Problem prefixing lines with >in original message

Using Outlook 2007, Vista Home Premium SP2, HP DV6500 Notebook

When I select Go>News, Windows Mail is now used where previoius versions =
of Windows have used Outlook Express.=20

When replying to newsgroup messages using freenews.netfront.net or =
news.aioe.org, the repeated original message lines are not prefixed with =
the > symbol, despite options being set to do this. When using Microsoft =
Communities, the prefix is added. This seems to be a problem that has =
started recently despite my not having knowingly changed any settings.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Dave S.

0
Dave

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:31:22 -0000, Dave S. wrote:

> Using Outlook 2007, Vista Home Premium SP2, HP DV6500 Notebook
>
> When I select Go>News, Windows Mail is now used where previoius versions of Windows have used Outlook Express.
>
> When replying to newsgroup messages using freenews.netfront.net or news.aioe.org, the repeated original message lines are not prefixed with the > symbol, despite options being set to do this. When using Microsoft Communities, the prefix is added. This seems to be a problem that has started recently despite my not having knowingly changed any settings.
>
> Any help appreciated.

I don't really know much about Windows Mail, the client which ships with
Windows Vista. I only had access to one computer with Windows Vista; but
that has since been updated to Windows 7.

What I do know is the Windows Mail experts hang out here:

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

OTOH, if you have a Windows Live Mail question, I might have an answer for
you. This group has the expertise for this mail agent:

Windows Live Mail Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.0726)

You are using mail agent:

Windows Mail 6.0.6002.18005

Windows Mail is as different from Windows Live Mail as either is from MS
Outlook Express.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"Dave S." <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:evAbNH6sKHA.6004@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Using Outlook 2007, Vista Home Premium SP2, HP DV6500 Notebook
>
> When I select Go>News, Windows Mail is now used where previoius versions of Windows have used Outlook Express.
>
> When replying to newsgroup messages using freenews.netfront.net or news.aioe.org, the repeated original message lines are not
> prefixed with the > symbol, despite options being set to do this. When using Microsoft Communities, the prefix is added. This
> seems to be a problem that has started recently despite my not having knowingly changed any settings.
>
> Any help appreciated.
> Thanks
> Dave S.

0
winston
2/22/2010 6:29:56 PM
Windows Mail is unable to prefix quoted lines with the > symbol
if the original message was composed with the MIME-QP (Quoted
Printable) format. That shortcoming has been fixed in the current
version of Windows Live Mail.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message =
> Cross posted to Vista Windows Mail newsgroup.
>=20
> --=20
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>=20
> "Dave S." <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message =
>> Using Outlook 2007, Vista Home Premium SP2, HP DV6500 Notebook
>>
>> When I select Go>News, Windows Mail is now used where previoius =
versions of Windows have used Outlook Express.

>> When replying to newsgroup messages using freenews.netfront.net or =
news.aioe.org, the repeated original message lines are not=20
>> prefixed with the > symbol, despite options being set to do this. =
When using Microsoft Communities, the prefix is added. This=20
>> seems to be a problem that has started recently despite my not having =
knowingly changed any settings.

>> Any help appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Dave S.

0
Gary
2/22/2010 6:52:48 PM
"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message =
Windows Mail is unable to prefix quoted lines with the > symbol
if the original message was composed with the MIME-QP (Quoted
Printable) format. That shortcoming has been fixed in the current
version of Windows Live Mail.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thanks for the information. I've tried updating my version of Windows =
Live Mail, but the response I get says that I've already got this =
programme. Despite that some messages still do not get the > prefix. =
What is the latest version of WLM, or am I totally misunderstanding =
this?

Cheers
Dave S.
0
Dave
2/23/2010 5:38:09 PM
Latest WLM = 14.0.8089.0726

> "Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Windows Mail is unable to prefix quoted lines with the > symbol
> if the original message was composed with the MIME-QP (Quoted
> Printable) format. That shortcoming has been fixed in the current
> version of Windows Live Mail.

> Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> Thanks for the information. I've tried updating my version of Windows Live
> Mail, but the response I get says that I've already got this programme.
> Despite that some messages still do not get the > prefix. What is the
> latest version of WLM, or am I totally misunderstanding this?
>
> Cheers
> Dave S.

0
slk759
2/23/2010 5:44:43 PM
The headers of your post say you are posting with Windows Mail,
not Windows Live Mail.

Note that your quoted message (immediately below) is not being indented
with the > character. That is because you posted using the 'Quoted =
Printable'
format, and I am responding via Windows Mail.

If you do indeed have Windows Live Mail but for some reason aren't=20
posting to this newsgroup with it, try the "Complete =
Uninstall/Reinstall"
procedure outlined here:
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry

[...]

2/23/2010 6:10:05 PM
How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow executing
executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you just
need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.

0
Sam
2/24/2010 12:12:54 AM
"Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@SamHobbs.org> wrote in message
> How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow executing
> executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you just
> need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.

I use Outlook 2007, and select Go > News, which opens up Windows Mail. I
can't find Windows Live Mail, though when I try to download it, the
downloader says I've already got it.

By the way, your message was automatically prefixed with >, but not all are.

I'm beginning to think I should stop trying to sort this out. Life's too
short!!

Dave S.

0
Dave
2/24/2010 11:19:54 PM
> "Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@SamHobbs.org> wrote in message
>> How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow executing
>> executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you just
>> need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.
>

> I use Outlook 2007, and select Go > News, which opens up Windows Mail. I
> can't find Windows Live Mail, though when I try to download it, the
> downloader says I've already got it.
>
> By the way, your message was automatically prefixed with >, but not all
> are.
>
> I'm beginning to think I should stop trying to sort this out. Life's too
> short!!
>
> Dave S.

Every Program that is installed appears on the all programs list accessed
from the Start button.

The Default mail program needs to be defined at start menu, or Control
Panel>default programs>set your default programs, take your pick of what is
on offer.

Outlook 2007 does not have a newsreader, it will use your default
newsreader.

This is the wrong newsgroup for Outlook 2007.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

0
mac
2/25/2010 1:22:24 AM
There are several places you can verify the presence of Windows Live =
Mail.

a) Via the Start menu: Start, All Programs, Windows Live, Windows Live =
Mail.
b) Via Windows Explorer: look for C:\Program File\Windows Live\Mail\.
c) Via Control Panel: Programs and Features, look for Windows Live =
Essentials.
d) Finally, go to the Default Programs applet, which you can access =
either=20
from the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item:
"Set your default programs."
After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Is "Windows Live Mail =
(News)
listed there? If yes, click on it if you want to make it the default =
newsgroups=20
handler. If it doesn't respond with "This program has all its defaults"
then fix it by clicking on the option indicated by the first green =
arrow.=20
=20
Frankly, I would not switch to Windows Live Mail as your default =
newsgroups
handler if your only problem with it was the failure to indent certain =
posts
with the > character.  In my opinion, the news module in Windows Mail is
more stable than the one in Windows Live Mail.
--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Dave S." <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message =
> "Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@SamHobbs.org> wrote in message=20
>> How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow =
executing=20
>> executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you =
just=20
>> need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.
>=20
>=20
> I use Outlook 2007, and select Go > News, which opens up Windows Mail. =
I=20
> can't find Windows Live Mail, though when I try to download it, the=20
> downloader says I've already got it.
>=20
> By the way, your message was automatically prefixed with >, but not =
all are.
>=20
> I'm beginning to think I should stop trying to sort this out. Life's =
too=20
> short!!
>=20
> Dave S.=20

0
Gary
2/25/2010 1:46:02 AM
"Dave S." <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@SamHobbs.org> wrote in message
>> How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow executing
>> executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you just
>> need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.
>

> I use Outlook 2007, and select Go > News, which opens up Windows Mail. I
> can't find Windows Live Mail, though when I try to download it, the
> downloader says I've already got it.
>
> By the way, your message was automatically prefixed with >, but not all
> are.
>
> I'm beginning to think I should stop trying to sort this out. Life's too
> short!!

A few days ago, Gary VanderMole explained why some messages don't get the
">" for text from the message being replied to.

0
Sam

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Outlook not sending messages from correct POP3 account
I am a tech support person, supporting several companies from my home. Therefore, I have several pop3 email accounts setup on my computer in Outlook. When I reply to an email, I need to make sure that the correct account shows up in the "From" field. This works for some messages, but for others, the email is sent from the wrong account (making me look real bad :-)). This happens even when it says it's going to be sent from the correct account, if I check the sent items afterward, I'll see that it was sent from the wrong account. This is driving me batty and I nee...

Problem with Authentication

Updated KB: Thin Line Appears and Is Printed Outside Object with Border and Fill Applied
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290911 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Importing Message Archival
Hello everyone, I have turned on the message archival under IMS logging to for the purpose of backup. I can open these file with notepad for administrative purposes, but what I really need to do is to import these into a mail box or a pst file so I can read them using outlook. Any input is welcome, Thanks. Calvin wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I have turned on the message archival under IMS logging to for the purpose > of backup. I can open these file with notepad for administrative purposes, > but what I really need to do is to import these into a mail box or a pst >...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Lookup() problem
I set up two lists, 200 employees names and 200 employee numbers. A couple of the numbers match the correct names but the rest of the numbers all pull the same employee name. =LOOKUP(C4,List!C4:C204,List!B4:B204) The first time I tried it seemed to pull the correct matching names and numbers then kabui it gets stuck. I tried deleting the entire lists cells and all and starting over but same thing. Anyone ever run into this before? Wayman Don't forget! When using Lookup(), the vector (second argument) must be sorted in ascending order. If it's not, you'll get what you ca...