WinXP question

I know this isn't a WinXP group, but it's a lot more active than those
groups and the people seem knowledgeable.

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig
of RAM.

I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install
SP3 and on newsgroups.  It seems that one of three things will happen.

1.  Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)

2.  It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
happens and your computer gets screwed up.

3.  It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.

With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
running.

With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.

What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2?  Will I not get any
further updates at all?

Signed Scared

Henry
0
Henry
6/30/2010 2:39:44 PM
win98.gen_discussion 237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Henry" <wa0goz@arrl.net> wrote in message
> I know this isn't a WinXP group, but it's a lot more active than those
> groups and the people seem knowledgeable.
>
> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig
> of RAM.
>
> I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install
> SP3 and on newsgroups.  It seems that one of three things will happen.
>
> 1.  Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)
>
> 2.  It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
> happens and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> 3.  It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
> running.
>
> With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.
>
> What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2?  Will I not get any
> further updates at all?

(Your fears are exaggerated.)

1.  Ensure that System Restore is set active.   Providing your OS is
in good order, this will allow you to turn back the clock.   E.g. if some
upgrade goes wrong you can reboot with yesterday's good OS
hive and you are back in business.

I.e. no "clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back running."

2.  With a good installation of WinXP SP2, your main two reasons
for wanting to instal SP3 are:
    -- To enable doing something that you cannot now do (e.g. to
    instal new hardware or software.)
    -- To get specific security modifications (because you judge
    your habits make SP2 vulnerable to damage SP3 might prevent.)
If neither applies, you hardly need to upgrade.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
6/30/2010 3:02:15 PM
> What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2?  Will I not get any
> further updates at all?

Bingo!

Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been installed.  Extended
Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

    . What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
       http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

Henry wrote:
> I know this isn't a WinXP group, but it's a lot more active than those
> groups and the people seem knowledgeable.
>
> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig
> of RAM.
>
> I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install
> SP3 and on newsgroups.  It seems that one of three things will happen.
>
> 1.  Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)
>
> 2.  It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
> happens and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> 3.  It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.
>
> With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
> running.
>
> With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.
>
> What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2?  Will I not get any
> further updates at all?
>
> Signed Scared
>
> Henry

0
PA
6/30/2010 4:17:58 PM
Don Phillipson wrote:
> "Henry" <wa0goz@arrl.net> wrote in message
>> I know this isn't a WinXP group, but it's a lot more active than those
>> groups and the people seem knowledgeable.
>>
>> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig
>> of RAM.
>>
>> I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install
>> SP3 and on newsgroups.  It seems that one of three things will happen.
>>
>> 1.  Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)
>>
>> 2.  It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
>> happens and your computer gets screwed up.
>>
>> 3.  It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.
>>
>> With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
>> running.
>>
>> With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.
>>
>> What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2?  Will I not get any
>> further updates at all?
>
> (Your fears are exaggerated.)
>
> 1.  Ensure that System Restore is set active.   Providing your OS is
> in good order, this will allow you to turn back the clock.   E.g. if some
> upgrade goes wrong you can reboot with yesterday's good OS
> hive and you are back in business.

I'm not sure how effective System Restore would be in rolling back from SP3
to SP2 (if needed), however.  That's a pretty tall order for System Restore,
considering how much is changed.  :-)

A much better idea is to image or clone the current SP2 drive, and restore
that image or clone if needbe, although I agree I think his fears of SP3 are
a bit exaggerated.

> I.e. no "clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back running."

And IF such would have been desired, simply falling back to the prior SP2
backup disk image (or SP2 clone disk backup) would resolve that issue.

0
Bill
6/30/2010 7:56:26 PM
"Bill in Co." wrote:

> >> What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2?  Will I not
> >> get any further updates at all?

> I'm not sure how effective System Restore would be in rolling back
> from SP3 to SP2 (if needed), however.

XP's system restore can't roll back SP3 to SP2.

> A much better idea is to image or clone the current SP2 drive,
> and restore that image or clone if needbe, although I agree I
> think his fears of SP3 are a bit exaggerated.

Buy a cheap 80 gb hard drive (maybe $50) and clone your existing SP2
drive.  Think if it as a backup.  Use Norton Ghost 2003 booted from a
floppy.

I've never seen a satisfactory explanation as to what the difference is
between two similarly updated XP systems - one with SP2 and one with
SP3.
"98 Guy" <98@Guy.com> wrote in message news:4C2BB7EE.8651217A@Guy.com...

>> I'm not sure how effective System Restore would be in rolling back
>> from SP3 to SP2 (if needed), however.
>
> XP's system restore can't roll back SP3 to SP2.
>
>> A much better idea is to image or clone the current SP2 drive,
>> and restore that image or clone if needbe, although I agree I
>> think his fears of SP3 are a bit exaggerated.
>
> Buy a cheap 80 gb hard drive (maybe $50) and clone your existing SP2
> drive.  Think if it as a backup.  Use Norton Ghost 2003 booted from a
> floppy.
>
> I've never seen a satisfactory explanation as to what the difference
> is
> between two similarly updated XP systems - one with SP2 and one with
> SP3.

Not a side-by-side, but maybe it helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&DisplayLang=en

0
FromTheRafters
6/30/2010 11:14:49 PM
Don Phillipson wrote:
> "Henry" <wa0goz@arrl.net> wrote in message
>
>>I know this isn't a WinXP group, but it's a lot more active than those
>>groups and the people seem knowledgeable.
>>
>>I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 3 GHz machine with 2 Gig
>>of RAM.
>>
>>I have only heard bad things from people I know who tried to install
>>SP3 and on newsgroups.  It seems that one of three things will happen.
>>
>>1.  Everything will go well and it will work OK. (Seldom)
>>
>>2.  It will seem to go well for some period of time and then something
>>happens and your computer gets screwed up.
>>
>>3.  It will not install correctly and your computer gets screwed up.
>>
>>With the last two, a clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back
>>running.
>>
>>With my luck with updates, one of the last two will occur.
>>
>>What happens if I don't update and stay with SP2?  Will I not get any
>>further updates at all?
>

> (Your fears are exaggerated.)
>
> 1.  Ensure that System Restore is set active.   Providing your OS is
> in good order, this will allow you to turn back the clock.   E.g. if some
> upgrade goes wrong you can reboot with yesterday's good OS
> hive and you are back in business.
>
> I.e. no "clean re-install of WinXP is required to get back running."
>
> 2.  With a good installation of WinXP SP2, your main two reasons
> for wanting to instal SP3 are:
>     -- To enable doing something that you cannot now do (e.g. to
>     instal new hardware or software.)
>     -- To get specific security modifications (because you judge
>     your habits make SP2 vulnerable to damage SP3 might prevent.)
> If neither applies, you hardly need to upgrade.

My reason for installing SP3 is that support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends
on 13 July 2010. I don't think I can get updates after that.

Henry
0
Henry

another question on printing invoices.
Thanks to a suggestion here, I was able to graph out the spaces on the invoices properly, but I ran into another snag, here's the situation: I am tryinhg to figure out a way to print invoices from an excell spreadsheet. The invoices are pre-formated with fields and logos and are on continuous paper that is fed into a dot matrix impact printer. It's NCR paper, an original and two copies. The rows of the spread sheet contain the data that needs to be in the invoice. Each row has customer information, ie, name, address, item bought, price per unit, number of units, sales tax, and t...

NDR question #3
Hi, Exchange 2003 enterprise. I turned on recipient filter for default SMTP Virtual server. I still get a lot of NDR in BadMail folder. They are NDRs from my server notifying sender of 'no recipient' situation. Where can I turn it off completely, so emails for non existing user in my organization will not generate them. I still would like to generate other NDRs, like over the quota etc. Wlodek Did you enable it at both locations? 1)Open Exchange System Manager 2)Navigate to <your exchange organization> | Global Settings | Message Delivery 3)Right click on Message Deliver...

DPM config question
All I've noticed in documemtation where it is necessary to have matching templates and features on the recovery farm as is in production. How can I do this without having a site collection installed? I thought templates had to go into a sites 'Site Gallery'. -- Many Thanks! Pete ...

Question for Brian Kvalheim
In an earlier post regarding footnotes in Publisher you stated: "...Easy. Go to Edit > Edit Story in Word from the Publisher menu. This will allow you to have footnotes...." I thought this would be great for my newsletters. Using XP2, Publisher 2003, I have tried repeatedly. I assume that when through inserting the footnotes, one chooses Close and return to publication [name]. The footnotes do not remain. I also tried a footnote and an end note. Neither were present in the Publisher document. Chuck Davis wrote: > In an earlier post regarding footnotes in Publisher you > st...

BSOD After WinXP Install
I have a new HP 311-1000NR netbook, which came with WinXP Home in english installed. I have been trying to re-install WinXP in spanish from known working CD. The install fprmats the disk and proceeds through two install phases/reboots, apparently correctly. But when rebooting the third time into what would notmally be the configuration phase, the boot stalls at the WinXP slider screen, then does BSOD, reboots, repeats indefinitely. Attempt to boot into safe mode - same result - partial boot, BSOD, reboot. In each case after BSOD the reboot starts so fast I can't get any error ...

question #5
Hello, I was wondering if someone can tell me how to restore default settings to the microsoft outlook window? In other words, I used to have the "contacts" right below "folder list", which were all to the left of my messages in the inbox window. I would like to put the contacts again below the folder list. By mistake, I had pressed x and the contacts went in another location. Thank you in advance. ...

Question on Admin Groups
From the E2k3 Admin Guide: "You can move some of the objects in an administrative group to a different group. However, there are other objects that cannot be moved. Objects that you can move between administrative groups are as follows: .. System policies .. Public folders .. Routing group member servers (native mode only) Objects that you cannot move between administrative groups are as follows: .. Servers .. Containers" When they say you can move routing group member servers in native mode between admin groups but not servers, what exactly do they mean? If you have one routi...

Retrieving data question
Hi all, I have a question about retrieving records, hope you may help. I have a table which has 11 fields: One Name field ( for linkage ) and 10 Yes/No fields. I have a form to let users to key in the Name and then put a tick on those Yes/No fields as necessary. My question is, if I want to have another form which only shows "tick" fields of such record, how can I do that? For example, Record 1: Name is AAA, I "tick" 3 Yes/No fields. How may I only show that 3 fields in another form? Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks! Reg...

XslCompiledTransform.Transform() method question
VS2005; .NET 2.0 I want to use the XslCompiledTransform.Transform() method for its stated purposes. However, I have an XmlDocument object already in memory and I can't figure out how to use that without first saving it to disk and then referencing that file in the Transform() method. xslt.Load("MyXSLfile.xslt"); XMLdoc.Save("XSLTtransform.xml"); xslt.Transform("XSLTtransform.xml", "XSLTtransform.htm"); String XMLtransform = File.ReadAllText("XSLTtransform.htm"); Now I have my transformed XML into HTML string and can put it in my ...

Printing Question
Hi Everyone, I have never been very good at printing or all the bells and whisles of the Device Context. I am generating a report screen that want to print at some point. Say I want to have two columns of text on the paper. I call CDC::GetDeviceCaps(HORZRES) to get the width of the page and divide it by 2 to get the middle of the page. Well that all works fine when I am printing the data, but how do I tell the screen DC that I want you to look like the piece of paper (whatever it's size might be, 8.5x11 landscape or portrate, Legal, A4...) AliR. Hi AliR, >Well that all works fi...

OWA Permissions Question with A.D.
Hi everyone Here is my dilemma. Last year we added a group to our AD to block the "Department" field in our A.D. As long as users are in this group they can not read the "Department" field. Even when using outlook, the "Department field is there, but the content is blank due to the permissions. Recently we discovered the using the OWA for exchange 2003 we could read the contents of the "Department" Field. I know that OWA/Exchange pulls data from the A.D> but i can not figure out why OWA bypasses this permission. Does anyone know what why OWA is bypa...

PlotArea question
Hi there, I have a chart I'm trying to build with VBA (Excel 2000). It's a xlBarClustered type (horizontal bar chart) but it has unusually long labels. What I want to do is to make the ratio of space for the labels to bars roughly 75/25. PlotArea seems to include BOTH the data and the labels, so resizing this doesn't seem to help - I just end up with more whitespace if I try reducing the plotarea size. Is there any way of controlling the size of the labels versus the bars? Any help much appreciated Gromit Hi, The simply answer is no. Excel automatically decides the area allo...

Naive Serialization Question
Hello, I have a CMap object m_mMapFrames which looks like this: CMap<int, int, CTFrame, CTFrame&>, where CTFrame is a custom object. I have successfully serialized this object by overriding SerializeElements, thus: template<> inline void AFXAPI SerializeElements<CTFrame>( CArchive& ar, CTFrame* pNewFrame, int nCount ) { for ( int i = 0; i < nCount; i++, pNewFrame++ ) { pNewFrame->Serialize(ar); } } and simply adding: m_mMapFrames->Serialize(ar); to my document's serialize function. However, due to its size, I would like to declare m_mMa...

Newbie question: How to set up OWA in Exchange 2003
I am using Small business server 2003 without any patch. I could check my mail at the server by typing http://localhost/exchange/userid. How could I config Exchange to let other users to check e-mail though internet? I believe I haven't setup a front-end server. But could I use IE to check the mail. if the front end server haven't setup properly, how could I check the email at the server? I got serveral web sites. However, I cannot find a website with a directory or virtual directory named "exchange". Is the web site will be created when I setup a front-end server? ...

winxp
Je vous propose ce lien: http://www.idpz.net/Alf24/Melanie_blog.html Mon blog perso @pluche ...

Dates question #2
I want to generate a list on a new sheet (sheet4) that will show info corresponding to "sheet 1". Basicly make a list on sheet 4 that will show rows of info from sheet 1 between 4.5 through 5 years past. If today is past five years remove from list on sheet 4. Sheet 1 700 rows and columns out from A to AH column A entry listing 1-700. this column will grow with repeated info as time goes on, updated as I do required service. column B Date of service Need to be notified on Sheet 4 of service coming due. Service needs to be done every 5 years. If I confused you I'll try to get...

Hyperlink Question #3
I have the following code: Sub sheets_list() Range("M1:M100").Select Selection.ClearContents Range("M1").Select r = ActiveCell.Row s = ActiveCell.Column For a = 0 To Sheets.Count - 1 Cells(r + a, s).Value = Sheets(a + 1).Name Next a End Sub It returns a list of all sheets in my workbook. Is it possible to amend the code so that it returns each of the sheet names as a hyperlink to the corresponding sheet ? TIA, Phil Phil, I assume you have the list on the last sheet in the workbook. With some modification to your code, I came up with the following. Note: that Xl97 hype...

mailbox question #4
For my exchange mail stores, I have granted full permissions to an admin user to look at all user emails. How do I get Outlook (2003) to show all the mailboxes for which the current user has permission? Right now, outlook just shows the mailbox for the admin user. thanks sm You will have to go into the profile of the admin user and add all the mailboxes that you want him/her to look at. By default Outlook only shows the mailbox that it was configured for. Scott McFadden wrote: > For my exchange mail stores, I have granted full permissions to an admin > user to look at a...

xyScatterChart macro works on WinXP Pro & not on WinXP Home?
I have a ScatterChart macro that works perfectly with Excel2000 on my Win XP Pro computer. I select two columns and click on the macro and the xyScatterChart is displayed. When I moved this exact same code to my new Laptop with Excel2000 and WinXP Home, the macro would not produce a xyScatterChart but produced a double line chart with two lines(two sets of points) for the selected two columns instead of an xyScatterChart. I can't figure out why the code below works on my WinXP Pro desktop and not the same on my WinXP Home laptop. Thanks for any help. Dennis ====myScatterChart Code==...

Borderart Questions
Hello Folks For the first time, I want to use a borderart on a page that has a background. Unfortunately most borderart results in an ugly white line around the inner edge of the borderart itself. I do realise why the line is there on some of the borderarts, but why it is there on say 'swirligig' is beyond me. Is there way or workaround to make the white line disappear? Also, is there a Microsoft or other link to download more borderart. I realise it is possible to make some yourself but it always tends to look a bit rubbish and the same ones over the years tends to get a bit bo...

Unanswered questions
What does it mean if a question is not answered after a week or so? Unanswerable, too difficult, too obvious, lost in the shuffle? Were else can one go if not here? I see a couple main reasons: 1. There is not enough information to answer the question. 2. The problem is not described clearly enough for anyone to even ask for more info. I have seen other help forums referenced here, but I do not know what they are. "gg" wrote: > What does it mean if a question is not answered after a week or so? > Unanswerable, too difficult, too obvious, lost in the sh...

SRS SQL Question
I am a novice with SQL query writting and I'm looking for some direction. I have created a new SRS report to give our sales group a summary of open quotes. The sales group requested that the report be grouped by territory. So far, the query I have written will produce all quotes associated with a seleted territory. Here is the select statement using report parameters to select the status and territory: SELECT name, customeridname, statecodename, totalamount, quoteid, quotenumber, revisionnumber, owneridname, createdon, accountidname, billto_city, bill...

Need to reinstall WinXP
Hi, I'm planning to reinstall Windows XP Home on my system as there are currently too many conflicts and speed problems. The last time I did this I seem to remember that I misunderstood the procedure I should follow to make backups of all my Microsoft Outlook data - and so I ended up losing all my appointments, reminders, tasks - and many, many important emails. So, instead of making the same mistake again I was wondering if people here would be able to offer me advice on making sure I (a) save all my Outlook data and (b) successfully import it into Outlook again when the reinstall ...

WinXP clock
Does WinXp sync it's clock to some outside resource if it's available? I downloaded an atomic sync software. Found my clock to be about 5 minutes off. Synced it and scheduled it to be synced every hour. It's now about 15 minutes later and it's off by 5 minutes again. Historically, evidently, it's always 5 minutes off which makes me believe it is syncing with something I'm not aware of. How do I troubleshoot this? thanks The system clock is losing time or not keeping time accurately. http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/cmosLosingTime-c.html ...

AfxBeginThread Question
I'm new to the environment of MFC, for I prefer Win32 whenever possible, but I'm beginning to view the potential of MFC. I've a question about AfxBeginThread. I'm developing an application that uses two checkbox buttons. When you click one checkbox the other checkbox becomes disabled, for the two events associated with each button are mutually exclusive -- you can only do one at a time. The pseudocode is as follows... If User Clicked CheckBoxXXX OtherCheckBox.Disable(); MyClass.DoYourFunction(&CheckBoxXXX); OtherCheckBox.Enable(); EndIf Now MyClass.DoYou...