External Hard Drive Event Log Errors and Safe Removal Issues:

Windows 7 64-bit, HP Pavilion Notebook dv7t-3000, 4GB Ram, 500MB Internal 
Hard Drive

Hopefully, this is the right newsgroup for my problem. If not, I would 
appreciate being directed to the correct newsgroup or web-based forum.

I am seeing event log errors related to the "safe removal" of my external 
USB WD My Book Essential 2.0 1TB Hard Drive. The specific error message is:

"Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because a program is still 
using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and then try 
again later."

In my review of the event log, I see the exact same "warning" any time that 
I attempt to eject the hard drive. The details of the "warning" are shown 
below.

It should be noted that if I shut down the computer, unplug the hard drive, 
reboot the computer, plug in the hard drive, the "safely remove" function 
will work for awhile, I.e. one or two attempts. Later, the same problem 
reoccurs. I haven't been able to pinpoint, exactly what actions that either 
the computer or I are taking to make the problem reappear. I tend to believe 
that just accessing the hard drive somehow creates the issue. To the best of 
my knowledge, I have never "unplugged the hard drive" without seeing the 
"safe to remove" notice other than when the system is turned off.

I've also went to Task Manger/Processes(show for all users). I have about 11 
svchost.exe events running, which I understand is normal. I've 
"right-clicked" on some of them and went to "Go to Service(s) but I really 
don't understand what's shown and therefore have taken no action.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

------ EVENT LOG DETAILS ------

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date:          1/11/2010 9:00:45 AM
Event ID:      225
Task Category: (223)
Level:         Warning
Keywords:
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Richard-PC
Description:
The application \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe with 
process id 2944 stopped the removal or ejection for the device 
USB\VID_1058&PID_1100\57442D574341553435383632323531.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" 
Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
    <EventID>225</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>223</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-11T15:00:45.259239500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>22179</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="60" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Richard-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="ProcessId">2944</Data>
    <Data Name="ProcessNameLength">52</Data>
    <Data 
Name="ProcessName">\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe</Data>
    <Data Name="DeviceInstanceLength">52</Data>
    <Data 
Name="DeviceInstance">USB\VID_1058&amp;PID_1100\57442D574341553435383632323531</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
 

0
Richard
1/11/2010 11:11:56 PM
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

1 Replies
2724 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 58


"Richard" <Reply@Communities.Thanks> wrote in message 
news:#Lk76NxkKHA.5604@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Windows 7 64-bit, HP Pavilion Notebook dv7t-3000, 4GB Ram, 500MB Internal 
> Hard Drive
>
> Hopefully, this is the right newsgroup for my problem. If not, I would 
> appreciate being directed to the correct newsgroup or web-based forum.
>
> I am seeing event log errors related to the "safe removal" of my external 
> USB WD My Book Essential 2.0 1TB Hard Drive. The specific error message 
> is:
>
> "Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because a program is 
> still using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and 
> then try again later."
>
> In my review of the event log, I see the exact same "warning" any time 
> that I attempt to eject the hard drive. The details of the "warning" are 
> shown below.
>
> It should be noted that if I shut down the computer, unplug the hard 
> drive, reboot the computer, plug in the hard drive, the "safely remove" 
> function will work for awhile, I.e. one or two attempts. Later, the same 
> problem reoccurs. I haven't been able to pinpoint, exactly what actions 
> that either the computer or I are taking to make the problem reappear. I 
> tend to believe that just accessing the hard drive somehow creates the 
> issue. To the best of my knowledge, I have never "unplugged the hard 
> drive" without seeing the "safe to remove" notice other than when the 
> system is turned off.
>
> I've also went to Task Manger/Processes(show for all users). I have about 
> 11 svchost.exe events running, which I understand is normal. I've 
> "right-clicked" on some of them and went to "Go to Service(s) but I really 
> don't understand what's shown and therefore have taken no action.
>
> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ------ EVENT LOG DETAILS ------
>
> Log Name:      System
> Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
> Date:          1/11/2010 9:00:45 AM
> Event ID:      225
> Task Category: (223)
> Level:         Warning
> Keywords:
> User:          SYSTEM
> Computer:      Richard-PC
> Description:
> The application \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe with 
> process id 2944 stopped the removal or ejection for the device 
> USB\VID_1058&PID_1100\57442D574341553435383632323531.
> Event Xml:
> <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
>  <System>
>    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" 
> Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
>    <EventID>225</EventID>
>    <Version>0</Version>
>    <Level>3</Level>
>    <Task>223</Task>
>    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
>    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
>    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-11T15:00:45.259239500Z" />
>    <EventRecordID>22179</EventRecordID>
>    <Correlation />
>    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="60" />
>    <Channel>System</Channel>
>    <Computer>Richard-PC</Computer>
>    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
>  </System>
>  <EventData>
>    <Data Name="ProcessId">2944</Data>
>    <Data Name="ProcessNameLength">52</Data>
>    <Data 
> Name="ProcessName">\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe</Data>
>    <Data Name="DeviceInstanceLength">52</Data>
>    <Data 
> Name="DeviceInstance">USB\VID_1058&amp;PID_1100\57442D574341553435383632323531</Data>
>  </EventData>
> </Event>
>
>

In Task manager, processes tab, do you see any program running that may have 
a hold of the drive preventing it from being disengaged? Otherwise, what you 
could try is to logon in Safe Mode and attempt to remove from there, then 
logon normally. If you can find the offending process, see if ti is needed 
or if it can be uninstalled so you don't have the issue again. 

0
Tom
1/11/2010 11:30:26 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Why am I getting this VBA error?
I'm getting error 13 "type mismatch" when I run the below code. I've tested it on a small new excel sheet and it work fine. There are no other macros in my excel sheet so no conflicts. Any ideas? I'm trying to hide all rows were the value in column A of that row is blank / 0. Sub blank_rows() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim wb As Workbook Dim hide_rw As Long Application.EnableEvents = False Set wb = ActiveWorkbook Dim end_row As Integer For Each ws In wb.Worksheets end_row = ws.Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row 'this assumes the last value...

File open from Windows Explorer fails after Get External Data
Using Excel 97, is anyone aware of a problem where, after having "got external data" from a SQL database into a spreadsheet, an Excel file will not open from Windows Explorer. I receive no error messages, the open simply does nothing. The only way of opening files is by using the File Open within Excel or closing Excel and re opening all files without "getting external data" at any time. Many thanks Fred Newton Zurich Financial Services Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again...

ESE Backup Event 904
I have a two node cluster I get the same errors when I run a backup job using Backup exec v.8.6 The infomation stores fail to apear after 5-6 successful backup jobs. After the job fails, I run a NTBackup and get an error message saying the the Exchange service is not started. I then reboot the node and try an NTBackup again, then the stores apeared. Again, this happens everytime after 6-5 successful backup. eventlog message: I first get this: Information Store (2148) Callback function call ErrESECBGetDatabasesInfo ended with error 0x8004010F . Two minutes later I get this: Information...

Form not closing for event "leaving field"
Within a form the input-data (number) is checked wether it is already in the database. If it is already in the database, I want to open a new form and close the first form. But, when trying this, I always get the errorr "can't close form while event still running" (sorry, it is a translation from german). Any helpful hints how to solve the problem Thanks in advance Jokobe jokobe, Does that mean that when the input data is already in the db the record is not saved or shouldn't be saved? My guess is that your form state is still 'dirty' and therfore doesn't...

sfo error 07-30-04
Hi, I have problem with crm outlook i can't use the disconnected mode Thanx for ur help neto: you're going to have to provide some details if you expect anyone to be able to help you. Dave "neto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:701201c47615$8a5f7900$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > I have problem with crm outlook > i can't use the disconnected mode > Thanx for ur help Hi everybody I'm getting this error on the first time I'm tryng to synchronise to go offline: (it's in french but i try to translate it) "c...

mouseover event pop-up description question
Hi, I'm rather new to CRM, so I hope this is not a newbe question. I have looked for the answer online and in the "Working with Dynamics CRM 3.0 book" but haven't found it. In Dynamics CRM 4.0, when a user hovers the mouse over a form element name, the displayed field name reappears as a mouseover tooltip. That is not helpful. I'd rather have it display the field attribute's description. I did find an unsupported solution to customizing the mouseover event help window here, but that involves customizing each field, which I'd rather not do. http://bl...

KB 972270 Error Code: 0x80070005 on Windows 2003 Server
repeated fail of above KB 972270 with this errorr code. Any advice? How to obtain help and support for this security update For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft International Support Web site: (http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4) North American customers can also obtain instant access to un...

Outlook Express Removing Attachment
Can someone please help me. Whenever someone sends me an attachment in an email, I have a message above the (From, Date, To, Subject)line, which reads: OE has removed access to the following attachments in your email:...... Even when I send someone an email with an attachment, it is received with the attachment, but upon my reviewing it in the 'Sent' folder, the attachment has been removed and I have the same message. Would appreciate any help someone out there might be able to offer. Thanks Open Outlook Express and select Tools | Options | Security tab and uncheck the se...

Exporting/Formatting External Data?
Looking for some good tips on how to do this more efficiently. My main problem is how to quickly format row labels with spaces. In brief, here's how I do it, which, admittedly, involves drudgery. For a table in, say, .pdf format, I copy the table into an MS Word document. Then, doing a search-and-replace, I substitute semicolons for the spaces in order to de-limit the data prior to exporting it into Excel. Of course, this also inserts semicolons between the words in the row labels, e.g., "Number;of;things." I then manually delete the semicolons--and the spaces they occupy--...

Misc Log
Does anyone have a solution for a Miscellaneous Log import? The problem with a mail merge macro is that the Cost category hasn't always been added to the project and I would just, by default, like to add the cost category to the project if it isn't there. If you know a way this can be accomplished, I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Eric You can try Table Import. I just wrote a new article on this on my blog at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/10/often-overlooked-yet-powerful-table.html. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Bus...

Network drive disappears when opening publisher document
Windows 2003 SBS server, active directory domain, Windows XP Pro client, Microsoft Office Pro 2003. I have a user who had a Microsoft Publisher document he was working on. He has been storing it on a mapped network drive and opening it from there. However, a couple days ago for some reason, whenever he tried to open the document directly from the network drive, his computer was completely losing the drive to the point that I, as the network admin, had to go and remove his computer from the domain and add it back again to even see the network share. If he copies the document to his local driv...

Error When trying to create new Item
Good Afternoon, I am in the process of trying to create a new item within Cards--> Inventory --> Item. When I table off of the Item Number field I am receiving the following error message: Another user is creating this item. Please note that there is no one else logged into the system at this time. I have run Checklink against the Inventory Module and it appears to not have corrected the problem. I am at a complete lost right now and would really appreciate some help on correcting this issue. Thanks Don I would exit GP and go back in. You may also want to restart the SQL Ser...

Error message #98
I can't save and close in Calendar and Contacts in Outlook 2003. When I try I get an error message (not telling any reason) and Outlook closes. I think something interferes with Outlook, but what? Do you have any Add Ins, COMs, synchronization software (for a handheld for example)? -- Kathleen Orland Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "kuwaha" wrote: > I can't save and close in Calendar and Contacts in Outlook 2003. > When I try I get an error message (not tel...

Using External/Non External Data
I have a workbook that has data imported through an iqy file in column A through F. Columns G through Z have data that is not an iqy file just regular data entry by the user. The problem is that when you use "refresh" data to import newly adde rows, the data does not stay consistent with the row. Columns through F will update, but the data in columns G through G will no stay with the follow the data in the column. Is there a way to anchor a row of data? Example: Column A will have a name, created by the iqy file. Column G will hav a date, not updated by the iqy file, but ma...

Error saving contact created from within an Account
Hi, We have the following problem, when we create a Contact from within an Account, the Contact for is displayed with the filled in mapped fields. When we try to save the contact we get the following error: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The parameter is incorrect. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Argumen...

Timer event on forms
I have an Access 2002 db and while building a rather complicated report I would like the users to see a progress bar or timer that lets the user know that the system is working. I built a ‘lazy mans’ progress bar using objects and making them visible at various points in the process. There are about 10 steps which utilize DoCmd.RunSQL. If I try and add a timer event to show a progress bar the SQL running takes over the CPU and the event does not run or refresh. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time. Mark I solved my own problem. The timer event was in a loop and did not give focus to ...

Removing Exchange 2k + Active Directory from server
Hi, We have a server here with Active Directory (it's not the "master" server), and Exchange 2000 running on it. We want to uninstall both of these things, so we can take it off the network. What do we need to do, in what order, and why? More details upon request - not sure what you need. Thanks, Brendan Thompson IT Assistant Odyssey House Victoria Also - sorry for the crosspost. Not familiar with these newsgroups, not sure where to post. On 18 Dec 2005 22:03:39 -0800, bthompson91@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, > >We have a server here with Active Directory (it's not...

Event ID 8270 #2
All, We are running Exchange 2000 SP3. We do have 2 domains; domain.com running in mixed mode & native.domain.com running in native mode. The Exchange servers are in the mixed mode domain. When we create a universal security group, the system logs event ID 8270: (LDAP returned the error [41] Object Class Violation when importing the transaction....) Any help would be highly appreciated. Olivier Olivier <Olivier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are running Exchange 2000 SP3. >We do have 2 domains; domain.com running in mixed mode & native.domain.com >runnin...

Logging SMTP Connectors
Dear all, We have configured multiple connectors on our server for relaying certain domains to certain smarthosts. It works perfectly. Is there any way to monitor / log the amount of mails / traffic through a connector? Thanks in advance for any info, Kind regards, Michel Boks Perfmon counters is one way. -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "Michel Boks" <MichelBoks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81AB2F69-A35C-4ABD-9498-83002BB5DEE6@microsoft.com... > Dear all, > > We have configured mu...

Error during importing organization
Hello, I'm trying to import an organization which comes from another domain. I created the users on the new domain but when automap of users fails. When I try to manually map the users it gives this error: At least the setup user needs to be mapped before this organization can be imported. I'm a deployment administrator. Anyone has ideas? Thanks in advance ...

Event 111
Event Type: Error Event Source: EXOLEDB Event Category: General Event ID: 111 Date: 11/15/2006 Time: 5:00:06 AM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGESERVER Description: Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to do Schema propagation on MDB startup HRESULT = 0x80040e19. This is what I discovered: Explanation This event is caused by a failure to copy schema files from the Exchsrvr\Schema directory to the non_ipm_subtree\schema folder. User Action Make sure the Exchsrvr\Schema directory is available, and verify that the non_ipm_subtree\schema folder has been created.Restart the Microsoft Ex...

Driver for Sony Optiarc CD/DVD AD-7240S drive
I have two each Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S drives installed. The system information says the driver is for a SCSI CD ROM. 5.2.3790.1830 Sonys site leads to a Microsoft site that talks about 64 bit Vista but no XP 64 bit. So what is the correct driver and where is it? Thanks Bob AZ Bob, No drivers are necessary for optical drivers. The ones embedded in the OSs are enough. My optical SATA drive also shows as SCSI in Device Manager description. Carlos "Bob AZ" wrote: > I have two each Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S drives installed. The > system informat...

OPEN DIALOG BOX ERROR
In Outlook 2007 - it will not allow me to create a new mail message. An error message comes up that states "A dialog box is open. Please close it and try again." However, there are no open dialog boxes. Also, once I open outlook, it not allow me to shut down - as if I must close the dialog box before exiting. E-mail is receiving fine and "Test Account" does not show any issues. TORLAV <TORLAV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In Outlook 2007 - it will not allow me to create a new mail message. > An error message comes up that states "A dialog ...

Need help identifying a feature
I created a series of worksheets that included a popup help window. Now I wish to change the help messages on a number of cells. However, I just can't seem to find the tool again. It is not the "Comment" tool. That is the one that leaves a little red triangle in the upper right of the cell. The one I need is the one that pops up and you can drag around on the screen. Mine have black text on an off yellow background. The best way to get back to me is via darrel@title24.com - please help if you can. Thanks, Darrel Data>Validation>Input Message Gord Dibben MS...

translate System event log to physical disk / partition
Yesterday I got about 100 of these in a row: Event Type: Warning Event Source: Disk Event Category: None Event ID: 51 Date: 7/7/2010 Time: 10:10:56 PM User: N/A Computer: AMDbox Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation. I have several drives (2 internal and one external) and lots of partitions .... how you I translate that into " Harddisk2\D " Since it says "during a paging operation", I'd assume it's wherever the pagefile is, but I'd like to know - does it start at drive 0 then drive 1...