Wireless Adhoc network - 153061

Does an adhoc wireless network need to be set up every time it is used? If
so would purchasing a router (WAP) be the only solution?

Thanks,
J.
0
Jason
9/10/2010 8:09:59 PM
windows.64bit.general 526 articles. 0 followers. Follow

the definition of an ad-hoc wireless network is temporary peer to peer. You'd be
far better off with a router.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:09:59 +1200, "Jason" <jallen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does an adhoc wireless network need to be set up every time it is used? If
>so would purchasing a router (WAP) be the only solution?
>
>Thanks,
>J.
Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
0
barb
9/11/2010 9:23:12 AM
I've ran peer-to-peer on earlier systems without having to set them up
everyday (at turn on). Looks like 7 treats this is a security concern.

"barb bowman" <digitalmediaphile@gmail.com> wrote in message
> the definition of an ad-hoc wireless network is temporary peer to peer.
> You'd be
> far better off with a router.
>
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:09:59 +1200, "Jason" <jallen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Does an adhoc wireless network need to be set up every time it is used? If
>>so would purchasing a router (WAP) be the only solution?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>J.
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

0
Jason
9/11/2010 9:02:49 PM
Yup. As it should have treated them from the beginning. Ever been in an airport
where the scammers set up ad hoc networks the same as the real names of legit
services?

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 09:02:49 +1200, "Jason" <jallen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've ran peer-to-peer on earlier systems without having to set them up
>everyday (at turn on). Looks like 7 treats this is a security concern.
Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
0
barb

publisher 2003 v.slow to startup on network
Hi all, I have a problem at work as I am not too good at networks and the IT dept are not too good at publisher! Recently it takes me several minutes (3-4) to open up publisher. This seems to be linked to my profile (on what seems to be a pretty standard Windows 2003 network - Publisher is installed on individual systems, ie not a network install) as it happens on all systems and it is fine on other accounts. Other apps are fine. However the IT support people can't seem to locate the part of my profile which may be causing the problem (or a combination of that and being afraid ...

Networking Suggestions
I have multiple multicast video sources on a closed network that the client would now like to have the video available on their webpage as well. Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this? Do I need to write something that consumes the multicast range then forwards it out to the internet to get unicast? (I know this isn't the perfect place to post a networking question, but a.) I couldn't find a better newsgroup, and b.) if I have to write something a little guidance in that direction woul be great too.) Thanks! If you're concerned about the troll police re...

Networked Printer
We have a HP 2605dtn that is shared out on a Windows 2003 server. This week people have been complaining that PDF files take a long time to print. It prints a page, then stops, then starts back up. The driver on the server is a PCL6 driver. I have had problems in the past with PCL6 drivers, so I went to HP's site, but did not find a PCL5 driver, just a PostScript driver. I downloaded that and changed the driver on the server. Now on my PC, it's saying "printer not found on server". The share name is the same. If I change it back to the PCL6 driver, my ...

Network mapping question
Hi, I mapped 2 folders from a Windiows 2003 server as S:\ and T:\ drive on my Windows Vista SP2 (simple "Map network drive"). Every so often (often!) the mappings just dissapear. I asked our network guys to ensure they don't dissapear anymore (I startup loads of apps with a back-end db on that server), and about every day I get a mail the prob should be solved. It never turns out to be. I haven't got a clue what they do or try (i am a developer, not a Windows administrator), but I hope someone here can tell me how I can solve the problem. Thx a mil! ...

Wireless Question
When it comes to wireless, whether BlueTooth, 802.11 (a/b/g), etc, at the bottom, it is all sockets correct? Is there anything else other than sockets that do the actual marshalling? -- CSFastRunII - A developers dream! A integrated taskbar designed to easily launch one or groups of application with one click. check out http://www.consiliumsoft.com for details. As far as programming goes, you just use the wireless connection as you would any network connection ie you don't have to know how the computers are connected. Ralph Krausse wrote: > When it comes to wireless, whether Bl...

Network Waits and Read Committed Snapshot
I set my db isolation level to read committed snapshot. Will this allow me to read rows locked by network traffic? Thanks in advance Network traffic doesn't lock rows. The database engine does. Read committed will cause SQL Server to give you earlier versions of data for rows with exclusive locks. -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi "RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78423B8A-40F0-4875-B2B9-E8ABE0209071@microsoft.com... > I set my db isolat...

Network timekeeping
I have an application that will be acting as a time clock. It will be running simultaneously on multiple computers. What I'm interested in is accessing a central "master timeclock" computer (probably a computer running SQL Server since it will be the repository for the data ultimately). How can I make sure that all time is being accessed from this "master timeclock" computer? I'm not interested in millisecond or even second level of synchronicity. I just want to make sure that when a user logs his time on one computer, then goes elsewhere and logs a different t...

wireless router question from a dummy
Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a g. Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is an n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook? I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't have an adapter needed for the computer to work. Was wondering if that is the same case with a wireless n router? thanks How do you connect to the net? Do you have more than one PC? "iluv my kitties and family&...

scheduled network events
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Common/NetworkStatus.aspx?f=25&MSPPError=-2147197912 Scheduled Events Database upgrade When: June 4-6, 2007 Effect: During the upgrade time, you will not be able to access My Accounts, or your Portfolio. You may also not be able to sign into Microsoft Money "online" with your Windows Live (Passport) credentials. (You can sign in "offline" but will not have access to online features) Duration: Approximately 3 hours during one of these days Weekly Maintenance When: Sundays 1 AM (Pacific Time) Effect: Intermittent access to My Acc...

SQL Job sending a file to a network directory?
Hi, I am trying to create a Job in SQL Server 2005 and have an output file being sent to a local directory. I can do this no problem by sending the file to a local directory, but when I try to send this to a Network directory, the process still runs successfully but the file does not show in the specificed network drive. Is it possible to send files this way? Below is how I am sending it to the Network Directory. =91\\myservername\global$\myfiles\=94 Any thoughts and/or suggestions would greatly be apprciated and thank you in advance for any help! Replied in .programming ...

Setting up Wireless Networks
On my laptop, I am using Vista Home Premium (32-bit). I set up a wireless connection with my router, using a Netgear wireless adapter. Works like a charm. On my desktop, I have Vista Home Premium (64-bit). It interjects a "VirtualProfile" into the equation of wireless networks available. Using Netgear, I established "Profile1." On the Manage Wireless Networks tab under the Network and Sharing Center, I see both networks. I have placed Profile1 on top (so to speak) of VirtualProfile, assuming that the system will attempt to connect to the Internet firs...

Saving excel to network folder
The file "filename.xls" may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do save a copy or overwrite changes This is the error message we are receiving in Excel 2002 only. We are saving the file on our network shared folder (network is NT4 server) we also have MAC volume services on this folder because it is also seen on the MAC. Any suggestions. We are not changing the file by another user we can change the file 1 minute after first saving it and it still pops up with the message HELP! ...

Can I share the calenda and contact between computers on the network
I have few staff in my company. I want to share the same calenda and contact with all my staff. How can I do it? Dear Chris, are you using Exchange? If not, on this site is an article on various ways to share Outlook data: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011477571033.aspx You will also find a list of third-party sharing tools: http://www.mapistore.com/Outlook/Groupware http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange: Public ShareFolder Notebook synchronisation for Outlook: Public SyncTool http://www.publicshareware.com &qu...

vista networking
Hi I have 2 machines one with vista home premium and the other with vista ultimate that I need to network to a WIN2000 server. When I try to map the network drive, vista insists on putting the computer name in front of the username, and so I am refused log-on. I have tried set a login credential username/password in vista ultimate (home version wont let me do this). The credential is accepted, but when I try to map the network drive vista STILL adds the computer name. PLESE PLEASE can someone tell me how to stop this so that I can log onto my server? Why does progress alway...

wireless
alguem sabe configurar o airsnort cracado?obrigado ...

Using two Network Adaptors
Hi, I have a new Windows 2003 R2 Standard server running Exchange 2003 Standard. The server has two Broadcom 1Gbps network cards in it. I used the Broadcom software to Team these cards for Load balancing and Failover. Unfortunately, after running for a month or so I started getting errors where the Exchange server couldn't reach the DC's. I removed the Team and am using just one of the Network adaptors and everything is back to normal. It may be the other adaptor is faulty and I will check that out next weekend. What I would like to know is what is the best way to use this two ...

Wireless connection
Vista HP 32bit.... When I power on my laptop after not using the Power off.....so its coming out of Sleep....and you see RESUMING WINDOWS.....9 out of 10 times I won't get connected to my Router. I have used the Diagnostic Tool...and get the same results, which is, power off the Router...and power it back on...and when I do that, I do get re-connected. Suggestions denmarfl wrote: > Vista HP 32bit.... > > When I power on my laptop after not using the Power off.....so its coming > out of Sleep....and you see RESUMING WINDOWS.....9 out of 10 times I won'...

SBS 2008 : Daily Report "Detailed Network Report" Delayed
Hello, We have migrated 3 clients from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 without any problem everything work great but we have only one problem : We receive every day @ 6AM "Detailed Network Report" from every servers. We receive "Detailed Network Report" From SBS 2003 between 6AM to 6:05AM so with 2003 Servers it's work perfectly. The problem is with SBS 2008 : We receive Report between 6:00AM to 9:00AM and we don't know why ... Settings are configured to send e- mail @ 6AM.... Anybody has the same problem or can help us ? Thanks for your help Have a nice ...

wireless network has to be started every time
We switched our wireless encryption from WEP to WPA and I must've done something wrong. But now we need to start the utility every time we boot the PC. Read the over air links, instructions very carefully made several tries, but still not able to get the wireless to come up every time we boot. So where do we put the execution of utility for booting. Anyone got any ideas? TIA -- ____________________________________ In Christ's matchless name ted & colleen n6trf kc6rue This newsgroup is for discussions about Microsoft Access, a relational ...

Enter Network Password #4
I keep getting a dialogue box entitled Enter Network Password pop up for each of my mail accounts. while running Outlook XP (fully service packed) under XP Pro. It lists mail server, User and password (shown as *******) and an unticked `save this password in your password list' box. Needless to say, ticking this does not prevent the event from recurring fairly frequently. Has anyone come across a solution to this? I have seen the problem on many sites but with no solutions. TIA Toddy ...

Some links to file use drive letter, others network path, it thinks it is a different file!
I have a sheet with a bunch of lookups to another workbook on our server. I noticed one column that would not update with a Calculate. It sees the link as //Server/path etc... Other links will update and are linked to P:/path... When the file is opened P:/ links resolve to just the file name. The //Server ones don't. The only way to update the //Server lookups is to go into each one and edit and Enter to refresh. I am confused. Please help. I went into data links and sure enough, the same file was listed twice, once with drive letter, once with network path. So from there I opened...

Xp Pro/Home Networking
I have 2pc's on my network. A.XP Pro, B.XP Home The A pc can see and access the b files just fine. The B can see the Share Docs fiolder, but can't access the A file. This error message apears: SharedDcs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this resource. File sharing is enabled on both pc's Is the username and password on B the same as the username and password on A? John wrote: > I have 2pc's on my network. A.XP Pro, B.XP Home > > The A pc can see and access the b files just fine. The B can see the Share > Docs fio...

Win7 wireless area networking
I have an existing wireless home network for file sharing and what not. It was no trick to get this working with XP. Vista was problematical, but is now working. How can I connect my Win7 to the home wireless network? I've been searching and experimenting for days, with no success. This is not a Home-group solution, since I have but one Win7 machine. Can someone walk me through the setup? Thanks in advance! Avraham Avraham Hanadari wrote: > I have an existing wireless home network for file sharing and what not. > It was no trick to get this working with XP. Vi...

Wireless
I need clairification on a wireless issue and I appologize if I post this in the wrong area. If you can find the proper area to post this please let me know because I search for 1 hour already. If 2 seperate LAN systen are running. The first LAN is NOT connected to the Internet for security reasons. The second LAN is using the Wireless Microsoft MN-500 Wireless router and does have an Internet connection through High Spead cable. The IT Security team says that signal emmisions emmitted from the unshielded CAT5 wireing on LAN(1) are broadcasting inside of the wireless bubble. They als...

Kerberos errors & network problems after large email mailshot?
Hello all, and a happy new year! I wondered if I could get some ideas for what happened on a SBS 2003 server I look after last night. I was notified that there was a problem with the server, the client said they had sent a "large volume" of emails as a mailshot, subsequent to this they couldn't connect to the server. When I tried to get in, I couldn't connect to the server, but the computer which sent the emails was visible, online, and would let me connect in (using logmein). I could, from there, ping the server fine, but I could not issue a remote shut...