Associate A File

Could someone tell me the steps to Associate a file (.pps) so I can open it
in windows live mail.
Thank You

0
Jack
9/12/2010 3:46:25 AM
windows.live.mail.desktop 2738 articles. 6 followers. Follow

Assuming you have PowerPoint or PowerPoint Viewer installed:

  1.     Download and save the attachment on the desktop.
  2.     Right click on the saved file.
  3.     Select: Open With from the pop-up menu.
  4.     Click: Choose [default] Program.
  5.     Select: PowerPoint or the PPViewer.
  6.     Check: Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.
  7.     Click OK.

If it still does not open directly from WLMail:

Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Windows Mail or Windows Live
Mail
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/unable-to-open-pps-ppt-from-windows-mail-or-wlm/

--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

"Jack" <Audioman1@myway.com> wrote in message
> Could someone tell me the steps to Associate a file (.pps) so I can open
> it in windows live mail.
> Thank You

0
Bruce
9/12/2010 3:52:43 AM
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:46:25 -0400, "Jack" <Audioman1@myway.com>
wrote:

>Could someone tell me the steps to Associate a file (.pps) so I can open it
>in windows live mail.
>Thank You

This really has nothing to do with Windows Live, it's a function of
the operating system.

Google

associate a file type with a program <operating system>, ie

associate a file type with a program windows xp
Evan

Moving Outlook to another PC, and moving data files to another location
Outlook 2003/SP2, XP Pro/SP2. I've copied my Outlook installation to a second computer using Microsoft Files & Settings Transfer Wizard. Aside from losing account passwords along the way (intentionally I guess) it all seemed to work, surprisingly. Then, with Outlook closed down, I've manually moved the data files (I prefer to keep them on a separate drive as part of my disaster recovery system / backup regime), and pointed Outlook at the new location when prompted. So far as I know this is the recommended method for relocating data files. Outlook is working fine in its'...

corrupt file
I made changes to an 07 project file. I saved it in 03. When I went to X out it asked to save it again. I saved again. Then when I went to X out it asked me again. I just got out w/o saving. I had saved the file fairly recently. Now when I am trying to open the file it says corrupt content and wont' open. Is there anything I can do? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01CADE4C.B8604C80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Penny, Welcome to this Microsoft Pr...

Need to copy chart of excel to powerpoint file without the other s
Hello, I have excel file. in the excel there is three sheets: test1, test2 and test3. in the test1 sheet I have chart with parameters. when I copy the chart and the parameters in the sheet 'test1' to powerpoint (with past special) and choose the 'microsoft excel chart object' it past the chart to powerpoint and I can change the parameters inside but the problem is that it also copy the other two sheets: test2 and test3. I want when I copy the excel chart to powerpoint that it will copy only the test1 sheet (without the test2 and test3 sheets), because this is what I marke...

Set Association
When I receive an e-mail with an attachment I get the message 'Set Association' in the control panel. I have searched and cannot find this. Is it maybe because I have Vista and the attachment is in Word? -- Kind regards Anna and Peter La Passiflore B&B 0033 475 931276 This newsgroup is for discussions about Microsoft Access, a relational database program. It sounds as if this question is related either to Vista or to your e-mail program. In any case another newsgroup would be a better source of information. By the way, when posting to any public newsgroup it is best to...

Identifying ANSI or Unicode PST File
Hi, I need to identify greater than 1.5 GB PST files in Bulk whether they are ANSI or Unicode File Format. Is there any programmatic way of achieving the same? Using WMI or MAPI may be possible but I am not sure. If some one can help it would be great. Thanks, Gai ...

Sharing violation on a file just closed
Any idea why I would get a sharing violation upon opening a file with CFile::Open on a file which was just closed without error using fclose ?? Close file code: if ( fclose ( f ) ) AfxMessageBox ( "Error on fclose of log file" ); Open code: if ( FILEIN.Open ( XFER_FILENAME_LOCAL, CFile::modeRead, &inException ) ) { // normal processing } else { inException.ReportError (); } Where the ReportError above displays: A sharing violation occurred while accessing C:\Program File\CB_Software\Program\CB_grabber.log Thanks. - Dave Can't diagnose with the info prov...

Help
Hi- I am trying to use the "save as" command to save my Publisher 2002 file as an image file (I've tried jpg, tif, gif and bmp) which will be acceptable to an advertisement firm. Unfortunately, they cannot accept MS Publisher files, so I must save it as an image. I have two problems/questions that may actually be the same underlying problem.The first is that when I save the file as one of the image files above, it heavily distorts/blurs some of the fonts to the point that it is unusable. Curiously, in some places the fonts convert fine whereas in other parts of the document the ...

associating AD user accounts with Mailbox in 2003
Hello, This may be a very specific question, but someone may have had this issue before. I am using aelita to migrate from 5.5. For one particular user account aelita could not associate the user account with the mailbox, so it automatically made a new AD account specifically for the mailbox. This points back to the users original and correct AD user account. I need to change the association of this so i can add mailbox features under the original AD user account. And then i can import the old mailbox into the correct spot, and therefore OWA may then also work. How can i remove the associ...

File associations for PP Viewer 2007
I helped a friend setup her new Windows 7 HP desktop unit. It came with the 60 day trial suite of MS Office 2007 and PowerPoint 2007 Viewer preinstalled. I uninstalled the trialware package and it left the PP Viewer as an orphan. Is there any way to re-register all of the applicable file types other than using the "Open with" routine? Here's what I've tried so far: 1. Ran the /regserver parameter 2. Uninstalled then reinstalled the PP Viewer 3. Reinstalled the File Compatibility fix No joy for any of the above. The only files it will open at present ar...

"Excel Cannot Open This File: Damaged or Modified"
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have been working on an Excel spreadsheet all day, saving frequently. I last saved and closed the file at 3:25 pm, and then went to re-open it at 3:30 pm, when I received this error message: &quot;Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format.&quot; <br><br>I saved the file as .xlsx, and there would be no reason for it to be &quot;damaged&quot; or &quot;modified.&quot; I have tried several solutions recommended on help f...

Default File Locations
I have set the File Locations in Publisher to a mapped drive on a server (U:\). This is incorporated into a profile on a W3K server. When the users log on the default drive mapping reverts back to My Documents. Why does this happen ? All other Office programs (Word,Excel etc) default ok but not Publisher. If I log on as the origanal user, the mapping is ok. ...

Can you link cells between different files?
Are you able to link a cell and formula to a different cell in a differnt file? Yes "David C. Glasgo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0a4701c39a2f$7f0302b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... : Are you able to link a cell and formula to a different : cell in a differnt file? On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:05:28 -0700, "David C. Glasgo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >Are you able to link a cell and formula to a different >cell in a differnt file? Try: ='[other workbook.xls]someSheet'!A1 ...

Two Many Contact Files
Using Office 2003 Outlook. When I start to create a new email and write in the name it does not auto input the name as I enter it. I have the auto set OK. When I try and answer an email the auto name works OK. I also have another problem in that I have 4 contact lists. One of them has the addresses in it but the default one keeps telling me that the file has been moved or I do not have permission to use it. I have to manual set so that the second contact list opens when I go to the address book. The problem is that when I do that now the auto input of the address will not work. Is the...

Importing a Text File Using Macro
I have a macro set up to import a text file, but it imports into the active worksheet. How do I have the macro direct the import to another sheet in the workbook? >>How do I have the macro direct the import to another sheet in the workbook? Typically copy and paste after the import. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP can you reference a new "active cell" before the import routine? If you don't need a macro you can use Data-Get External Data-import text file and then you can import it to whatever cell you want. Paul wrote: > can you reference a new "active cell" ...

deleting temporary files
I want to delete temporary files from my windows 7 64 bit OS. please give me the steps You can right click on the file and then click on Delete. Same as it's been for years in Windows. On 2010-04-05 13:19, irfan wrote: > I want to delete temporary files from my windows 7 64 bit OS. > please give me the steps Irfan, The easiest way to access the folder where temporary files are kept is to run %TEMP%. How do you do that? Press and hold simultaneously the Windows Key plus the "R" key. Inside the dialog box type %TEMP% and then press ENTER. That will take...

Playing MP3 files embeded in Excel
I'm using Insert | Object | From File to insert an MP3 file into an Excel 2003 worksheet. I don't link to the original file (so I'm embedding it) and I change the icon from the default. Excel shows the icon correctly and allows me to play the file in Windows Media Player v10 successfully by double-clicking on the icon. But if I wait for the MP3 to finish playing and then double-click on another embeded MP3 file in the same worksheet, Windows Media Player says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify that you are connected t...

Linked files
My manager received a Word 2007 document with icons at the bottom to open PDF files. For him they do not open, but open for me and the person who sent to him. We are mapped to the same servers, so it is not a mappining issue. Is there a setting somewhere in Word 2007 that would prevent opening linked files? Thanks Kelli If the links are hyperlinks, your manager may have to hold Ctrl as he clicks them. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "Kelli" <Kelli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1F4AB58-C73E-4CA2-B24...

Window mail will not recognise an association for pps type file
Could someone helps please ? When i receive a mail containing pps files, I need to save to disk all pps file in order to view them with microsoft viewer, because i get an error message saying to set the association in default program. The association is already done with the viewer. This problem is only happening with window mail. It does not seem to be able to download the file in a temps file and then open it as my hotmail account does. tks G L Windows Mail ?? You're in the wrong NG - try microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail Otherwise, Start - Control Panel - Asso...

create main configuration file for solution.
Hello. How can I create main configuration file for my solution (Win-Form : VS 2008. VB.NET), like a general ini-file. Thanks :) "Mr. X." wrote: > Hello. > How can I create main configuration file for my solution (Win-Form : VS > 2008. VB.NET), like a general ini-file. > It's called an app.config. There is a name space you can use to mainulupate the app.config from a program. I see it on the project source directory (not for solution). I cannot see it on the release directory. Is there any convention to read / write from app.config...

Shortcut to file system folder
Hello Probably an obvious question but I don't seem to find a valid answer: is there a way to create a link / shortcut from Outlook to the file system ? Basically I would like to have some of my most used folders to show up in my Outlook list of folders or shortcuts. Any pointer welcome --alexT I think that ability was removed in OL2003 and OL2007 "AlexT." <google@atc.ch> wrote in message news:1186570023.147447.323180@l70g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hello > > Probably an obvious question but I don't seem to find a valid answer: > is there a way to c...

Convert 2000 Pub file to a PDF
Any ideas how to convert a Publisher 2000 file to a PDF? I know how to and have coverted Word and Excel, but having a problem converting Publisher Files. The PDF icon does not show up on my menu bar, nor does it allow me to add it as an ADD-ON tool to the bar. Any help would be appreciated. Funny - I have Acrobat and never used the icon. I always use File|Print and select the Distiller. Apparentl;y Publisher 2000 never added the icon to their toolbar so you'll just have to do it the way I do. "sue_mdms@yahoo.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

create an association
how can i create an association in the set associations control panel? so that i can read certain attachments in my emails -- kenandsue Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com It depends on the file extension. PPS needs PowerPoint Viewer for example and you need the correct programs on your machine to open them. Assuming you do have the correct programs then do this whenever you get a file type that isn't recognized. Save the attachment to your HDD. Right click on it and Open With | Choose Program. Find and choose a program that works and then check the box: Always...

File associations 2007 Office component
I have office 2007 enterprise and I cannot open an .accdb (access) file from the location of the file by double clicking. If I try, I get a message "...not a valid win32 application." I can open the file with access menu. When I try to reassociate the file, I cannot select msaccess.exe! it only shows "2007 microsoft office component. Any suggestions? ...

Opening a file with a Macro
To open files with a macro, I am currently using: Workbooks.Open Filename:= "C:\file_path.xls" How can I use a variable as part of the file path? In other words, before I try to open the file in my VBA code I will set a variable (let's call it date_extension). Then I want to open a file that I know will exist with a file path whose final characters before the .xls will be the date_extension. How can I get the file path to be recognized with the variable? Thanks for your help (P.S. I am a total novice, so I may not be familiar with commands or procedures that are fair...

Looking for control to browse files
Hi, I am pretty new to and unexperienced with access (2007 is the one I amworking with) I have made a database (of 1 table) to record registered mail and such. I have added a hyperlink field which contains the link to a specific transmittal document showing the contents of the mail item. I have added it to the form and it works fine. If I click on the link it opens the (Word) transmittal file). So far so good. What I want is a control that lets me browse for the transmittal file, something like a simple Open dialog Can someone point me to the right documentation, please ...