How to change newsgroup message font

Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to
make a change.    This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup
messages?

regards

0
nobody
8/18/2010 4:27:55 PM
windows.live.mail.desktop 2738 articles. 8 followers. Follow

"nobody"  wrote in message news:EWTao.39493$GF5.7129@hurricane...

> Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to make a change.    This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup messages?

Newsgroup messages are usually plain text. The font used is that selected at [no name tab] > Options > Mail > Read > Fonts for the encoding specified for the message. The encoding is likely to be one of Western European or Unicode, but you never know. Set the font you want for all the encodings you're likely to see. I use Arial Unicode MS for everything - then nothing much changes regardless of the encoding used.
--
Noel

0
Ildhund
8/18/2010 6:21:59 PM
Plain text or HTML? Received posts or while composing a post for sending?

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"nobody"  wrote in message news:EWTao.39493$GF5.7129@hurricane...

Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to
make a change.    This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup
messages?

regards

0
Gary
8/18/2010 9:08:43 PM
"Gary VanderMolen"  wrote in message

Plain text or HTML? Received posts or while composing a post for sending?

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"nobody"  wrote in message news:EWTao.39493$GF5.7129@hurricane...

Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to
make a change.    This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup
messages?

regards

Gary,

I did not know that you could send/receive newsgroup messages in HTML?

regards

0
nobody
8/20/2010 1:35:13 PM
"Ildhund"  wrote in message news:#GN#YJwPLHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

"nobody"  wrote in message news:EWTao.39493$GF5.7129@hurricane...

> Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to
> make a change.    This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup
> messages?

Newsgroup messages are usually plain text. The font used is that selected at
[no name tab] > Options > Mail > Read > Fonts for the encoding specified for
the message. The encoding is likely to be one of Western European or
Unicode, but you never know. Set the font you want for all the encodings
you're likely to see. I use Arial Unicode MS for everything - then nothing
much changes regardless of the encoding used.
--
Noel

Noel,

Thanks.   As an aside I do not see Arial Unicode MS

0
nobody
8/20/2010 1:36:37 PM
Hi, nobody.

Because HTML messages are MUCH bigger than plain text, they take a lot
longer to send/receive and take up much more storage space on a disk.  Back
in the last Century, when online time and hard disks were MUCH more
expensive than now, the use of HTML was frowned on.  Newsgroup users who
posted in HTML often got flamed, especially by those using dial-up modems
and paying (a LOT) by the minute of use.

Today, with broadband near-universal and with 1 TB hard disks becoming
common, we don't hear nearly as many complaints about HTML posts in
newsgroups.  But remember, Usenet is a global system.  Many users, around
the world and in plenty of places in the USA, still cannot afford broadband
and are still paying by the minute.  High-speed connections are simply not
available at any price in many locations.

So, when your message requires HTML, you won't get too many complaints
nowadays.  But simply using red ink or fancy stationery - or a cute moving
Sig - to send a mundane text message is unnecessary - and discourteous.  It
adds nothing to the text and often distracts from your message.  And it
still might get you flamed.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"nobody"  wrote in message news:twvbo.67491$GW1.33116@hurricane...

"Gary VanderMolen"  wrote in message

Plain text or HTML? Received posts or while composing a post for sending?

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"nobody"  wrote in message news:EWTao.39493$GF5.7129@hurricane...

Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to
make a change.    This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup
messages?

regards

Gary,

I did not know that you could send/receive newsgroup messages in HTML?

regards

How restore Outlook messages back to Yahoo Server, removed in err
The related question to this msg is: Why, when you are setting up an account in Outlook '07 on Windows 7, not only is the DEFAULT setting to NOT leave a copy of messages on the server, you AREN'T EVEN ASKED WHETHER YOU WANT MESSAGES LEFT ON THE SERVER OR NOT? If I'd been asked I would have known how to answer, but I wasn't. That question is buried in the Advanced tab under More Settings that you do not automatically go to when setting up a new account. I didn't even seen the More Settings button. It may not have even been displayed. Everything setting u...

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

Send.Item message when using mapi emailing
Hi, When using the MAPI profile to send mails via Send.Item Outlook stops and shows the Yes, No message for permission to send. I have checked all IE settings and Outlook but cant turn this off? I know its there somewhere, any help locating and turning off this setting would be fantastic! Kind Regards James See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/sec.htm for your options with regard to the "object model guard" security in Outlook 2000 SP2 and later versions. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, an...

How to change newsgroup message font

10x Conflict Message from Public Folder Store
Hi We have received 5+ duplicate messages (some with attached duplicate messages) in our public folder store. In addition 10 conflict messages sent to the public folder and all active directory users on the network. The source of the original message is legit (one of our printers informing the toner is low). Multiple edits have been made to "Event:BLACK TONER LOW". The conflicting edits have been attached to a conflict message in "Enquiry". I have disabled the printer from sending emails and have sent a test email to the public folder which arrived without problem. Wh...

email stuck in outbox: receiving error message
My emails are stuck in my outbox. They do send to the recepient, but never switch over to my sent box. Go to the 'Tools' menu, then options. In the first / 'Preferences' window that appears (tab shown at the top) click on 'E-mail Options'. Make sure there's a check mark in the box that says 'Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder'. If this is already done, you might want to note the exact text of the error message and do a search in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. >-----Original Message----- >My emails are stuck in my outbox. They do s...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

Can I send messages from access using outlook?
I thought it was possible to link the address book in Outlook to my Access data base. I'm unsure what to do. ...

icon changes with change of extension

Can't install update KB9532957...see below message for particulars
I STILL can't install: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows XP (etc) and Windows Server 2008 R2 ( KB953297 ) More and more system blocks and failures are occuring... PLEASE HELP !!! Many thanks in advance! See the "How to obtain help" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953297 For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support c...

Field Type Change

Sent messages viewed as spam on other domains
I've just set up a Server 2003 environment with Exchange 2003. I'm working on sending and receiving messages using the Outlook Web Access feature. I am able to send and receive messages to other domains, say address@gmail.com or address@yahoo.com. My problem is that my email messages are going into Google and Yahoo's spam folders. How do I prevent my outgoing messages as being viewed as spam? Thanks Hans On 19 Sep 2006 11:55:42 -0700, "hans" <hans.russell@gmail.com> wrote: >I've just set up a Server 2003 environment with Exchange 2003. I'm >wo...

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2