Not my mail.

Somehow, a message was sent from my email account to everyone in my contact
list. Each message was just a web address and there were no copies sent to
other contacts. I was alerted to this by a large number of undeliverable
emails that were returned to me and there was a copy of each in my Sent
folder.  Today, I received another batch of returned mail. This time there
were 10 contacts for each message that was sent. Again, there was just a
single address in the body. But this time there was nothing in the Sent
folder.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to stop it?
windows.live.mail.desktop 2738 articles. 8 followers. Follow

If there was a copy in your Sent Items folder, then you have malware resident.

Download and run Malwarebytes:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"g8rman"  wrote in message news:AB6F4165-F5B0-498F-9E9D-2A27FAE58898@microsoft.com...

Somehow, a message was sent from my email account to everyone in my contact
list. Each message was just a web address and there were no copies sent to
other contacts. I was alerted to this by a large number of undeliverable
emails that were returned to me and there was a copy of each in my Sent
folder.  Today, I received another batch of returned mail. This time there
were 10 contacts for each message that was sent. Again, there was just a
single address in the body. But this time there was nothing in the Sent
folder.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to stop it?

0
Gary
6/24/2010 1:37:34 AM
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:50:25 -0700, g8rman
<g8rman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Somehow, a message was sent from my email account to everyone in my contact
>list. Each message was just a web address and there were no copies sent to
>other contacts. I was alerted to this by a large number of undeliverable
>emails that were returned to me and there was a copy of each in my Sent
>folder.  Today, I received another batch of returned mail. This time there
>were 10 contacts for each message that was sent. Again, there was just a
>single address in the body. But this time there was nothing in the Sent
>folder.
>Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to stop it?

Change your e-mail password, and run a full virus scan on your
computer.
Evan
6/24/2010 2:35:44 PM
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:50:25 -0700, g8rman wrote:

> Somehow, a message was sent from my email account to everyone in my contact
> list. Each message was just a web address and there were no copies sent to
> other contacts. I was alerted to this by a large number of undeliverable
> emails that were returned to me and there was a copy of each in my Sent
> folder.  Today, I received another batch of returned mail. This time there
> were 10 contacts for each message that was sent. Again, there was just a
> single address in the body. But this time there was nothing in the Sent
> folder.
> Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to stop it?

Most common cause of this effect is spammer forger. I had a yahoo.com
account email address forged in a spam run. Back when Yahoo! Mail had a
smaller Inbox, and email services were prone to creating backscatter. I had
to create a rule to pitch the bounces in order not to have that Inbox become
full. I had several MailWasher bounces, which turned me against that
application.

If none of those email messages are in your Sent Items folder, your client
(or account, if strictly web mail) was not used to send those messages. It
is still advisable to check for malware, but the explanation may simply be
spammer forgery of your email address.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

The problem could be caused by any one (or a combination) of
various scenarios.

a.    Forged spam (i.e. someone is forging the OP's email
address, and is creating / sending spam from a different machine
and IP address.  This is the least damaging possibility.
Although the OP will receive message bounces, there is nothing he
can do to resolve the situation.

b.    Someone has hacked into the OP's webmail account.  The OP
should use his browser to sign into the account via the webmail
interface.  He might see outgoing messages in the sent folder
(unless the hacker has deleted the contents of the sent folder).

c.    There is a malware infection on the OP's computer, and the
infection is using WLMail (or an integral mail client) to send
the messages.  As I said previously, the absence of messages in
the WLMail sent folder does not prove conclusively that the OP's
computer has not been infected.  From the OP's previous comments,
I suspect that the computer IS infected.

If any of the bounces still contain the outgoing messages in
their entirety, the headers might provide clues as to how they
originated (such as the originator's IP address) and/or the
software that was used to create the message.

In the meantime, the OP's first priority must be to identify and
resolve the problem (which will probably be easier said than
done).  He should use various tools to scan the computer and
remove any malware.  It will also be prudent to change passwords
that provide access to all mail account(s), (including webmail
accounts).

"N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:50:25 -0700, g8rman wrote:
>
>> Somehow, a message was sent from my email account to everyone
>> in my contact
>> list. Each message was just a web address and there were no
>> copies sent to
>> other contacts. I was alerted to this by a large number of
>> undeliverable
>> emails that were returned to me and there was a copy of each
>> in my Sent
>> folder.  Today, I received another batch of returned mail.
>> This time there
>> were 10 contacts for each message that was sent. Again, there
>> was just a
>> single address in the body. But this time there was nothing in
>> the Sent
>> folder.
>> Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to stop it?
>
> Most common cause of this effect is spammer forger. I had a
> yahoo.com
> account email address forged in a spam run. Back when Yahoo!
> Mail had a
> smaller Inbox, and email services were prone to creating
> backscatter. I had
> to create a rule to pitch the bounces in order not to have that
> Inbox become
> full. I had several MailWasher bounces, which turned me against
> that
> application.
>
> If none of those email messages are in your Sent Items folder,
> your client
> (or account, if strictly web mail) was not used to send those
> messages. It
> is still advisable to check for malware, but the explanation
> may simply be
> spammer forgery of your email address.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
Bob

re-downloading mail on Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. Using Outlook 97, my wife and I were able to use different computers but share one email account. The same mail was downloaded to each PC one time. Now, the same mail gets downloaded over and over again on each PC. I obviously can choose to delete the mail from the server so that it only gets read once, but then the second PC will never see it. How can I get the same behavior from Outlook 2003 that I used to have? Reading 500 messages every 10 minutes makes the upgrade really unusable. Try creating a new mail profile on each comput...

How do you a mail message to everyone in your mail database
How do you sending a mail message to everyone is your mail database? I have switched internet dial-up links and need to send a message to everyone. -- Michael Felix felix@attglobal.net You can select all items in your Contacts folder (assuming they all have valid e-mail addresses -- if not, set a filter first so that only those with valid e-mail addresses are showing) and then click Actions | New message to contact. Of course, if you have a lot of contacts, your ISP may balk at sending to so many at once -- if so, you'll have to break up the list somehow. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP -...

OL2003 unable to send mail
Hi In OL2003 when I try to send email I get; 'Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: .... None of your email accounts could send to this recipient.' The pc is connected to the internet via a router. Other pcs connected to the router can send mail fine. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards Do you require authentication to send email? check with your provider. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23AzlAxUQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi ...

Safe sendershould not go to junk mail
Hi, I have an web application sends email, I found outlook 2003 puts the emails to the junk mail folder if multiple emails were sent within a short period of time, about 1 minute. The initial one was ok went to inbox, while the followings went to junk mail. but if the gap between multiple emails sent time was longer, the problem went away. (each one went to inbox). This only happened for outlook 2003, not for outlook xp. The sender address is in the global address list, with the same domain with all my users. (so I think it qualified as safe sender.) Question: How can I turn off this filt...

multiple e-mails
Usin' Outlook or Outlook Express, for some reason I keep gettin' repeat emails. Somebody can send me one and I get the same message two or three times! What can I do, if anything, to cure this problem? Anybody had the same problem? Please don't tell me I'm the only one that has had this problem... Rayce texican@coastaccess.com ...

roadwarrior + principal + multigig e-mail + psts = ???
hi all, here's the deal. we have a principal who travels all the time. she gets an insane amount of legit e-mail with small to large attachments (we cap it at 15 MB, 5 MB is fairly common). her mailbox is capped at 700 MB. this is not enough. we have to archive for her every other month. she has almost 2GBs of PST archives on the network. she wants to have access to them all the time. so we have set up offline files to sync the pst folder. ick. sometimes she'll actually edit the psts on the road and when she gets back she's asked to choose between the network version and her loca...

mails are not going out side of my domain
hi , i have an exchange 2003 (sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i have an smtp filter for exchange which filters the mails coming in my exchange server , the scenario is like that , first i have an router then pix firewall and then smtp filter then my exchange comes ,he domain controller and exchnage are on same machine. today i am getting a problem is that the mails from hotmail and yahoo are coming to my exchange but the mails from my exchange are not going outside ,the error i am getting is given below. "Your message with Subject: hi test mail could not be delivered to the fo...

e-mail #17
Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What am I doing wrong? Orville Cruea <ocruea@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my > default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how > to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it > continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What > am I doing wrong? What you are doi...

Counts for Mail Folders #2
I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. I don't think that's possible "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21235507-8D1A-49F6-8ACA-AEFF12922B79@microsoft.com... > I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and > subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. ...

Importing old MS Mail folders
I need to import the shared folders and global address book from an old MS Mail postoffice. I have seen some discussions concerning migrating mailboxes but very little at that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THanx! ...

repititive e-mails
Outlook 2002 in Office XP When sending, the mail does not leave the outbox and sends over and over again, never making it to the sent items folder. The recipients are getting it multiple times. How to fix? ...

Unable to send e-mails, but can receive e-mail.
I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not receive e-mails. My network configuration is correct. My IP address and server are correctly labeled, but I still can not receive e-mail. Everyone on the server are not having any problems. What should I do? Hi - which is it you're having a problem with? Your subject line & message content are contradictory... Are you connecting to an Exchange server? What kind of mail account are you having problems with? What errors do you get? GJimenez wrote: > I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not > receive...

Mail receiveing but not sending
Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can recieve mail fine but when I send mail it goes but doesn't turn up at the other end! I used the ICW in sbs 2003 to configure it. I've checked the queues on the exchange server but there all empty. My exchange Small Business SMTP connector Properties are set to forward all mail through a smart host. currently smtp.ozemail.com.au!! Not sure why this is happening! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Any help from SBS newsgroup? John wrote: > Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can > recie...

Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting
hi... this is the problem i am facing...can anyone help me "Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting" pls reply in vijai@fourdtech.co.in" Thanks & Regards Vijay The most likely reason is that you have an antivirus solution installed that can scan e-mail as it is downloaded. You would need to disable the scanning of e-mail to get what you describe to stop. "vijai@fourdtech.co.in" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:146d01c4a20a$b5ca8e60$a301280a@phx.gbl... > hi... > > this is ...

Replicate mail boxes?
is it possable to replicate mail boxes? I would like to do this while we migrate fully over to our new server? What are you trying to accomplish? replicate Stores? At byte and block levels using 3rd party products like NSI, or from storage vendors like NetApp (SnapMirror) and EMC. Exchange 12 is reported to have log shipping. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:e$ZlNv66FHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > is it possable to replicate mail...

change mail format for contacts
For the iphone, attachments come over as winmail.dat and the solution is to change the mail format in options, mail format to HTML. Also the individual contacts needs to be changed by double clicking the email address and changing the internet format to Send Plain Text only. After these changes are made, the attachments come over fine. I have had problems with this issue with some contact before. I would love to be able to make this change globally instead of having to edit all contacts. Can this be done. It can be done with some VBA code, which you'll find here: ht...

Mailing in a test enviornment
I have a CRM ans SQL server configure on a single machine and the Domain controleer along with exchange Server on a seperate machine. Till some time back Mails could be sent via CRM and they could be seen in the history tab. Suddenly when i try to send mails vai CRM, it gives me the following error: Unexpected Error for more information contact your system administrator. I have checked all the necessary services required for the excahnge enviornment. The exchange router has been reinstalled as well. Still cannot figure out why I am getting this error. Thank for your help in advance Jus...

delete blocked senders messages on receipt why junk mail them?
Why is it that after going to all the trouble of putting people onto a blocked senders list the filter still puts their messages into the junk mail folder for you to delete them? Or am I understanding the training wrong? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....

cannot receive mail, delete mail, or send mail. get an error message.
Now I know why I switch between Outlook Express and Outlook: Both cease to function at one point in time. In Outlook 2000, I cannot receive mail; I cannot delete mail; I cannot use the calendar function. Here are the messages: When I click receive mail, I get: C:Windows\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed.access denied. and: (Account:'incoming.verizon.net',PPO3server:'incoming.verizo n.net',error number:0x800040116). I cannot delete. I get the following message:C:Windows\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook ..pst could not be accessed...

Not able to send or receive with windows mail.
I have set up windows mail but are not able to send or recveive mail i have this error msg come up was wondering if someone might have some ideas on how i fix this prob. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Windows Mail', Server: 'yahoo.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Thanks "Travnikk" <Travnikk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D31924D-1B29-49C6-AB8...

Incoming E-Mail
Good morning: If I send an e-mail from CRM, and the client responds, the e-mail ends up in my Outlook--not in CRM. Nor does a copy of the e-mail response end up in CRM. I have to tell the program "Track in CRM" even though it was sent from there originally. Is this by design or have I missed a mail routing rule/configuration setting? Thanks Hi Dave, If you look in closed activities, do you see the replied email? I seems to me that the exchange router simply creates a forwarding rule for the iser (the one sending and receiving email) that forwards incoming email with the...

Mails disappearing.
I tried to move a mail to a folder using "Right Click > Move to folder > OK" without selecting any folders. The default selection was "Personal Folder". Noted that this mail had moved from the inbox. But no idea where the mail has gone. Please help to find those mails. Best Regards Same. Then they are probably in the Outlook Today folder. See here how you can retrieve them; www.howto-outlook.com/faq/mailoutlooktoday.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slip...

mail Attachment
Hi, I have recently done transition from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007, Now I have coexisting env. The problem is, I am unable to send and recieve email with attachement of more than 2 MB. I can send and recieve 10 MB inside my exchange 2007 organisation, but unable to send outside. I am also using barracuda for SMTP for inbond and outbond mails. -- Regards Adehas On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 02:33:01 -0800, Adehas <Adehas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recently done transition from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007, Now >I have coexisting env. The ...

No mail to the other emails
There's 1 exchange 5.5 sp4 server for 2 very small companies with 2 different internet domain names which was working without any problems. i removed all user accounts and mailboxs i also removed their settings because they will be setup on a exchange 2003 server. but now when i try to send them emails from the exchange 5.5 server it just sits in the queues and in the box that says host unreachable. i tried sending email to them from hotmail and other domains and it worked it just doesn't work when sending email to the other email domain. I had this problem before with exc...

create new mail item from current item
Greetings, How can I create a new mail item from the active inspector current item? Thank you, Please provide more details on what you want to do. In other words, what does the current item have to do with the new item you want to create? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54 "lindstrom" wrote: > Greetings, > How can I create a new mail item from the active inspector current item? > Thank you, > > --- > fr...