Is Notepad in x64 version is a 64 Bit application?

I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if Notepad 
that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions is 32 or 64 
Bits?

The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if the 
application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one of these 
applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32 Bit application 
only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with 64 Bits applications.

Thank you



0
Nobody
2/1/2010 4:07:20 AM
windows.64bit.general 526 articles. 0 followers. Follow

16 Replies
486 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 50

"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in
news:uITnbQvoKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl: 

> I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if
> Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions
> is 32 or 64 Bits?
> 
> The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if
> the application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one
> of these applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32
> Bit application only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with
> 64 Bits applications. 
> 
> Thank you
> 
> 
> 
> 

notepad.exe in the windows directory is 64 bit, but the one in the system32 
directory is 32 bit. If you can control which version of notepad is being 
run, you could make sure you run the 32 bit version.
0
Zootal
2/1/2010 4:26:30 AM
Hi, Zootal.

Are you sure about those two versions of Notepad.exe?

My computer (Win7 Ultimate x64) shows THREE copies of Notepad.exe in the 
Windows folder tree:

C:\Windows\Notepad.exe                                            7/13/09 
7:39 PM     193,536 bytes
C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe                           7/13/09 7:39 PM 
193,536 bytes
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Notepad.exe                       7/13/09 7:14 PM 
179,712 bytes

I don't understand the differences.  On their Properties | Details page, 
they all say:
File version:    6.1.7600.16385

Except for the size and the slight difference in the time stamp, they appear 
identical to me.  But I'm no techie and I don't begin to understand 
SysWOW64.

RC
-- 
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64

"Zootal" <nospam@spam.zootal.nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:Xns9D11D007BC9A9nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131...
> "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in
> news:uITnbQvoKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>
>> I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if
>> Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions
>> is 32 or 64 Bits?
>>
>> The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if
>> the application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one
>> of these applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32
>> Bit application only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with
>> 64 Bits applications.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>>
>
> notepad.exe in the windows directory is 64 bit, but the one in the 
> system32
> directory is 32 bit. If you can control which version of notepad is being
> run, you could make sure you run the 32 bit version. 

0
R
2/1/2010 5:03:24 AM
Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is 
\windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an x64 
system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit. (yeah, 
right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)

Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32 
directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, masquerading 
as the system32 directory.

-- 
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Zootal" <nospam@spam.zootal.nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:Xns9D11D007BC9A9nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131...
> "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in
> news:uITnbQvoKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>
>> I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if
>> Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions
>> is 32 or 64 Bits?
>>
>> The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if
>> the application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one
>> of these applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32
>> Bit application only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with
>> 64 Bits applications.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> notepad.exe in the windows directory is 64 bit, but the one in the 
> system32
> directory is 32 bit. If you can control which version of notepad is being
> run, you could make sure you run the 32 bit version. 

0
Charlie
2/1/2010 6:04:30 AM
Charlie,
Unless the 32-bit program uses this function:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365743(VS.85).aspx
that will allow it access to the "real" system32 folder and not to syswow64.
To my knowledge, there is at least one 32-bit app that uses it successfully: 
my best text mode shell ZTreeWin.
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is 
> \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an x64 
> system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit. (yeah, 
> right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)
> 
> Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32 
> directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, masquerading 
> as the system32 directory.
> 
> -- 
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
> 
> 
> 
> 
> "Zootal" <nospam@spam.zootal.nospam.com> wrote in message 
> news:Xns9D11D007BC9A9nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131...
> > "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in
> > news:uITnbQvoKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
> >
> >> I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if
> >> Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions
> >> is 32 or 64 Bits?
> >>
> >> The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if
> >> the application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one
> >> of these applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32
> >> Bit application only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with
> >> 64 Bits applications.
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > notepad.exe in the windows directory is 64 bit, but the one in the 
> > system32
> > directory is 32 bit. If you can control which version of notepad is being
> > run, you could make sure you run the 32 bit version. 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
2/1/2010 12:19:01 PM
On 01/02/2010 in message <#NK7KB0oKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> R. C. 
White wrote:

>I don't understand the differences.  On their Properties | Details page, 
>they all say:
>File version:    6.1.7600.16385

Start them up one by one and look at the Task Manager Processes Tab - 
there will be an asterisk against the 32 bit processes.

-- 
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those 
who don't.
0
Jeff
2/1/2010 1:41:12 PM
In article <#NK7KB0oKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, rc@grandecom.net 
says...
> 
> Hi, Zootal.
> 
> Are you sure about those two versions of Notepad.exe?
> 
> My computer (Win7 Ultimate x64) shows THREE copies of Notepad.exe in the 
> Windows folder tree:
> 
> C:\Windows\Notepad.exe                                            7/13/09 
> 7:39 PM     193,536 bytes
> C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe                           7/13/09 7:39 PM 
> 193,536 bytes
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Notepad.exe                       7/13/09 7:14 PM 
> 179,712 bytes
> 
> I don't understand the differences.  On their Properties | Details page, 
> they all say:
> File version:    6.1.7600.16385
> 
> Except for the size and the slight difference in the time stamp, they appear 
> identical to me.  But I'm no techie and I don't begin to understand 
> SysWOW64.

SysWOW64 is just the equivalent of the system32 folder for 32-bit system 
apps, dlls, etc.  system32 is where the 64-bit versions of system apps, 
dlls, etc are installed.

Yes, the naming seems screwed up, but that's the way it is.


0
David
2/1/2010 2:59:07 PM
True. But most 32-bit apps we deal with don't have that ability.

-- 
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:2769A6BC-2A7F-42ED-9E46-6164857E9ACA@microsoft.com...
> Charlie,
> Unless the 32-bit program uses this function:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365743(VS.85).aspx
> that will allow it access to the "real" system32 folder and not to 
> syswow64.
> To my knowledge, there is at least one 32-bit app that uses it 
> successfully:
> my best text mode shell ZTreeWin.
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is
>> \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an 
>> x64
>> system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit. 
>> (yeah,
>> right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)
>>
>> Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32
>> directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, 
>> masquerading
>> as the system32 directory.
>>
>> -- 
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Zootal" <nospam@spam.zootal.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9D11D007BC9A9nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131...
>> > "Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in
>> > news:uITnbQvoKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>> >
>> >> I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if
>> >> Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions
>> >> is 32 or 64 Bits?
>> >>
>> >> The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if
>> >> the application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one
>> >> of these applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32
>> >> Bit application only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with
>> >> 64 Bits applications.
>> >>
>> >> Thank you
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> > notepad.exe in the windows directory is 64 bit, but the one in the
>> > system32
>> > directory is 32 bit. If you can control which version of notepad is 
>> > being
>> > run, you could make sure you run the 32 bit version.
>>
>> .
>> 

0
Charlie
2/1/2010 3:23:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am using SetWindowExtEx() API 
function, which requires that I use a 64-Bit DLL if I want to hook a 64-Bit 
process(This is documented in MSDN). It's one of the few differences between 
32 and 64 Bit OS'es.

I have one last question:

Does the shortcut in the Start Menu start the 32 or the 64 bit version?

Thank you


0
Nobody
2/1/2010 5:35:00 PM
In article <OFG#wT2oKHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nobody@nobody.com 
says...
> 
> Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am using SetWindowExtEx() API 
> function, which requires that I use a 64-Bit DLL if I want to hook a 64-Bit 
> process(This is documented in MSDN). It's one of the few differences between 
> 32 and 64 Bit OS'es.
> 
> I have one last question:
> 
> Does the shortcut in the Start Menu start the 32 or the 64 bit version?
> 
> Thank you

I'd assume 64-bit, but check the properties and see where it points.

D

0
David
2/1/2010 5:39:17 PM

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in message 
news:#hxbsRwoKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is 
> \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an 
> x64 system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit. 
> (yeah, right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)
>
> Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32 
> directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, masquerading 
> as the system32 directory.

I noticed that as well when checking task manager. Interestingly, the file 
versions numbers are exactly the same, despite the variances in the sizes of 
those files. 

0
Tom
2/1/2010 10:19:20 PM
Hi,
Only notepad.exe in \windows\syswow64 is 32-bit.
All the rest (start menu, \windows and \windows\system32) are 64-bit.
Carlos

"Nobody" wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am using SetWindowExtEx() API 
> function, which requires that I use a 64-Bit DLL if I want to hook a 64-Bit 
> process(This is documented in MSDN). It's one of the few differences between 
> 32 and 64 Bit OS'es.
> 
> I have one last question:
> 
> Does the shortcut in the Start Menu start the 32 or the 64 bit version?
> 
> Thank you
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
2/2/2010 2:39:01 AM
Yes, the version numbers are the same, since they're driven by the build 
number.

-- 
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message 
news:O75Xay4oKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in message 
> news:#hxbsRwoKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is 
>> \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an 
>> x64 system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit. 
>> (yeah, right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)
>>
>> Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32 
>> directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, 
>> masquerading as the system32 directory.
>
> I noticed that as well when checking task manager. Interestingly, the file 
> versions numbers are exactly the same, despite the variances in the sizes 
> of those files. 

0
Charlie
2/2/2010 2:40:14 PM
Thank you everyone. After some research, I found that I can install x64 
versions in a VM hosted by a 32-Bit OS. VMWare Server is free and it does 
that. The free Microsoft Virtual PC doesn't support 64-Bit guest OS's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Server
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Virtual_PC


0
Nobody
2/2/2010 11:31:19 PM
Yes, that's true. But hardly the topic you asked about.

-- 
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message 
news:O4TWU$FpKHA.5696@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Thank you everyone. After some research, I found that I can install x64 
> versions in a VM hosted by a 32-Bit OS. VMWare Server is free and it does 
> that. The free Microsoft Virtual PC doesn't support 64-Bit guest OS's.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Server
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Virtual_PC
>
> 

0
Charlie
2/3/2010 6:45:27 AM
"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message 
news:uITnbQvoKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if 
> Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions is 
> 32 or 64 Bits?

The Notepad that runs from the start menu is 64-bit.

Tom Lake 

0
Tom
2/3/2010 11:11:48 AM
Yes, but the file sizes are different. Not really anything to investigate, I 
just find it interesting.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in message 
news:#5y9iWBpKHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Yes, the version numbers are the same, since they're driven by the build 
> number.
>
> -- 
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>
>
>
>
> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message 
> news:O75Xay4oKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in message 
>> news:#hxbsRwoKHA.5508@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is 
>>> \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an 
>>> x64 system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit. 
>>> (yeah, right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)
>>>
>>> Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32 
>>> directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, 
>>> masquerading as the system32 directory.
>>
>> I noticed that as well when checking task manager. Interestingly, the 
>> file versions numbers are exactly the same, despite the variances in the 
>> sizes of those files.
> 
0
Tom
2/3/2010 1:44:50 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to determine current service pack version
I want to upgrade to the lastest service pack for Exchange 2000, but I don't know where to find this out. I have looked throughout the System Manager, but I don't see where this is listed Thank Greg Find the server in ESM, right click on it, and it should tell you in the General tab. Greg wrote: > I want to upgrade to the lastest service pack for Exchange 2000, but > I don't know where to find this out. I have looked throughout the > System Manager, but I don't see where this is listed. > > Thank, > > Greg Highlight the "Servers" object i...

version resource table
I've inserted a version resource table in my mfc gui app. Now I'd like to retrieve the version info when the user click-opens the About dialog box, put the version number as a caption of the dialog box. How do you retrieve the version number from the app at the run-time? Pesso wrote: > I've inserted a version resource table in my mfc gui app. Now I'd like to > retrieve the version info when the user click-opens the About dialog box, > put the version number as a caption of the dialog box. How do you retrieve > the version number from the app at the run-tim...

Converting Console Application to win32 application
I have created an MFC console application. When I run it from Windows Explorer it opens a dos box and closes the box when it terminates it logic. Is it possible to convert it so it won't open the dos box - just run without any display? If positive, please help me regarding the steps. Thanks Kalish I am not sure if you can compile MFC with a standard win32 application, but if you can, then you can simply change your main to a WinMain, and you will have the result you want. Create a Win32 Project using the Wizard, and selection Windows Application, to see an example. Remove everthing ...

Help! Trial version always crashes.
Does anybody know what causes this exception after Money signon? Unhandled exception at 0x74985c91 in msmoney.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000. Please don't reply with 'piss poor programming practices', I already know that much. thx ...

Moved inbox email messages to RSS folder by mistake -- unrecoverable bit bucket?
I missed my mouse-targeted folder of choice and dropped a few emails (that I want!) into the top-level RSS Feeds folder by accident. "Undo" is grayed out, and there is on sign of the emails. (I'm using a hosted exchange server, not a POP acct, so I can't get them back that way.) Does everyone get this behavior? Any recourse? thanks, mike -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com > "Undo" is grayed out, and there is on sign of the emails Should be: "... *no* sign of the emails..." and: Outlook2007 v. 12.0.4518.1014 ...

Programmation error in Finnish version of Outlook
I have made a program that updates shared calendars (using Outlook 2002 / Exchange Server). It works fine on my english computer. When I tried to run it on a Finnish computer, I got this error: "Ehdon orminaisuus Categories ei kelpaa", which means something like "Condition Property Categories is not applicable". This seems to be thrown when I start deleting old calendar entries. However, I can't debug it since that computer doesn't have VS.Net installed. I do use the Categories property of the appointments; I set it to "MIMOSA" in order to track it back wh...

Lost notepad
Am running WinXP MCE SP3 and after the latest round of MS updatesappear to have lost Notepad from the list displayed when you open the accessories folder from the start menu. The program still exists as does the shortcut if the accessories folder is explored but it will not appear in the list. Have deleted the shortcut, replaced it and done a system restore all without any effect. The latter makes me wonder if Notepad had already disappeared but I had not noticed. Used a cmd line file to reregister all .DLLs in case that was missing still no joy. Would appreciate any idea...

Advanced Security and version 10
In version 10 security has changed adding more flexability and control for administrators. The problem however pre-version 10 had Advanced security which allowed the client admins to easily navigate and apply security to windows based on where they are located on the menu. I am receiving complaints that when appplying security it is very difficult now as you need to know the dynamics GP windows for everything you are applying security for. We need a return of an Advanced Security module when we use the new tasks and roles and set it up in a graphical way. To clients it looks like w...

CRM 3.0 Upgrade Advisor
Just a quick note of an observation when running the UA. Given that my MS SQL 2000 needed to be upgraded to sp4, when the UA was run, the app would get about 75 % complete then hang. With the SP4 installed, the UA runs successfully. Thanks for all the good information on this site. -- Jon von ...

Arabic/English numbers in notepad
My issue is when typing Arabic language in a notepad. After installing Arabic language in regional settings and adjusting settings to allow Arabic letters and numbers i run into this problem. When switching to Arabic language I'm only able to type Arabic numbers after at least one Arabic character is typed. If the Arabic letter is removed the numbers automatically change to English. The issue was resolved in MS word using the Hindi context selection in options but still remains in notepad. Even when Arabic numbers are copy/paste from word to notepad the numbers paste i...

How I can get Microsoft word in spanish version?
On february 23, 2006 I bought Microsoft word 2003. The problem is, unless you send me the product in SPANISH VERSION, I'm forced to cancel the order. Apparently, you sent the product allready. If so I'll return it. Marco Holguin Not the right place to send this message This newsgroup is for USERS not the Microsoft Corp best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Holguin62@msn.com" <Holguin62@msn.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F19B113B-AB1E-42F0-A8CF-83D95E93FB89@microsoft.com... > On february 23,...

Windows 7 x64 vs. 32bit games
I got a barebones kit last week with the idea of making it a game monster that will still be good 5+ years from now, so I beefed up the memory to 8GB. *now* I understand that only 64bit OSes can see beyond 4GB. So fine, I'll install the 64bit version of Windows 7. The thing is, mostly I got it to run games already in my collection -- Call of Duty, Age of Empires, etc. Will those run OK on the 64bit platform? Do I need do run them in XP Compatibility mode or otherwise do anything funky beyond install and play? Conversely, if they will NOT run on the 64bit version, what...

new version
Hello, Does anyone know if/when the next version of Publisher (2004?) will be coming out? Thanks! Very Kind Regards, Allyson Thanks for your response. I'm concerned because we had Publisher 2002 and 2003 come out so close to each other... do you think there are plans in the works for yet another release next year? > I don't think even Microsoft know that firmly :-) > > However, it seems that October 2006 would be the latest, as Office 2003 came > out in October 2003, and many software licensing contracts are 3 years long, > so if Microsoft didn't release a ne...

how do i find notepad in Outlook
I need to create a document that has frequently asked questions on it and then print it out-how do i do this? FAQ'S <FAQ'S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to create a document that has frequently asked questions on it > and then print it out-how do i do this? How is this an Outlook question? Create your FAQ in whatever text or word processor you choose. Use the FIle>Print menu from within that application. -- Brian Tillman ...

What does 32-bit graphics mean?
I thought that all graphics is based on RGB of of 8 bits each. What is the extra 8 bits used for, just padding? Well, for one thing, alpha channel so transparency can be determined. http://www.atalasoft.com/PNG.aspx Tom "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote in message news:srDLg.9687$Tl4.3083@dukeread06... >I thought that all graphics is based on RGB of of 8 bits each. What is the >extra 8 bits used for, just padding? > There are several approaches to "32-bit" color. One is to use 10 bits of color data, one is to use an 8-bit "satura...

Default Negative Number format across versions
Hi all The regional settings on both of two machines at home are set the same: negative numbers displayed in brackets (UK English region) On one machine (XL97, Windows 98) I select Number Format and negatives are prompted in brackets. If I transfer the workbook to the other machine (XL97, Win95) the negative numbers in workbook are preceded by minus-sign. If I select Number Format in this workbook the negative numbers prompted in the dialog box are also preceded with minus sign. I used to be content to live with this, but the problem is multiplying. Now we have had Citrix installed at the ...

Float window in MDI application
Hi! I write a MDI application to show large images. I also need a windows to show the overview of whole image. I dont know the best way to do it. One thought is build a spliter window, but that will waste some space. Because the overview is small, for example 128*128, when take a vertical splitter the remaider space (640-128)*128 will be wasted. Another is Draw the detail image and then draw the overview on left upper corner in OnDraw. But in my application, the image is draw by tile, not in once, so this method can't be accepted. Third I think is best. A float window always on top of imag...

GP 9.0 SP 2 Smartlist Version
Does anyone know what version of Smartlist goes with 9.0 SP2? I did the SP 2.0 install several times and still my About... screen says: Version Information Microsoft Dynamics GP Professional 9.00.0281 Dexterity 9.00.0073.0 Smartlist 9.00.0276 Shouldn't Smartlist be 9.00.0281 as well? How do I make my Smartlist get SP unpgraded as well? Sincerely, Tom Harrison IT Mananger tomh@elklighting.com Tom, Several modules have several version numbers after upgrading to 9.0 SP2. All will not have 9.00....

keycode only works in OPK version..
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01CA6914.3C59C920 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi there, I installed the 90 day trial version of Office 2007 Small Business and = when I went to put in the keycode I purchased, it would not accept it. Then I installed the OPK version and the keycode worked there. Why would the 90 day trial version offer to activate a keycode, then not = accept it? And why must it be the OPK version that limits trial usage to = 24 times? Thanks, ...

how to launch a notepad with the supplied information
hi, i was stuck up in the project where a string is to be supplied to the notepad so that it can be saved anywhere else, ( the entire thing is in MFC not in ATL or so) can anyone who knows the answer help me, appreciation in advance, paul paul wrote: > i was stuck up in the project where a string is to be supplied to the > notepad so that it can be saved anywhere else, ( the entire thing is in > MFC not in ATL or so) > can anyone who knows the answer help me, One way is to save text in a file and then open the file in notepad. Another way is to CreateProcess, WaitForInputIdle,...

msn portfolio showing only bits and pieces
I checked in on MSN Money, and it only showed partial amount of stocks and funds that I own and which were in there last week. I was out of town checking it, and now that I'm home, I'm afraid to open up Money '03 on my computer due to it trying to synchronize with MSN. Will this happen and consequently copy the erroneous partial portfolio onto my computer? Does anyone know what happened with MSN's part? I always backup my Money '03, but when checking from out of town, I don't back up the MSN Money due to using someone else's computer. Can anyone tell me if ther...

Advice on how to write a MFC application for a Data Aquisition boa
Hello, I'm writing a MFC GUI for a data aquisition system. I will need to communicate with the board through USB or a serial port (has to be able to function using either 1 of them or maybe both), be able to send data to the board to configure it then aquire data and display the data in real-time (as much as possible). I would like some advice on to what approaches I should take to accomplish such tasks, especially the part of aquiring and displaying the data in real-time. Will I need to use a thread? My MFC GUI is a SDI FormView, and will have to run under windows xp (maybe ...

notepad
how do I move articles from msn, yahoo, etc to publisher? ...

wmf files not printing properly from mac office applications
Hi All, Our office recently made the switch to Macs. We're now tasked with brining in a lot of material developed on PC and updating it. We're running into issues with files that have wmfs embedded. They look fine on screen, but a lot of weird lines appear when printed. We've tried printing to different printers (laser jet and ink jet), no difference. Png files might work out okay in some cases, but due to the sheer volume of material we have to work on, it's just not very practical. To make matters worse, when I try to reopen the files on a PC after they've been sav...

save a particular column in notepad
i want to save a particular column in notepad, my Excel i created n number of sheets and a particular column of all the sheets to be saved in a notepad as well as if i do any changes in excel sheet it will reflect in the notepad. is there any Macro is available. Thanks ...