VISTA Laptop - x86 but has 64bit drivers avail from Manufactureres Website

Hi,

I have an Acer Laptop.
I have checked my the "system info", it says it is x86.
But i have also checked the acer website for updates under the model number
and there are 64 bit drivers available for windows 7.

So is my lap able to use windows 7 64bit???

Thanks

0
abc
1/8/2010 4:10:06 AM
windows.64bit.general 526 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There is absolutely no way we can tell from what you've posted. What model
number? What processor? And, ultimately, what do you hope to accomplish? Do
you have >4GB of RAM? Do you actually need to run any 64-bit applications?

Frequently manufacturers have more than one version of a laptop model, and
some versions might be 64-bit capable, while others are not.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"abc" <2010micron@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Acer Laptop.
> I have checked my the "system info", it says it is x86.
> But i have also checked the acer website for updates under the model
> number and there are 64 bit drivers available for windows 7.
>
> So is my lap able to use windows 7 64bit???
>
> Thanks

0
Charlie
1/8/2010 6:08:34 AM
If Acer has x64 Windows 7 drivers for it they must be selling it with
x64 Windows 7.

All you need is to buy and install the Windows 7 upgrade. Retail
upgrades include both 32 and 64 bit disks.

On 08/01/2010 04:10, abc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Acer Laptop.
> I have checked my the "system info", it says it is x86.
> But i have also checked the acer website for updates under the model
> number and there are 64 bit drivers available for windows 7.
>
> So is my lap able to use windows 7 64bit???
>
> Thanks
0
Dominic

MS Excel as backend/database for a website
Hello, If I use MS Excel as the backend/database for a website, how stable is it? Can you please offer any information on the pros and cons of doing so? Thank you ...

VISTA
When I go to save my excel 2007 worksheet which is running in compatibility mode because I have VISTA I get DOCUMENT NOT SAVED can anybody help? Thank you -- Paula Paula, Your Excel 2007 is not running in compatibility mode because of Vista. Compatibility mode means you have opens a old Excel file made with a version that pre-dates XL 2007 Form the Start menu open Excel. It will open with a blank XL 2007 workbook Add some data and Save Tell us what happens best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "PaulaC" <P...

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area on vista
Hp lap top, had my first bsod. had not changed anything in 6 days just surfing web. It was slow, and rebooted. bsod. I am in safe mode with network now, if i load into reg vista, it bsod. Here is what I have tried so far. not in any real order Restore to last up date 5/7 Failed restore to 5/4 failed, Restore to day before I added antivirus software 4/29 failed Ran spybot, safe mode Ran cc cleaner safe mode Ran chkdsk c:/r 8 bad sectors. Finally here. This is my work cpu, and i need to get the invoicing out. I have it backed up. I can access it through here. I will say this l...

Can't delete corrupt C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file
OS XP... I had a virus that redirected yahoo, Google, etc to another web site. Ran a scan and eliminated the virus. The C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file was not visible when opening the etc folder. I tried to create a new hosts file and was stopped by an error that said the file already existed. I opened the etc\hosts file in the dos window and listed its contents. It was filled with yahoo / Google redirects. I tried to delete it with the dos command and was stopped by an error that said I didn't have permission... I was logged on as an administrator. ...

Rich text formatting not available in subforms
I am using rich-text memo fields in subforms and the formatting menus and the floating formatting UI that are available on the master form are not present for the subform. Only thing available seems to be control-key formatting commands but it's not enough. Both the table and the field on the form have the Text Format property set to Rich Text. Does anyone have any solutions/workarounds or know if there's a fix on the way? Thanks for the help. You're right about that, Binnie. This is one of the limitations with subforms, and it is not fixed in SP1. I don't have a sol...

Outlook 2003 crashes and restarts in Vista
Hi all! I'm hoping to get some help from all of you! After my laptop installed some updates it started to crash Outlook whenever I'm writing an email. I have re-installed Outlook and even uninstalled some of the updates I thought would be conflictive, however it still happens. Here's the error I'm getting: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 11.0.8312.0 Application Timestamp: 4a403990 Fault Module Name: OUTLLIB.dll Fault Module Version: 11.0.8313.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a793...

Communicating with CD DVD devices
I have an application that reads & writes to CD & DVD devices. I've not written my own device driver and have no ambitions to do so but I thought I'd ask a question here about something that still confuses me. The MS documentation for how to communicate with CD & DVD devices says the CD/DVD class driver is cdrom.sys which handles all the CDROM ioctls. Unfortunately these ioctls are inadequate for taking full advantage of CD and especially DVD capabilities. Plus many of them work on some versions of Windows and not on others because they have been replaced by new on...

USB function driver in WinCe 5.0
Hello. I'm using the sample mass_storage driver in platformbuilder (bot.cpp) to make our own function driver which uses company vendor id, pipes and protocol. All that works nicely. Now I need to make an independent dll which is NOT launched (init_xxx) by device manager (as bot.cpp is) but with same functionality. This dll has to be lanched by call from std. .net application. 1). If i do so: My dll's call to UfnInitializeInterface fails in BusIoControl(hBusAccess, IOCTL_UFN_GET_CLIENT_DATA, NULL, 0,&ucd, sizeof(ucd), &cbData, NULL); (ufnclient.cpp). Any idears...

Vista not starting
Hi! My Dell Dimension/Vista Home Premium SPlatest has been running reasonably troublefree for thre years. Last week, the machine would come up to the 'Micrsosft Corporation' progress bar and progress away to glory. Sometimes a restart would work, sometimes not. The third time it happened, I found it wouldnt start even after three restarts It started on safe mode. I went back to normal mode and (I think) it did not start. Or maybe it ddid. I chanced to look at Event Viewer ( people should make it a practice to do so in the event of unexpected situations) and found a DHCP f...

Advice on laptop & handheld to buy
I type To Do lists with specific topics on my older iBook in MS Word. Then I print them and carry them around in my backpack to remind me of things I'd like to do or to take write brainstormed idea notes onto. 1) Do you have advice as to a more efficient/organized way to accomplish? I'm ready to get a new mac laptop. 2) a) Should I buy the new MacBook Pro when it makes it to an Apple Store in Feb because of the latest Intel processor? b)Or should I take the money savings and buy an older model? iBook or Powerbook? c) Do any Mac Laptops have a sunprotector so I could actually see my ...

pst on laptops
Hi everybody, In my company we have some laptops with its outlook installed that retrieves its pst files from the LAN (for backup reasons). Is it possible to configure a secondary pst file (local) for the case that the laptop is not in the LAN, so, in case that there's no access to the main pst, automatically switches to the secondary one. And, there's any way to mantain these pst files syncronized automatically? Thanks in advance, Marc Soleda. How big are these PST files? If you keep them small by good archiving you might be able to use XP's Offline Folders (not Outlo...

how to install php on vista
I try to install php on window vista by running window installer from php.net. But in Configure IIS, I can not find add new extension (.php) in IIS manager. Also there is no php5isapi.dll in php folder. I try to run test.php on localhost, it gives error message "The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration." Need help to solve this problem. Thanks. On 09 Apr 2010, =?Utf-8?B?eW9yaw==?= <york@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > I try to install php on window vista by running wind...

Microsoft RMS POS 2.0 & Vista Home Premium
We just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, and we plan on buying Microsoft RMS POS 2.0. Will version 2.0 of RMS POS run on Vista Home Premium? Thanks, Tom While RMS does on on Vista very well, in my opinion but you will want to make sure that all of addional POS hardware will work with Vista as well i.e. scanners, printers. etc... I know that the TPI plug-in from Mercury is not compatible with Vista and neither are the Mini MIRC check readers from Magtek. Having the ability to process checks is not as critical as it once was, as alot of retailers will no longer accept check...

Make Data available for re-import
Hi can anyone confirm whether the 'make data available for re-import' option when exporting has been removed from CRM 4.0. This used to be available but was wondering if Microsoft have pulled it from their final release. If so would anyone know why, and also if there is a work around available. Regards, Craig Craig - This was available as part of the early access program for CRM, but got yanked prior to RTM. The CRM Team has a workaround that can be found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/01/25/data-manipulation-tool.aspx -- Fortis www.webfortis.com "Craig4s...

RNDIS generic driver is loaded but not working
I load the RNDIS (Microsoft supplied) drivers on WinXP. The INF file was previously (and automatically) copied to Windows\INF directory as "oem14.inf". When I plug-in the device, in the Device Manager, I see 2 devices like "RNDIS Gadget" & "RNDIS Gadget #2". Both of them give "The device can not start. (Code 10)". The USB device never gets the RNDIS_INITIALIZE_MSG message. In fact, after lots of GetDesc , SetAddr and more GetDesc, the last control message it receives is GetDescriptor (String type) which was successfull. What to do next ...

Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also. Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM? Thank you. Brian Having 2gig of RAM is a lot better than having 1 GIG or even 512MB. Go for it and you will not regret it -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ...

Favorite feature about Vista
The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look better. I sent a message to Laredo Community College and I CCed Alejandra, so I hope Alejandra gets the message that this is not email. "Alejandra Contreras" <i1405104@cisnet.laredo.edu> wrote in message news:uY2t40AsKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. > It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look > better....

Installing an "Startup on Login" App on Vista or Windows 7?
To install a .NET app on XP so that it launches when the user logs in, all you had to do was add a folder named Startup to the User's Programs Menu object the Setup project's file system, and create a shortcut in that folder that runs the app's primary output. This does not seem to work with Vista or Windows 7, apparently due to the different location on the disk for the Start menu folder tree. What's the trick to get this to work on either XP, Vista or Windows 7? ...

09 R4i Dsi, Drivers Firmware, R4 Dsi nintendo Dsi 25447
Firmware - Driver para R4i Dsi, R4 Dsi. Nintendo Dsi. http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_firmware-drivers-nintendo-dsi-r4-i-upgrade_1214985 saludos Ck_nr&>ZLn&=h/Cc)lV(A)Pm= ...

Outlook 2007, Vista and Unread Mail
Unread Mail no longer displays the number of new unread mails; instead, folders with new mails are displayed in bold. But when I click on Unread Mail, I can read the mails that are new. How can I get Unread Mail to display the number of Unread Mails, and the folders containing new emails to NOT be displayed in bold? -- Thanks, John Hi John, What happens if you right click on the Unread Mail folder and click properties? Is the "Show number of Unread Items" radio button selected? -- Benjamin Gay [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confe...

Laptop Client Toolbar Widgets
Hi all, I have the laptop client installed on a computer and most things work properly. When the user clicks on a new activity button on the toolbar (i.e. new account, new task, new call, etc...) or when the user clicks on "view in crm" from a contact or message the outlook window flashes but the CRM window does not open. The user is able to "track in crm" and select parent accounts from contacts fine, and the offline client seems to be syncronizing properly. I am assuming this is an issue with IE/Google pop-up blockers but I cannot figure out why this functionalit...

How to Syncronizing Work laptop with Home PC?
Hi, I'm not sure that this is the newsgroup to ask this however if not, and someone knows where to post, please let me know. Here's the situation, I have: 1) A Work Laptop (Win2k) that connects to my company's LAN. This collects my work emails etc on MS Outlook (not MS Exchange, just via POP). 2) A Home PC (WinXP) connected to internet & collects personal ISP emails. 3) A 30GB external portable USB2.0 HDD 4) A MS SmartPhone and Pocket PC PDA that both use MS Activesync to synchronise between a PC and the device (using MS Outlook). Questions: If I have files eg Word docum...

Task Scheduler in Vista to launch a script ?
I would like to use Task Scheduler in Vista to launch a script, IF the laptop changes from A/C power to Battery power. and I want a second task to monitor when the laptop returns from battery to A/C power. I need help, I can not determine what settings to use once I select event as my triggers. Can any one help ? ...

MSAccess2003 and Vista
I am running an access 2003 application as a Client Server, with the front end on users PCs and the _be on the server. Until now all pcs have been using WindowsXP. A new HP laptop has been purchased with Vista. I had difficulty initially running the application and relinking the _fe to the _be on the server -which is normally a straight forward operation with an XP machine but was unstable with the Vista machine. Eventually after a few tries I got the link working and the application worked fine for an hour or so but then just fell over. I have done the same thing a number of times but ...

If I get 'access denied' one more time with Vista I am going to go to Linux : I hate Vista, I despise Vista. I absolutely hate Vista!
From a 17 year user of windows. I no longer trust Microsoft and will not buy Windows 7, maybe never. "U S Army Veteran" <someone@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7Wdnfh2e4m3HYPWnZ2dnUVZ_tWdnZ2d@giganews.com... > From a 17 year user of windows. I no longer trust Microsoft and will not > buy Windows 7, maybe never. Sounds like you are too stupid to use Windows. You are a perfect candidate for that crappy Ubuntu. Get with Alias, he will be happy to get another user. Don't let the screen door hit your ass on the way out On Tue, 08 Dec 2...