Windows Live Mail - Uninstall or not to Uninstall?

I am trying to help a friend of mine.  I use Outlook 2003, but I have
acquired a general understanding of hoe WLM works.  I'm going to try to be as
brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not setup, on his
PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  First step
was to come up with an ID (Screen name), then, we had no choice, we had to
select "@hotmail.com or @Livemail.com".  We chose the latter.  The next step
was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your e-mail
you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  Well,
this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to achieve
is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to with
Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE and
access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start from
scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able to
achieve the desired resault.
How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?
Thank you very much for any help.
Gio

It is not necessary to signin to Live services to send and receive email
messages with WLM.
The Live services signin allows syncing of calendar and contacts with the
Live contacts and calendar.

Alt + T, Options, Connection tab, Stop signing in.

Open Contacts, Alt + F, Import, .....point to the .wab file.

--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail

"unoeduefatre"  wrote in message

[...]

0
Ron
7/18/2010 4:55:47 PM

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> It is not necessary to signin to Live services to send and receive email
> messages with WLM.
> The Live services signin allows syncing of calendar and contacts with the
> Live contacts and calendar.
>
> Alt + T, Options, Connection tab, Stop signing in.
>
> Open Contacts, Alt + F, Import, .....point to the .wab file.
>
> --
> Ron Sommer
> MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> I am trying to help a friend of mine.  I use Outlook 2003, but I have
> acquired a general understanding of hoe WLM works.  I'm going to try to be
> as
> brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not setup, on his
> PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  First step
> was to come up with an ID (Screen name), then, we had no choice, we had to
> select "@hotmail.com or @Livemail.com".  We chose the latter.  The next step
> was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your e-mail
> you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  Well,
> this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to achieve
> is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to with
> Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE and
> access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start from
> scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able to
> achieve the desired resault.
> How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?
> Thank you very much for any help.
> Gio
>
> .
> Thank you Ron for your fast reply.  I think I got it.
Gio

"unoeduefatre" wrote:

> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>
> > It is not necessary to signin to Live services to send and receive email
> > messages with WLM.
> > The Live services signin allows syncing of calendar and contacts with the
> > Live contacts and calendar.
> >
> > Alt + T, Options, Connection tab, Stop signing in.
> >
> > Open Contacts, Alt + F, Import, .....point to the .wab file.
> >
> > --
> > Ron Sommer
> > MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
> >
> > "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
> >
> > I am trying to help a friend of mine.  I use Outlook 2003, but I have
> > acquired a general understanding of hoe WLM works.  I'm going to try to be
> > as
> > brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not setup, on his
> > PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  First step
> > was to come up with an ID (Screen name), then, we had no choice, we had to
> > select "@hotmail.com or @Livemail.com".  We chose the latter.  The next step
> > was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your e-mail
> > you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  Well,
> > this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to achieve
> > is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to with
> > Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE and
> > access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start from
> > scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able to
> > achieve the desired resault.
> > How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?
> > Thank you very much for any help.
> > Gio
> >
> > .
> > Thank you Ron for your fast reply.  I think I got it.
> Gio

Hi,
one part of the answer got me thinking.  Is it necessary, or advisable, to
sign in to Live Services? What does it really mean synchronizing of calendar
and contacts?
Thanks
Gio
1.  Use of a web cam is for use in WLMsgr not WLMail.
2. WLMsgr requires a  Live ID. It doesn not require a Live ID with a =
live.com or hotmail.com. Almost all email address can be=20
registered as a Live ID(almost all =3D some domains are protected or =
current msft partners and not capable of being registered as a=20
Live ID)
3. A Windows Live ID is not required to use WLMail(though a few features =
unique to a Live ID will not be available)
4. Sign on is not required in WLMail to Send/Receive mail.  A properly =
setup email account(any will do) is required.
5. To import contacts from OE, copy the address book(*.wab file) to the =
same machine with WLMail, then when in Contacts mode,=20
choose the option to /Import/Windows Address book (*.wab)

With respect to #2 (*Live ID's and almost all)
4 types of Live ID's are available...3 as newly created, one by =
registration of a third party email address.
a. First two types(new) - New Live ID(with Hotmail accounts) are =
restricted to Hotmail.com, Live.com(or country specific live.uk)=20
and also Msn.com
b. Third type(new) Msn.com are only available to premium MSN =
Subscribers(new accounts or by creation of a subaccount by the primary=20
msn.com Live ID) - th
c. Fourth type(register an existing email address...e.g. yahoo, google, =
your isp email, an @edu, an @org etc)

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"unoeduefatre"  wrote in message =

I am trying to help a friend of mine.  I use Outlook 2003, but I have
acquired a general understanding of hoe WLM works.  I'm going to try to =
be as
brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not setup, on =
his
PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  We chose =
the latter.  The next step
was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your =
e-mail
you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  =
Well,
this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to =
achieve
is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to with
Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE and
access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start from
scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able to
achieve the desired resault.
How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?
Thank you very much for any help.
Gio=20

0
winston
7/19/2010 12:29:34 AM
Hi,
We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When we
checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the mail account
he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we would
eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but still ahve to
use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3 additional
accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM.  It just
occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
Gio

"...winston" wrote:

> 1.  Use of a web cam is for use in WLMsgr not WLMail.
> 2. WLMsgr requires a  Live ID. It doesn not require a Live ID with a live.com or hotmail.com. Almost all email address can be
> registered as a Live ID(almost all = some domains are protected or current msft partners and not capable of being registered as a
> Live ID)
> 3. A Windows Live ID is not required to use WLMail(though a few features unique to a Live ID will not be available)
> 4. Sign on is not required in WLMail to Send/Receive mail.  A properly setup email account(any will do) is required.
> 5. To import contacts from OE, copy the address book(*.wab file) to the same machine with WLMail, then when in Contacts mode,
> choose the option to /Import/Windows Address book (*.wab)
>
> With respect to #2 (*Live ID's and almost all)
> 4 types of Live ID's are available...3 as newly created, one by registration of a third party email address.
> a. First two types(new) - New Live ID(with Hotmail accounts) are restricted to Hotmail.com, Live.com(or country specific live.uk)
> and also Msn.com
> b. Third type(new) Msn.com are only available to premium MSN Subscribers(new accounts or by creation of a subaccount by the primary
> msn.com Live ID) - th
> c. Fourth type(register an existing email address...e.g. yahoo, google, your isp email, an @edu, an @org etc)
>
> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message news:6FEDABE7-00F5-4F67-8323-6102B58E474B@microsoft.com...
>
> I am trying to help a friend of mine.  I use Outlook 2003, but I have
> acquired a general understanding of hoe WLM works.  I'm going to try to be as
> brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not setup, on his
> PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  We chose the latter.  The next step
> was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your e-mail
> you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  Well,
> this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to achieve
> is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to with
> Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE and
> access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start from
> scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able to
> achieve the desired resault.
> How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?
> Thank you very much for any help.
> Gio
>
> .

There never has been a password option to prevent the opening of WLMail.

The .wab file may be hidden.

--

"...winston" wrote:

> 1.  Use of a web cam is for use in WLMsgr not WLMail.
> 2. WLMsgr requires a  Live ID. It doesn not require a Live ID with a
> live.com or hotmail.com. Almost all email address can be
> registered as a Live ID(almost all = some domains are protected or current
> msft partners and not capable of being registered as a
> Live ID)
> 3. A Windows Live ID is not required to use WLMail(though a few features
> unique to a Live ID will not be available)
> 4. Sign on is not required in WLMail to Send/Receive mail.  A properly
> setup email account(any will do) is required.
> 5. To import contacts from OE, copy the address book(*.wab file) to the
> same machine with WLMail, then when in Contacts mode,
> choose the option to /Import/Windows Address book (*.wab)
>
> With respect to #2 (*Live ID's and almost all)
> 4 types of Live ID's are available...3 as newly created, one by
> registration of a third party email address.
> a. First two types(new) - New Live ID(with Hotmail accounts) are
> restricted to Hotmail.com, Live.com(or country specific live.uk)
> and also Msn.com
> b. Third type(new) Msn.com are only available to premium MSN
> Subscribers(new accounts or by creation of a subaccount by the primary
> msn.com Live ID) - th
> c. Fourth type(register an existing email address...e.g. yahoo, google,
> your isp email, an @edu, an @org etc)
>
> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> I am trying to help a friend of mine.  I use Outlook 2003, but I have
> acquired a general understanding of hoe WLM works.  I'm going to try to be
> as
> brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not setup, on
> his
> PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  We chose
> the latter.  The next step
> was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your
> e-mail
> you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  Well,
> this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to
> achieve
> is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to with
> Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE and
> access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start from
> scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able to
> achieve the desired resault.
> How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?
> Thank you very much for any help.
> Gio
>
> .

0
Ron
7/21/2010 4:41:16 PM
The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the web-based
optional features of Windows Live Mail.
What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new mail.
They have full access to existing email messages.
If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows user=20
login.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
> [...]
chose the latter.  The next step
>> was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your =
e-mail
>> you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  =
Well,
>> this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to =
achieve
>> is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to =
with
>> Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE =
and
>> access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start =
from
>> scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able =
>> achieve the desired resault.
>> How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?

0
Gary
7/22/2010 2:18:26 AM
Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at the
situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything over the
phone, as I've been doing.
I'll be back if I have more questions.
Gio

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> [...]
> >> brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not setup, on his
> >> PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  We chose the latter.  The next step
> >> was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your e-mail
> >> you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  Well,
> >> this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to achieve
> >> is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to with
> >> Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE and
> >> access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start from
> >> scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able to
> >> achieve the desired resault.
> >> How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?

 You're very welcome. We'll be here if you need us again.

> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at =
the=20
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything =
over the=20
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>=20
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>=20
>> The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the =
web-based
>> optional features of Windows Live Mail.
>> What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
>> You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
>> but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new =
mail.
>> They have full access to existing email messages.
>> If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows user =

>> login.
>>=20
>> --=20
>> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
>> Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>=20
>>=20
>> "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in =
message news:4EA15FF4-9911-4723-8ABF-C4965EF708A2@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When =
we=20
>> > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the =
mail account=20
>> > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we =
would=20
>> > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but =
still ahve to=20
>> > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3 =
additional=20
>> > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
>> > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM.  =
It just=20
>> > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
>> > Gio
>> >=20
>> > "...winston" wrote:
>> >=20
a live.com or hotmail.com. Almost all email address can be=20
or current msft partners and not capable of being registered as a=20
features unique to a Live ID will not be available)
properly setup email account(any will do) is required.
to the same machine with WLMail, then when in Contacts mode,=20
registration of a third party email address.
restricted to Hotmail.com, Live.com(or country specific live.uk)=20
Subscribers(new accounts or by creation of a subaccount by the primary=20
google, your isp email, an @edu, an @org etc)
chose the latter.  The next step
 Well,
OE and
OE?

>> .

0
Gary
7/22/2010 7:35:10 PM
Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the =
web-based
> optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new =
mail.
> They have full access to existing email messages.
> If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows user
> login.
>
> --=20
> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in =
message=20
> > Hi,
> > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When =
we
> > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the mail =
account
> > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we would
> > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but =
still ahve to
> > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3 =
additional
> > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM.  =
It just
> > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > Gio
> >
> > "...winston" wrote:
> >
> >> 1.  Use of a web cam is for use in WLMsgr not WLMail.
> >> 2. WLMsgr requires a  Live ID. It doesn not require a Live ID with =
a live.com or hotmail.com. Almost all email address can be
> >> registered as a Live ID(almost all =3D some domains are protected =
or current msft partners and not capable of being registered=20
> >> as a
> >> Live ID)
> >> 3. A Windows Live ID is not required to use WLMail(though a few =
features unique to a Live ID will not be available)
> >> 4. Sign on is not required in WLMail to Send/Receive mail.  A =
properly setup email account(any will do) is required.
> >> 5. To import contacts from OE, copy the address book(*.wab file) to =
the same machine with WLMail, then when in Contacts mode,
> >> choose the option to /Import/Windows Address book (*.wab)
> >>
> >> With respect to #2 (*Live ID's and almost all)
> >> 4 types of Live ID's are available...3 as newly created, one by =
registration of a third party email address.
> >> a. First two types(new) - New Live ID(with Hotmail accounts) are =
restricted to Hotmail.com, Live.com(or country specific=20
> >> live.uk)
> >> and also Msn.com
> >> b. Third type(new) Msn.com are only available to premium MSN =
Subscribers(new accounts or by creation of a subaccount by the=20
> >> primary
> >> msn.com Live ID) - th
> >> c. Fourth type(register an existing email address...e.g. yahoo, =
google, your isp email, an @edu, an @org etc)

> >> --
> >> ....winston
> >> ms-mvp mail
> >>
> >> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message =
> >>
> >> I am trying to help a friend of mine.  I use Outlook 2003, but I =
have
> >> acquired a general understanding of hoe WLM works.  I'm going to =
try to be as
> >> brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not =
setup, on his
> >> PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  We =
chose the latter.  The next step
> >> was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to =
your e-mail
> >> you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  =
Well,
> >> this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like =
to achieve
> >> is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to =
with
> >> Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE =
and
> >> access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start =
from
> >> scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be =
able to
> >> achieve the desired resault.
> >> How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from =
OE?
> >> Thank you very much for any help.
> >> Gio
> >>
> >> .
> >>
> .
>=20

0
winston
7/23/2010 1:01:30 AM
Hi Winston,
Everything seems to work properly.  Just want to make sure about one thing.
When trying to trensfer the existing contact list from OE we cannot create a
WAB file, only a CSV.  Does it make any difference if we import the latter?
Thanks
Gio

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message news:7F023019-1993-48B8-A3BF-22305D58B626@microsoft.com...
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything over the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows user
> > login.
> >
> > --
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the mail account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but still ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3 additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM.  It just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

> > .
> >

> .

In OE, the address book is a wab file.
To import the wab file into WLM, one has to navigate to the wab =
file(note their may be more than one on the OE machine). If OE=20
resides(resided) on a different machine...one copies the wab file to the =
WLM machine, then imports by browsing to the copied wab=20
file, select it, then import.

Yes, there is a difference in importing via wab or csv.
If groups(mail or distribution lists) were present in OE, then the wab =
file should be used since importing via a csv file does not=20
import groups.  Similarly, exporting a csv file in WLM does not export =
groups
- thus if you wish to be able to have a backup of Contacts and groups(in =
WLM groups are called Categories) you will have to import=20
after signon with a Live ID in WLM to ensure the contacts and groups are =
present on the web at contacts.live.com.

--

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message =
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at =
the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything =
over the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the =
web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new =
mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows =
user
> > login.
> >
> > --=20
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in =
message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When =
we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the =
mail account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we =
would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but =
still ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3 =
additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM. =
 It just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

with a live.com or hotmail.com. Almost all email address can=20
or current msft partners and not capable of being registered
features unique to a Live ID will not be available)
properly setup email account(any will do) is required.
to the same machine with WLMail, then when in Contacts=20

registration of a third party email address.
restricted to Hotmail.com, Live.com(or country specific
Subscribers(new accounts or by creation of a subaccount by the
google, your isp email, an @edu, an @org etc)

We chose the latter.  The next step
OE and
OE?

> > .
> >

> .
>=20

0
winston
7/23/2010 11:54:31 PM
Hi, Winston.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

There should never (or seldom) be a need to EXport a WAB file or Contact
list from OE to get it into WLM (or WM).  All we need to do is be sure the
existing WAB (Windows Address Book) file is in a location that WLM can
access - and that the current User account has the necessary permissions to
read that file.  Then just start WLM and Import the information from the WAB
file.

That "accessible location" can be any one of several forms, depending on the
user's hardware configuration.  In my single computer, using dual-booting,
I've simply told WLM in Win7 to Import directly from the OE (in WinXP) Store
Folder, which is still on my hard disk.  In other situations, we could use a
USB transfer cable, a USB thumb drive, a CD/DVD disk, a network - or even a
floppy disk if the files are small enough.  Or, in some situations, just
physically move the old hard disk drive into the new computer - temporarily
or permanently.

Ditto for messages in OE's .dbx files.  Don't bother to Export them from OE.
Just make sure the files (including the critical index file Folders.dbx) are
accessible to the current WLM User, then start WLM and Import the messages
from OE's Store Folder.  (But don't bother to Import newsgroup messages.
I've spent hours moving hundreds of thousands of such posts, only to
discover that WLM can't use them; WLM must re-download them to properly
index them in the new installation.  Export/Import the News Account settings
(WinXP Registry to .iaf file to Win7 Registry, for example), but not the
message texts.)

I've never used Hotmail or Gmail or IMAP or other flavors of email, but with
POP3, I've never needed to Export.  Just Import.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything over
> the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows user
> > login.
> >
> > --
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the mail
> > > account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but still
> > > ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3
> > > additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM.  It
> > > just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

RC...
- Correct for almost all scenarios.. the exceptions that come =
immediately to mind where one should export OE's contacts to a csv=20
file(if the wab file was not previously copied to a location later =
accessible)....upgrading from XP to Windows 7 which by design is=20
a clean install or a similar full version install of Win7 on an XP =
system where one wipes the drive using the Win7 dvd.

If one is really planning on the above scenarios..it may make sense to =
obtain a Hotmail email account,  install WLM 2009 on XP,=20
ensure one uses that Hotmail Live ID to sign on to Windows Live in WLM =
to ensure that migration or import of OE's address book is=20
into the Live ID(where contacts and groups will be created locally and =
online). A subsequent install of WLM(version 15) on Win7 and=20
sign on with that Live ID will make all contacts and groups available. =
Additonally use of that Live ID in WLM provides additional=20
integration options for use of Photo e-mail in WLM, integration with =
Photo Gallery(providing even more flexibility with WLM and=20
SkyDrive).

WLM is not everyone's cup of tea, especially long term OE users...but =
imo use of that Live ID(one doesn't even need to use the=20
Hotmail account for mail) ensures contacts and groups are always =
available in any location not to mention the full functionality of=20
Photo email, PhotoGallery, WLM and SkyDrive. As mentioned, not =
everyone's preferred mode, but a much more cohesive approach if one=20
chooses to use the WLE applications.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at =
the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything =
over
> the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the =
web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new =
mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows =
user
> > login.
> >
> > --=20
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in =
message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When =
we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the =
mail
> > > account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we =
would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but =
still
> > > ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3
> > > additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM. =
 It
> > > just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

We
OE
OE?

0
winston
7/25/2010 6:23:38 AM
The password save option(remember check or uncheck) is only to sign on =
to Windows Live, it is not relevant to opening WLM or=20
necessary to send/receive mail.  Each e-mail account has its own =
password and also not related to signing on to Windows Live when=20
opening WLM.

Anyone with access to the same Windows user profile can open WLM and =
view all mail.  To restrict access to a given Windows user=20
profile and application software(e.g. WLM and its mail accounts) ensure =
the Windows profile is configured with a password known=20
only to the user and after using WLM logoff Windows or lock the PC

--

"...winston" wrote:

> 1.  Use of a web cam is for use in WLMsgr not WLMail.
> 2. WLMsgr requires a  Live ID. It doesn not require a Live ID with a =
live.com or hotmail.com. Almost all email address can be
> registered as a Live ID(almost all =3D some domains are protected or =
current msft partners and not capable of being registered as a
> Live ID)
> 3. A Windows Live ID is not required to use WLMail(though a few =
features unique to a Live ID will not be available)
> 4. Sign on is not required in WLMail to Send/Receive mail.  A properly =
setup email account(any will do) is required.
> 5. To import contacts from OE, copy the address book(*.wab file) to =
the same machine with WLMail, then when in Contacts mode,
> choose the option to /Import/Windows Address book (*.wab)
>
> With respect to #2 (*Live ID's and almost all)
> 4 types of Live ID's are available...3 as newly created, one by =
registration of a third party email address.
> a. First two types(new) - New Live ID(with Hotmail accounts) are =
restricted to Hotmail.com, Live.com(or country specific live.uk)
> and also Msn.com
> b. Third type(new) Msn.com are only available to premium MSN =
Subscribers(new accounts or by creation of a subaccount by the
> primary
> msn.com Live ID) - th
> c. Fourth type(register an existing email address...e.g. yahoo, =
google, your isp email, an @edu, an @org etc)

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message =
>
> I am trying to help a friend of mine.  I use Outlook 2003, but I have
> acquired a general understanding of hoe WLM works.  I'm going to try =
to be as
> brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not setup, =
on his
> PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  We =
chose the latter.  The next step
> was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your =
e-mail
> you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  =
Well,
> this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to =
achieve
> is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to =
with
> Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE =
and
> access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start =
from
> scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able =
> achieve the desired resault.
> How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?
> Thank you very much for any help.
> Gio
>
> .

0
winston
7/25/2010 6:39:51 AM
If you use your own e-mail address when creating a Live ID, you won't have
an account for mail.

--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything over
> the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows user
> > login.
> >
> > --
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the mail
> > > account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but still
> > > ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3
> > > additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM.  It
> > > just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

0
Ron
7/25/2010 10:48:47 AM
Even though I didn't suggest using a third party email address or =
registering one...it is true that a third party email address=20
registered(not created) will not have a Hotmail web UI inbox.....the =
primary intent is to ensure Contacts and Categories are always=20
available in any future situation(new pc, format hard drive, travel, =
etc).

A Hotmail account has some additional benefits since one will and soon =
have access to the Wave 4 features being rolled out by=20
cluster and more features later.  Additionally many might not desire to =
use their personal email address for a Live ID and deal=20
with all the web UI Privacy issues(especially if already using and =
desiring to keep other web activities - Facebook, Twitter,=20
Linked in, Flicker, etc separate)

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at =
the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything =
over
> the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the =
web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new =
mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows =
user
> > login.
> >
> > --=20
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in =
message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When =
we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the =
mail
> > > account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we =
would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but =
still
> > > ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3
> > > additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM. =
 It
> > > just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

We
OE
OE?

0
winston
7/26/2010 7:52:37 AM
First of all let me thank everybody for their explanations and advices.
Unfortunately, now I'm getting more confused then before.  I am not very
familiar with all the inner workings and jargon of the e-mail business and,
in trying to help a friend, I found myself spending more and more time
reading and writing these messages.   Let me see if I can simplify things
with the following, so as not to take even more of your time:
My friend, because of a problem with OE, has decided to use WLM instead of
OE.  Because he already had a Windows Live active, he decide to create an
Account (Identity?).  His e-mail address is, and has always been, "@cox.net".
 After some configuration work he can now receive e-mail.  He's not
interested in the old messages, that are still on OE.  If he really needs
them, he's willing to open OE and read them; he would like, however, be able
to transfer, copy, import or...his contact list from OE.  For some reason he
cannat create a WAB file, the only choice being CSV (the Window Address Book
is greyed out).  So, my question is whether he can create a CSV file, export
it to the desktop, open WLM and import it so that he has the contacts at his
fingertips, or does he have to copy each contact individually into WLM?
I'm also a little confused by Ron's comment regarding the "use of your own
e-mail".
Again, I'm very greatful to all that have answered.
Gio

"...winston" wrote:

> [...]
> > brief and clear as I can.  WLM was already installed, but not setup, on his
> > PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  We chose the latter.  The next step
> > was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your e-mail
> > you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.  Well,
> > this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to achieve
> > is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to with
> > Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE and
> > access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start from
> > scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able to
> > achieve the desired resault.
> > How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?

You don't create a WAB file, it's part of OE. All you have to do is find it,
and point the WLM app to it. To determine the location of your OE WAB file,
open the Windows Address Book in OE and click Help | About Address Book.

> [...]
>> > PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam.  We
>> > chose the latter.  The next step
>> > was to add an account.  At this point we realized that to get to your
>> > e-mail
>> > you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, then select an account.
>> > Well,
>> > this is annoying and, I believe, unnecessary.  What we would like to
>> > achieve
>> > is to be able to access WLM the same way my friend has been used to
>> > with
>> > Outlook Express.  You dbl click on the icon on the desktop, open OE and
>> > access your email.  Should we uninstall and reinstall WLM and start
>> > from
>> > scratch?  If we start from "windows live installer" we should be able
>> > achieve the desired resault.
>> > How do we uninstall WLM?  How do we import the contact list from OE?

0
Magnus
7/27/2010 1:54:01 AM
No but if your 'own email address' is made a Live ID, then you can set it up in WLMail to
receive email as usual via your own existing email address. I receive email in WLMail
using an @shaw.ca address for instance. And in fact I use the @shaw.ca for may main and
most used Live ID. I am assuming that email addressed other than @live or @ hotmail can
still be set up as a Live ID... I don't think this has changed, but not quite sure.

Art [artfudd] Folden
--

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything over
> the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows user
> > login.
> >
> > --
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the mail
> > > account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but still
> > > ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3
> > > additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM.  It
> > > just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

0
Art
7/27/2010 9:13:55 PM
Yes, you can still use another address besides Hotmail or Live to create a
Live ID.
I should have said,
If you use your own e-mail address when creating a Live ID, you won't have
a Live Inbox.

--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything over
> the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows user
> > login.
> >
> > --
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the mail
> > > account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but still
> > > ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3
> > > additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM.  It
> > > just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

0
Ron
7/27/2010 10:36:48 PM
With the exception of certain protected partner email addresses, user =
created domains and/or domains on the Live ID blocked=20
list(protected word) that can not be setup or registered...
One of the more humorous attempts to register a user created domain can =
be found here
http://www.windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=3D87e3048b-5104-48cc-=
b9c6-8385c5c9e1ad

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at =
the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything =
over
> the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the =
web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new =
mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows =
user
> > login.
> >
> > --=20
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in =
message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When =
we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the =
mail
> > > account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we =
would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but =
still
> > > ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3
> > > additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM. =
 It
> > > just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

We
OE
OE?

0
winston
7/28/2010 5:32:47 AM
LOL...

Art [artfudd] Folden
--

http://www.windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=87e3048b-5104-48cc-b9c6-8385c5c9e1ad

--

"...winston" wrote:

> Good idea..let us know how it goes or if more help is necessary.
>

> --
> ....winston
> ms-mvp mail
>
> "unoeduefatre"  wrote in message
>
> Thank you everybody.  I think I'm going to see my friend and look at the
> situation directly on his computer, rather than try to do anything over
> the
> phone, as I've been doing.
> I'll be back if I have more questions.
> Gio
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > The "sign-in" feature is not for security, it only enables the web-based
> > optional features of Windows Live Mail.
> > What is your purpose in desiring to be prompted for a password?
> > You can unselect the Save Password option for the mail server,
> > but that will only prevent unauthorized users from downloading new mail.
> > They have full access to existing email messages.
> > If you want real security, each user must have their own Windows user
> > login.
> >
> > --
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> > Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "unoeduefatre" <unoeduefatre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > We tried your suggestions and they worked.  One minor hitch.  When we
> > > checked the "stop signing in" we realize that when he opens the mail
> > > account
> > > he's not asked to use a password.  What we thought was that we would
> > > eliminate the need to sign in with WL to get to the account but still
> > > ahve to
> > > use a password to get into an account's mail ( he now has 2 or 3
> > > additional
> > > accounts, none primary, of course).  Did we do something wrong?
> > > Last thing, he cannot find the*.wab file to import from OE to WLM.  It
> > > just
> > > occurred to me that he may have to configure to view hidden files.
> > > Gio

0
Art
7/28/2010 6:58:32 AM
;)
--
   Don

"Art [artfudd] Folden" <noone@nothere.ca> wrote in message
> LOL...
>

> Art [artfudd] Folden

Don

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Windows Vista

open windows

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Receiving multiple copies of same mail
Can someone tell me why I would be receiving multiple copies of certain emails. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Dave Dave, I dont know. However I have just posted more or less the same question. Lets keep in touch if either of us get a useful reply James >-----Original Message----- >Can someone tell me why I would be receiving multiple copies of certain >emails. > >Thanks in advance for your suggestions. > >Dave > > >. > Have you tried choosing the File option from the menu bar in the Outlook program. Down in the list (you may have to expan...

How to stop inbound mail sent from invalid domains
I'm aware of senderID in Exch2003 SP2. I'm also aware that this does not solve my problem. We are getting hammered with spam...sent from fnord. Example: FROM: sdlkfjsd@udududud.tuuuu TO: ValidUser@MyCompany.com I understand that senderID is used to stop forgery (if the world+dog added SFP info to DNS zone and they have not yet) but SenderID goes above and beyond what I'm looking for...I'm asking for something more basic. How to I get exchange to drop email sent such that the server email address's domain is totally bogus? (Forget SPF records...the domain does not eve...

Organising mails
I am trying to organise mails in outlook such that messages sent to me but not replied are shown up in a seperate color. I am able to set mails to me to be dispalyed in a different color (Tools --> Organise --> Using Colors) but am unable to set both "replied" & "mails to me" condition. Not sure if you can check the reply status of a mail item "attaboy" <attaboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16E41417-D234-4C19-A1B2-7C0E13598C15@microsoft.com... >I am trying to organise mails in outlook such that messages sent to me but...

filtering a mailing list
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) How do you filter a mailing list by zip code? Autofilter. If you can't be bothered to type a detailed question, we can't be bothered to type a detailed answer :-) On 7/03/10 12:23 PM, in article 59bb412f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "tcmetrock@officeformac.com" <tcmetrock@officeformac.com> wrote: > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) How do you filter a mailing list by > zip code? This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum matters unless you intend to pay! -- J...

determine mail flow problem!!!!!!!!
Help! :-( Our mailflow from 2 backend 2003 exchange servers keeps queuing up in the outbound queue (which is set to always run delivery). Messages stay in there from 10 to 120 minutes before being sent to our gateway MTA and then sent off site (to hotmail.com for example). However when I telnet from a backend server to the gateway over port 25 and send a test message it goes right away. I can't for the life of me figure out why. One example when viewed in message tracking history says: 10:16am - smtp: store driver, message submitted from store 10:16am - smtp: message submitted to ...

Windows recovery console

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Problem with outgoing mail
The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'sukotto51@hotmail.com'. Subject 'Divided+Microwave+Plates+With+Lids+from+Collections+Etc.', Account: 'Windows Mail', Server: 'plus.smtp.m...

Secret Mail box
How can I create a second secret mail box in outlook That's password protected? What version and for what purpose? Not being nosy but your answer to the latter question may provide a better and easier solution. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Paul asked: | How can I create a second secret mail box in outlook That's password | protected? ...

Windows update error

Font in Mail Body
It is possible to make Arial the default font (body) when creating an new mail? In standard it is Verdana and you have to change it manually every time... I'm having the same problem/question. Would like to know if there is a solution for this one! Jan "Thomas T." wrote: > It is possible to make Arial the default font (body) when creating an new > mail? In standard it is Verdana and you have to change it manually every > time... ...

How Do I Remove Page # From Cover Sheet w/ Windows 2007?
I am writing a paper in Windows 2007 and cannot have a page number on the cover sheet. Help! Thanks : ) Presumably you mean Word 2007 since (a) there is no Windows 2007 and (b) Windows is not a word processor. Click in the header/footer to open it. In the Options group of the contextual Header & Footer Tools | Design tab, check the box for "Different First Page." Leave the First Page Header/Footer empty. If you need to start the numbering with 1 on the the second page, click on Page Number, choose Format Page Numbers, and change the "Page numbering" set...