Can't import OE Messages 01-06-10

Previously used OE6 in Win XP, now have new PC with Win 7.  I have copied
all of my old OE 6 messages from my external HD to a folder in my Win 7 My
Documents. Have checked that they are not "Read only".  I try to import into
Live Mail using File - Import - Messages... choosing MS OE6 format and
browsing to appropriate folder but when I click Next the message "No
messages can be found in this folder...." etc appears.
I'd be grateful for any advice on what is going wrong or if there's a
workaround.

0
Roger

"Roger K" <roger.kNOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Previously used OE6 in Win XP, now have new PC with Win 7.  I have copied
> all of my old OE 6 messages from my external HD to a folder in my Win 7 My
> Documents. Have checked that they are not "Read only".  I try to import
> into Live Mail using File - Import - Messages... choosing MS OE6 format
> and browsing to appropriate folder but when I click Next the message "No
> messages can be found in this folder...." etc appears.
> I'd be grateful for any advice on what is going wrong or if there's a
> workaround.

That's usually because you omitted to copy the file called Folders.dbx.
Without that file WLM won't see the folder as an OE message store.

0
Gordon
1/6/2010 7:12:57 PM
That's interesting - Folders.dbx isn't among the backed-up OE files on my
external HD.  Tomorrow I'll fire up the old PC and see if it's there in the
message folder (or anywhere else).

Thanks for the info.

0
Roger
1/6/2010 8:54:11 PM
It will be there.

For messages:

Copy the *ENTIRE* OE message store folder to flash or CD. (Folders.dbx
must be included). Place this on the Desktop or other location on the
machine using WLMail. Open WLMail and: File | Import | Messages |
Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and point to where you saved it.

For Addresses:

Open the Address Book in OE and File | Export | Address Book (wab) and
save it to the Desktop. Copy to flash or CD. Place this on the Desktop or
other location on the machine using WLMail.

Open the Contacts list in WLMail, (Go | Contacts on the Menu Bar), and
File | Import | Windows Address Book (wab) and point to where you saved
it.
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP [Mail]

> That's interesting - Folders.dbx isn't among the backed-up OE files on
> my external HD.  Tomorrow I'll fire up the old PC and see if it's there
> in the message folder (or anywhere else).
>
> Thanks for the info.

0
Bruce
1/6/2010 9:03:57 PM
OK thanks Bruce I'll try that.
0
Roger
1/6/2010 9:54:19 PM
Fyi..
If you have groups in OE(distribution list of multiple people)...the wab(address book) import is the only method to import those
groups(Categories in WLM) into WLM.  Barring any errors or data import issues the groups should import,  if not, categories must be
recreated manually in WLM.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"Roger K" <roger.kNOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:CE71n.3870$6c5.3060@newsfe30.ams2...
> OK thanks Bruce I'll try that.

0
winston
1/7/2010 8:12:02 AM
Success! As was suggested the problem was that my backup utility (OE Plug-In
for Handy Backup) had not included Folders.dbx.  All now looks good.
Thanks for the help.
Roger

0
Roger
1/7/2010 10:09:28 AM
You're welcome. Glad you got the messages back.
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP [Mail]

> Success! As was suggested the problem was that my backup utility (OE
> Plug-In for Handy Backup) had not included Folders.dbx.  All now looks
> good.
> Thanks for the help.
> Roger

0
Bruce

Importing data

Disable attachment message
We are using Outlook 2003 and users complain of having to be prompted to open attachments it says: You should only open attachments from a trustworthy source. The option to Always ask before opening this type of file is greyed out. My question is where is this controlled from I have looked at the Outlook security settings and nothing seems to allow me to give the user a choice. Is this controlled by a group policy could not find it there either ? TIA Darryl You didn't dig deep enough. Security tab, Change auto download settings button, uncheck Don't d/l HTML...etc. Leave W...

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Outlook 2003
We have a small office of just six users who are all on Office 2003. When the Message settings on a message are set to an Importance of Low or High, the recipient gets the message with a Normal Importance. The same thing is happening with the sensitivity settings. However, when using my personal laptop, these settings work on both sending and receiving, using the same network connection as the machines in the office. Any ideas? ...

Welcome Message
Hi, I have a user who receives the Outlook Welcome Message everytime they open Outlook. How can i stop the message from appearing? Thanks, Jen see below: From: Outlook 2003 Team [mailto:olteam@Microsoft.com] Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:32 PM To: New Outlook User Subject: Welcome to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Thank you for using Microsoft� Office Outlook� 2003! This version of Outlook includes new capabilities designed to help you access, prioritize, and act on communications and information so that you may use your time more efficiently and more easily manage the ever-incre...

excel 97 xml import

intall OE
can I install the new version off outlook express without installing the new version of internet explorer (old version is IE4.0 and can't be updated) No. (If you are running Windows 95, the latest version of IE/OE you can install is 5.5 sp2) <m.vdh@belgacom.net> wrote in message news:080801c34cfe$4e57ffe0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > can I install the new version off outlook express without > installing the new version of internet explorer (old > version is IE4.0 and can't be updated) ...

Importing Dynamic data

Download OE 6
I am running Win 98 and O E 5. There is a problem with O E 5 which I cannot fix so I am trying to download 0 E 6. Once the download is compltete I get a message Q174360 so I am unable to open the file. I also get a message saying that another version is pending so I need to reboot but after reboot I still do not have O E 6. What can I do. Les wrote: > I am running Win 98 and O E 5. > There is a problem with O E 5 which I cannot fix so I am > trying to download 0 E 6. > > Once the download is compltete I get a message Q174360 so > I am unable to open the file. > >...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing a CSV file

I Open email, hit Reply and it sends several emails with no message.
Hello, I open my email, hit Reply and before I can write anything it sends the email out with no message. Usually this happens twice and the third time it will wait until I write the message and click Send. I'm sure it's annoying to the person receiving this. Can you tell me how to fix this? Thanks!!! -- tms Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com Are you hitting Alt-S ? That will send the email. Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 http://download.live.com/wlmail "tms" wrote in message news:tms.4e5n4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com... ...

About 6 messages stuck in one of our outgoing smtp queues
I hope you can help me. I'm troubleshooting an issue currently with only two users with emails that are stuck in one of our outbound smtp queues. They've been stuck in there all day and I've tried forcing the connection and also unfreezing the email to no avail. I've manually connected to the smtp connectors that we have defined and am able to send emails directly from the telnet session from the server. I've also sent one of the users an email from the destination and had her reply which she did and I received it. I have double checked the mx records...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Can I group by year or month(when message received)in my inbox?
I need to group my received mails by date and then by sender. Can I do this by year or month, or I can only do this with the exact date+time. Thanks in advance! Regards! Balint You could add a formular field that displays the year of the ReceivedDate property, but you can't group or sort by such a field. The only way is to add a custom field and fill it by using VBA code. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Category Manager - Manage and share your categories: SAM - The Sending Account Manager: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?lang=en> ...

I get an error message "Your current security settings do not allo
I have been having this problem for several weeks now and I have not been able to get money to load properly. I have submitted this issue to MS several times and they have not responded. I get an error message "Your current security settings do not allow this file... I have tried to disable and re-install money and I still was unable to get it to work. Try resetting your Internet Explorer file settings. When you say you submitted the issue, did you raise a problem report and thus have a tracking number? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http:...

importing email

Turning off the threaded message display in Outlook Express?
How can I force Outlook Express 6 to display incoming messages sorted by the date instead of displaying message threads sorted by the date of the first message in the thread? About two days ago my Outlook Express started displaying messages in the e-mail folders in threads although I never asked for it. I would not like to miss any message by letting Outlook Express bury it among the older stuff. Fortunately, the messages are mostly stored in IMAP4 folders, so if I would be unable to force Outlook Express 6 work normally, it would be easy to switch to Mozilla Mail. "totojepast" &l...

import pdf table

Tracking Messages
I have a user who is sending messages to an external recipient but they are not getting there. How do I determine why is not getting there. They said that there is nothing wrong on there end. We can send to them using external accounts but not from our domain. I am running exchange 2003 SP2 any NDR involved? it would help to see the full/exact text of that... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B77C4AAA-9048-4DD6-9CCD-CE61C085806F@microsoft.com... > I have a user who is sending messages to an external recipient ...