Win 7 UAC and Passwords

About to take delivery of a new Win7 box and I'm curious about assigning 
passwords

I found this page

http://unixwiz.net/techtips/win7-limited-user.html

Which includes an interesting paragraph

Curiously enough, it's not always necessary to have a password on an 
account. Since an account with a blank password cannot be accessed over the 
network, you can substantially reduce the attack surface of a machine this 
way.

But this requires that you have good control of physical security over the 
machine: if there are users on the machine (or in the environment) who are 
not allowed to perform administrative duties, it would be a poor idea to 
have a blank password because it would allow anybody to walk up to the 
computer and go to town.

In addition, a laptop that leaves the house is probably not a good candidate 
for a blank password because physical security is seriously problematic.

For most home users, it probably doesn't really matter that much how you 
choose your password schemes, but if you have any questions about this, 
please present your scenario to a trusted security adviser for guidance.

I intend to create an Admin account and a Standard user account  ( for daily 
use )

Under those conditions , do I really need to assign passwords during the 
initial setup ?

Thanks 

0
Sparky
11/17/2009 2:58:00 AM
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

2 Replies
709 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 12

Yes. Assign passwords and good ones. Especially for the admin account. If 
you actually run in a standard user account, and want to leave that one 
blank, I don't see a huge problem with that, given that you understand the 
limitations.

-- 
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Sparky" <no@email.com> wrote in message 
news:e1%23rGHzZKHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> About to take delivery of a new Win7 box and I'm curious about assigning 
> passwords
>
> I found this page
>
> http://unixwiz.net/techtips/win7-limited-user.html
>
> Which includes an interesting paragraph
>
> Curiously enough, it's not always necessary to have a password on an 
> account. Since an account with a blank password cannot be accessed over 
> the network, you can substantially reduce the attack surface of a machine 
> this way.
>
> But this requires that you have good control of physical security over the 
> machine: if there are users on the machine (or in the environment) who are 
> not allowed to perform administrative duties, it would be a poor idea to 
> have a blank password because it would allow anybody to walk up to the 
> computer and go to town.
>
> In addition, a laptop that leaves the house is probably not a good 
> candidate for a blank password because physical security is seriously 
> problematic.
>
> For most home users, it probably doesn't really matter that much how you 
> choose your password schemes, but if you have any questions about this, 
> please present your scenario to a trusted security adviser for guidance.
>
> I intend to create an Admin account and a Standard user account  ( for 
> daily use )
>
> Under those conditions , do I really need to assign passwords during the 
> initial setup ?
>
> Thanks 

0
Charlie
11/17/2009 5:35:42 AM
Makes sense....thanks a bunch !


"Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in message 
news:OZg8Of0ZKHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Yes. Assign passwords and good ones. Especially for the admin account. If 
> you actually run in a standard user account, and want to leave that one 
> blank, I don't see a huge problem with that, given that you understand the 
> limitations.
>
> -- 
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>
>
>
>
> "Sparky" <no@email.com> wrote in message 
> news:e1%23rGHzZKHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> About to take delivery of a new Win7 box and I'm curious about assigning 
>> passwords
>>
>> I found this page
>>
>> http://unixwiz.net/techtips/win7-limited-user.html
>>
>> Which includes an interesting paragraph
>>
>> Curiously enough, it's not always necessary to have a password on an 
>> account. Since an account with a blank password cannot be accessed over 
>> the network, you can substantially reduce the attack surface of a machine 
>> this way.
>>
>> But this requires that you have good control of physical security over 
>> the machine: if there are users on the machine (or in the environment) 
>> who are not allowed to perform administrative duties, it would be a poor 
>> idea to have a blank password because it would allow anybody to walk up 
>> to the computer and go to town.
>>
>> In addition, a laptop that leaves the house is probably not a good 
>> candidate for a blank password because physical security is seriously 
>> problematic.
>>
>> For most home users, it probably doesn't really matter that much how you 
>> choose your password schemes, but if you have any questions about this, 
>> please present your scenario to a trusted security adviser for guidance.
>>
>> I intend to create an Admin account and a Standard user account  ( for 
>> daily use )
>>
>> Under those conditions , do I really need to assign passwords during the 
>> initial setup ?
>>
>> Thanks
>

 

0
Sparky
11/17/2009 5:52:26 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Windows 7 Mail Question
Does Windows 7 have an included email application? If so, does it support IMAP, POP, SMTP, EXCHANGE and HTTP email configurations? Thank you. -Frank YES "Frankster" <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message news:ze6dnYRTr8IDfqXWnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@giganews.com... > Does Windows 7 have an included email application? If so, does it support > IMAP, POP, SMTP, EXCHANGE and HTTP email configurations? > > Thank you. > > -Frank Windows 7 does not include an email program. I use the free Windows Live Mail,(http:\download.live.com) but ther...

Reminders #7
Hi, For some reason the reminders of the callendar and tasks won't appear in Outlook 2003. Can anybody help me? Thanks, David Hello Jason, Jason wrote: > For some reason the reminders of the callendar and tasks won't appear > in Outlook 2003. Can anybody help me? try this: 1. Start|Run... 2. Outlook /CleanReminders Please avoid cross-postings like this in future! x-post & f'up2 microsoft.public.outlook Regards -- Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Outlook] Share what you know, learn what you don't! (Deja/Google) After doing this, a message appears from the outlook ...

Win 7...to..... Win XP??
Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// Rudy wrote: > Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop > w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// "w/o causing any problems" is ill-defined. It's no problem for me to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over a Windows XP system and continue using it... Is it a problem for you to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over Windows XP, install your applications and restore your data so you can us...

Install WIN 98 after WIN XP
On my notebook i have installed WIN XPSP2 on partotion C(NTFS). Then I have created partition E on the same hard disk(D is CD drive), and format it to FAT32 situable for instalation of WIN 98. The problem for me is how to install WIN 98 to E drive, without deleting WIN XP, and with boot menu to choose which operating system want to use. I need to install WIN 98 for diagnostic software of some old devices that won´t work on WIN XP. I was thinking to solve this problem in next steps: - create an image of operating system(image of WIN XP) on NTFS file system with some backup a...

Not retaining password
Here's an interesting problem for you computer nurds. I'm working on a computer that has two windows profiles, one is the orginal and the other is a new one just recently setup for work. Outlook 2003 isn't beening used on the orginal login profile and on the new profile it isn't retaining the password. Both have computer admin rights and OS is WinXP SP3. I've tick "remember my password" in the email accounts settings and it remains ticked but everytime it does a "send and receive" it askes you for the password. I've spent today trying to fix this is...

Win 7 x64 and problems with ERUNT
I have, since loading Win 7 x64, not been able to use ERUNT to automatically backup the Registry at startup. It appears that if you elect for the ERUNT default configuration to save the 'backup' to %systemroot%\ERDNT the backup will fail. However, I have since learned, (Google where else?) that if you elect to save the backup to another folder it will succeed. In my case I save the backup to a USB drive (P:\ERDNT) and 'autobackup' runs as it should at startup. ...

error encountered installing office pro plus 2010 Win 7 ultimate 3
Trying to install Office Pro Plus 2010 in Win 7 unltimate 32bit downloaded from technet as the installer was starting to run got this error "Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:windows\installer\546ca7b.ipi -2147287035) ???? -- Thanks for the help Since Pro Plus is a volume license you would need to seek support from your Home IT dept, or via the phone numbers given with your 'purchase' of Pro Plus "pauldemo" <pauldemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:226448E2-498C-4D1B-A798-0D92E04D839A@microsoft.com... > Try...

Macro Security, Password Recovery & VB Code execution
I have found that if I set my macro security to high, VB code within (non-trusted) excel sheets do not execute... a microsoft security feature that ostensibly prevents non- trusted users from running VB The questions I have are : Is there a way to guarantee VB macro-execution using digital certificates or what-have-you ? Is there a way to detect, either within excel (well, not possible, it seems) or from outside, that the combo of users macro-security settings and signature status of a perticular excel file, WILL prevent VB from executing, if the file is attempted to opened ? ...

Exchange Server Unavailable #7
I am unable to send emails due to not being able to sign in to an Microsoft Exchange Server. At sign on, I am asked for a Post Office server. What is the correct path or Network location to my Microsoft Mail postoffice? What is my Mail box? Houston, TX Contact your ISP or network administrator for your mail account settings. They are the only ones who can answer this question for you. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 "Sedone" <Sedone@disc...

How do you password protect a single cell or column of cells
I am trying to password protect a column of single cells but it keeps protecting the whole work sheet can ant one help? Select all the column not to be protected; Use Format | Cells | protection and deselect the Lock box Now Tools | Protect | worksheet Does this give you what you want? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Kinnaird" <Kinnaird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D46DB91-B014-492A-94D8-24D5190CD154@microsoft.com... >I am trying to password protect a column of single cells bu...

fonts #7
I have been using this font "Elaine" for my logo and now that I have reinstall Office 2003 standard edition I have lost this font. Can anyone out there help me please... There's a newsgroup named: comp.fonts Maybe you could post there or even search google within that newsgroup. dong wrote: > > I have been using this font "Elaine" for my logo and now that I have > reinstall Office 2003 standard edition I have lost this font. Can anyone out > there help me please... -- Dave Peterson ...

Outlook Express 6.0 Win XP #2
How do I make a back-up of my messages on outlook express to burn on a CD ? Thanks ...

Changing Machine Account password fails
Hi, from time to time i have the following error in one of my Domain Controllers: EventID: 3224 Source: Netlogon Changing machine account password for account domain.local failed with the following error: the specific user already exists. Do i have to be worry about that ? cheers, Marco -- travelfreak ------------------------------------------------------------------------ travelfreak's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/128759.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1279458.htm http://forums.techarena.in The detail...

password for personal folder
hi pls help me out im using outlook 2007 i have set password to my personal folder, it worls fine for few days prompting for the password whenever i open it. but after few days it wont prompt for the password and it directly gets opened. what could be the problem is anything like password expriy for 15 days or something there. pls resolve this problem... if u ask me for after how many days this is happening ill not be able to tell u pls helpme out in resolving the issue... "User" wrote: > hi > pls help me out > im using outlook 2007 i have set p...

cell formatting #7
I have sheet that is not letting me format a number unless I doubl click on the cell. Say the cell value is 5.00000 I cannot reduce the number of decimals. There is over 12k rows of data so I don't particularly want to g through each cell. Thanks in advanc ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try - tools / options / edit / fixed decimal. >-----Original Message----- > >I have sheet that is not letting me format a number unless I double >clic...

Money 2004 Small Business #7
I have installed OK and have set up a business file OK. Now I want to set up a file for my personal accounts but when I try it always asks for business info. I tried looking in the help guide but can't figure it out. Just ignore the requests. I have exactly your scenario and have two files one for my personal data and one for my Company. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Marty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Windows 7 was my idea but...
....where can I download .NET 4 beta bits so I can install the Expression Blend 4 beta products? Hello HillBilly, > ...where can I download .NET 4 beta bits so I can install the > Expression Blend 4 beta products? > Honestly.... unless you're really in a hurry, I'd wait 6 days ad the RTM version will be out April 12th = VStudio 2010 and .Net framework 4.0 RTM -- Rory "Hillbilly" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:uMrq#DZ1KHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > ...where can I download .NET 4 beta bits so I can install ...

GP 9.0 user logins passwords
We have this same problem, but only for a few users. A user will be told that their GP password is not valid for FRx, so the SQL admin will reset the FRx password. This allows the user to log into FRx, but on the next log in for GP, GP forces the user to change their password. Once the GP password is changed (so the user can get into GP), the FRx password again is locked and needs to be reset by the SQL admin. It is a vicious circle, so any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Again, it is strange because half of the users have no problem at all. TIA ryanb. ==== Newsgroups:...

SystemMailbox password
suggestions please - I have a group that is using small business server 2003 and they decided to check the mail on the system mailbox. In order to do this they changed the password for the systemmailbox(guid) account. I thought that I would just start over by adding a new store and moving all of the messages over, but they are on Exchange standard edition which only lets them have 1 store. Any ideas please? Thanks in advance ...

Printing in Win NT vs Win 2000
When printing a document in NT, it is coming out differently than from 2000. It doesn't matter what printer you print to. I've tried 4 different printers so far. The option in Excel is fit to 1x1 page. Any ideas? Thank you. Kathy I'm afraid it is difficult to get prints the same from different printers and operating systems as the drivers will be different all round. Excel uses setting from the drivers. You could try and ensure that all same printers have all same version of drivers for each operating system. (Normally manufacturers release them all together for Winx) ...

Money 2003 #7
I have Money 99 installed on my computer that I use. I purchased Money 2003 and want to load it. Will it automatically put all my account information on the new one, or do I need to save everything and re-install it on the 2003 version? thanks I think you need to spend some time understanding where Money stores your data. It stores it (with the exception of some of the Tools|Options settings) in a data file with the extension .MNY that is named what you told Money to name it and stored where you told Money to store it. M03 **should** be able to upgrade this file, if both it and your M99 ...

Question about Win 2003 R2 OEM license key
I installed Win 2003 R2 with a used OEM license key and media. Obvious it cannot be activated with this key. I asked the vendor to get a new license key. What the vendor told me is even I get the new license key, I will need to re-install Win 2003 with the media it shippes! Is this true? My believe is as long as it is unused new OEM license, I can just put the key in, even the Win 2003 is installed with a media that tagged with a different license key. Am I right here? Sorry--you have landed in a MacWord newsgroup. You'll need to find a Windows newsgroup to ask your question. http:...

Win a limited edition Google Water-Bottle!
Hi all, Did you know that Google Docs makes it easy to create forms and surveys? One of the least known, but most useful features of Google Docs is forms and we want your help in spreading the word. Now we want to do raffle among the participators of Google Doc survey after you come back to campus from the Thanksgiving! Please take seconds to fill out the Google Doc survey ( the link below) and you could win a limited edition Google water-bottle or a Google Wave account! Survey Link: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGsyVUdYSjhqUmF5dm9ZYjk3RVZoUVE6MA...

password protection on out look express identity
my son put a password on my outlook express identity and I have no idea how to access my account with oput it. Can any one help? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&i...

Saving attachments #7
While working in Outlook I accidentally hit "save" instead of "save as" and the attachment from email will get saved in the temp OKL folder. Periodically, I'll go to this folder and clean it out - put files into different folders where they belong. When I went to do this yesterday, the window showed no files but when I went up one step and checked the properties of the OKL folder, it says I have 944 files in there. Any ideas what's happening here, I'm trying to clear up disk space. ...