Silent Failure of Applications

I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although something happens
nearly every day to make me want to go back to XP Pro x64 :-(

The latest event is the silent failure of an application to run. It has
been working for weeks but last night it just didn't run (it's kicked off
by the task scheduler). I then discovered it wouldn't run manually either.
I re-booted and all is well again, for how long I don't know.

There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see - although that's
almost impossible to find your way around.

I also found this morning that another app - one I am writing in VS 2008 -
also failed silently instead of throwing up an error message.

Is this silent failure a feature of Win7?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

Jeff Gaines wrote:
> I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although something
> happens nearly every day to make me want to go back to XP Pro x64
> :-(
> The latest event is the silent failure of an application to run. It
> has been working for weeks but last night it just didn't run (it's
> kicked off by the task scheduler). I then discovered it wouldn't
> run manually either. I re-booted and all is well again, for how
> long I don't know.
> There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see - although
> that's almost impossible to find your way around.
>
> I also found this morning that another app - one I am writing in VS
> 2008 - also failed silently instead of throwing up an error message.
>
> Is this silent failure a feature of Win7?

What is the first application?

The second - you may want to review the code - if the first is also
something you wrote - same difference.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
7/8/2010 11:41:11 AM

It's SmartSync Pro from http://www.smartsync.com/

>The second - you may want to review the code - if the first is also
>something you wrote - same difference.

I live in VS2008 :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
Jeff Gaines wrote:
> It's SmartSync Pro from http://www.smartsync.com/
>
> I live in VS2008 :-)

You may live in VS2008, but you are taking it to visit a completely new
country in Windows 7.  ;-)  The differences in security alone can mess with
the simplest of scripts to the most complicated of applications.

For SmartSync - if you live in VS2008 - you must know that just because
something stops working, doesn't mean it will make an event log entry or
tell you why.  It has to be programmed to do so *or* the issue had to be
caused by something else that was programmed to tell you when it encountered
issues.  If you are getting no indications of why a certain program did not
run - I would first investigate the application more closely.

Are you running the latest version?
- Current Version: 3.1 (Build 104 I believe)
- Date of Release: March 29, 2010

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
7/8/2010 12:48:13 PM
On 7/8/2010 6:57 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although
> something happens nearly every day to make me want to go
> back to XP Pro x64 :-(
>
> The latest event is the silent failure of an application to
> run. It has been working for weeks but last night it just
> didn't run (it's kicked off by the task scheduler). I then
> discovered it wouldn't run manually either. I re-booted and
> all is well again, for how long I don't know.
>
> There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see -
> although that's almost impossible to find your way around.
>
> I also found this morning that another app - one I am
> writing in VS 2008 - also failed silently instead of
> throwing up an error message.
>
> Is this silent failure a feature of Win7?

I had this happen with plain old Epson scanning software
where I definitely had the 64 bit drivers from Epson.
Rebooted and ok.

Then I've had part of a program essentially disappear on
several occasions.  It's a database scheduling program for
accounts.  The first window always works - where the
contacts are actually listed.  However, the actuall
scheduling window just opens blank and freezes.  Here
rebooting doesn't work and I need to restore a backup.  That
seems to fix it, but I've no idea why it happens ......

These events are what I've run into in one week of running 7
Prof 64 bit - I expect there's more to come :)

Louise
0
louise

CTreeCtrl, CDialogBar, MDI application, and messages
I have an MFC application (MDI based) with a CDialogBar-derived class (CLeftBar) and on it is a CTreeCtrl. The CLeftBar is drawn in CMainFrame (which I am assuming is the 'core' of the program). Since I want all the data and controlling to be done froma central place, and CMainFrame looks to be where I want it, how to I get the messages from the CTreeCtrl to CLeftBar passed to CMainFrame? This seems like the most logical way to handle it, as doubleclicks on branches on the tree will spawn new view windows. jorj Jordon Hofer wrote: > I have an MFC application (MDI based) with ...

cross administrative move mailbox failure
Moved mailbox from one administrative group to another with success. However, trying to move it back produces event id 1008, there is no such object on the server. Also an event id 9164 appears and indicates my front end server name, not the backend. All attributes appear to be correct in ADSI edit; nothing pointing to front end server. Exchange 2003 sp1 mixed mode. The mailbox can be moved to another database in the same administrative group. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Custom Referral application
Hi, I am a .net developer and i need to add some custom functionality in RMS. this is what i basically need, it's kind of a referral program. The store wants to issue some referral card(s) may be 10,20 or more to certain customers. each of these card will have some number given to it say 100,101,etc. These customers will then distribute these cards to other people. When the new customer comes in with the card and makes some purchase those transactions needs to be recorded against the customer who gave them the referral cards based on the card number. Finally the store wants to issu...

SENT MESSAGE FAILURE
My sent messages go to momentarily to the outbox and then to the sent mail folder but never arrive at destination. Incoming messages work fine. I can send messages successfully from SBC YAHOO MAIL or JUNO. ...

Sending failure
Has anyone seen this before? I searched technet and the MS online help, and don't get any hits. I can't figure out what's causing this error. I'm hoping it's on the receiver's end, but I can't tell for sure what's causing it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: meeting Sent: 1/23/2004 3:42 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'blah@microsoft.com' on 1/23/2004 3:42 PM 473 blah@microsoft.com relaying prohi...

Exciter: Custom Excel Applications!
If anyone is interested in a new site offering custom-built excel macros for every use, please visit www.exciter.gr. We offer good quality tools, priced by the project and not by the hour. Please visit www.exciter.gr to download demos and learn more. ...

Server Error in '/OMA' Applications issue sort of resolved...
I had an error (at end of this message) which was 'resolved' by following KB823265. The error disappeared but whenever I browse to http://myserver/owa I get a blank webpage. Does anyone have any ideas on this, becuase I can't find any documentation on OMA which says anything but 'It just works'. I have Win2k3, Ex2K3, I also have SPS2.0 installed which appears to cause problems with OMA. Cheers Simon "Simon Middlemiss" <bob@flemming.net> wrote: >I had an error (at end of this message) which was 'resolved' by following >KB823265. ...

Silent/Unattended installs
Does Great plains support this? If so, where would I find the docs on this? Specificly on the Client install piece. "Leroy Brown" wrote: > Does Great plains support this? If so, where would I find the docs on this? ...

Q: Viewing PDF in an MFC application
Hi Can anybody tell me, or direct me to a site, which shows how to display a PDF document in a view of an MFC application? Thanks David In message <3f7abd34$0$6631$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, David Jones <dave@ymchwil.NODAMNSPAM.com> writes >Hi > >Can anybody tell me, or direct me to a site, which shows how to display a >PDF document in a view of an MFC application? I can't, but if type PDF and DLL library into google you will most likely get some hits for vendors that sell toolkits that allow you to do just this. I looked into this about 6 months ago f...

Maximising a SDI application at startup
I'm guessing this is a really easy question. I want my application to be maximised when it is executed. At present in the PreCreateWindow(), i'm setting cs.cx and cs.cy to appropriately large values. However, I'm sure there must be a better way. What's wrong with setting cx and cy in PrecreateWindow ? Anyway, this works BOOL CMainFrame::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs) { RECT screen; SystemParametersInfo ( SPI_GETWORKAREA, 0, & screen, 0 ); cs.cx = screen.right; cs.cy = screen.bottom; cs.y = screen.top; cs.x = screen.left; return CFrameWnd...

Silent Failure of Applications
I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although something happens nearly every day to make me want to go back to XP Pro x64 :-( The latest event is the silent failure of an application to run. It has been working for weeks but last night it just didn't run (it's kicked off by the task scheduler). I then discovered it wouldn't run manually either. I re-booted and all is well again, for how long I don't know. There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see - although that's almost impossible to find your way around. I also found this morning ...

How to get the registry location for an application specific det
Hi, I want to capture all the registry data for any application. How can I find out the location in the registry where an application stores its information? One way is finding out the node in registry under HEY_CURRENT_USER\Software with node name equal to application name. But here its not guaranteed that all application would store the information in a node with the same name as application name. For instance for an application with name "Adobe Reader 6.0" stores the information is under a node with name "Acrobat Reader". Though both texts are very similar they d...

silent install visio
Hi all, I'm trying to do a silent install of visio when deploying other applications that requires visio drawing control. It seems that this command "setup.exe /qn PIDKEY=*yourproductkey* INSTALLLEVEL=20" should do a auto typical install (required for .net applications with drawing control), but it doesn't really seemed to work correctly. I am having Exception Errors whenever i launched my drawing control application. Is there anything wrong with my command? KengYuen ...

how to make Excel application GUI look better?
Hi all, I am not a professional software developer, nor a GUI designer. I need help in improving the GUI of my Excel spreadsheet application. I currently have a few cells that user put their inputs, and then 4 buttons in an array that they can choose to click and execute. That's it. I feel the spreadsheet environment makes it look very dull. Do you guys also feel that with a few cells and a few bare buttons in Excel, the GUI is very dull? How to make it look better? Any sample GUIs, and good websites that I can learn from? Thanks a lot! cfman, At the very least, you can use ...

Silent installation of Outlook 2002
Hi, I need to install Outlook 2002 in silent mode. Is there any command which can install only outlook and not the complete office suite? Thanks Varun I think (but could be wrong) that as Outlook is part of the suite if you select 'custom install' it should give you the option to select which parts of the suite you want to install "varun" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081301c3b988$918fb130$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I need to install Outlook 2002 in silent mode. Is there > any command which can install only outlook an...

Microsoft Money
To whom it may concern, and to all those who'll find and read this as it becomes posted at Quicken's website, Newsrooms/Blogs and Communities of Interest across the Internet: The purpose of this correspondence is to convince anyone who reads it to stop using Microsoft Money and find a viable alternative before they suffer a similar experience. I've purchased almost every release of Microsoft Money since it became generally available. My problems began when we converted from MS Money 2003 to 2004. After opening a trouble ticket with MS support, they informed me my backup f...

vb6 form in an Excel application
Hello, I'm using a Vb6 form in an Excel application. The problem is that the VB6 compiled form minimizes automatically when selecting a cell in the active sheet Is there a possibility to maintain the form visible on the screen Thanks I've submitted the question to Excel prog group, but no answer so far Avi "avi" <aviben@bezeqint.net.il> wrote in message news:9655b6ce-d94e-4fd4-998e-712bb850acb8@u22g2000yqf.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > I'm using a Vb6 form in an Excel application. The problem is that the > VB6 compiled form minimizes...

Help With A Spreadsheet for a silent auction
I am trying to create a spreadsheet to help with a silent auction. What I would like to do is enter the winners bidder number as well as the winning bid in 2 columns corresponding to the item number. I originally thought of creating an individual work sheet for each item, then just entering the bidder number and winning bid in to each sheet and having the formula search through all the sheets. Either way, I need to then search through the information I have put in so that I can easily gather the total amount a bidder has spent, as well as the item numbers that they have won. ...

hyperlink an excel cell to a specific location wthin application f
how can I hyperlink an excel cell to a specific outlook contact? I don't believe this is possible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dirtboy" <dirtboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F33BD88A-D5B0-4C48-8F2B-46BC271D70A8@microsoft.com... > how can I hyperlink an excel cell to a specific outlook > contact? ...

Database failure
Hello all. Here is the problem I have an Access 2k3 db size approx 1.4GB, was doing a compact/repair on it when it said there was not enough disk space to complete the operation and to remove or move some files...... After this the datbase shut down and now cannot be opened. Gives the error "The Microsoft Jet cannot open the file as you and another user are trying to change the same data at the same time. If I try to compact/repair I get the same error. I cannot import the data from the damaged db to a new db, Even used command line still same error. Have tried all common secenario...

Win7 GP Mysterious Failure
Ok, had this happen a few times. Dynamics GP 10 on Windows 7 Enterprise machine. Both cases the user is off doing something else. They come back to their desk and find that GP has mysteriously encountered some error and requires closing. Anyone seen the same thing happen. I have no useful data other than GP recording an app failure but no reason. too random just turn on logging because it just happens to 1 person out of 15 every couple of months. I've experienced something similar with GP2010 beta and Win7 Pro. GP seems to close itself but when I go back to login again, it sh...

Office 2004 applics won't run after Install

Kill Excel silently
Hi, I batch file that queries a database and creates a flat file. I want to start Excel, make graph of the data and save it as an htm file. I then want to get out of Excel. I want to do this automatically twice daily (eg at midnight). I use Scheduled tasks and a macro to start Excel and create the graph But Excel won't quit so I've set the ask Scheduler to stop Excel afte 1 minute. Here's the problem ... I get a message saying that Excel has terminate unexpectedly and would I like to send an Error Report to Microsoft?! I cannot turn this message off no matter what Service I st...

How to make our window stay on top of all other applications (like modal).
Hi, I want to make one of my small preview window on top. That window should be on top of all other applications (at least should be on top of my main application.) So, if I minimize my main application that window should also get minimized. and I should be able to work in my main application. Because this on top window is just for preview purpose.. the work will be done in the main window.. If i make this window modal dialog, I am not able to work in main application as i have to close modal dialog first. So, is there any API which enables me to show non-modal dialog but it still comes on to...

Citibank Credit Card login failure
I recently changed my userid on my Citicards website and did the same on Money Plus, but somehow Money doesn't seem to be able to access the website anymore to download data. I can still login directly thru my browser. -- RobS In microsoft.public.money, Rob Saripalli wrote: >I recently changed my userid on my Citicards website and did the same on >Money Plus, but somehow Money doesn't seem to be able to access the website >anymore to download data. I can still login directly thru my browser. Normally the Money access to Citicards is thru a direct OFX connection. Go to...