microsoft Office Newsgroups?

Does anyone know whether Microsoft will continue to have
newsgroups for Office 2010?

My news server, news.individual.net doesn't seem to be
showing any microsoft.public.office2010 of any of the programs.

Are they available on a different server?

Thanks.

Louise
0
louise
8/9/2010 6:55:55 AM
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Microsoft will never initiate another new NNTP newsgroup. MS has pronounced NNTP
dead.

Go to http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/ and download and install V40 of the
Community Bridge. You will be able to use the Technet Office 2010 forums with
your news client.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:55:55 -0400, louise <louise@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Does anyone know whether Microsoft will continue to have
>newsgroups for Office 2010?
>
>My news server, news.individual.net doesn't seem to be
>showing any microsoft.public.office2010 of any of the programs.
>
>Are they available on a different server?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Louise
Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
0
barb
8/9/2010 8:35:21 AM
Hi, Louise.

As Barb said - and you apparently know already - Microsoft is shutting down
all the Microsoft public newsgroups and will close the msnews.microsoft.com
server by October.

Many thousands of non-MS Usenet news servers around the world have always
mirrored these NGs and many will probably continue some of them so long as
we users keep posting in them.  My ISP's news server (Giganews, I think)
still lists hundreds of NGs with "office" in their names, including about 40
microsoft.public.office.* groups in English and many in other languages.
However, when I tried to have a look at a couple of them this morning, I got
tangled in WLMail's message-handling system  :>(

When I went to microsoft.public.office, I got about 20,000 messages, but
they were all dated 2003 to 2005, I think, so I unsubscribed.  This little
exercise took me several minutes because of the way that WLM insists on
downloading all the messages before it will show me one.  (Part of the
problem, of course, is my own settings in Tools| Options | Read.)  Then I
got the bright idea to skip "office" and go to "excel".  The
microsoft.public.excel NG has over 150,000 messages and WLM wanted to
download them ALL - and wouldn't let me abort the process, so I wound up
tangled in several attempts to kill the process, even with Windows Task
Manager.  With a few extraneous interruptions taking me away from the
computer for a while, it took me an hour or more to get back on track - and
I'm NOT going to try to have another look into that m.p.excel NG today!
But, so far as I could determine, those messages go back to 2003 but peter
out in about June 2010, with only a handful of messages after that.  My
conclusion is that, for all practical purposes, that NG is now dead and
useless -unless you want to collect the old posts for your archives.

And a search for any NGs with "office" and "2010" in their names got NO
hits.

I don't like using Forums, but that seems the only way forward, so our best
course is to take Barb's advice.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"louise"  wrote in message news:8c9n3tFl2iU1@mid.individual.net...

Does anyone know whether Microsoft will continue to have
newsgroups for Office 2010?

My news server, news.individual.net doesn't seem to be
showing any microsoft.public.office2010 of any of the programs.

Are they available on a different server?

Thanks.

Louise

Barb,
I think you have it exactly right when you say "MS has pronounced ..."  MS
has never felt an obligation for consensus or common purpose; their only
interest is to maximize their power and profit.  For myself, I hate to see
them use their power to try to kill off newsgroups which I have been using
for more than 26 years and have always found to be the single best resource
that the Internet provides.

HM

"barb bowman" <digitalmediaphile@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft will never initiate another new NNTP newsgroup. MS has
> pronounced NNTP
> dead.
>
> Go to http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/ and download and install V40 of
> the
> Community Bridge. You will be able to use the Technet Office 2010 forums
> with
> your news client.
>
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:55:55 -0400, louise <louise@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know whether Microsoft will continue to have
>>newsgroups for Office 2010?
>>
>>My news server, news.individual.net doesn't seem to be
>>showing any microsoft.public.office2010 of any of the programs.
>>
>>Are they available on a different server?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Louise
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

0
henry
8/9/2010 6:00:53 PM
"henry markov" <hm@noplace.net> wrote in message
> Barb,
> I think you have it exactly right when you say "MS has pronounced ..."  MS
> has never felt an obligation for consensus or common purpose; their only
> interest is to maximize their power and profit.  For myself, I hate to see
> them use their power to try to kill off newsgroups which I have been using
> for more than 26 years and have always found to be the single best
> resource that the Internet provides.
>
> HM

Henry, corporations exist to make money.  That is their purpose for being.
As far as the newsgroups, they will no longer be hosting any on Microsoft
servers.  Many of the Microsoft newsgroups are still available on other news
servers.

0
KCB
8/10/2010 12:45:43 AM
>  WLM insists on downloading all the messages before it will show me one.

> (Part of the problem, of course, is my own settings in Tools| Options |
> Read.)

No,  R.C.,  that would be  *all*  of the problem.    E.g.  by unchecking
Get... you are requesting that all headers be downloaded; so WLMail tries to
do that with 1 command and AFAIK there is no NNTP command which says "get
them all, backwards"  <eg>.

Change your Get to 50, then get 50.   Those will be the most recent posts in
that NG.   If you really want the rest you could then use a Synchronize
command with All Messages set as the synchronization criterion.   Or if you
then want just the rest of the headers, uncheck Get... and do another Get
Next (e.g. click Headers).  Or, if you don't want any more old ones (and are
through with the ones that you have sampled) use Catch Up.   Etc.

Robert
---

0
Robert

Can I update from Office 98 to Office X
Can I update from Office 98 to Office X for mac? I should of said upgrade from Office 98 to Office X for mac? > From: Aggregates & Roadbuilding Magazine <rock@sympatico.ca> > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.mac.office > Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:37:48 -0500 > Subject: Can I update from Office 98 to Office X > > Can I update from Office 98 to Office X for mac? > According to the Mactopia site: You can upgrade to Office v. X for Mac if you already own any of the following products: Office´┐Ż98 Macintosh Edition Entourage´┐Ż2001 Special Edition <http://www.micr...

microsoft
weghtgh ...

BDL and Office 2003 Standard
Hi, I installed BDL in my workstation (Windows XP SP2, Firewall disabled) with Office 2003 Standard edition. The toolbar "Insert From CRM" shows, but when I click it, nothing happens. No task pane shows for CRM entities, though my task pane is visible. Does anyone experienced the same dilemma? Please advise. ...

Updated Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I am not very techno minded, so I don't know what to do. I updated Office 2008 and now it says that I have entered an invalid product key. I didn't enter any product key! I went to some of the help solutions on this site and one told me to delete the Office Folder. If I do this won't I lose all of the files I have in Word and ExceL? I am afraid to do anything, but cannot get into any files. Please help me with simple instructions if you can. Thanks. On 8/5/09 5:08 PM, in article 59b79af0.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "LC@...

out of office assistant not working
hi.. i have set out of office assistant from the EXCHANGE SERVER2000and from the client side outlook too..but its still not working,when i sent an e-mail locally.it does not says the person is not in the office.it goes to the inbox.. any ideas ...

how to download office 2003 web components
when I will try to access data analysis page and there is message to download office 2003 web components . but it is downloading to late in network from project server 2007. I want it separately then copy at the team member computer and install there directly . i dont want to download from project server 2007 server . Kindly tell me the location of these components . Sam: A simple Google search would answer this question. See: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7287252C-402E-4F72-97A5-E0FD290D4B76&displaylang=en -- Gary L. Chefetz, MVP, MCT,...

AutoReply Out Of Office Messages
In our Outlook 2002 server environment, we recieve an Auto reply for the Out Of Office message only on the first message sent to that person. I seem to remember a setting to recieve it with every message, while the out of office is on. Anyone know where??????? Shawn C <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In our Outlook 2002 server environment, we recieve an Auto > reply for the Out Of Office message only on the first > message sent to that person. That's the way it's supposed to work. -- Brian Tillman ...

Microsoft Promo

Can not turn Out of Office autoreply off
I was able to set up this feature before I left for vacation. I have now returned and the option is no longer on the TOOLS drop down menu! I can not find any information on how to disable it now. Help greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance... "rdlari" <rdlari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA44F8F9-3C34-4800-95D8-238EEB6551EF@microsoft.com... >I was able to set up this feature before I left for vacation. > > I have now returned and the option is no longer on the TOOLS drop down menu! > I can not find any information on how to ...

microsoft XL

Possible issue when migrating Office to a new system?
About a week ago, my office received two brand new Quad-core MacPros. Gorgeous pieces of machinery. I, being one of the only ones in our office with any sort of professional Mac IT background (mainly just setting up new machines for users and transferring their old files to their new computer through a backup server) my boss allowed me to set up her new computer. This is when the fun began. I successfully partitioned and reinstalled Tiger onto the computer, and installed all the necessary software. When it came time to transfer the files, I used Apple's Migration Assistant, and copied ove...

removing office 2003
Our nonprofit was donated a computer with Office professional 2003. We do not have the installation source. How can I get it out of computer. Remove program does not work, message says "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it". Microsoft apparently doesn't want us to use the program but will not allow us to remove it and replace with genuine copy! Help! Donor has been non responsive. ...

Windows 7 and Office 2007
Is Office 2007 Professional with 32 bit compatible with Windows 7? YES. I have had no problems thus far. However, if you haven't got Office 2007 yet, then it is good idea to get into Office 2010 direct and you can download a beta version from here: <http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx> The beta version is valid until June 2010 by which time new version should be out. hth SteveM wrote: > > Is Office 2007 Professional with 32 bit compatible with Windows 7? "20100209" <20100209@20100209.NET> wrote in message ...

Which version of Microsoft Office #2

Microsoft Office 2004
Hi I have been using the microsoft office 2004 on an ibook G4 on panther for the last 6 months. Recently, it is refusing to read some of the excel and powerpoint file created on a PC under the Office 97. I can see the file name but not the icon next to it when I look under Finder. When I click on the file name, the file disappears from view completely. At first I thought it was a software issue so I re-install the Microsoft Office 2004, but the problem persists. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions to solve it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, June In artic...

Synchronizing 2 x Microsoft Outlook 2007 #2
I have MS outlook 2007 on two different PCs. How Can I synchronized the Calendars from boot Outlooks. Thanks. Locksley ...

microsoft outlook and microsoft project
I install MS Outlook 2003, and also MS Project 2007. When I online MS Outlook, any time when there is message come in my mail box. Window display " Microsoft config gathering ms project information" Is it an installer window or a project dialog box? If installer, the Microsoft installer program is corrupt. Try Detect and Repair in Outlook or Project to stop it or just let it run and complete. If it's a project dialog box, you have some addin doing it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www....

Office 2007 SP2
Has anyone else lost the little check box which is usually found next to each task in the task list in Outlook today? I'm assuming it's a bug? C. "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <seegod1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:ejYOAzcyJHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Has anyone else lost the little check box which is usually found next to > each task in the task list in Outlook today? I'm assuming it's a bug? > Nope - still there... -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level...