Frozen message in Drafts box

With WLM on Windows 7, I have had 2 instances of a message
in the Drafts box appearing to be frozen.
I could not set the cursor into the existing type to edit.
All I could do was highlight the type.
Any ideas as to what might have caused this
and how to get out of the situation would be welcome.

In a related question, I have often gone back to a message in the Drafts box
the original of which contained emoticons (smileys) and found the draft
only contained placeholders (albeit with full description),
but not the actual emoticons.

How do I recover from this, without having to reinstall the emoticons
I originally selected ?
donwb

0
donwb

You can't edit a draft in the Reading pane.  You must double click the
message in the list of messages for the drafts folder so that it reopens
in a message composition window.  From there, the message is in the same
status as when you saved it to the drafts.

If by chance you moved a message from another folder such as inbox or
sent items into the drafts folder, that doesn't let you edit such a
message.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> With WLM on Windows 7, I have had 2 instances of a message
> in the Drafts box appearing to be frozen.
> I could not set the cursor into the existing type to edit.
> All I could do was highlight the type.
> Any ideas as to what might have caused this
> and how to get out of the situation would be welcome.
>
> In a related question, I have often gone back to a message in the
> Drafts box
> the original of which contained emoticons (smileys) and found the
> draft
> only contained placeholders (albeit with full description),
> but not the actual emoticons.
>
> How do I recover from this, without having to reinstall the emoticons
> I originally selected ?
> donwb

0
Michael
12/12/2009 7:31:34 PM
If you send that draft with the smileys to yourself, do they display
correctly?  Hyperlinks don't appear as "clickable" either until you send the
mail.  They are then active in the received email.  Thought this might be
the same case with your smileys.

"Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> You can't edit a draft in the Reading pane.  You must double click the
> message in the list of messages for the drafts folder so that it reopens
> in a message composition window.  From there, the message is in the same
> status as when you saved it to the drafts.
>
> If by chance you moved a message from another folder such as inbox or sent
> items into the drafts folder, that doesn't let you edit such a message.
>
> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> With WLM on Windows 7, I have had 2 instances of a message
>> in the Drafts box appearing to be frozen.
>> I could not set the cursor into the existing type to edit.
>> All I could do was highlight the type.
>> Any ideas as to what might have caused this
>> and how to get out of the situation would be welcome.
>>
>> In a related question, I have often gone back to a message in the Drafts
>> box
>> the original of which contained emoticons (smileys) and found the draft
>> only contained placeholders (albeit with full description),
>> but not the actual emoticons.
>>
>> How do I recover from this, without having to reinstall the emoticons
>> I originally selected ?
>> donwb

0
slk759
12/12/2009 7:44:06 PM
Thanks Michael for the response.
Yes, I did double click on the message to bring up the composition window,
but still it was froze.
I take your point about not being able to edit a message in drafts
which has been moved from from say the Inbox, but
what about a message in the Inbox on which I click Reply,
type a response, then Save to the Drafts box?
Would you expect this to be editable in the composition window on a revisit?
donwb

"Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> You can't edit a draft in the Reading pane.  You must double click the
> message in the list of messages for the drafts folder so that it reopens
> in a message composition window.  From there, the message is in the same
> status as when you saved it to the drafts.
>
> If by chance you moved a message from another folder such as inbox or sent
> items into the drafts folder, that doesn't let you edit such a message.
>
> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> With WLM on Windows 7, I have had 2 instances of a message
>> in the Drafts box appearing to be frozen.
>> I could not set the cursor into the existing type to edit.
>> All I could do was highlight the type.
>> Any ideas as to what might have caused this
>> and how to get out of the situation would be welcome.
>>
>> In a related question, I have often gone back to a message in the Drafts
>> box
>> the original of which contained emoticons (smileys) and found the draft
>> only contained placeholders (albeit with full description),
>> but not the actual emoticons.
>>
>> How do I recover from this, without having to reinstall the emoticons
>> I originally selected ?
>> donwb

0
donwb
12/12/2009 11:55:41 PM
Hi slk759
Yes they do display OK.
It's when I save a message with Smileys to the Drafts box
that they only appear there as placeholders.
These placeholders are selectable and resizeable and
contain a description or identification of the original Smiley,
but not the Smiley itself. There must be a way to replace the
placeholder and reinstate the Smiley proper,
but the only way I've found to do it is re-enter the Smiley anew,
then delete the placeholder.
donwb

"slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> If you send that draft with the smileys to yourself, do they display
> correctly?  Hyperlinks don't appear as "clickable" either until you send
> the mail.  They are then active in the received email.  Thought this might
> be the same case with your smileys.
>

> "Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> You can't edit a draft in the Reading pane.  You must double click the
>> message in the list of messages for the drafts folder so that it reopens
>> in a message composition window.  From there, the message is in the same
>> status as when you saved it to the drafts.
>>
>> If by chance you moved a message from another folder such as inbox or
>> sent items into the drafts folder, that doesn't let you edit such a
>> message.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>>

>> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> With WLM on Windows 7, I have had 2 instances of a message
>>> in the Drafts box appearing to be frozen.
>>> I could not set the cursor into the existing type to edit.
>>> All I could do was highlight the type.
>>> Any ideas as to what might have caused this
>>> and how to get out of the situation would be welcome.
>>>
>>> In a related question, I have often gone back to a message in the Drafts
>>> box
>>> the original of which contained emoticons (smileys) and found the draft
>>> only contained placeholders (albeit with full description),
>>> but not the actual emoticons.
>>>
>>> How do I recover from this, without having to reinstall the emoticons
>>> I originally selected ?
>>> donwb

0
donwb
12/13/2009 12:02:51 AM
If you just leave "the placeholder" in the Draft, and then send that draft
to yourself, are the smileys there - or do you still see the placeholder
data?  Mine are there as actual smileys, in drafts and sent.  If they send
as smileys (not placeholders) I wouldn't worry about it . . . . .

> Hi slk759
> Yes they do display OK.
> It's when I save a message with Smileys to the Drafts box
> that they only appear there as placeholders.
> These placeholders are selectable and resizeable and
> contain a description or identification of the original Smiley,
> but not the Smiley itself. There must be a way to replace the
> placeholder and reinstate the Smiley proper,
> but the only way I've found to do it is re-enter the Smiley anew,
> then delete the placeholder.
> donwb
>
> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> If you send that draft with the smileys to yourself, do they display
>> correctly?  Hyperlinks don't appear as "clickable" either until you send
>> the mail.  They are then active in the received email.  Thought this
>> might be the same case with your smileys.
>>

>> "Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>> You can't edit a draft in the Reading pane.  You must double click the
>>> message in the list of messages for the drafts folder so that it reopens
>>> in a message composition window.  From there, the message is in the same
>>> status as when you saved it to the drafts.
>>>
>>> If by chance you moved a message from another folder such as inbox or
>>> sent items into the drafts folder, that doesn't let you edit such a
>>> message.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>>>

>>> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

0
slk759
12/13/2009 12:45:14 AM
Saving a reply in progress is fine.  Some people have tried copying a
sent message to the Drafts expecting to be able to then edit it.  I
wanted to make sure that wasn't the case for you.

The normal procedure is to start a new message or reply or forward, then
while in the message composition window to do a File, Save (not Save AS
which goes to an EML file) or to close the message and reply Yes when
asked if you want to save it.  From there you double click the message
in the drafts folder and it should reopen in a message composition
windows from where you can further edit it if desired and either save it
again or send it.

--

> Thanks Michael for the response.
> Yes, I did double click on the message to bring up the composition
> window,
> but still it was froze.
> I take your point about not being able to edit a message in drafts
> which has been moved from from say the Inbox, but
> what about a message in the Inbox on which I click Reply,
> type a response, then Save to the Drafts box?
> Would you expect this to be editable in the composition window on a
> revisit?
> donwb
>

> "Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> You can't edit a draft in the Reading pane.  You must double click
>> the message in the list of messages for the drafts folder so that it
>> reopens in a message composition window.  From there, the message is
>> in the same status as when you saved it to the drafts.
>>
>> If by chance you moved a message from another folder such as inbox or
>> sent items into the drafts folder, that doesn't let you edit such a
>> message.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>>

>> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> With WLM on Windows 7, I have had 2 instances of a message
>>> in the Drafts box appearing to be frozen.
>>> I could not set the cursor into the existing type to edit.
>>> All I could do was highlight the type.
>>> Any ideas as to what might have caused this
>>> and how to get out of the situation would be welcome.
>>>
>>> In a related question, I have often gone back to a message in the
>>> Drafts box
>>> the original of which contained emoticons (smileys) and found the
>>> draft
>>> only contained placeholders (albeit with full description),
>>> but not the actual emoticons.
>>>
>>> How do I recover from this, without having to reinstall the
>>> emoticons
>>> I originally selected ?
>>> donwb

0
Michael
12/13/2009 9:27:09 PM
Hi slk759
Yes, Smileys appear, not placeholders, so I suppose all's well.
Thanks for your help.

> If you just leave "the placeholder" in the Draft, and then send that draft
> to yourself, are the smileys there - or do you still see the placeholder
> data?  Mine are there as actual smileys, in drafts and sent.  If they send
> as smileys (not placeholders) I wouldn't worry about it . . . . .
>

> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi slk759
>> Yes they do display OK.
>> It's when I save a message with Smileys to the Drafts box
>> that they only appear there as placeholders.
>> These placeholders are selectable and resizeable and
>> contain a description or identification of the original Smiley,
>> but not the Smiley itself. There must be a way to replace the
>> placeholder and reinstate the Smiley proper,
>> but the only way I've found to do it is re-enter the Smiley anew,
>> then delete the placeholder.
>> donwb
>>
>> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> If you send that draft with the smileys to yourself, do they display
>>> correctly?  Hyperlinks don't appear as "clickable" either until you send
>>> the mail.  They are then active in the received email.  Thought this
>>> might be the same case with your smileys.
>>>

>>> "Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message

0
donwb
12/14/2009 10:42:15 PM
Hi Michael
Yes that does work ok.
Thanks for the input.
donwb

> Saving a reply in progress is fine.  Some people have tried copying a sent
> message to the Drafts expecting to be able to then edit it.  I wanted to
> make sure that wasn't the case for you.
>
> The normal procedure is to start a new message or reply or forward, then
> while in the message composition window to do a File, Save (not Save AS
> which goes to an EML file) or to close the message and reply Yes when
> asked if you want to save it.  From there you double click the message in
> the drafts folder and it should reopen in a message composition windows
> from where you can further edit it if desired and either save it again or
> send it.
>
> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Thanks Michael for the response.
>> Yes, I did double click on the message to bring up the composition
>> window,
>> but still it was froze.
>> I take your point about not being able to edit a message in drafts
>> which has been moved from from say the Inbox, but
>> what about a message in the Inbox on which I click Reply,
>> type a response, then Save to the Drafts box?
>> Would you expect this to be editable in the composition window on a
>> revisit?
>> donwb
>>

>> "Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>> You can't edit a draft in the Reading pane.  You must double click the
>>> message in the list of messages for the drafts folder so that it reopens
>>> in a message composition window.  From there, the message is in the same
>>> status as when you saved it to the drafts.
>>>
>>> If by chance you moved a message from another folder such as inbox or
>>> sent items into the drafts folder, that doesn't let you edit such a
>>> message.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>>>

>>> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

0
donwb

Fixing the Compiler Warning Message C4146:
o:\cpp\days\day15\debug\msado15.tlh(409) : warning C4146: unary minus operator applied to unsigned type, result still unsigned I compiled some example code from a textbook. This warning message is from a compiler generated file so I can't fix it. What is causing the problem, do I need a different version of ADO, do I need another compiler patch? On Sep 3, 9:01 am, "Peter Olcott" <NoS...@SeeScreen.com> wrote: > o:\cpp\days\day15\debug\msado15.tlh(409) : warning C4146: > unary minus operator applied to unsigned type, result still > unsigned > > I comp...

Message queues
Hello, My question applies both to windows messages as well as thread messages, as I'm guessing the answer may differ for each of them. My application posts a number of messages at a fixed interval (say, every 2 minutes), but the number of messages posted when the timer goes off varies depending on how many objects I have listed in my database (could be 1, could be 1000). If there are messages from the previous posting period still in the queue for a given object, however, I do not need to post a new message for that object--I just don't know how to check for that. So I was wonderin...

message encoding and view encoding menu
i receive this email without message encoding information in the header so the outlook 2000 displays gabage characters. i tried to install the language using office language tools and according to the document i should just go to view->encoding menu and select the right language then I can view it. However the encoding menu item isn't there. i appraiciate your help. please also reply to my email address. Thanks! What version of Outlook and what does the internet header show? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due t...

Special Paste Dialogue Box
I use the Special Paste options frequently. Is there a simiple way to open that dialogue box? Such as a hotkey combination or a way to add it to the right-click (mouse) menu? It is a pain to always have to mouse click "Edit" then "Special Paste..." Thanks, Martin It's on my "right click" menu! -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Martin" <m...

strange identity message
I keep getting the following: "another application has the switch identities or identity logon showing. Choose an identity in that dialog before launching this application again." Any ideas? ...

Unread message folder #2
Thanks! I got the unread message folder back. However, the unread messages are not going into the folder. How do I get the unread messages to flow to that folder? (like they did before) Thanks Again! capsrv <capsrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Thanks! I got the unread message folder back. However, the unread > messages are not going into the folder. How do I get the unread > messages to flow to that folder? (like they did before) Then the Search Folder and your unread messages may be in separate messages stores. Is the Inbox in the same message store (PST or...

Interface not registered message in MS Outlook
Using Microsoft Word to Edit e-Mail Messages in Outlook 2002 XP. When click "send" I get message window Microsoft Word "interface not registered" Not a new install, just started happening. Tried Uninstall and then Install but did'nt help. Same problem exists. Hello I spent a multitude of hours today trying to solve the following problems with Office 1) Could not print from Outlook - always got a script error on line 134 2) Could not use Send To from Word or Excel and send the documents in Emai 3) Could not use Word as the default Email edito The usual error was "...

New Messages #2
How do I stop Outlook Express from checking new messages every 5 minutes? dci <bishopdiisomjr@aol.com> wrote: > How do I stop Outlook Express from checking new messages > every 5 minutes? Tools>Options This is a newsgroup for Outlook, not Outlook Express questions. -- Brian Tillman ...

rules in 2k3
Dear Group, I apologize if this has been asked lately, but due to its specificity, it probably hasnt. I use vonage for my business, and I have email attachment notification turned on, which is extremely useful because it makes the message an audio file and sends it as an attachment. I want to be able to be notified on my cell phone when someone leaves a message though. The problem is that my cell phone cant receive emails with attachments. Since vonage already sends me an email, I want to be able to forward a notification to my cell phone via my cell email address. What I would like t...

Frozen rows
I have created a workbook that has three frozen rows at the top of the page. Is there a way to start numbering the rows below those 3 first. I.E. XDate XJim Glass huts XSales record ---------- 1 2 3 For appearance sake.............................. You can enter =ROW(-3) in A4 then copy down. Then uncheck Tools>Options>View>Row and Column Headers. BUT for the sake of formulas, A4 is still A4 no matter that it says 1. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:20:00 -0800, Old_skills_lost <Oldskillslost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have created a work...

How can I display a message when opening an Excel File?
I would like to have a disclaimer message pop up when someone opens one of my spreadsheets. Is that possible? If so, how? Private Sub Workbook_Open() 'your code here End Sub 'This is workbook event code. 'To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet '(or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks), 'select View Code from the menu, and paste the code -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "PeterM" <PeterM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DEE7773D-A5F2-4AC6-BF32-9607D2...

Messaging #2
Hi, I am getting used to this messaging. I have been doing processing in the Dialog, which I have found to be a bad idea. I am changing things around a bit. I don't know if I am doing messaging correctly, or if there is a better way. // In Some Dialog, if I want to send a message to a View to do some processing, // I post a Message to the MainFrame. void SomePage::OnBtnDoSomething() { GetTopLevelFrame()->PostMessage(MSG_CMAINFRAME, MSG_CSOMEVIEW, ID_DOSOMETHING); } // Currently, in the Main Frame, I have a generic Message Handler // That relays the messages to the Children by &...

Error Message Required
Hi Product Team, when a user with no role or with a role which has access just to the settings area is trying to load the outlook client, outlook hangs. I believe there should be an error message stating that the user has no required persmissions to access rather than crashing the outlook. also the role which has jsut access to the system settings was customized from an existing role - but still it fails to load. Is this a bug or a feature missing? -- Kamala Ramesh Dynamics CRM Consultant ...

Outlook 2002 "Not responding" while creating a new message
I have MSOffice xp on MS xp Home version. I am having Outlook 2002 go into the "Not responding". When I go to Crash Analysis It states/suggests that I update. When I check updates there are none because I am up to date already. I am on a POP3 dial up account with a.net ISP popping my mail to Outlook 2002 from a mail.xxxx.com which is supported by a mail hosting company. I would like to add that the .net is still active when this occurs. When it occurs I am in Outlook opening various folders, some with attachments for reference while creating/composing a new message. I am w...

How to change the default view of an e-mail message to "web layout" when I reply to messages? The default view is Normal now. The text uses left one third of the screen only.
Hello How to change the default view of an e-mail message to "web layout" when I reply to messages? The default view is Normal now. The text uses left one third of the screen only. ...

Frozen Panes and Visible Graphs...Marti
Thanks for reading. I use Excel 2003 up-to-date. I have a spreadsheet with headers in the first 4 rows, dates in column A, and data starting in B5 - S5 across and down to row 297. I have frozen the pane at B5 so I can see the headers and dates. Columns A-S take up about 2/3 of my screen across. I'd like to put some summary data and graphs in the remaining 1/3, but have them visible on the screen no matter where I am in the rows, from 5 to 297 - does that make sense? So, can I, for example, put the graphs and summary data in U7 - X20 and have it "magically" in U100 - U 114 ...

Error message 0x80042109
I am getting an error message "0x80042109 'Sending and Receiving' reported error - unable to connect to outgoing SMTP email server." According to MS documentation this error message is due to using Outlook 2002 with MSN. This computer is using a local cable service, not MSN. The user of this computer says that about the time this problem started (week and a half ago) he updated his McAffee virus files, but he's pretty sure he did this after he started having the email problems. He was able to receive mail but not send it. He also said that the email he was ...

error message in Sales Txn Entry
I've been getting the following error messages when I try to do transaction in Sales Transaction Entry (Transaction > Sales > Sales Transaction Entry. It happens after I enter document no and customer Id. "An open operation on table 'ME_RM_EFT_MSTR' failed accessing SQL data" Any help would be greatly appreciated It appears that EFT for Receivables has been installed but not initialized in the company. Add a shortcut to the EFT for Receivables Install applet to the shortcut bar and, logged in as 'sa', run the install. Amanda wrote: > I've b...

frozen transactions
MS Money 2004 Windows XP with SP2 I have two transactions (disbursements) that show up in italics in the journal listing and can not be edited or deleted. The originated at Electronic Payments (Epays) that were saved as drafts because my bank was down. When I later went back and tried to submit the payments I got an error message. I deleted the payments from the page where you submit the payments but they did not go away from the journal listing. The little envelope indicating that they are electron pays did go away. Further the date has passed and the payments were not made elect...

Frozen message in Drafts box
With WLM on Windows 7, I have had 2 instances of a message in the Drafts box appearing to be frozen. I could not set the cursor into the existing type to edit. All I could do was highlight the type. Any ideas as to what might have caused this and how to get out of the situation would be welcome. In a related question, I have often gone back to a message in the Drafts box the original of which contained emoticons (smileys) and found the draft only contained placeholders (albeit with full description), but not the actual emoticons. How do I recover from this, without having to rein...

Confirm Assignment Dialog Box
In 4.0 when accepting a Case the 'Confirm Assignment' dialog box appears. The focus is on the 'Help' button - has anyone come up with a way to change the focus to be on the 'OK' button, or better yet, skip the opening of the dialog box completely? Trying to avoid forcing the user to perform the unnecessary confirmation step / keystrokes / mouse clicks. Even if they didn't mean to accept the Case, they can easily reassign it . . . would like to eliminate the extra verification step since 99.9% of the time it is redundant. Thanks. -- John Clifton ...

Tracing the infected clients by using message tracking log...
Hi, I'm analizing the message tracking log files from Exchange 2000, looking for who is sending MyDoom messages inside my organization. I've installed an Exchange Antivirus so we are no spreading the virus, but I want to cut the clients that are sending it. I've noted some suspicious entries in the log. The field 3 (Client IP) in the log states that it is a NATed addres of my domain (our Exchange server is outside our firewall). SO it means the connection come from inside. But the field 4 (Client hostname) contains fully qualified DNS names that are from other domains not related ...

combo box and text box
Hi, All: I have a form, it contains a combo box it displays three columns, a Table/query was used as a row source, it has two text boxes contain coulmn(1) and column(2) values of combo box, separately. However,I encountered a difficulty that the column values of a combo box would only show the first listing row values, it won't dynamically changed as I click on the rest of other rows? What a trivial mistake I had? please help! Thanks. I usually force the txt boxes to have column values in two places, - Identical code. On Current event for the form After Change event for the combo box...

Frozen Message
We have a mesage that is frozen in our outbox and clogging our outlook. When we try to delete it we get an error message that the file cant be opened because it is already MAPI spooled. What do we do? If on a LAN line, configure Outlook to a manual connection, disconnect the network cable, restart the computer. Open Outlook, delete the message, reconfigure Outlook to LAN connection, exit Outlook, plug the network cable back in and restart the computer. If on a dial-up configure Outlook to a manual connection, close and reopen Outlook, delete the message, reconfigure Outlook back to send/...

eConnect Messages Lying Idle In Queue
Hi, I am using eConnect 7.5 and MSMQ to insert transactions to Microsoft GPS 7.5. Ideally when the MSMQ messages are sent to econnect_incoming75 queue, they should be processed by MBS eConnect Incoming Service rightaway. However when i am using this technique to insert transactions, the messages just sit in econnect_incoming75 queue and are not processed by MBS service altogether. Interestingly, i am not facing this problem on my machine which is WinXP Pro. This problem occurs on Windows 2000 Terminal machine which is our QA environment. Can somebody tell me what exactly is the problem ...