total memory available is only 3.3GB with 4GB physical memory under windows 7 64 bit 05-16-10

I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit,
available memory is shown as 3.3GB.  I asked on usenet and was told
that only under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.

When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit (I did clean install of
course), but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB.
This is show in both task manager under performance->Physical
memory->total, and 'property of My Computer'->Installed memory
(4GB/3.3 GB usable)

Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available?

It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own video
RAM. This video card may not have its own memory.

Now I just replaced a new video card with 512 MB of its own memory,
the memory available becomes 2.8GB.  Again, this is shown  in both
task manager under performance->Physical memory->total, and 'property
of My Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/2.8 GB usable).

The PC is Dell Inpirson 530.  The only BIOS setting applicable to this
is:
DVMT Mode:  FIXED, DVMT (DVMT by default)
DVMT/FIXED Memory Size:  128 MB, 256 MB, MAX (128 MB by default)

Looked up DVMT on the web, doesn't seem change the setting will help.

Thanks.
0
someone
5/16/2010 1:47:52 PM
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Sun, 16 May 2010 09:47:52 -0400, someone wrote:

> I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit, available
> memory is shown as 3.3GB.  I asked on usenet and was told that only
> under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.

That's not quite true. Certain server editions of 32 bit MS systems and
Linux 32 bit systems can address up to 64gb via PAE - assuming the
hardware cooperates.

> When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit (I did clean install of
> course), but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB.
> This is show in both task manager under performance->Physical
> memory->total, and 'property of My Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/3.3
> GB usable)
>
> Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available?
>
> It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own video
> RAM. This video card may not have its own memory.
>
> Now I just replaced a new video card with 512 MB of its own memory, the
> memory available becomes 2.8GB.  Again, this is shown  in both task
> manager under performance->Physical memory->total, and 'property of My
> Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/2.8 GB usable).
>
> The PC is Dell Inpirson 530.  The only BIOS setting applicable to this
> is:
> DVMT Mode:  FIXED, DVMT (DVMT by default) DVMT/FIXED Memory Size:  128
> MB, 256 MB, MAX (128 MB by default)
>
> Looked up DVMT on the web, doesn't seem change the setting will help.
>

> Thanks.

0
ray
5/16/2010 2:14:45 PM
This is a BIOS setting . It can be called any of several different things,
but look for a setting to re-map or offset memory in the BIOS and change it
to enable the offset. The issue is that peripheral cards and functionality
need memory addresses and normally these are mapped into the range between
3-4 GB since 32-bit OS's needed the addresses for these cards to be below
the 4GB point. With a 64-bit OS, this 4GB limitation is no longer an issue,
and the memory addresses can be above 4GB, but the BIOS needs to know that
and make the change.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

<someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit,
> available memory is shown as 3.3GB.  I asked on usenet and was told
> that only under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.
>
> When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit (I did clean install of
> course), but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB.
> This is show in both task manager under performance->Physical
> memory->total, and 'property of My Computer'->Installed memory
> (4GB/3.3 GB usable)
>
> Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available?
>
> It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own video
> RAM. This video card may not have its own memory.
>
> Now I just replaced a new video card with 512 MB of its own memory,
> the memory available becomes 2.8GB.  Again, this is shown  in both
> task manager under performance->Physical memory->total, and 'property
> of My Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/2.8 GB usable).
>
> The PC is Dell Inpirson 530.  The only BIOS setting applicable to this
> is:
> DVMT Mode:  FIXED, DVMT (DVMT by default)
> DVMT/FIXED Memory Size:  128 MB, 256 MB, MAX (128 MB by default)
>
> Looked up DVMT on the web, doesn't seem change the setting will help.
>

> Thanks.

0
Charlie
5/16/2010 2:20:38 PM
You wouldn't waste money if you install 4GB REGARDLESS of Windows (starting
w/Vista) or hardware (starting w/post-2006) you have, but you can do more,
read my article:
*****

As you know from Electrical Engineering basics, theoretical memory space is
defined by the address bus width.  In a binary system it's simply 2^N where
N is the address width.
In plain English:
If your Windows is 32-bit it can theoretically manage 2^32 = 4GB.
If your hardware (e.g. Intel945 chipset?) is 32 bit but Windows is 64 bit,
or hardware is 64bit but Windows is 32 bit it's still 4GB as obviously the
lower address width limits the system, and disregards 64 bit elsewhere.

The practical numbers are somewhat different:
a) Windows 32-bit claims a whopping 0.75GB for itself ("untouchable" by
you - the user) due to I/O overhead in a 4GB memory space leaving you with
ONLY 3.25GB of usable memory
Too long to explain but just accept it as a fact - almost a Gigabyte is
eaten by the BIOS, I/O, etc. memory addresses your applications cannot use.
b) On the upside you can go over 4GB EVEN in a 32-bit Windows if this
Windows is a Server, and not a Client version.
There's a 99.9% chance you running a Client and not Server Windows, so your
usable memory is therefore:
3.25GB  But I don't know exactly what Win version you run, so you can
calculate by understanding this article, i.e if you're so advanced as to
have Windows SERVER edition, then even in 32-bit configuration it can "page"
more than 4GB.

Now why I say you didn't waste money.
How much did you pay for 4GB and how much WOULD you pay for 3GB?  The
$dollar difference as of September2009 is NOT worth any regret.
You'd lose pennies, stop worrying & have at least 4GB.  Also better if you
install memory modules "symmetrically" which, as a consequence, also means
you'd have an even number of memory units.
In plain English, it's better to install two modules 2GB+2GB = 4GB, than
2GB+1GB = 3GB which is assymetric, although such may not longer be of any
importance for new computers, in the past it was an issue.  Still I
recommend not to play with assymetry for DDR2 memory, I don't know about
DDR3 and this example covers 4GB.  You might have 4GB+4GB=8GB for example,
for 64-bit Windows AND 64-bit hardware as a requirement.
Why would anyone need 8GB?  Well, I even need MORE - 16GB for
CAD/Engineering & Graphics design work, so I can lots of memory running
heavy-duty engineering simulations.
Plus it stimulates industry (but hurts environment) heheh....

So memory space is defined by 3 factors:
OS bit width
Hardware bitwidth
Whether your Windows addressing is using virtuial/paging/etc to bypass
normal addressing limted to 2^N - i.e. is it a regular Win Client or Server,
and how much your Windows wastes for itself (overhead)
I am not likely to check your further questions, so dont ask :)  I am too
busy, maybe others will help more.
Just get 4GB and be done with it.

BUT IF YOU NEED 1GB+1GB MODULES = 2GB of laptop, DDR667 speed memory, let me
know - I can ship for free (you just pay shipping by Post Office in USA or
abroad), I removed them and replaced with 8GB on my laptop.  I am too lazy
to write ads and sell it, just take for free.  I maybe back here to check
your response for thsi reason only.

0
Stan
5/16/2010 5:10:54 PM
As Charlie posted. This has to do with the setting in your Bios. If your Bios is old
and it does not have that setting for you to change then either find the Update for
your Bios or if not available change to an Updated one

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit,
> available memory is shown as 3.3GB.  I asked on usenet and was told
> that only under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.
>
> When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit (I did clean install of
> course), but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB.
> This is show in both task manager under performance->Physical
> memory->total, and 'property of My Computer'->Installed memory
> (4GB/3.3 GB usable)
>
> Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available?
>
> It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own video
> RAM. This video card may not have its own memory.
>
> Now I just replaced a new video card with 512 MB of its own memory,
> the memory available becomes 2.8GB.  Again, this is shown  in both
> task manager under performance->Physical memory->total, and 'property
> of My Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/2.8 GB usable).
>
> The PC is Dell Inpirson 530.  The only BIOS setting applicable to this
> is:
> DVMT Mode:  FIXED, DVMT (DVMT by default)
> DVMT/FIXED Memory Size:  128 MB, 256 MB, MAX (128 MB by default)
>
> Looked up DVMT on the web, doesn't seem change the setting will help.
>

> Thanks.

0
Peter
5/16/2010 5:49:38 PM
Peter,

You're excellent.  Your expertise continues to help so many Windows users.

May the Lord richly bless you.
0
Stan
5/16/2010 7:00:55 PM
First off are you absolutely sure you are running 64bit??

<someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit,
> available memory is shown as 3.3GB.  I asked on usenet and was told
> that only under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.
>
> When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit (I did clean install of
> course), but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB.
> This is show in both task manager under performance->Physical
> memory->total, and 'property of My Computer'->Installed memory
> (4GB/3.3 GB usable)
>
> Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available?
>
> It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own video
> RAM. This video card may not have its own memory.
>
> Now I just replaced a new video card with 512 MB of its own memory,
> the memory available becomes 2.8GB.  Again, this is shown  in both
> task manager under performance->Physical memory->total, and 'property
> of My Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/2.8 GB usable).
>
> The PC is Dell Inpirson 530.  The only BIOS setting applicable to this
> is:
> DVMT Mode:  FIXED, DVMT (DVMT by default)
> DVMT/FIXED Memory Size:  128 MB, 256 MB, MAX (128 MB by default)
>
> Looked up DVMT on the web, doesn't seem change the setting will help.
>

> Thanks.

0
Drew
5/16/2010 11:31:01 PM
On 17/05/2010 00:31, Drew wrote:

> First off are you absolutely sure you are running 64bit??
>
> <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit,
>> available memory is shown as 3.3GB. I asked on usenet and was told
>> that only under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.
>>
>> When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit (I did clean install of
>> course), but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB.
>> This is show in both task manager under performance->Physical
>> memory->total, and 'property of My Computer'->Installed memory
>> (4GB/3.3 GB usable)
>>
>> Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available?
>>
>> It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own video
>> RAM. This video card may not have its own memory.
>>
>> Now I just replaced a new video card with 512 MB of its own memory,
>> the memory available becomes 2.8GB. Again, this is shown in both
>> task manager under performance->Physical memory->total, and 'property
>> of My Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/2.8 GB usable).
>>
>> The PC is Dell Inpirson 530. The only BIOS setting applicable to this
>> is:
>> DVMT Mode: FIXED, DVMT (DVMT by default)
>> DVMT/FIXED Memory Size: 128 MB, 256 MB, MAX (128 MB by default)
>>
>> Looked up DVMT on the web, doesn't seem change the setting will help.
>>

>> Thanks.

Hello

I would double check that your running 64bit as the symptons you
describe say that it isnt.

on the Globe on the task bar right click on My Computer and select
properties. And post what it says under System Type.

Mike

--
Regards Mike
MSCE, CCNA, Network+, A+, RHCE.

"Stan Starinski" <China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote in
message news:unkqlnS9KHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Peter,
>
> You're excellent.  Your expertise continues to help so many Windows users.
>
> May the Lord richly bless you.

May you psychiatrist richly restrain you.

0
Heywood
5/17/2010 9:31:16 PM
God bless us.

May the Lord keep blessing you until you're thoroughly blessed.

Have a nice day.

P.S. Keep warm as Ice Age is coming.
0
Stan
5/18/2010 12:40:36 AM
Hi,
Here's the fix:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R181000&SystemID=INSP_DSKTP_D530&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=14390&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=5&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=246767

As of BIOS 1.0.12 the 4GB RAM issue was solved.
Here's the changelog:
Systems: Dell Insprion 530/530s
Version: 1.0.12
Build Date: 03/01/2008

Fixes/Enhancements:
1. Add support for new Intel CPU.
2. Update to latest microcodes.
3. Improve POST time with internal USB Card Reader & Buffalo USB HDD
combination.
4. Correct Memory Map for => 4GB configurations

The latest applicable BIOS is version 1.0.18 (March 2009) and can be found
here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R212148&SystemID=INSP_DSKTP_D530&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=14390&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=9&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=299050

Please make sure that these BIOSes match exactly your PC model.
Carlos

"someone@somewhere.com" wrote:

> I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit,
> available memory is shown as 3.3GB.  I asked on usenet and was told
> that only under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB.
>
> When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit (I did clean install of
> course), but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB.
> This is show in both task manager under performance->Physical
> memory->total, and 'property of My Computer'->Installed memory
> (4GB/3.3 GB usable)
>
> Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available?
>
> It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own video
> RAM. This video card may not have its own memory.
>
> Now I just replaced a new video card with 512 MB of its own memory,
> the memory available becomes 2.8GB.  Again, this is shown  in both
> task manager under performance->Physical memory->total, and 'property
> of My Computer'->Installed memory (4GB/2.8 GB usable).
>
> The PC is Dell Inpirson 530.  The only BIOS setting applicable to this
> is:
> DVMT Mode:  FIXED, DVMT (DVMT by default)
> DVMT/FIXED Memory Size:  128 MB, 256 MB, MAX (128 MB by default)
>
> Looked up DVMT on the web, doesn't seem change the setting will help.
>

> Thanks.
> .

Quicken 10 and the Money Converter
I picked up a copy of Quicken 10 at BJ's last evening and used the converter to import my Money Plus file. On my second try all my accounts and transactions transferred to Quicken successfully and the accounts balanced to the penny. On my first attempt about a 100 transactions were not imported because I omitted the Security name in some Investment transactions dated back in the early 90's, I corrected the problem in Money, re-imported again and the problem was solved. I did get several Truncated Field notices but I will review them at another time. Considering that my data goe...

An XML question

Totals on Sales Inquiry native windows
We would like to have the totals on the Sales Inquiries: Transaction by Customer Transaction by Document Sales Documents Sales Items Today we can retrieve this information in separated inquiries and reports, be we would like to heve a easier way to see this totals... The same suggest can be applied to Smartlist. If possible, you can create a tool to sum a field after you make a filter I created a screen where you can see all sales, separated by day of week, and week of year, and totals YTD,MTD and WTD, but I am not able to have the same information grouped by item number, for example.....

curriculum 02-01-10
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CAA41B.46E02F50 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit contatos:91893727/34467616 ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CAA41B.46E02F50 Content-Type: application/msword; name="CURRICULUM VITAE.doc" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="CURRICULUM VITAE.doc" 0M8R4KGxGuEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPgADAP7/CQAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAQQAAAAAAAAAA EAAAQwAAAAEAAAD+////AAAAAEAAAAD...

posters #3
i am working with publisher 2003 , a table top document was given to me and i am trying to make it into a poster. i have a hp plotter printer with a 24 inch wide roll, how do i step by step convert the 8 X 11 document into a poster 24 inch wide 36 inch height, in portrait mode how do you enlarge that document to make a poster??? Convert it to a PDF file would be one way. Do you have the means to create PDF files? -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "viejo58" <viejo58@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1448B0C8-4F39-49F0-A553-0CD4F79D83C9@mi...

re-installation of CRM 3.0. Best practice?
Due to extreme slowdown problems, I have decided to re-install CRM, this time on a VMWare image. I will install both the CRM and SQL 2005 on the same image, without touching the current CRM installation (which has become extremely slow, due to an undefined reason). Is there a way to use the existing CRM db as is, or at least migrate it to the new installation? The point is not to lose the data (accounts, contacts, etc.) that we have in our (faulty) CRM system. Similarly, we have Outllook laptop (offline) clients. How can we reconfigure them, so that they point to the new CRM system? Any...

Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again.
OUTLOOK 2000, ERROR MESSAGE: Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again. This happens when creating a new email and clicking on the paperclip button on the outlook bar (inserting an file/attchment). I did a search in the knowledge base for Outlook 2000 but it came up with "When attempting to open an encrypted message ...". It's the same error only I'm trying to insert an attachment not open an encrypted message. I've already tried doing a "Detect and Repair" but that's never seemed to work for any issues my Outlook h...

Sort #3
I want to be able to sort a whole row of cells as one group. How do I do that? Let me know if I need to explain myself better. -- mykaltx ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mykaltx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22055 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=529259 You would need to concatenate the cells into a help column like =A3&B3&C3&D3&E3&F3&etc then select the whole table including the help column and sort by the help column -- Regards, Peo...

Setting ID# to 1 & Total on bottom of query result
Hi, I have 2 separate questions. First how do I set the ID# to 1 for the first record. I copied my whole database including queries and forms which were 2009 records and changed the titles to 2010. I did a "compact and repair" to the 2010 database. But when I start to enter records for 2010 the ID# is 2550. How can I reset the ID# back to start at 1? On many of my queries I have the results be for example 28 Caucation, 43 African American, 65 Hispanic, 4 Asian, 2 Native American. I need these numbers separate like they are but I would like a total line at the bottom...

Win98 memory bottleneck for using XML in MSDE2000
Used to read newsgroup for answers, now have to ask for them as well. I have an application (C#, .NET 1.1) that connects to local db on MSDE 2000 SP3a (using ADO from MDAC 2.71) on one side and to a web service on the other (not relevant I guess). Some stored procedures consume xml produced by DataSet objects (values as elements) using OPENXML statements. The application should be distributed among users having also Win98. Established that I require min 128 MB of physical memory to run it. However on Win98 I need to set 'min server memory' value to 128 otherwise even small OPENXML st...

total cost on report
I have areport with a cost field that I would like to total that collum at the end of the report. How do I do this ? do I need to create another field (total) please help thanks, jettro Jettron wrote: >I have areport with a cost field that I would like to total that collum at >the end of the report. How do I do this ? do I need to create another field >(total) The usual way is to use a text box with an expression like: =Sum([cost field]) -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] I'm in design view of the report, where do I insert this expression? I clicked on page footer to insert thi...

Conditional Formatting more than 3?
Excel 2000 ... Conditional formatting ... an abosolutely wonderful feature, but why limited to 3 conditions? Is there a way around this? I have a Tab Sheet containing 16 monthly Calendars (dates set by formula) ... These Calendars contain a target date based on date entered into another cell ... Within the Calendar I use Conditional Formatting to high-lite: All dates ... (Format White) ... (Condition 1) Target date ... (Format Yellow) ... (Condition 2) Above said ... I have various +/- tollerance windows around each target date (+/- window is ... 5, 14, 27, & 55 days) ... I have ...

Outlook Inbox #7
When I try to click on my Inbox in Outlook, I briefly see the emails in my inbox and then popnav.com immediately displays. What's going on? How can I get in to my inbox? http://www.computercops.biz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=65909 --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Mike <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | When I try to click on my Inbox in Outlook, I briefly see | the emails in my inbox and then popnav.com immediately | displays....

Finding Cells that Total a Value
Hello Friends, I need some assistance in solving a problem. I have a spreadsheet with over five hundred lines of transactions. The sum of these transactions are creating a balance on the account. Is there any formula/macro that will help me find the transactions creating the balance? The sum of the account should be zero. To clarify, if we owe client money, there would be a transaction setting up that postive balance then a payment on the account taking it back to zero. There could be multiple transactions and then one net payment. Or we could be due to receive. So at the end of the day, th...

Memory Management Problem?
Forgive my rather wide posting of this note, but I was uncertain of where I would find the best help. I am working on a class that is basically providing a secure location for name/value pairs to be stored by the application. I am using TripleDES encryption and having a very odd problem that appears to be related to a memory management issue in the CLR. I have the 1.1 .NET Framework installed and I am using VS.NET 2002. I have a class whose definition begins like so: Public Class cSecureConfigFile ' internal constants Private Const BASE_XML As String = "XML crap here" ...

3.0 laptop client fails to connect
Installed laptop client against Outlook 2003 sp2. No errors on install. It even connected on the first time. I've uninstalled and installed many times. Here's a log excerpt: # CRM Tracing Version 1.1 Unmanaged # LocalTime: 2006-02-08 16:59:30.987 # Categories: *:Verbose # Schedule: Hourly # ComputerName: LT-JJB # CRMVersion: 3.0.5300.0 [2006-02-08 16:59:30.987] Process:OUTLOOK |Thread:1004 |Category: Unmanaged.Platform |User: PlatformUser |Level: Error | Reading registry key BusinessId failed Function: FReadWzRegKeyValue File: c:\crmv3rtm\src\application\outlook\addin\common.cpp L...

Total Items
Hi - Is there a way to get a total number of items that are about to be tendered, on the POS screen ? Thanks. You can customize the status.htm file. Not sure exactly what the variable is that you want, but I know it cn be done. "NJS" <NJS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:538F3CC7-F23D-43C7-8A5A-4319B8688E5B@microsoft.com... > Hi - > Is there a way to get a total number of items that are about to be > tendered, > on the POS screen ? > Thanks. Jason, Send me your email I have already customized this and will forward you. "Jason&qu...

remote uninstall using ARD 3
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, I am using Apple Remote Desktop 3 and trying to deploy software and remove software and have begun testing with Office 08. I managed to find the install portion but noticed there are issues removing the Office 08. Is there a way to run a "Send a UNIX command" to remove the Office 08 entirely? How would I find similar uninstall commands for other applications? Thanks for you help. Kent. <kyee@officeformac.com> wrote: Hi, > Hi, I am using Apple Remote Desktop 3 and trying to deploy softwa...

Windows 98 Hanging-up after startup
After restart of the machine in windows 98 it run for about a couple of seconds and then locke up. And after having run several different virus programs none of which has corrected the problem, and I tried re-imaging the machine, and resurface the entire hard drive and no luck. What is there left to do? "The Doctor is in for service" <The Doctor is in for service @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<B2B5DBD3-A1D8-45EB-8A31-E352B4759841@microsoft.com>... > After restart of the machine in windows 98 it run for about a couple of > seconds and then ...

Manipulating totals and columns in Pivot Tables
Hi, I'm constructing a pivot table that has investors as columns, investments as rows, and the general data is values. Trouble is there is a column which I want to only display half of each value. I know that I can make a formula that divides a column "column A/2", and then hide the unwanted columns. But I would also like the hidden columns to not be included in the grand totals. How do I make this happen? Thanks! Hi, So let me understand what you want, something like this in the Pivot Table: A B C Name Jp ...

SHARED CALENDARS #3
Hi. I want to kown if I can predetermine in outlook or in exchange that when a user starts outlook, all users shared calendars will be abaliable in calendars of other people, and don't have to add one by one. Tanks. JP <aspento_quitar_para_correo_@arrakis.es> wrote: > Hi. I want to kown if I can predetermine in outlook or in exchange > that when a user starts outlook, all users shared calendars will be > abaliable in calendars of other people, and don't have to add one by > one. Tanks. Hi - see the reply to your previous post. ...

Total of Totals
Hey there, I've set up a database consisting of four tables. I run a query which calculates a total for the item (unit price * quantity). Is it possible to calculate the final total of all this for a report? If that's possible, how can I get it to be at the bottom of all the records but only on the last page? Thanks Mathew On Aug 1, 12:48 am, KARL DEWEY <KARLDE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Yes. > Open the form in design view, click on menu VIEW - Report Header/Footer a= nd > add a text box in the footer with Control Source =3D[unit price] * > [quantit...

tool to see which add-ons using the most memory?
If I see IE memory usage growing far beyond normal, is there a tool I can run to see how much memory various IE add-ons are using, and whether the abnormal memory consumption is caused by one of them? From the point of view of Task Manager, obviously, all the memory is just being used by "iexplore.exe" and it doesn't say what portion is due to what add-on. (The memory spikes happen infrequently enough, that I can't just disable the different add-ons one at a time to see which one is causing the problem, because it takes too long to wait for the next memory spike to...

Vertical Text #3
wondering how to change text in Row A(first row) so that it is rotated 90 degrees Counter clockwise go to Format-->Cells and on the alignment tab rotate the text as desired. HTH, Katherine "G" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:060601c3afd7$f8740b90$a301280a@phx.gbl... > wondering how to change text in Row A(first row) so that > it is rotated 90 degrees Counter clockwise Select row1 Click Format > Cells > Alignment tab Under Orientation: either click inside the "half-clock" to move the Text pointer to point straight up...

check box #7
Hello Is it possible to have a x when the checkbox is on and not a "v" I use Excel 2003 thanks You may want to rephrase this question. (I'm confused by what you mean and maybe others are, too.) starfighter61 wrote: > > Hello > Is it possible to have a x when the checkbox is on and not a "v" > > I use Excel 2003 > > thanks -- Dave Peterson ...