sign me out of all other..." in option, that without a notification. The both Messenger on computer can use Sign in at more place with Hotmail Web Messenger completely. Greetings Alex, Are you using roaming profiles or anything that would make the registry settings (say if you've copied your Messen...

Stop Outlook 2003 from synchronizing message headers for Hotmail at startup
I have two email accounts on my computer: one which is a university POP and another, Hotmail, which is my default email that I use every day. I have Outlook 2003 set to open to my Hotmail Inbox folder at start-up. My problem is that as a result, every time I open the program it stalls for a few seconds at the splash screen while it is connecting with the Hotmail servers and I can see in the status bar at the bottom that it is trying to synchronize the message headers for the Hotmail Inbox. I would like to disable this synchronizing so that the Outlook will open quickly and I can get my Inbo...