Setting up Message rules

I have read a few other post about setting up message rules, but I still
can't get my messages to go into the folders I have set up.  Here is what I
have done.  In message rules I have selected the Where the from line Contains
-email-.  Move it to -set- folder.  I then go to apply now.  I change
"Storage Folders" to "Inbox" and then select Apply Now.  Am I doing something
wrong?  This is for my work emails.  I receive lots of emails from a couple
different email address, and they are all POP3.
Any help to get my folders set up would be great!!  THANKS!!

Is the From using an existing contact(selected from your Contact list vs manual entry) ?

Does the rule include 'Stop processing more rules'

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"KatieG"  wrote in message news:A130D4F3-FA90-45D2-A907-30C87469AA31@microsoft.com...

I have read a few other post about setting up message rules, but I still
can't get my messages to go into the folders I have set up.  Here is what I
have done.  In message rules I have selected the Where the from line Contains
-email-.  Move it to -set- folder.  I then go to apply now.  I change
"Storage Folders" to "Inbox" and then select Apply Now.  Am I doing something
wrong?  This is for my work emails.  I receive lots of emails from a couple
different email address, and they are all POP3.
Any help to get my folders set up would be great!!  THANKS!!
0
winston
9/8/2010 8:04:29 PM
You've run into a program bug.

BUG in Windows Live Mail when Manually applying mail message rules

When Manually applying a mail Message Rule criteria Where From Contains
'X'.

A From header can be of two forms:

1)  From: Name <e-mail address>
2)  From: e-mail address

When Manually applied, the mail rule does NOT check the e-mail address
in form #1 within the < >.

It will match the e-mail address in form #2.  And it will match if
checking for Name.

The rule works perfectly when automatically applied to incoming POP3
messages.  It will match on the e-mail address in the <>.

The bug just appears with the From header.  The To and Cc headers when
Manually applying rules work fine.

This bug also applies to news message rules whether automatically or
manually applied.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"KatieG" <KatieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have read a few other post about setting up message rules, but I
> still
> can't get my messages to go into the folders I have set up.  Here is
> what I
> have done.  In message rules I have selected the Where the from line
> Contains
> -email-.  Move it to -set- folder.  I then go to apply now.  I change
> "Storage Folders" to "Inbox" and then select Apply Now.  Am I doing
> something
> wrong?  This is for my work emails.  I receive lots of emails from a
> couple
> different email address, and they are all POP3.
> Any help to get my folders set up would be great!!  THANKS!!

0
Michael
9/8/2010 8:41:22 PM
....winston -- I take it I should select "Stop Processing more rules" then??
 I also added the address, it was not in my contacts?  Would it work better
if the address was in my contacts??

Michael -- When putting in the email I should be putting "from" in front of
the email address?  So when I put in the address it should look like:  From:
email@email.com

"Michael Santovec" wrote:

> You've run into a program bug.
>
> BUG in Windows Live Mail when Manually applying mail message rules
>
> When Manually applying a mail Message Rule criteria Where From Contains
> 'X'.
>
> A From header can be of two forms:
>
> 1)  From: Name <e-mail address>
> 2)  From: e-mail address
>
> When Manually applied, the mail rule does NOT check the e-mail address
> in form #1 within the < >.
>
> It will match the e-mail address in form #2.  And it will match if
> checking for Name.
>
> The rule works perfectly when automatically applied to incoming POP3
> messages.  It will match on the e-mail address in the <>.
>
> The bug just appears with the From header.  The To and Cc headers when
> Manually applying rules work fine.
>
> This bug also applies to news message rules whether automatically or
> manually applied.
>
> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "KatieG" <KatieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have read a few other post about setting up message rules, but I
> > still
> > can't get my messages to go into the folders I have set up.  Here is
> > what I
> > have done.  In message rules I have selected the Where the from line
> > Contains
> > -email-.  Move it to -set- folder.  I then go to apply now.  I change
> > "Storage Folders" to "Inbox" and then select Apply Now.  Am I doing
> > something
> > wrong?  This is for my work emails.  I receive lots of emails from a
> > couple
> > different email address, and they are all POP3.
> > Any help to get my folders set up would be great!!  THANKS!!
>

> .

Yes...select stop processing more rules(it will only end that rule) before moving on the next(if present).

Adding the sender to your contacts overrides the rule bug that Michael notes or just enter the name(not email address) that appears in the 'From' field of the received message.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Michael Santovec" wrote:

> You've run into a program bug.
>
> BUG in Windows Live Mail when Manually applying mail message rules
>
> When Manually applying a mail Message Rule criteria Where From Contains
> 'X'.
>
> A From header can be of two forms:
>
> 1)  From: Name <e-mail address>
> 2)  From: e-mail address
>
> When Manually applied, the mail rule does NOT check the e-mail address
> in form #1 within the < >.
>
> It will match the e-mail address in form #2.  And it will match if
> checking for Name.
>
> The rule works perfectly when automatically applied to incoming POP3
> messages.  It will match on the e-mail address in the <>.
>
> The bug just appears with the From header.  The To and Cc headers when
> Manually applying rules work fine.
>
> This bug also applies to news message rules whether automatically or
> manually applied.
>
> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "KatieG" <KatieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have read a few other post about setting up message rules, but I
> > still
> > can't get my messages to go into the folders I have set up.  Here is
> > what I
> > have done.  In message rules I have selected the Where the from line
> > Contains
> > -email-.  Move it to -set- folder.  I then go to apply now.  I change
> > "Storage Folders" to "Inbox" and then select Apply Now.  Am I doing
> > something
> > wrong?  This is for my work emails.  I receive lots of emails from a
> > couple
> > different email address, and they are all POP3.
> > Any help to get my folders set up would be great!!  THANKS!!
>

> .

0
winston
9/9/2010 12:05:23 AM
Do NOT put the From in as part of the e-mail address.

You are running into a bug in the program.  The APPLY NOW function is
broken in WLM.  Your rules should work when automatically applied as the
messages download from the server in future.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"KatieG" <KatieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ...winston -- I take it I should select "Stop Processing more rules"
> then??
> I also added the address, it was not in my contacts?  Would it work
> better
> if the address was in my contacts??
>
> Michael -- When putting in the email I should be putting "from" in
> front of
> the email address?  So when I put in the address it should look like:
> From:
> email@email.com
>

> "Michael Santovec" wrote:
>
>> You've run into a program bug.
>>
>> BUG in Windows Live Mail when Manually applying mail message rules
>>
>> When Manually applying a mail Message Rule criteria Where From
>> Contains
>> 'X'.
>>
>> A From header can be of two forms:
>>
>> 1)  From: Name <e-mail address>
>> 2)  From: e-mail address
>>
>> When Manually applied, the mail rule does NOT check the e-mail
>> address
>> in form #1 within the < >.
>>
>> It will match the e-mail address in form #2.  And it will match if
>> checking for Name.
>>
>> The rule works perfectly when automatically applied to incoming POP3
>> messages.  It will match on the e-mail address in the <>.
>>
>> The bug just appears with the From header.  The To and Cc headers
>> when
>> Manually applying rules work fine.
>>
>> This bug also applies to news message rules whether automatically or
>> manually applied.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>>

>> "KatieG" <KatieG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have read a few other post about setting up message rules, but I
>> > still
>> > can't get my messages to go into the folders I have set up.  Here
>> > is
>> > what I
>> > have done.  In message rules I have selected the Where the from
>> > line
>> > Contains
>> > -email-.  Move it to -set- folder.  I then go to apply now.  I
>> > change
>> > "Storage Folders" to "Inbox" and then select Apply Now.  Am I doing
>> > something
>> > wrong?  This is for my work emails.  I receive lots of emails from
>> > couple
>> > different email address, and they are all POP3.
>> > Any help to get my folders set up would be great!!  THANKS!!
>>

>> .

0
Michael

rule question for email from specific server
I am new to setting up rules do please bear with me. is there a way to set up a rule so that all emails from a specific server (example is aa.com) go into a specific folder? I can do it individually each time someone from work emails me but want to set it up so that people from aa.com who have never emailed me would automatically go into my AA folder. thanks -- ****************************** remove 1 to reply David MacLeod dmacleo@midmaine1.com P4 800 MHZ 2.8 OC to 3.13 Twin Seagate 120 SATA set as RAID 0 1024 MB Buffalo DDR 466 ATI 9800 Pro 256 MB Thermaltake Spark7 cpu fan Thermaltak...

Can I set cores on my print spooler?
Hi All, On WS2003, can I limit the number of cores the print spooler uses? Many thanks, -T ...

static message handlers
Is it possible to assign static method as command handler without additional nonstatic wrapper method? I.e. now I have some handlers looking like this: void OnStaticJob() {CMyClass::DoStaticJob();} Another problem is CCmdUI update handlers, which enables/disables command according to BOOL IsX() method result. I have these BOOL IsX() methods, but there is no way to 'connect' them with command update handlers, so I need to define wrapper handlers, which just does this code: OnUpdateX(CCmdUI* pCmdUI) {pCmdUI->Enable(IsX());} Maybe there is more elegant solutions for these problems? T...

How do I customize print set up in excel 2003
My office just upgraded Microsoft 98 to Microsoft XP, I'm using 2 up computer form (9.5" x 11") to print and using Panasonic KX-P1121 printer. The paper size that I was using in Microsoft 98 W=8.46" L=5.51", but now I notice that in Microsoft XP I could not customize the paper size, is that a way to do it? Likely, you didn't also upgrade your printer driver for XP? ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "linacml" <linacml@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:895EB79F-6519-486F-9BED-8B0B2F81FA49@microsoft.com... > My offic...

Office Error Message
I reinstalled Microsoft Office 2004 and now when I open any of the Microsoft Office applications I get the following message "An unexpexted error occured while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library".....why is this happening now??? How do I get rid of it? Is this a problem??? Hi, You'll get that message until you install the Office updates. From the Help menu of any office application choose "Check For Updates." You can obtain the updates from Mactopia's download section, as well. -Jim Gordon MacMVP Quoting from "jasonwozniak@yahoo.com" &l...

Error Messages in CRM Trace
Hello, I'm getting the following Eror Messages in my CRM 4.0 Trace. This Error Message occours every minute, even when nobody is using the CRM. I think this error comes from a background service because I never got an error message when using CRM. Has someone an idea how to solve the problem? with regards Janis ----- [2008-10-17 09:53:29.6] Process: w3wp |Organization:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Thread: 1 |Category: Exception |User: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Level: Error | CrmException..ctor at CrmException..ctor(String message, Exception innerException, ...

The Operation Failed message
I had Outlook 2003 installed on my PC but I uninstalled it and installed Outlook 2002. Now when I click on the Send/Receive button, I get this message: 'The Operation Failed' I click on OK and the window goes away but I don't get any messages. I've removed my email account in Outlook. I created a new .pst file. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2002. All with no luck. Any ideas? Matt, you wrote on Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:39:57 -0500: > I had Outlook 2003 installed on my PC but I uninstalled it and installed > Outlook 2002. Now when I click on the Send...

Clicking on Link within e-mail results in access denied message
My Mother-In-Law is having a problem opening links sent to her within E-mails with Outlook. When she clicks on them, it yields an error message that tells her to contact the system administrator, that her access is denied. This is a home PC with a new installation of Windows XP. Does anyone know what steps she can take to fix this? Thanks! -Steve ...

Mail Rules don't work
I do have aa POP server d-mail, so mail rules should work. They don't. I sel up sub-folders of my Inbox. Is that the problem? I have used rules for years and never had a problem. Now I can't get them to work. What do I have to do to make them work in WLM? -- Penny What type of rule? Are you trying to divert incoming mail to these subfolders? The following is for OE, but applies to WLMail as well. In general: Have all rules that Delete it from server first. Rules that divert mail to folders next. All others last. Make sure that every rule also has Sto...

Money 2002
I have a question for what to catagorize the following debits. I'm tired of putting them in the "misc." catagory but how would you set the following up? Baby diapers Dry cleaning Haircuts Probably off the wall question I know but I just wondered how everyone else may be catagorizing these. Thanks in advance, Rod I have subcategories for Miscellaneous:Dry Cleaning and Personal Care:Haircuts. Diapers have never been relevant, but I don't think I'd track them separately. Maybe Miscellaneous:Supplies since that's where I put toilet paper for the big people? There&...

Force Text-Only Viewing of Messages in Outlook 2000
I'd like all my email to come in as text only and not view the rendered HTML page by default. Using Outlook 2000 and XP Pro, is this possible? BrianEWilliams <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote: > I'd like all my email to come in as text only and not view the > rendered HTML page by default. Using Outlook 2000 and XP Pro, is > this possible? The option to read all mail in Plain Text was not introduced until Outlook 2002. -- Brian Tillman Brian Tillman wrote: > BrianEWilliams <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > I'd like all my email to c...

Archiving all messages in Exchange 2003 ?
Is it possible to effectively BCC a copy of every message through the exchange( internally and externally IN/OUT) into some sort of PST file or folder which can be archived off somewhere and deleted at regular intervals ? Any help much appreciated. TIA Gary Sure: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF011.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Gary D" <gary@admp.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:e7qYko0kFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to effectively BCC a copy of every message thr...

How to change axes settings after adding trendline?
Before adding the trendline to my linear scatter plot, I set my Y axis to range from the desired -7 to -5 scale. After adding the trendline, the axis is changed to range from -7 to 0 which produces almost a flat line. How do I display the trendline on the previous -7 to -5 scale? Double-click on the axis, the Format Axis dialog box should appear. Then under the "Scale" tab of the Format Axis dialog box, you should be able to set the maximum and minimum (to -5 and -7). If that doesn't work, can you tell me what the equation for the trendline is? (Double-click on the trendli...

Applying a different syle set to an existing doc
Hello, I am up to a task that should not be too difficult, but I would really like to know what is the proper way to approach it, with Word 2007. I am given an existing doc (hundreds of pages) formatted with a set of custom styles. I am also given a template file, conteining a new different set of styles. I need to apply the new set to the doc. I am looking for the proper way to: 1) Import the new style set in my doc 2) Apply some kind of "mapping" between the old and the new styles (I hope I don't have to do it selecting paraghraph by paragraph ...) Thank...

how to set all permission to everyone group for all my public fold
Hi I found the power shell command to allow publisher permission to one user at a time. Add-PublicFolderClientPermission -Identity "\Geo Contacts" -AccessRights PublishingEditor -User deepak How can i set permission to every user on the domain with one command. I want every user to have publishingEditor rights on this public folder. It is the public folder contails all the companys external contacts I want to share to every user.I don't want sit here and do it one user at a time. I have exchange 2007 sp1. Please let me know or otherwise I will be here all da...

how do I set up a excel spreadsheet to auto sort data in order
I have a spreadsheet linked to a count which will be changing as numbers are added in. I wish to have the source data automatically update the list and sort that list in descending order with names attached to the figures that are changing. ...

How can I set Office document to print from same printer ea time?
In past versions of Word if you sent the doc to a printer, each time you printed the document it would go to the same printer. Now, in 2003 Word, the printer changes to whatever printer I sent the last document to. For instance, I send envelopes to one printer and letters to another. I shouldn't have to reset the printer everytime. On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:29:01 -0800, JudyD <JudyD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In past versions of Word if you sent the doc to a printer, each time you >printed the document it would go to the same printer. Now, in 2003 Word, ...

can't select field in view to move or set properties
Ever had this problem? Got to be the strangest thing. Well, I found the answer and have to give credit to Mitch Milan's blog and apparaently Nithya Balasubramanian for finding the problem. The problem is when customizing a view you can't select a field to move it to the right or left or edit the width. Here is the answer: http://blogs.infinite-x.net/2007/11/10/solution-to-unable-to-edit-view-columns/ In case this link doesn't work the answer is simply and quite strangely adding about:blank to your trusted sites or to the local intranet site depending on what zone your crm ...

Automatic reply to messages
I am a new Outlook user and have difficulty trying to set up an automatic repsonse to messages. I create the email and save it as a user defined template. The send to field is blank and i just add content to the body of the message. I then create a rule and reference this template. Is there anything else i need to do ... My rule has 3 conditions ... look for a specific email address conming in, reply using template and move message to a specific folder. The rule does 1 and 3 ok but not send out a reply .. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. Cheers, Seamus You don't say wha...

the security needed for SET IDENTITY_INSERT
Hello there I have 2 databases: Db1 and DB2. I have table on DB1 called Users and store procedure which insert data to it: save_new_user_sp. i also have procedure on db2 called: save_user_sp which calls to procedure on db1 in: exec DB1.dbo.SAVE_NEW_USER the user who run the procedure save_user_sp have only permissions to run these both procedures only. however when i add the code: SET IDENTITY_INSERT Users ON run to save_new_user_sp and run the procedure on db2 i'm getting the error: Cannot find object Users. which permission i need for SET IDENTITY_INSERT .. O...

cannot enter text in an Outlook message
The message pane has a small blinking dot in the middle. I cannot enter text. I hit a key or two by accident. How do I fix? ...

How to set NULL brush for splitter view
Hi, I am just starting to mess around with DC calls in my view class OnDraw(), and am trying to figure out how to set the background brush to NULL. This is because I am getting this annoying flicker in my child window splitter views when I resize the child window. I searched for and found an article online that said you should set the hbrBackground member of the WNDCLASS structure to NULL. Then one could paint their own background by catching the WM_ERASEBKGND message or testing the fErase member of the PAINTSTRUCT filled in by BeginPaint(). So far so good, I understand that. But I can...

Service, Threads and Messages
I'm working on converting an existing application into a Windows Service. The resulting service will be multi-threaded. Some threads are simple little worker threads that need to post a message to the main thread when they are finished. Currently, the worker threads just post a message to the main apps window. But, since a Service doesn't have any Windows, how do I go about posting a message to my main thread from a worker thread? Thank you, DanB Dan Baker wrote: > I'm working on converting an existing application into a Windows Service. > The resulting service w...

Welcome Screen says I have unread mail messages
Today I have noticed the XP welcome screen says I have unread mail messages when I don't. I've checked all my email clients and all messages are marked as read. Is there anything else I can do to check where these unread messages might be? Check your Junk Mail Folder. You may want to post this in the correct newsgroup, depending on which email client you are using...Outlook? Outlook Express? This is a newsgroop for Publisher "Steve Spurgin" <SteveSpurgin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2937B518-6373-4EE4-AAED-7167DD4E2318@microsoft.com... | ...

Entourage recurring shut down message
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop From working absolutely fine for the past 15 months or so, today I am getting constant &quot;Microsoft Entourage has encountered a problem and needs to shut down&quot; messages. It makes no difference whether I opt to send report or not, the message goes away, entourage does not shut down and the message comes back around 30 seconds later. In between the messages, send and receive is working fine. I have force quit both entourage and error reporting, restarted my computer, closed down totally and left...