Safe way to exchange Users folder to another HD

Hi all,

windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal HD
(E: with data)(500 Gb).

is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\Users and not having
a pain in the a... with problems of: "not found", "impossible to add new
users", etc.

could be fine a step by step guide of how to do it, and thing that not has
to be done.

Thanks, Corsair.

0
Corsair
7/7/2010 10:59:17 AM
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Corsair wrote:
> windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal
> HD (E: with data)(500 Gb).
>
> is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\Users and not
> having a pain in the a... with problems of: "not found",
> "impossible to add new users", etc.
>
> could be fine a step by step guide of how to do it, and thing that
> not has to be done.

100% way?  Format and change the location of those things with an unattended
installation.  I believe any other method would be unsupported to move *all*
of the USERS stuff.

Folder Redirection for stuff is an option - but is per user in what looks
like to be your case and only certain folders can be done.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
7/7/2010 12:19:41 PM
Corsario,
I have found a couple of options here:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/91aa8b26-2b09-4e56-955c-679b297832e1/
Carlos

"Corsair" <corsair63@gmail.com> wrote in

> Hi all,
>
> windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal HD
> (E: with data)(500 Gb).
>
> is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\Users and not
> having a pain in the a... with problems of: "not found", "impossible
> to add new users", etc.
>
> could be fine a step by step guide of how to do it, and thing that not
> has to be done.

I did it, but it wasn't easy, and don't have a link.  I THINK I found it
on the OCZ website, but I'm not 100% sure.

What I did, was make a exact copy of the user directory on the second
drive (used a backup program to get ALL files), then booted in safe mode,
renamed the user directory, then created a NTFS symbolic link (see
mklink) from C:\Users to E:\Users.    Has been working fine for about 9
months.

 /                David Simpson                  \
|             dsimpson@NOnyxSPAM.net              |
|          http://www.nyx.net/~dsimpson           |
|We got to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero.|
 \_______________________________________________/
0
David
7/7/2010 1:55:15 PM
thanks Carlos,

I've seen something similar, but there was sometimes unclear, this link
looks like much more clear to do it, I'll try,
but with one computer in the tech service and I don´t know why the fault,
I'm little care with doing right now things ;-)

If I'll do something in the next few days I'll post the result.

Corsair

"Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje de
noticias:4CBED7A2-6311-4AE4-879A-64D89C51FE65@microsoft.com...
> Corsario,
> I have found a couple of options here:
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/91aa8b26-2b09-4e56-955c-679b297832e1/
> Carlos
>
> "Corsair" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal HD
>> (E: with data)(500 Gb).
>>
>> is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\Users and not
>> having
>> a pain in the a... with problems of: "not found", "impossible to add new
>> users", etc.
>>
>> could be fine a step by step guide of how to do it, and thing that not
>> has
>> to be done.
>>

>> Thanks, Corsair.

0
Corsair

Exchange 2003 outlook 2003 mail sent but still listed in outbox.
Server, windows 2003 with sp1 with exchange 2003 with sp2 The client running windows xp sp 2 with office 2003 sp2 is sending emails, this works fine, except the mail is listed in the outbox, the recipent already has recieved the mail but for the sender it appears not to have been sent. The mail can be listed for several minutes before it goes away. This is a big problem because the have third party program that register the sent email when it is no more listed in the outbox. If the sender click anywhere in the mail box, e.g. change from inbox to outbox, the listed mail dissapears from the lis...

leave copy of email msg on exchange server
When using Outlook 2003 with an Exchange server, where do you make the setting to leave a copy of the email on the server for viewing via web access? Don't use a PST file for delivery or use POP to connect to your Exchange mailbox, and your data will always be in your mailbox on the server, and hence visible in OWA. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > When using Outlook 2003 with an Exchange server, where do > you make the setting to leave a copy of the email on the > server for viewing via web access? anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions...

adjust the way you read your email
what do I do so I can see my contacts on the left side of screen and read email on the right instead top and bottom? > what do I do so I can see my contacts on the left side of screen and read > email on the right instead top and bottom? use a graphic card or LC display which can rotate the screen image by 180° You can open contacts in their own window, then adjust the two windows so they are side-by-side. Seems like a waste of screen real estate since there is no need to see contacts all the time. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support....

Save each file in a folder as a filtered HTML file and also as a PDF file
I submitted this to the word.programming but wonder if this is the right NG. I need to open each file (.doc) that is in a certain folder and then save it both as a filtered HTML and also as a PDF. I wonder if that can be automated somehow. I have no idea how to program word so I'm afraid that I could spend much time learning how to, only to find out it can't be done. If it is a reasonable thing to do I'd really appreciate a sample of something similar so I can get orientated and know what to look up. Thank in advance Answered in the other group! ...

Exchange server crashed/restarted
All - W2K3 SP1/ E2K3 SP2 - came into work today and noticed that the box had rebooted. Event ID 1076 was logged: ***************************** The reason supplied by user OURDOMAIN\Administrator for the last unexpected shutdown of this computer is: System Failure: Stop error Reason Code: 0x805000f Bug ID: Bugcheck String: 0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0xe08977a0, 0xbe000300, 0x20020151) Comment: 0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0xe08977a0, 0xbe000300, 0x20020151) ****************************** Also Event ID 6008: ****************************** The previous system shutdown at 12:15:32 PM on 25/04/200...

Best way to assign data validation?
Column C either contains Item ID numbers or on some rows is merged across to Col. F to contain a text label. I need to ensure a Group ID is in Col. B if an Item ID is in Col. C. I can't use "blank", because it picks up the text label. What is the best way to assign a data validation to this? Or should I try a VBA solution? Ed Don't include the text labels when you assign validation. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e34UKaj$EHA.4004@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Column C either contains Item ID numbers o...

is it safe
is it safe to delete $NtUninstallKB....$ folders? "mjurado" wrote: > is it safe to delete $NtUninstallKB....$ folders? Hi, It is safe, but these uninstallers for the KBs are merely your problem or the HDD/CPU usage hogs. Did you cleaned up other unwanted Applications/Programs to gain Space on your HDD? The downside of removing/deleting these unisntallers folder, you will not be able to uninstall any updates/hotfixes from your computer. HTH nass --- http://www.nasstec.co.uk .. mjurado wrote: > is it safe to delete $NtUninstallKB....$ fol...

Exchange mailroot Virus
Hi, when it runs the Antivirus shows this message. "ServerProtect has detected a virus in this file. It is identified to be a harmful virus. Click the right button on your mouse to take action against this file. File E:\Programmi\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue\NTFS_00ee01be01c38a4d00000016.EML does not exist or its attribute is read only. No further operation is allowed. " could you give me some advice to understand the trouble..? thanks in advance Lucia You probably want to exlude those directories from the anti virus scanning. Those files in there are only transiting thr...

Stan alone outlook merge with exchange
Hi, On my laptop, I used to have outlook configured in stand alone mode and built up a whole bunch of contacts, appointments and email history. Now, I have a new domain connection to an exchange server, and I want to merge my stand alone contacts/dates/mails into my Exchange profile. what is the easiest way of doing this? On 10 Oct 2005 07:36:40 -0700, "JaffaB" <jaffa_brown@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >On my laptop, I used to have outlook configured in stand alone mode and >built up a whole bunch of contacts, appointments and email history. >Now, I have a new...

a way to get all the threads
Hi, Is there a way to get all the old threads in a single downloadable file so that I can leisurely go in to each of it at a convenient time. Pl some one may enlighten me about this. If you used Outlook Express, you would be able to see about 12 weeks once they all downloaded. Entries will disappear when you synchronize with the Microsoft newsserves and later entries will be added. You would not be able to read all the messages and keep up to date. Some of the groups generate about 1000 messages per day. If you are not behind a corporate firewall would suggest using Outlook Express...

XP When is Safe Mode not Safe Mode?
My apologies if this has been posted. I am not an MS expert, though I have worked with it a long time. I am running XP SP2. I had some services trying to start for which I had deleted the software. Via regedit, I did an export to make a backup of the registry. I then went into the registry to delete some of the service entries. Something went wrong so I ran the regedit import to restore my registry. Ever since then, my XP boots "just fine" except it boots, by default, in a version of Safe Mode. I have my graphical settings. Apache starts. Norton starts and a few others....

Exchange 2003 and relays with UNIX
I have a SA that is using a Solaris 10 box to sent e-mail VIA Sendmail to an exchange 2003 server to relay the e-mail out to the net because the UNIX machine has an internal/invalid domain name. So far we have been unable to get this to work even though I have gone into the exchange server and told it to mask as the legitmite e-mail server name. Any thoughts or ideas? On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:11:05 -0800, Michael <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a SA that is using a Solaris 10 box to sent e-mail VIA Sendmail to an >exchange 2003 server to relay the e-mail ou...

OWA not working... (Exchange 2000)
One of our Admin deleted our default Website in Internet Service Manager to make some changes and recreated it and since then going to the http://domain/exchange has stopeed working. I notice in Exchange System Manager the Exchange Virtual Server has a Question Mark over it and when I try to configure it, it isays to use IIS service manager to do it, but I am unaware of how to do this. Can Anyone offer some help on how to get the http://domain/exchange to again point to OWA or how I can point anything to OWA so people can access their email on the web again? ANy help is greatly appreciated!...

config exchange for POP3 emails
I'll like to use exchange for calendar and to get the POP3 emails into it. How can I bring in POP3 emails into exchange? Thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES rrego@njpies.org You can use the Outlook client to import the .pst files or use ExMerge. If you can, please let us know some specifics. Client software and versions, Exchange versions, and POP3 server software (not as important as client and Exchange info.) Thanks, Bob "Raul Rego" <rrego@njpies.org> wrote in message news:OHV6Rn7jEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I'll like to use exchange for calendar and to get th...

help in exchange rules
Hi, I need some help in order to put some rules on exchange level: example: Forward all message having a specific keyword to teh security officer. Any help would be apreciated. you cant. you need 3rd party software. or you can play with writing smtp event synchs in vbscript... but thats not recommended "Zrod" <zrod@aims-co.com> wrote in message news:%23Glr1dU7GHA.4708@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I need some help in order to put some rules on exchange level: > example: Forward all message having a specific keyword to teh security > officer. > Any he...

cannot find ms exchange server
A client had the vx2 spyware prog on his machine. I think this did something to his Outlook program. Every time he opens Outlook he gets: "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" Removed his account and tried to set up again, but Outlook is unable to resolve his name. I am at wits end, not much hair left to pull out! :) Thanks in advance. Can you ping the server by IP and by FQDN? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "m...

seperate accounts to seperate folders?
Hi I just had a quick question... I am currently using Outlook 2003, and I have 2 pop3 email accounts se up in my outlook.....one of them is my personal company email and th other is the general comapny email address (which i am responsible fo checking). What i am trying to find out how to do is, is it possibl to have the general company email messages go directly to a seperat folder besides the inbox? I still want my personal company email t come to the Inbox folder, but i want the general company email to go t a folder called "SCS." Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank...

Relative reference to another file
Hi- I am trying to create a formula with a relative reference to a cel that is in another workbook. I can only find information on relativ referencing within a workbook. I am trying to use the ..\ concept to go up one level to find the fil works in Excel, but keep getting formula errors. Any input is greatly appreciated -- annabe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- annabel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2652 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50661 If all workbooks in questi...

Safe Senders going to the Junk Mail folder
This just started a couple of days ago. All of my messages from the safe sender list are going to the junk mail folder. I've checked Windows Live Mail and Hotmail to see if any settings have changed there and they all look correct. Any ideas? Thanks! Are the safe senders in your contacts ?(they should only be one or the other but not both). Have you looked in the blocked senders to determine if senders addresses are not being blocked(blocked email addresses are treated as junk) You might clear out all safe and blocked senders and rebuild them accordingly for future inco...

Where can I find a user's home directory in sbs 2003
Hi there, I want to remove some user from the Active Directory. Before I do that I would like to check on the home directory first. Where can I find the 'Home directory' please. Many thanks, Exchange doesn't have any such "home directory". -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Smiley" <firework123@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:epvr3h$hl4$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk... > Hi there, > > I want to remove some user from the Active Directory. Before I do that I > would like to ...

Second Exchange Server FQDN
I have just added an Exchange server and created hosting accounts on it. It works fine on the internal network with Outlook. But when I go to my normal OWA page (https://mail.domain.com/exchange) and log on with the users on the second exchange server it tries to send me to local address and not a FQDN. Meaning I go to mail2.exchange.local/exchange instead of mail2.exchange.com/exchange. Where do I change this behavior to make it go to a FQDN. Thanks You have to set up a Front-end server in order to achieve this, or you have to publish the second server on your firewall and instruct us...

Exchange 2003 permissions
Just migrated from Exch2000 to Exch2003. Most of it went smoothly but I noticed a few things I had to fix which weren't in any of the how-tos I came across. 1. Exmerge now fails because the Admin privileges changed. I did read about this, but when I look at both servers (2000 &2003) they have identical permissions, but 2000 works and 2003 doesn't. I had to had to add an ExAdmin group to the Mailbox Store and give it full permissions before it worked. Odd. 2. All the 'Send As' permissions seemd to have been dropped. As an Admin I could still Send As, but none of my us...

Outlook in safe mode
I purchased Outlook 2003 and installed. It will only boot in the safe mode, does not shut down properly and is never online, always offline. I must hit send/receive to access email. I am running Windows XP Home, Outlook took over from Express 6.0 and should have been seamless. I have a cable modem on Brighthouse network (Roadrunner). I have run detect & repair from Outlook and reinstalled in the repair mode. I can send and receive emails only manually, not automatically, which tells me it connects to the cable modem. ...

Copying folders into a public folder doesn't inheit permission
I am having a problem with rights in Public Folders. (Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003/Windows 2003 Server) Goal: Allow users to copy folders (with emails) from their Mailbox into the Public folders. Issue: Users can copy folders into the Public Folders no problem but no one else can see them. Notes: 1. It seems like the folders are not inheriting the rights set on the parent folder if they are "copied" into the Public Folder. 2. If they create a folder from scratch in the public folder it inherits the rights from the parent Public Folder no problem. The problem with that is tha...

Is there a way to configure a cell so when I click on it a check .
How much should I make the check out for? $100.00 enough? How about using the body of the post for the message? -- Regards, RD -------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ------------------------------------------------------------------- "gil" <gil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B765F69-8243-4CFD-93E7-5B4FB2F3CD9A@microsoft.com... Right-click on the worksheet tab, View Code, and paste in the code below: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target...