Transfer files

Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to
an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ?

0
dan
3/10/2010 4:45:42 PM
win98.gen_discussion 237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Yes.

--
Ronin

"dan" <nospam@nsm.com> wrote in message
> Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to
> an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ?

0
Ronin
3/10/2010 5:18:20 PM
Yes and No!

"dan" <nospam@nsm.com> wrote in message
> Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to
> an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ?

0
Hot
3/10/2010 5:36:07 PM
"dan" <nospam@nsm.com> wrote:

>Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to
>an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ?

Yes, certainly. Use a floppy disc, a network connection, a thumb
drive, a USB drive, remove a HD from the Win98 machine and install it
in the XP machine, any number of choices.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov
"dan" <nospam@nsm.com> wrote in message

> Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to
> an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ?

"Viability" varies, viz.
1.  Most data files (e.g. JPGs, WAVs, DOCs are just the same
on XP and Win98 systems.)
2.  Nearly all Win98 apps run OK under XP but not all (e.g.
Quattro Pro, whatever the "compatibility" setting.)  Many
XP apps will not run under Win98.
3.  Because of #2, some data files are incompatibly
different under the two OSs (e.g. those of Intuit Quicken.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
3/10/2010 6:12:56 PM
On 03/10/2010 11:45 AM, dan wrote:
> Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to
> an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ?

 Yes. A bit more, with a simplified explanation:

 The "file" is merely bits in a specific order and arrangement on the
disk which the "filing system" and hardware [BIOS, chipsets, hard drive
coding/translation scheme - as might apply] then "decodes" into the
desired format [a "readable" file] as defined by the OS. Since you can't
copy files *to* NTFS without a "driver" [the necessary translation for
the NTFS file system] any file you transfer via a system running NTFS
(such as XP running NTFS), will be able to translate the old Fat based
system [backwards compatibility] and *store* it (and also all of the
other "information" that goes with the "file") as NTFS since both styles
are MS "native" and supplied within the OS.
 To copy from Win9X, using that OS, to an NTFS system REQUIRES the usage
of an NTFS aware "driver" to support that translation/storage
scheme/methodology or it can't be done since Win9X is not NTFS aware
"natively". Note though, that the NTFS system/methodology has numerous
additional "file handling" activities involved within that storage
system in the OSs to which it is native, so there MAY be issues involved
in proper "storage" when done from a non-NTFS native/aware OS.

 Now, if we were using a network or similar "connection" for the
transfer, we also have additional "translation" involved, such as SAMBA,
or TCP/IP, or like "driver translation" activities done during the
"negotiation" for such transfer of those "bits" of information, handled
by the respective OSs involved and whatever "protocols" necessary for
the transfer.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
"MEB" <MEB-not-here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 03/10/2010 11:45 AM, dan wrote:
> > Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to
> > an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ?
> >

>  Yes. A bit more, with a simplified explanation:
>
>  The "file" is merely bits in a specific order and arrangement on the
> disk which the "filing system" and hardware [BIOS, chipsets, hard drive
> coding/translation scheme - as might apply] then "decodes" into the
> desired format [a "readable" file] as defined by the OS. Since you can't
> copy files *to* NTFS without a "driver" [the necessary translation for
> the NTFS file system] any file you transfer via a system running NTFS
> (such as XP running NTFS), will be able to translate the old Fat based
> system [backwards compatibility] and *store* it (and also all of the
> other "information" that goes with the "file") as NTFS since both styles
> are MS "native" and supplied within the OS.
>  To copy from Win9X, using that OS, to an NTFS system REQUIRES the usage
> of an NTFS aware "driver" to support that translation/storage
> scheme/methodology or it can't be done since Win9X is not NTFS aware
> "natively". Note though, that the NTFS system/methodology has numerous
> additional "file handling" activities involved within that storage
> system in the OSs to which it is native, so there MAY be issues involved
> in proper "storage" when done from a non-NTFS native/aware OS.
>
>  Now, if we were using a network or similar "connection" for the
> transfer, we also have additional "translation" involved, such as SAMBA,
> or TCP/IP, or like "driver translation" activities done during the
> "negotiation" for such transfer of those "bits" of information, handled
> by the respective OSs involved and whatever "protocols" necessary for
> the transfer.
>
> --
> MEB
> http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
> Windows Info, Diagnostics, Security, Networking
> http://peoplescounsel.org
> The "real world" of Law, Justice, and Government
> ___---

0
dan
3/10/2010 6:26:42 PM
 Just some clarification.

On 03/10/2010 01:16 PM, MEB wrote:
> On 03/10/2010 11:45 AM, dan wrote:
>> Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to
>> an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ?
>>

>  Yes. A bit more, with a simplified explanation:
>
>  The "file" is merely bits in a specific order and arrangement on the
> disk which the "filing system" and hardware [BIOS, chipsets, hard drive
> coding/translation scheme - as might apply] then "decodes" into the
> desired format [a "readable" file] as defined by the OS. Since you can't
> copy files *to* NTFS without a "driver" [the necessary translation for
> the NTFS file system] any file you transfer via a system running NTFS
> (such as XP running NTFS), will be able to translate the old Fat based
> system [backwards compatibility] and *store* it (and also all of the
> other "information" that goes with the "file") as NTFS since both styles
> are MS "native" and supplied within the OS.
>  To copy from Win9X, using that OS, to an NTFS system REQUIRES the usage
> of an NTFS aware "driver" to support that translation/storage
> scheme/methodology or it can't be done since Win9X is not NTFS aware
> "natively". Note though, that the NTFS system/methodology has numerous
> additional "file handling" activities involved within that storage
> system in the OSs to which it is native, so there MAY be issues involved
> in proper "storage" when done from a non-NTFS native/aware OS.

 The above refers to a "dual boot" like situation, where you have one
running [live] OS and are transferring files from or to the other(s);
those not running within a single computer - like from the "live"
(running) drive/partition to another used by a different "dead" (not
running) OS.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
Windows Info, Diagnostics, Security, Networking
http://peoplescounsel.org
The "real world" of Law, Justice, and Government
___---
0
MEB
3/10/2010 6:42:07 PM
In message <O4wRREHwKHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, dan <nospam@nsm.com>
writes:
>Can files from a win98se/fat32 sys. be transfered to
>an xp/ntsf system and still be viable ?

Yes.

More:
1. A '98 system can't write NTFS, but an XP system can read FAT. So you
can transfer the files by any means both systems can handle - via
floppy, CD, network, email, serial port, USB stick (if your 98 system
has drivers that work with it) ... or connect the FAT drive to the XP
system.
2. The files will be _readable_ on the XP system once it's got them - it
will be able to move them around, copy them,  and so on. In most cases,
they will also be openable by applications under XP - certainly all
..jpg, .gif, .txt, .doc, and most other kinds; there are a _few_ kinds
that won't work in the XP version of the relevant application (see other
posts in this thread). If any of your files are of this type, you _may_
be able to get the '98 software to run under XP - in some mode, or at
worst in a virtual machine.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"Mummy, Mummy, I'm 13 now can I wear a bra?"

"SHUT UP RALPH...."

Stopping avi, jpeg, bmp and mpeg files...
Hi Team, What are you using to block avi, jpeg, bmp and mpeg files? Is there a way natively that Exchange can do this? Not natively. Most organizations will use a Firewall, AV Scanner, or other third party service such Spam Soap to remove the attachments before they reach Exchange Server. Check your AV Scanner for Exchange, it should have this capability. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2006 Microsoft Certified Partner "Smohrman" <Smohrman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEB23C67-DB47-4DDB-A7B0-9EE268F18E91@microsoft.com... > ...

C++ Asignment, submiting files
Hi, I have an assignment to submit and right at the end the instructions are: 1) Source code (must compile cleanly in Visual C++ 6 or 7). I have warning set to 3, the code compiles with no warnings and of course no errors. 2) Compiled Win32 binaries. Include any 3rd party DLLs needed to run the application. How can I find out, for certain, what DLLs are needed? My app does not use any third party DLL, (none that I know). Must I submit the windows stuff as well, I will build statically so there is no need for any Dll as far as I know. But how can I really tell? Thanks Simon "S...

about transfer order

importing saved registry file
how do I import a Windows 2003 registry file to Windows 2008? We are moving our server O/S from windows 2003 to windows 2008 and I need to migrate the registry shares. Howdie! Am 22.06.2010 18:23, schrieb Pearl: > how do I import a Windows 2003 registry file to Windows 2008? We are moving > our server O/S from windows 2003 to windows 2008 and I need to migrate the > registry shares. You could either do that with the File Server Migration Toolkit (FSMT) which is a free download from Microsoft -- or use a script to export/import that. regedit /s myexport.reg ...

Transfering messages

HR Position Transfers

How do I recover an excel TMP file?
I am trying to recover an excel file that was deleted. I have not been able to undelete the original file. I have; however, been able to undelete a few temporary files that were generated when I was using the original file. The original file was "Orders.xls" and the file I have are in the format: Orders.xls~RF1e49561.TMP Orders.xls~RF1fd65d5.TMP Orders.xls~RF180a693.TMP Orders.xls~RFccab43.TMP Is there any way to recover my file from one of these files? Their sizes are consistent to the original file. Why not open each one and see? I assume you have checked in the Recycle Bi...

Not recognizing a PST file import (2003)
Outlook keeps giving me an error message that PST files that I am trying to import into 2003 are not PST files. I did export them as PST files burned them to CD, moved them to new hard drive, removed the read-only designation. I also can't get my older version of Outlook 2000 to recognize them. Please help! Thanks m I had the same problem with Outlook 2003. Fortunately, I also copied the PST to a floppy disk (high density) and it worked fine from that copy. There appears to be a problem with Outlook 2003. And since it can potentially destroy years of contacts and e-mails, it's...

How do I creat a sent file?
I recently sent an email but one of the people I sent it to didn't get it. I would like to find it and resend it but I don't have a sent file. Is it perhaps hidden? How do I create one? Version of Outlook? Did you look for the sent folder in the Folder list? (Ctrl+6 to display it) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http...

File Open
Hi, How to check if the a perticular file is open or not ? How to display true if the file is open. Thanks Regards Mili. Hi Mili Function IsOpen(WbName As String) As Boolean On Error Resume Next IsOpen = Len(Workbooks(WbName).Name) End Function Sub test() MsgBox IsOpen("Book1") MsgBox IsOpen("MyPornArchive") End Sub -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgroup only please "Mili" <mili_rao@yahoo.com> skrev i melding news:02f201c3a519$2f9698f0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > How to check if the a perticular file is open or not ? > How t...

Money 98 Delete symbols from obsolete symbols file #2
My obsolete symbols ,txt has over 250 symbols so when I go on line to update stock market prices I have to uncheck several manually on the pop=up window which says it can't search for over 250 symbols. I can not figure out how to empty or permanently eliminate uneeded symbols from this file. Anybody got any ideas? Howard ...

File can not open
My file Ms word can not reopen after save the file. Why? Is your file named "Ms Word.doc"? Something else? Are you using Word 97? 2000? 2002? 2003? 2007? Did you delete the file? Move the file? Is it some other named file? Saved where? As you can see, your post does not really tell us anything. Gladstone wrote: >My file Ms word can not reopen after save the file. Why? -- Gerry Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-programming/201003/1 ...

Windows Easy Transfer

Holding a file open in FTP?
We have a user who wants to share an editable spreadsheet on their web server (IIS5) with others over the internet. So we placed a spreadsheet file in the FTP directory, established FTP accounts for the users, and they can open the spreadsheet by opening the FQDN (ftp://domain.com/file.xls) The problem is that when they open the file this way, the file is locked only for the duration of the FTP data transfer to the client, after which it is freed. A second person can come along and open, change, and save the file while the first one has it open (on their remote machine) and making changes. ...

Print Excel file to PDF
Hi, Is there a VBA code, or a program whereby I can print an Excel file to a PDF? (Maybe an add-in?) I'd like to do it directly from Excel similarly to the way Word Perfect has that option in the file menu if possible, but anything will be a help. (I'm using Office 2000) Rob Rob You could purchase Adobe Acrobat. An alternative to buying Adobe Acrobat.... I have had success with the free file downloads and instructions for use here at Dale Nurden's site. http://www.rcis.co.za/dale/info/pdfguide.htm Saves first to single *.ps file which is then converted to *.pdf Return...

STM (streaming file) too big
Hi all We have just installed exchange 2003 standard and are already experiencing problems with hitting the 16Gb limit The server has only been runnning for 2 weeks! The .stm file is now over 14Gb in size even after we did an offline defrag! All users are currently running as POP3 clients and will be migrating over to MAPI integrated clients as soon as possible. Whilst i understand that the stm file contains message bodies to support non mapi clients what i dont understand is why this file remains so large after POP3 clients have downloaded all their mail. Is this by design? How ca...

Access an excel file through FTP without write protection
Hi experts I placed a question yesterday - approximately 28 hours ago - nobody have reacted on it - please tell me if you don't understand my question because my English is to bad. thanks jj ...

Transferring an order to an invoice...

TRANSFER OUT TO TRANSFER OUT
I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH RMS FOR OVER A YEAR AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM. STORE A MAKES A TRANSFER OUT AND STORE B RECEIVES A COMPUTER TRANSFER IN THE TRANSFER OUT WINDOW INSTEAD OF A TRANSFER IN. IN ADDITION TO THAT THE TRANSFER HAS BEEN CLOSED AT STORE B'S END AUTOMITICALLY AND IT IS EMPTY. AN KNOWLEDGE AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENS THANKS Check HQ Client for errors, or from HQ Manager, view the event log for that store. You'll probably find some errors at Store B on the 401 that created the transfer. I would guess that Store A used a transfer number with more than 14 c...

Fixed Asset transfer for a New Company
Is selling the Fixed Asset to the new company the best option to make a transfer to a new company? Can you give us a little more detail on what you are needing to accomplish? If two companies are different legal entities there are all kinds of other rules on 'transferring' assets. Is this just a new database or are you doing an intercompany transaction? We can help, we just need a little more explanation. "FA user" wrote: > Is selling the Fixed Asset to the new company the best option to make a > transfer to a new company? ...

Office updates downloading as excel files
A friend installed Office X on my computer recently, and when we tried to download the updtates for the program, they downloaded as excel files, then would not open, no program could read the file, etc. I need to update this version of Office X because it is acting weird, and I dont want it to crash and have my papers be lost. I hope someone has any idea what I am talking about and can help me. I can go into more detail if needed. Thanks so much. Download the 10.1.2, 10.1.4, and 10.1.5 updates directly from the Microsoft web site. <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx#OfficeX>...

Which Transfer In?
A question for you all, which our support company can not answer... If branch 5 receives a transfer from another branch of 64 of item 68209, but the paperwork is missing, and there is no label on the box to say which branch it has come from, is there a quick way of finding the correct Transfer in document? We have tried the Item movement and item movement history reports, but the answer is NO!. Basically, look through all of the transfers in, until you find the correct one. I'm, after a report or a solution which does not involve Store Administrator, as it should be an easy to us...

excel file can't be opened
hi all, I had a recent excel file ( about one month ago ),but today I can't open it.And it seems it will always ask me to close it cause not responding.What happened?What should I do so that I can open this important file. Is any body wanna help.I will appreciated it -- warmest regards, cho One thing that might have happened is that someone else opened the file using a later Version of Excel than you have and saved it back to the same spot by that newer version. You, having an older version cannot open it. Try getting someone to open it with a newer version of Excel and saving i...

Duplicate files
I trying to figure out what is different between two files I have created. I have two files that, as far as I can tell, are exactly the same. However, one file is 1588 KB and the other is 4038 KB. I am the creator of both files, but I can't find anything different with them. Each file has two worksheets (none hidden). Sheet 2 is blank on both files. To be sure the blank worksheets were the same, I copied one to the other and saved. The file size differences stayed the same. Both files have the same exact Macros and Modules. Sheet1 on both files looks the same. I've made sure t...