two XP installs on one machine

Hi gang,

Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
two other separate partitions?

I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
- different - XP install on another partition.

It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.

Any comments?

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like

"thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi gang,
>
> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
> two other separate partitions?
>
> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
> - different - XP install on another partition.
>
> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.
>
> Any comments?

when you install XP a second time

it will append boot.ini

If this group is cut

I'll be over on the 24hour (lack of ) helpline

0
philo
7/1/2010 12:46:23 AM
"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in

> "thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
>> installations on two other separate partitions?
>>
>> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a
>> second - different - XP install on another partition.
>>
>> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the
>> job.
>>
>> Any comments?

> when you install XP a second time
>
> it will append boot.ini

That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it manually.
But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says it won't work.

> If this group is cut
>
> I'll be over on the 24hour (lack of ) helpline

Yes, that group is in a sad state.
Thanks very much for your help and see u there.

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like
to be the universe.
	- origin unknown
0
thanatoid
7/1/2010 4:08:43 AM
On 06/30/2010 11:08 PM, thanatoid wrote:
> "philo"<philo@privacy.net>  wrote in
>
>> "thanatoid"<waiting@the.exit.invalid>  wrote in message
>>> Hi gang,
>>>
>>> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
>>> installations on two other separate partitions?
>>>
>>> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a
>>> second - different - XP install on another partition.
>>>
>>> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the
>>> job.
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>
>> when you install XP a second time
>>
>> it will append boot.ini
>
> That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it manually.
> But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says it won't work.
>
>> If this group is cut
>>
>> I'll be over on the 24hour (lack of ) helpline
>
> Yes, that group is in a sad state.
> Thanks very much for your help and see u there.

OK

it's now July 1st
and I am testing to see if my own news-server still covers this group
0
philo
7/1/2010 5:44:42 AM
In message <hZOdncGu7sj8eLbRnZ2dnUVZ_oCdnZ2d@ntd.net>, philo
<philo@privacy.net> writes:
[]
>when you install XP a second time
>
>it will append boot.ini
>

>If this group is cut
>
>I'll be over on the 24hour (lack of ) helpline

It's only definitely being "cut" on the Microsoft servers - you can stay
here by setting up an account on one of the others (including free
ones).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

We need a reversal of the old saying: "DON'T do unto others as you would have
them NOT do unto you." (Paraphrase from "The Moral Maze", 1998-11-21: it was an
attempt - quite good I thought - to get a modern [and non-specific] version.)
"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> it's now July 1st
> and I am testing to see if my own news-server still covers this group

The June 1st groups stayed on MS's servers until the weekend following
the 1st.

0
FromTheRafters
7/1/2010 10:24:34 AM
thanatoid wrote:
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> "thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Hi gang,
>>>
>>> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
>>> installations on two other separate partitions?
>>>
>>> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a
>>> second - different - XP install on another partition.
>>>
>>> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the
>>> job.
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>
>> when you install XP a second time
>>
>> it will append boot.ini
>
> That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it manually.
> But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says it won't work.

I did NOT!  :)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH
7/1/2010 11:47:59 AM
"dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in

>>> when you install XP a second time
>>>
>>> it will append boot.ini
>>
>> That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it
>> manually. But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says
>> it won't work.
>
> I did NOT!  :)

See answer in that group! You and Mike are 2 of (or THE 2) most
knowledgeable guys there, but he answered first! So I guess I'll
just have to try it, backing up all the root C stuff first.

Why do you suppose Mike says it will not work?

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like
to be the universe.
	- origin unknown
0
thanatoid
7/1/2010 9:58:24 PM
thanatoid wrote:
> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in

>>> That's what I thought, or at worst that I could do it
>>> manually. But the most knowledgeable person on 24hr says
>>> it won't work.
>>
>> I did NOT!  :)
>
> See answer in that group! You and Mike are 2 of (or THE 2) most
> knowledgeable guys there, but he answered first! So I guess I'll
> just have to try it, backing up all the root C stuff first.
>
> Why do you suppose Mike says it will not work?

He didn't exactly, he said the MS boot manager wouldn't work doing it.
That's wrong  too though and I have no idea why he said it.  Never done it
maybe

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

Assign values for one column to another.
Hi I have in column T certain numbers and texts that that I require to assign a value to as below, in the adjacent column. Again any pointers would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow T U 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 0 10 F 10 UR 10 U 10 R 10 S 10 L 10 P 10 PU 10 BD 10 D 10 Well, imagine that two-column table occupies cells Y1:Z20. Put this formula in U1: =3DVLOOKUP(T1,Y$1,Z$20,2,0) and copy down. Hope this helps. Pete On Oct 14, 4:26=A0pm, Celticshadow <Celticsha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > >...

synchiing two computers?

Microsoft is a bunch of crooks and imbeciles, burned my copy of xp
Microsoft is a bunch of crooks and imbeciles, burned my copy of xp. After spending a whole Saturday afternoon re-installing Xp, because it no longer worked, losing all previously installed programs and drivers in the process, because it would hang in install in some unknown place, had to start on a clean disk, and finally got it working with internet access, when I started it again today, a week or so later, it decided that my Logitech mouse was a 'MS mouse', and the cursor jumped all over the screen. Had enough. I would like to hit Bill Gates and Balmer in the face for makin...

Missing sections in CRM 3.0 using XP
I have upgraded my computer to XP PRO Sp2 and now I'm missing some sections, namely Setting on the left side of the screen. The Setting menu is in the GOTO menu but it doesn't work. I get a blank screen. Also the Articles function is missing in the NEW Menu. I can go to another computer running WIN2KPro and it works fine. I'm pretty sure it's just a setting in the Internet Options of IE but I have compared and don't notice a difference. Yes, I have turned off the local firewall. Ernest ------=_NextPart_0001_7245F7CE Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encod...

moving administrative installation of MS Office 2000
please help someone ! we have one server with existing administrative installation on it for Office 2000 CD1 and 2 in same folder \\%servername%\office$\data1.msi and \\%servername%\office$\data2.msi Visio 2000 in different folder \\%servername%\office$\visio\??.msi Project 2000 in different folder \\%servername%\office$\project\??.msi now we have for reformat and installed the new server with different name and in the same operation we would like to split installation for cd1 and cd2 in 2 differents folders like for other (visio and project). How can I do it with at least administrative m...

Two IF Statements with two answers
In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. If there are no other alternatives that yes and no =IF(G9="Yes",F9,-F9) otherwise =IF(G9="Yes",F9,IF(G9="No",-F9,"") Regards, Peo Sjoblom "heater" wrote: > In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: > > If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 > > Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. > =IF(G9=&qu...

Excel Conditional sum wizard for Office XP?
Add in is listed with the program; however, I was unable to install it. I went to Microsoft Office and was unable to find it? Where can I get this add in? curt SUMIF.XLA is on the CD and should have been installed with "typical" install. If not available in Tools>Add-ins, perhaps the installation was a "custom" install and the original installer did not check the Conditional Sum Wizard. Do a file search for SUMIF.XLA Normal path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Library If can't be found, go to Control Panel>Add/remove and click on MS Office ...

Mora than one Domain Exchange 2003
Hello! i have instaled an exchange 2003 and i need to use two domain, so the first domain works fine but now i need to use one of the user with another domain. Before this exchange 2003 i was running exchange 5.5 with both domains without any problems. Pls can anybody help me? Many thanks!!! Hi! Yes, the user that use the second domain needs that domain (the second) to be their primary (in fact the only) email adress. Thanks!! Martin. "PhilE" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:F5FF4465-9DF5-4094-B679-776DEBCC8391@microsoft.com... > Does...

COUNTIF (?) on two criteria

problem about installation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I bought a office:mac 2008 home&student edition, which can not be successfully installed. I have already type in the product key and verified my username and password, then it showed that no installation document can be found. what should I do about this? "mat@officeformac.com" wrote: > I bought a office:mac 2008 home&student edition, which can not be successfully > installed. I have already type in the product key and verified my username and > password, then it showed that no installation document can be fo...

Compatibility between MS Office XP and Publisher 2003
I run Windows XP and MS Office XP on my laptop at work. Our helpdesk folks are sometimes less than accurate. They are stating that Publisher 2003 is incompatible with Office XP and I'd have to go with Publisher 2002. Is this an accurate statement? When I look at sys requirements for Publisher 2003, I see nothing about requiring Office 2003 to operate. Any information would be most appreciated. Around here we refer to that department as the Helpless Desk. Yes, they are compatible. As are Office 2000 and Pub 2003. -- JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher "ATheobald" <ano...

All Replies from One Account Regardless of Which Received
I have two accounts set up in Outlook 2007. I want to receive mail via one but when I hit reply have OL automatically use the other. I have already set the other as the default account in TOOLS-- ACCOUNT SETTINGS. Is this possible and if so how? No it is not possible automatically. Outlook used the receiving account = to send by default. You would need to change it manually for each item = you send (use the Accounts button). --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, BigK asked: | I have two acco...

Two axis
Positioning the Vertical axes: I have a chart where there are two axes. The first implementation produced the two scales on the right side, one inside, the other outside the chart area. Unusual, but luckily it fits well the chart. I tried to duplicate the feat with another dataset (similar in structure) and did not even get the second scale to show right, left or center (data plotted with two different scales allright). Where is the info to control these functionalities? Tx, Pierre On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:48:13 +0100, pl.carry <pl.carry@wanadoo.fr> wrote= : > Positioning the Vertic...

Select cheques
When you are building a batch of cheques for one creditor and you add to the batch several payments the payments print out on seperate remittances even though you have specified to print one cheque per creditor. You have to go to edit payments to put all the payments on the one remittance advice. Can this additional funtionality be added to this screen. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, ...

Error installing outlook sales
Hi i am trying to install sales for outlook and every machine i try it on gets the following message Setup was unable to find an instance of the Microsoft CRM Server Components. The web interface works fine is just the sales for outlook module we are having problems with. I have tried machines with and without xp sp2. We are running office 2003 professional. This is the second install i have done. The test one on our test network worked fine but this one just won't work. Please Help Hi Leon. This happens because the Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook installation cannot see th...

plot two groups of numbers on one series of xy coordinates.
how to create a plot from separate x and y values. i.e. y values do not correspond to the same set of x values. example x1= 5, y1=10; x2= 8, y2=15 I can read your question 2 ways; A) you data looks like this x y 5 10 8 15 etc. Select the data and make an XY chart B) you have two sets of data x1 y1 5 10 10 12 17 15 21 20 and x2 y2 3 8 7 14 12 19 18 24 Make an XY chart of the first data series Select all the data (including headers) for second set, and use Copy Click the chart to activate it Use Edit | Paste Special .... indicate New Ser...

two variables
I have a query that asks for collcode, collcode2 and booth. On any given day an employee may be collcode or collcode2. I would like to know how many times a certain emp has been paired with another employee. So how do I ask if an employee has been collcode/collcode2 and who the other person was? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks for any help Query one: SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Booth FROM YourTable UNION ALL SELECT CollCode2, CollCode, Booth FROM YourTable Query Two SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Count(CollCode) AS TIMESPAIRED FROM QueryOne GROUP BY CollCode, CollCode2 IF y...

Find two PCI instance but load Init() one time
Hi all, I'm developing a stream interface driver for my PCI device under WinCE 6.0 and this driver works very well currently. Now, I got a problem when testing two the same PCI devices with my stream driver. The registry can find two PCI instances (i.e. PCI\Instance\mydrv1, PCI\ Instance\mydrv2) but system only call my XXX_init() one time. Does anyone know what the problem is? The following information is my registry setting: ================================================================== [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\PCI\Template\mydrv] "Dll"="myd...

A challenge for you? Querying one sheet against another
First thing I should point out is: I don't have access to Access therefore Excel is my only route towards what I'm looking for, which is... I need to compare my mobile phone bill (downloaded into a worksheet from my online account pages) with the contents of my 'Contacts' exported from Outlook. The contacts will be exported so that only my 'work' phone numbers are in the worksheet, I then need to be able to compare this with my bill's sheet and pull out (query > report) any phone calls with numbers that match - the total time of these 'matched' calls wi...

Comparing two lists for matches
Hi, I am trying to do the following: There are two sets of supplier lists - A List and B List. I need to compare the two lists. Source A is my master. Source B is a subset of that but has contact information for all the suppliers. Hence, my goal is to retrieve the contact information from Source B and match it to the suppliers of Source A. The above can be easliy achieved using a vlookup funtion. But the problem is that some of the supplier names in the two lists are not exact matches. Hence, vlookup does not catch it. For instance, a supplier is listed as ABC Inc. in A list and as ABC, inc....

Where is Auto Save in Excel XP?
Where is the auto save add in that used to be available in previous versions(97+2000) but not in Excel XP. Is it still available in XP? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Tim No it is not available in excel 2002, excel 2002 onward has auto recovery instead which is in fact better IMHO.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Tim" <tim@vtec.org> wrote in message news:2737f01c38f3c$2aae1f90$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Where is the auto save add in that used to be available in > previous versions(97+2000) but not in Excel XP. > Is it still available in XP? > Any help would be...

Compare two lists of names
Can you compare two lists of names where one list is last name first and the other is first name last? try this formual: =RIGHT(TRIM(E2),LEN(E2)-FIND(" ",E2))&" "&TRIM(LEFT(TRIM(E2),FIND(" ",E2))) it will convert First name last name to last name, first name or Visa versa. then you can compare your lists. "ea" wrote: > Can you compare two lists of names where one list is last name first and the > other is first name last? ...

Two copies of all Mailboxes
Using my sbs2003 srver with exchange 2003 installed - I notice two copies of all users mail box in the list of mailboxes using outlook 2003 on the same server. When I try to close these I get an error syaing mail boxes in use. I cn not remove them. Can you tell me how to remove these so I have just on mail box visible per user? thx Kevin Cain Class TECHNOLOGY ...