my client can't open attachement of my mail

Dear All:

One of my client told me they can't open my PDF attachment through windows
live mail. They also told me this only happens to my mail and they can open
attachment properly from other company; and moreover, almost all the
recipient can open my attachment but only above mentioned company can't open
it. I feel strange whether me or the company may cause this problem?

Below is the error message told from the company, that can't open my pdf
file as I said:

Adobe reader could not open.....pdf because it is either not a supported
file type or because the file has been damaged [for example,it was sent as an
e-mail attachment and was not correctly decoded].

PS: my system is Win7-64bit, I use Acrobat 9 pro, my client use Adobe reader 8

What should I do?

I'll appreciate if anyone can answer and send me your suggestion directly to
my address:

epmd0220@ms17.hinet.net

Thanks a lot!!!

John,

There are several settings in Acrobat Pro 9 that might prevent opening by
Adobe Reader 8. But there could be other reasons.

To narrow down the causes, I would suggest that you obtain Adobe Reader 8
and see if you can open the PDF in the Sent Items folder.

Let us know the outcome.

-Bob

file as I said:

Adobe reader could not open.....pdf because it is either not a supported
file type or because the file has been damaged [for example,it was sent as
an
e-mail attachment and was not correctly decoded].

PS: my system is Win7-64bit, I use Acrobat 9 pro, my client use Adobe reader
8

What should I do?

I'll appreciate if anyone can answer and send me your suggestion directly to
my address:

epmd0220@ms17.hinet.net

Thanks a lot!!!

0
Bob
5/13/2010 2:49:15 PM
A couple of things to check

1) Tools (ALT+T), Accounts, Mail, Properties, Advanced.  Make sure that
Break Apart is unchecked.

2) Look at the message in the Sent Items folder and view the Message
Source (Ctrl-F3).  See what type of encoding is used for the PDF file.

If it's quoted-printable (which WLM may choose based on the file
contents) that can get corrupted in transit by mail server processing,
anti-virus or anti-spam programs.  Workarounds include zipping the file
(which means more work for the recipient) or using Uuencode rather than
MIME (Tools, Options, Send, Plain Text settings).  Note that with HTML
messages, use must use MIME.

It it's using Uuencode, there are some potential compatibility issues
with some mail clients.  Got you coming and going.

For some additional information, see:
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"John Tsai" <John Tsai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear All:
>
> One of my client told me they can't open my PDF attachment through
> windows
> live mail. They also told me this only happens to my mail and they can
> open
> attachment properly from other company; and moreover, almost all the
> recipient can open my attachment but only above mentioned company
> can't open
> it. I feel strange whether me or the company may cause this problem?
>
> Below is the error message told from the company, that can't open my
> pdf
> file as I said:
>
> Adobe reader could not open.....pdf because it is either not a
> supported
> file type or because the file has been damaged [for example,it was
> sent as an
> e-mail attachment and was not correctly decoded].
>
> PS: my system is Win7-64bit, I use Acrobat 9 pro, my client use Adobe
> reader 8
>
> What should I do?
>
> I'll appreciate if anyone can answer and send me your suggestion
> directly to
> my address:
>
> epmd0220@ms17.hinet.net
>
> Thanks a lot!!!

0
Michael
5/13/2010 7:15:59 PM
Hi Bob,

Tks for your help, however I don't have Reader 8 to download and test
myself...besides, my friend has Reader 8 and he can open my file, so the only
one can't open my attachment is the specific company I mentioned.

"Bob Campbell" wrote:

> John,
>
> There are several settings in Acrobat Pro 9 that might prevent opening by
> Adobe Reader 8. But there could be other reasons.
>
> To narrow down the causes, I would suggest that you obtain Adobe Reader 8
> and see if you can open the PDF in the Sent Items folder.
>
> Let us know the outcome.
>
> -Bob
>
> "John Tsai" <John Tsai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear All:
>
> One of my client told me they can't open my PDF attachment through windows
> live mail. They also told me this only happens to my mail and they can open
> attachment properly from other company; and moreover, almost all the
> recipient can open my attachment but only above mentioned company can't open
> it. I feel strange whether me or the company may cause this problem?
>
> Below is the error message told from the company, that can't open my pdf
> file as I said:
>
> Adobe reader could not open.....pdf because it is either not a supported
> file type or because the file has been damaged [for example,it was sent as
> an
> e-mail attachment and was not correctly decoded].
>
> PS: my system is Win7-64bit, I use Acrobat 9 pro, my client use Adobe reader
> 8
>
> What should I do?
>
> I'll appreciate if anyone can answer and send me your suggestion directly to
> my address:
>
> epmd0220@ms17.hinet.net
>
> Thanks a lot!!!

Hi Michael,

Your step 2 is helpful. I choose Uuencode rather than MIME and the company
told me he can open the attachment!

I feel strange, almost everyone can open the attachment even I send mail in
MIME format but why I should use Uuencode to let "the only one" company be
able to open it? Is there any problem with their system(server,
anti-virus...whatever)?

"Michael Santovec" wrote:

> A couple of things to check
>
> 1) Tools (ALT+T), Accounts, Mail, Properties, Advanced.  Make sure that
> Break Apart is unchecked.
>
> 2) Look at the message in the Sent Items folder and view the Message
> Source (Ctrl-F3).  See what type of encoding is used for the PDF file.
>
> If it's quoted-printable (which WLM may choose based on the file
> contents) that can get corrupted in transit by mail server processing,
> anti-virus or anti-spam programs.  Workarounds include zipping the file
> (which means more work for the recipient) or using Uuencode rather than
> MIME (Tools, Options, Send, Plain Text settings).  Note that with HTML
> messages, use must use MIME.
>
> It it's using Uuencode, there are some potential compatibility issues
> with some mail clients.  Got you coming and going.
>
> For some additional information, see:
> Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
> http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm
>

> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "John Tsai" <John Tsai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear All:
> >
> > One of my client told me they can't open my PDF attachment through
> > windows
> > live mail. They also told me this only happens to my mail and they can
> > open
> > attachment properly from other company; and moreover, almost all the
> > recipient can open my attachment but only above mentioned company
> > can't open
> > it. I feel strange whether me or the company may cause this problem?
> >
> > Below is the error message told from the company, that can't open my
> > pdf
> > file as I said:
> >
> > Adobe reader could not open.....pdf because it is either not a
> > supported
> > file type or because the file has been damaged [for example,it was
> > sent as an
> > e-mail attachment and was not correctly decoded].
> >
> > PS: my system is Win7-64bit, I use Acrobat 9 pro, my client use Adobe
> > reader 8
> >
> > What should I do?
> >
> > I'll appreciate if anyone can answer and send me your suggestion
> > directly to
> > my address:
> >
> > epmd0220@ms17.hinet.net
> >
> > Thanks a lot!!!
>

> .

Did you verify that your previous messages had used quoted-printable
encoding for the PDF rather than Base64?

Back in the development of Outlook Express, some programmer realized
that if an attachment is mostly text, quoted-printable encoding will
result in a smaller message than Base64.  And that bad decision has
gotten carried forward into WLM.

Mostly the issue comes up with text attachments.  But I've seen cases
where a simple PDF file with just some text and generally no  images end
up getting quoted-printable encoded rather than Base64.

Quoted-printable was intended for message text and not attachments.
This has resulted in two issues.

1) Some mail programs do not recognize quoted-printable encoding for
attachments.  This is less of an issue now than it was years ago.

2) Some mail servers, anti-virus programs and anti-spam programs feel
that they can reformat or reflow quoted-printable encoded data without
harming the content.  In the case of message text such as HTML, that's
generally true.  In the case of an attachment, that can corrupt the
attachment.

What's likely happening is that either the recipient's mail server, or
anti-virus or anti-spam software installed on either their mail server
or their PC is mucking with the quoted-printable encoding.

If the problem were on your end (your PC or your mail server) all your
recipient's would have a problem.

--

> [...]
>> > recipient can open my attachment but only above mentioned company
>> > can't open
>> > it. I feel strange whether me or the company may cause this
>> > problem?
>> >
>> > Below is the error message told from the company, that can't open
>> > my
>> > pdf
>> > file as I said:
>> >
>> > Adobe reader could not open.....pdf because it is either not a
>> > supported
>> > file type or because the file has been damaged [for example,it was
>> > sent as an
>> > e-mail attachment and was not correctly decoded].
>> >
>> > PS: my system is Win7-64bit, I use Acrobat 9 pro, my client use
>> > Adobe
>> > reader 8
>> >
>> > What should I do?
>> >
>> > I'll appreciate if anyone can answer and send me your suggestion

0
Michael

Deliver new mail to two different .pst files.

Cannot open the DBF created from the SaveAs option of Excel
Hi, I have an Excel sheet with 150 columns and 8 rows of data, when I use the SaveAs option under the File menu of Excel with Type DBF4, it creates the dbf file with no errors. But when I try to open the file from VFP, it indictaes the following error and cannot be opened. "Table 'H:\Book11.dbf' has become corrupted. The table will need to be repaired before using again." But if I reduce the width of the columns in the Excel and then save it as a DBF, it is possible to opend the table even with 150 columns from VFP. The limit in VFP is a max. of 254 fields and max. no....

Soap client
Hello. How could I consume Web services created using c# with soap client written on c++6.0 ? I can't use .net on client app. Thanks in advance. Look for the COM-based SOAP Toolkit on the MSDN download web site [0]. Check out the MSDN Library [1] for some articles on interoperability issues. -- HTH Christoph Schittko [MVP] Software Architect, .NET Mentor [0] http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/001/948/msdncompositedoc.xml [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/library "Ulan" <usametov@hotmail.com> wrote in messa...

ERROR
I'm NOT able to open Outlook XP and received the following message: "unable to open your default e-mail folders. The .DLL file for the information service can not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL. Be sure this is correctly installed and configured." I have tried to REPAIR, or REINSTALL the program with the CD only to have this function freeze (not responding). I have also tried to UNINSTALL with the CD but still get the freeze. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. FYI: I just got this error message also. Could it be ...

Word docs opening in Print Preview
I just upgraded to Office 2003, and now when I open a Word attachment in Outlook it immediately takes me to a Print Preview screen. Is this an Outlook setting I need to change, or a Word setting?? Thanks! --> Chris ...

Installing multiple Sales for Outlook clients
Is it possible to install multiple Sales for Outlook clients via script/msi upon user log on to network, or must all clents be installed MANUALLY? jorgen.b Jorgen Many have trid to figure this out but I have not heard of anyone having any success with automating the install of SFO. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 18 Jan 2005 05:08:49 -0800, "jorgen.b" <lunarleaper@yahoo.com> wrote: Is it possible to install multiple Sales for Outlook clients via script/msi upon user log on to network, or ...

Open Excel files in separate sessions, not just separate windows?
How do I open several Excel files, each in a separate session, not just in separate windows within the same session? For instance, when I open Word files, each one opens with its own separate menus, window frame, etc. Tools>Options>General> Ignore other applications with this selected if you open a file from Excel it will be in the same "instance" of Excel ,however, if you open a file by doubleclicking in the file folder a new "instance" of Excel will open. "Bob at Dexia Design" wrote: > How do I open several Excel files, each in a separate...

HQ Client Server over VPN
In the HQ Client configuration, many of you state that the IP address should be entered for the remote server address in stead of server name. Which IP address is that when you are connecting from a laptop(HQ server) to PC inside the store (HQ client) over VPN? I could be accessing from home or Starbucks and the IP on the laptop changes. Also, since I connect to 2 stores, each store network assigns a different DHCP Ip to the laptop when connected via laptop. ...

shortcut has change or move so this shortcut can not open
I haveMicroscoft office exc 2003, i save my work to a dvd disk .. but now i cant open my file on exel, and now i cant even open it on the dvd disk i saved it too, when i try to open it it says ( problem with shortcut, the item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly , do you want to delete this shortcut ? ) if i try to open it in any way it allways comes back to the same thing, when tou look at in on the disk it says ,977bytes so it must be on there.. so please please can someone tell me can i open it .. urgent urgent...

Block attachment size at Client
hi Is there anyway to limiting user using MS Outlook to attachment document which is more than 5MB? thanks "gbkhor" wrote in message news:OfmjM8pVIHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > > Is there anyway to limiting user using MS Outlook to attachment > document which is more than 5MB? Sure. As the mail admin, you should be able to configure what is the maximum size of your customer's e-mails. gbkhor <gbkhor@time.net.my> wrote: > Is there anyway to limiting user using MS Outlook to attachment > document which is more than 5MB? You may be able to ...

Outlook 2003 not default MAPI client
I can't get Outlook 2003 set as my default MAPI client. I have answered "yes" when Outlook asks me if I want it to be the default email program, and I have set Outlook as the email program in Internet Explorer (under Tools|Internet Options|Programs). But still, when I click on a link in a browser windows such as someone@microsoft.com, up pops Outlook Express asking if I want it to be the default program. How can I set things so that when I click an email link, I get Outlook 2003, not Outlook Express? Many thanks for your help! Check the file associations for URL:MailTo Proto...

Office XP Mail Merge Spacing
I am using Office XP mail merge to send envelops. The merge shows about twenty spaces between the first and last name (about one inch or mare apart). I am using an Excel spread sheet for the source address names. How do I get the first and last name closer together? One way would be to concatenate the First and Last names in Excel. Or perhaps you have spaces after the First name in the Excel file (use Find\Replace to remove) windrider wrote: > I am using Office XP mail merge to send envelops. The merge shows about > twenty spaces between the first and last name (about...

Missing Attachment
This is wild, and I haven't been able to find anything out there relating to this problem. The prerequisities: Exchange 2003 (no sp yet) running on 2000 sp4. When receiving email (obviously) from one company, if they attach a file and send it to multiple people at my business, the last recipient in the list does not get the attachment. It seems to be only from this particular company, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing the attachment to magically disappear from the last persons mailbox. It doesn't matter who the last person is. Any thoughts? Do y...

Outlook Mail Problem
Can anyone help me with an Outlook 97 problem I have been having? My wife gets lots of spam (from signing up for those FREE drawings, contests, etc and suddenly, though my Eudora still works fine with the same ISP settings on my email account, I can't get around the following error message when trying to help get her mail downloaded. I've gone onto our ISP website to see if there is something HUGE there and have found nothing. I'm inclined to think now that it may be a mailbox size or something like that but haven't been able to locate one in her Outlook. We have plenty of m...

How do I set up my outlook to send e-mails through hotmail?
I have a new laptop and I would like to use my outlook 2003 to send e-mails, however, I can't seem to set it up properly to send the e-mails through my hotmail connection. The e-mails just sit in my outbox. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? "Jazi1" <Jazi1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF69FAD9-52CF-4BFE-A9EE-A4BCC59C8F0B@microsoft.com... >I have a new laptop and I would like to use my outlook 2003 to send >e-mails, > however, I can't seem to set it up properly to send the e-mails through my > hotmail connection. The e-m...

Installing RMS SP2 on W2K domain controller & clients
Just wanted to know in advance if this is ok. The RMS SP2 directions are very general re: computers, so I assume it doesnt matter, but our server install of RMS is running on a W2Ksp4 DC, with SQL ServerSP2. Dont want to break anything, so any insights are appreciated. The desktops are either XPsp1A or W2K sp3 /sp4. XPsp2 still is causing others hedaches, and really dont want to deal with it right now, have not installed it yet. Thanks Also, our server install is in a data path E:\PROG FILES\MSFT RMS\ETC, not on the C: partition. Is this an issue? I have read the post below re: 10 st...

Is there a way to attach files to records in Access 2003?
I have a database where I would like to attach files, faxes etc...directly to record. Is there a way to do that in access version 2003? If so, can someone assist me with the macro or expression to do so? I would HIGHLY suggest not storing the files in Access but store the link to the location. Access only holds up to 2Gb of data and embedding documents in the table is a sure way to reach that limit very fast. Also, it isn't that easy to do things such as open them up from there. It is much easier to use, say the FollowHyperlink command to open up the documents from a network l...

Outlook Client: Syncronise other peoples calendars
Hi, Is it possible to let the Outlook client bring in other peoples appointments in CRM. We want all our sales team to see all appointments in Outlook, We this to happen by default rather than having to add attendees each time. -- Thanks in advance Chris ...

Outlook Freeze when try to open message
Hi there, This problem just come up. Whenever I try to open a received message (or read message) Outlook freeze and I have to open task manager and end it. I have try to delete the registry key, resintall outlook. But no help. Please Help ... Thanks Kylie ...

4.0 Client Config error
The Client config returns an error with this in the server log; Exception information: Exception type: HttpParseException Exception message: Could not create type 'Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Crm2007.CrmDiscoveryServiceAD'. Request information: Request URL: http://toshiba2002:5555/MSCRMServices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx Request path: /MSCRMServices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx The web client works OK, and I also get this same error when I try to connect the DMManager. The Server is SBE. Any ideas? -- Thanx Grizz Dear see this http://support.micros...

MSCRM 3.0 Emails Not Sent from Laptop Client.. Works from Web Client
I'm attempting to chase down an issue with e-mail here. For some reason, our users using the Laptop client are experiencing an issue where after sending an e-mail through the E-Mail Activity, the e-mail appears properly in the History window, but the recipients never receive the message. >From the web client, this works without issue. I tested using both clients sending an e-mail activity to myself at both my internal corporate e-mail address and to my Gmail address. Both the e-mails from the web client arrived in their respective inboxes, the 2 sent from the laptop client did not. ...

auto opening spreadsheet
I don't know how I did this, probably pressed the wrong key at the wrong time, but everytime I open excel on it's own or any excel spreadsheet it opens another one (the same one every time). How do I stop this spreadsheet from opening everytime? "Joe" <fake@fake.fake> wrote in message news:ZQXAb.46406$vn.101019@sea-read.news.verio.net... > I don't know how I did this, probably pressed the wrong key at the wrong > time, but everytime I open excel on it's own or any excel spreadsheet it > opens another one (the same one every time). > > How do I...

Mailing Label printing
I have created several mailing labels using SQL Reporting services and am attempting to print them with a Intermec pd-41 label printer. Every time a report is Printed the size settings for the job changes to 1.5w 4h instead of the setting within Windosw of 1.5h 4w. I have changed and saved the settings on the printer in the printer settings via Windows. The end users for this product cannot be bothered to click properties every time they are printing a label. Has anybody else experienced this or know of a way to correct this. Within Visual Studio, look at the report properties w...

Trouble with Multi-Threading (VC++ opening Access DataBase)
Hi all, I have an application which I did not write, but I want to improve it's performance (Obviously I do have the code). First of all I am not a database expert so my terms may not be exact, I appologize :-)) The application starts by reading a lot of data from the database tree via ODBC (MFC + VC++ 6.0). This process takes a few minuets, and I have more than one CPU, so obviously I was thinking of multi-threading. The point is that once I Multi-threaded the code, the program stuck during startup. Looking with a debugger, I saw that all threads are hanging while reading the DataBase....

Mail Enabled Public Folder Error Message
Migrating from Exchange 5.5 to 2003 same Organization. Migrated my mailbox and all works OK. The only issue that I have is when I send a message to a mail enabled public folder. I get... testinbox on 6/29/2005 1:02 PM The message was undeliverable because the recipient specified has changed address permanently and forwarding was not applicable <server.domaincom #5.1.6> I tried moving the public folder to the 2003 server and still get the message. ...