scandisk errors

If you uncheck the automatic fix scandisk errors, a prompt pops up and three
options are allowed. The choices are ignore, move and repair and delete the
file. If I chose the [move and repair] option, the program moves the file to
the top of the host local drive C: . My question(s) are what is repaired and
how do I restore the file to its proper folder location? Do I have to repair
this file myself? When and why would I want to delete the file?

The only errors that scandisk reports are MS-Dos name length errors that
exceed 66 characters in length. Why does win98 name some MS-Dos files like
this? Is this the only error that scandisk reports? It seems easier to just
leave the program to autofix everything it finds, but then I would never
learn what all it fixes.

0
Jim
1/20/2010 6:43:53 PM
win98.gen_discussion 237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I did find answers to many of my questions in:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder location
after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in the root path
folder it appears to have come from will this work? The KB article above
suggests that user of this option write down the root path to folder file
before moving the file. Unfortunately, I did not think to do this prior to
the move/repair selection and there was no warning to user. My first attempt
restore was to use {scanreg / restore} in dos-mode and no luck...
"Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
> If you uncheck the automatic fix scandisk errors, a prompt pops up and
three
> options are allowed. The choices are ignore, move and repair and delete
the
> file. If I chose the [move and repair] option, the program moves the file
> the top of the host local drive C: . My question(s) are what is repaired
and
> how do I restore the file to its proper folder location? Do I have to
repair
> this file myself? When and why would I want to delete the file?
>
> The only errors that scandisk reports are MS-Dos name length errors that
> exceed 66 characters in length. Why does win98 name some MS-Dos files like
> this? Is this the only error that scandisk reports? It seems easier to
just
> leave the program to autofix everything it finds, but then I would never
> learn what all it fixes.

0
Jim
1/20/2010 8:29:02 PM
On 01/20/2010 03:29 PM, Jim wrote:
> I did find answers to many of my questions in:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
> I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder location
> after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in the root path
> folder it appears to have come from will this work?

Only if the file is intact, as in original condition. Not usually the case.

Simplified explanation:

cross-linked files - files in which segments may contain parts of other
files due to some corruption caused by disk errors [bad clusters or
otherwise] or FAT issues [two or more files supposedly in the same
cluster segments].

File fragments - parts of data which appears to be part of some file but
are not determined to be part of an existing file or belonging to an
unknown folder.

 Perhaps you can help us help you by describing what you are trying to
fix and what OS?

 The DOS Name Length errors are typical for scandisk as it does *not*
support the full 255 name length of Windows. That includes both the
folders AND the actual file name. It is NOT recommended to check for
this with scandisk.

"Report MS-DOS Mode Name Length Errors - MS-DOS does not allow paths to
files or folders to be longer than 66 characters. By default, ScanDisk
for Windows does not check for MS-DOS mode name length errors. To force
ScanDisk for Windows to detect these errors, click the "Report MS-DOS
mode name length errors" check box to select it. This causes ScanDisk
for Windows to detect folders that cannot be opened in MS-DOS mode
because the MS-DOS patch is longer than 66 characters. If you have not
selected the Automatically Fix Errors check box, ScanDisk for Windows
prompts you to ignore this error and continue, repair the error by
moving the folder, or delete the affected folder. Note that the default
action (regardless of whether the Automatically Fix Errors check box is
selected) is to ignore this error and continue. For additional
information about this issue, please see the following article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
132883  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/132883/EN-US/ ) Err Msg: Drive
C Contains Errors That Must Be Corrected...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/132883/EN-US/"

"Windows allows paths with more than 66 characters. However, MS-DOS does
not allow these long paths. When you use the Automatically Fix Errors
option in ScanDisk, a path that is longer than 66 characters is
considered valid to Windows and invalid to MS-DOS."

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
> I did find answers to many of my questions in:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
> I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder location
> after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in the root path
> folder it appears to have come from will this work? The KB article above
> suggests that user of this option write down the root path to folder file
> before moving the file. Unfortunately, I did not think to do this prior to
> the move/repair selection and there was no warning to user. My first
attempt
> restore was to use {scanreg / restore} in dos-mode and no luck...

A couple of things you might try; first use FIND (winkey-F) and type in the
filename you restored. Then search the drive the file came from. You may
actually be in luck and find a file by the same name in the right directory.

Second, give us the filename because it may be a filename one of us is
familiar with and can tell you what directory it belongs in.

For the future I would highly recommend letting SCANDSKW automatically do
repairs and make sure you always have a good recent backup of your system.
When I've gotten into trouble I've sometimes had the backup software restore
missing files, but not overwrite existing files. It's saved my hide more
than once!

0
someone
1/21/2010 3:30:31 AM
you have bad clusters  <<< time to get a new Hard Drive
You will not be able to  repair  this file myself.......

> If you uncheck the automatic fix scandisk errors, a prompt pops up and
> three
> options are allowed. The choices are ignore, move and repair and delete
> the
> file. If I chose the [move and repair] option, the program moves the file
> the top of the host local drive C: . My question(s) are what is repaired
> and
> how do I restore the file to its proper folder location? Do I have to
> repair
> this file myself? When and why would I want to delete the file?
>
> The only errors that scandisk reports are MS-Dos name length errors that
> exceed 66 characters in length. Why does win98 name some MS-Dos files like
> this? Is this the only error that scandisk reports? It seems easier to
> just
> leave the program to autofix everything it finds, but then I would never
> learn what all it fixes.

0
Hot
1/21/2010 4:41:56 AM
Do not configure Scandisk to automatically fix anything.  If there are
problems, you need to know about them - you do not want them silently
disposed of.  The 'fix' usually doesn't fix it the way you were hoping, and
it can make the problem much worse. If Scandisk detects a problem and offers
to fix it, it is usually best to decline.  Manually fixing the problem is
often a better solution.

You may wish to allow Scandisk to repair files when you know that an illegal
shutdown has left some files in an invalid state.  You will invariably then
delete those files, although in some cases it may be possible to repair them
or at least recover some data from them.

But whatever the circumstance, do not let Scandisk 'fix' anything unless you
are sure that you understand exactly what the 'fix' is going to do, and that
you can handle the result.

The MSDOS length errors can be ignored.  The fix for this problem should
only be used when you are attempting recovery of a complete disk and you are
forced to use DOS to do it, and some parts of some folders are inaccessible.
When you have recovered everything else, these inaccessible files can be
recovered after running Scandisk to adjust the filename length so you can
get at them from DOS.  It has no other use.
--
Jeff Richards
>I did find answers to many of my questions in:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
> I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder location
> after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in the root path
> folder it appears to have come from will this work? The KB article above
> suggests that user of this option write down the root path to folder file
> before moving the file. Unfortunately, I did not think to do this prior to
> the move/repair selection and there was no warning to user. My first
> attempt
> restore was to use {scanreg / restore} in dos-mode and no luck...
> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> If you uncheck the automatic fix scandisk errors, a prompt pops up and
> three
>> options are allowed. The choices are ignore, move and repair and delete
> the
>> file. If I chose the [move and repair] option, the program moves the file
>> the top of the host local drive C: . My question(s) are what is repaired
> and
>> how do I restore the file to its proper folder location? Do I have to
> repair
>> this file myself? When and why would I want to delete the file?
>>
>> The only errors that scandisk reports are MS-Dos name length errors that
>> exceed 66 characters in length. Why does win98 name some MS-Dos files
>> like
>> this? Is this the only error that scandisk reports? It seems easier to
> just
>> leave the program to autofix everything it finds, but then I would never
>> learn what all it fixes.

0
Jeff
1/21/2010 9:37:01 PM
scandisk can not repair files on a Disk that dyeing and you can not Manually
fixing the problem....
you have bad clusters  <<< time to get a new Hard Drive
Copy the old to  the new diver Scandisk and repair the files new
diver..........

"Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
> I did find answers to many of my questions in:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
> I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder location
> after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in the root path
> folder it appears to have come from will this work? The KB article above
> suggests that user of this option write down the root path to folder file
> before moving the file. Unfortunately, I did not think to do this prior to
> the move/repair selection and there was no warning to user. My first
> attempt
> restore was to use {scanreg / restore} in dos-mode and no luck...
> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> If you uncheck the automatic fix scandisk errors, a prompt pops up and
> three
>> options are allowed. The choices are ignore, move and repair and delete
> the
>> file. If I chose the [move and repair] option, the program moves the file
>> the top of the host local drive C: . My question(s) are what is repaired
> and
>> how do I restore the file to its proper folder location? Do I have to
> repair
>> this file myself? When and why would I want to delete the file?
>>
>> The only errors that scandisk reports are MS-Dos name length errors that
>> exceed 66 characters in length. Why does win98 name some MS-Dos files
>> like
>> this? Is this the only error that scandisk reports? It seems easier to
> just
>> leave the program to autofix everything it finds, but then I would never
>> learn what all it fixes.

0
Hot
1/22/2010 6:02:18 AM
Jim wrote:
> I did find answers to many of my questions in:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
> I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder
> location after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in
> the root path folder it appears to have come from will this work? The
> KB article above suggests that user of this option write down the
> root path to folder file before moving the file. Unfortunately, I did
> not think to do this prior to the move/repair selection and there was
> no warning to user. My first attempt to
> restore was to use {scanreg / restore} in dos-mode and no luck...
> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> If you uncheck the automatic fix scandisk errors, a prompt pops up
>> and three options are allowed. The choices are ignore, move and
>> repair and delete the file. If I chose the [move and repair] option,
>> the program moves the file to the top of the host local drive C: .
>> My question(s) are what is repaired and how do I restore the file to
>> its proper folder location? Do I have to repair this file myself?
>> When and why would I want to delete the file?

I would go with Richards on that -- ignore the DOS Mode name length
errors unless/until you need to access the file in DOS.

>> The only errors that scandisk reports are MS-Dos name length errors
>> that exceed 66 characters in length. Why does win98 name some MS-Dos
>> files like this? Is this the only error that scandisk reports? It
>> seems easier to just leave the program to autofix everything it
>> finds, but then I would never learn what all it fixes.

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
Chris Quirke explains which to fix & which are too horrible for Scandisk
to handle.

It's wisest to have a full system backup around in the event things get
really tough. Probably the hard drive has crashed or is about to crash
when you see the really, really bad ones in great number.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

0
PCR
1/23/2010 4:16:50 AM
Thanks for the many varied responses. I luckily have a current backup and
used it to restore to [original location] and it seems to have worked like a
breeze. Most of these files are system junk collections I will never read
again and perhaps I could have just deleted them without much ado about it.
The KB articles are self explanatory in themselves, so thanks again.
"Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
> I did find answers to many of my questions in:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
> I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder location
> after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in the root path
> folder it appears to have come from will this work? The KB article above
> suggests that user of this option write down the root path to folder file
> before moving the file. Unfortunately, I did not think to do this prior to
> the move/repair selection and there was no warning to user. My first
attempt
> restore was to use {scanreg / restore} in dos-mode and no luck...
> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
> > If you uncheck the automatic fix scandisk errors, a prompt pops up and
> three
> > options are allowed. The choices are ignore, move and repair and delete
> the
> > file. If I chose the [move and repair] option, the program moves the
file
> > the top of the host local drive C: . My question(s) are what is repaired
> and
> > how do I restore the file to its proper folder location? Do I have to
> repair
> > this file myself? When and why would I want to delete the file?
> >
> > The only errors that scandisk reports are MS-Dos name length errors that
> > exceed 66 characters in length. Why does win98 name some MS-Dos files
like
> > this? Is this the only error that scandisk reports? It seems easier to
> just
> > leave the program to autofix everything it finds, but then I would never
> > learn what all it fixes.

0
Jim
1/26/2010 9:12:14 PM
On 01/26/2010 04:12 PM, Jim wrote:
> Thanks for the many varied responses. I luckily have a current backup and
> used it to restore to [original location] and it seems to have worked like a
> breeze. Most of these files are system junk collections I will never read
> again and perhaps I could have just deleted them without much ado about it.
> The KB articles are self explanatory in themselves, so thanks again.
> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> I did find answers to many of my questions in:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
>> I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder location
>> after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in the root path
>> folder it appears to have come from will this work? The KB article above
>> suggests that user of this option write down the root path to folder file
>> before moving the file. Unfortunately, I did not think to do this prior to
>> the move/repair selection and there was no warning to user. My first
> attempt
>> restore was to use {scanreg / restore} in dos-mode and no luck...
>> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>> If you uncheck the automatic fix scandisk errors, a prompt pops up and
>> three
>>> options are allowed. The choices are ignore, move and repair and delete
>> the
>>> file. If I chose the [move and repair] option, the program moves the
> file
>>> the top of the host local drive C: . My question(s) are what is repaired
>> and
>>> how do I restore the file to its proper folder location? Do I have to
>> repair
>>> this file myself? When and why would I want to delete the file?
>>>
>>> The only errors that scandisk reports are MS-Dos name length errors that
>>> exceed 66 characters in length. Why does win98 name some MS-Dos files
> like
>>> this? Is this the only error that scandisk reports? It seems easier to
>> just
>>> leave the program to autofix everything it finds, but then I would never
>>> learn what all it fixes.

 Glad it worked out for you. Backups/images re-installations are always
the safe and easy way, thankfully you had one.
 Its amazing how much junk we collect over time that we really will
never need again, most being outdated or stuff that no longer interests
us. I've got lots of CDs, floppies 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 [had some tape
backups but those are foobarred] laying around from DOS, BBS [even
backed up forums], loads of docs-pdfs-etc, various old Linux, and Win
apps; don't know what I'll ever do with most of this stuff anymore.

 Thanks for posting back with the results.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
Windows Info, Diagnostics, Security, Networking
http://peoplescounsel.org
The "real world" of Law, Justice, and Government
___---
0
MEB
1/26/2010 9:30:40 PM
Jim wrote:
> Thanks for the many varied responses. I luckily have a current backup
> and used it to restore to [original location] and it seems to have
> worked like a breeze. Most of these files are system junk collections
> I will never read again and perhaps I could have just deleted them
> without much ado about it. The KB articles are self explanatory in
> themselves, so thanks again. "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in
> message news:O%23p8d8gmKHA.5612@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

You are welcome. That was smart of you to have a backup!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
Should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net

0
PCR
1/28/2010 11:51:54 PM
So you has a current backup
So was you able to run Scandisk with no errors
are did you just give up?

> Thanks for the many varied responses. I luckily have a current backup and
> used it to restore to [original location] and it seems to have worked like
> breeze. Most of these files are system junk collections I will never read
> again and perhaps I could have just deleted them without much ado about
> it.
> The KB articles are self explanatory in themselves, so thanks again.
> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> I did find answers to many of my questions in:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
>> I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder
>> location
>> after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in the root path
>> folder it appears to have come from will this work? The KB article above
>> suggests that user of this option write down the root path to folder file
>> before moving the file. Unfortunately, I did not think to do this prior
>> the move/repair selection and there was no warning to user. My first
> attempt
>> restore was to use {scanreg / restore} in dos-mode and no luck...
>> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> > If you uncheck the automatic fix scandisk errors, a prompt pops up and
>> three
>> > options are allowed. The choices are ignore, move and repair and delete
>> the
>> > file. If I chose the [move and repair] option, the program moves the
> file
>> > the top of the host local drive C: . My question(s) are what is
>> > repaired
>> and
>> > how do I restore the file to its proper folder location? Do I have to
>> repair
>> > this file myself? When and why would I want to delete the file?
>> >
>> > The only errors that scandisk reports are MS-Dos name length errors
>> > that
>> > exceed 66 characters in length. Why does win98 name some MS-Dos files
> like
>> > this? Is this the only error that scandisk reports? It seems easier to
>> just
>> > leave the program to autofix everything it finds, but then I would
>> > never
>> > learn what all it fixes.

0
Hot
1/29/2010 3:03:40 AM
I am ok.
I ran scandisk without errors, and also did a though scan...which took a
long time. I believe there is some info in those articles about doing a
command-line scan in dos at the prompt, but one needs to load the [Himn.sys]
first to do this procedure to check for errors and implies HDD damages.
I do a regular (old school) backup monthly at the very least, and weekly if
this were a critical workstation.

"Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So you has a current backup
> So was you able to run Scandisk with no errors
> are did you just give up?
>

> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the many varied responses. I luckily have a current backup
and
> > used it to restore to [original location] and it seems to have worked
like
> > breeze. Most of these files are system junk collections I will never
read
> > again and perhaps I could have just deleted them without much ado about
> > it.
> > The KB articles are self explanatory in themselves, so thanks again.
> > "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
> >> I did find answers to many of my questions in:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186365
> >> I did not find out how to restore the file to its original folder
> >> location
> >> after [ move to repair] option. If I just place the file in the root
path
> >> folder it appears to have come from will this work? The KB article
above
> >> suggests that user of this option write down the root path to folder
file
> >> before moving the file. Unfortunately, I did not think to do this prior
> >> the move/repair selection and there was no warning to user. My first
> > attempt
> >> restore was to use {scanreg / restore} in dos-mode and no luck...
> >> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
> >> three
> >> the
> > file
> >> and
> >> repair

> > like
> >> just

0
Jim
1/29/2010 5:17:21 AM
get a new HDD and copy the Old HDD to, Then  put new HDD in the Box and the
day you need it you can be back up and running in 5 min.

For MEB will have same more good INFO for you. so keep a eye out for his
POST

> I am ok.
> I ran scandisk without errors, and also did a though scan...which took a
> long time. I believe there is some info in those articles about doing a
> command-line scan in dos at the prompt, but one needs to load the
> [Himn.sys]
> first to do this procedure to check for errors and implies HDD damages.
> I do a regular (old school) backup monthly at the very least, and weekly
> if
> this were a critical workstation.
>
> "Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> So you has a current backup
>> So was you able to run Scandisk with no errors
>> are did you just give up?
>>

>> "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the many varied responses. I luckily have a current backup
> and
>> > used it to restore to [original location] and it seems to have worked
> like
>> > breeze. Most of these files are system junk collections I will never
> read
>> > again and perhaps I could have just deleted them without much ado about
>> > it.
>> > The KB articles are self explanatory in themselves, so thanks again.
>> > "Jim" <invalid@example.invalid> wrote in message
> path
> above
> file
>> > attempt
> and
> delete
>> > file

>> > like

0
Hot

MSExchangeMU Error
I've been getting the following error on our MS Exchange 2003 Server. Metabase Update failed replication 5 times with error 80070003 (The system cannot find the path specified.). Please change the diagnostic logging level of MSExchangeMU to 'minimum' or greater to find the source of the problem. I change the diagnostic loggong level to the highest, but no additional information is provided. Can anyone give me some direction on how to resolve this? ...

Outlook 2003
I recently upgraded to Office/Outlook 2003 and have two questions: 1) I have attempted to customize Outlook Today in Outlook 2003 from 3 column Standard to 2 column Standard (or any other option). After I hit save it changes the look, but once I click into my Inbox (or other part of Outlook) and then return to Outlook Today it is changed back to 3 column. 2) My Outlook Today page is also missing a graphic which usually resides to the left of the date (the graphic is now replaced with a box with a red "x" in it). Thanks for your help in advance. Tom The DLL file that co...

Error Message: RPC Server is unavailable. Win32 c00706ba
Hi! Since a couple of days I get an error message within the System Manager MMC of Exchange 2003 SP2 if I try to open the database property tab of a mailboxstore from my desktop. This is very strange because if I try to open the same tab from the Exchange Server directly everthing works fine. SP2 is installed on both - server and desktop. Does anybody has got a hint for a solution or even an explanation for that?! Hi Take a look at the following MS KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320073/en-us The symptoms are a little similar and the error is the same, and I suspect the problem...

Report Writer - error message
i'm working on updating our SOP blank packing slip form and received an error message when trying to print it - Max symbol length exceeded: increase MAX_TOK_LEN. we have GP version 10. Any suggestions on what caused this and how to fix it? ...

CString error when moving VC++ 6 project to VC++ .NET
I'm trying to move a VC++ 6 project to VC++ .NET. Unfortunately, I'm getting the following error when I compile my code under VC++ .NET. (I don't get this in VC++ 6.) Code: CARM2000 tempArm(pModemPort, address, CString::CString(), NULL); Error Message: .... error C2039: 'CString' : is not a member of 'ATL::CStringT<BaseType,StringTraits>' with [ BaseType=char, StringTraits=StrTraitMFC_DLL<char> ] Does anyone know what's causing this error? My project doesn't use ATL (at least not to my k...

Runtime Error #6
Outlook 2000 will not open. I get the following message: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error Program C:\programfiles\microsoftoffice\office\outlook.exe This application has requested the runtime to terminiate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information. " There is a box on which I am instructed to click OKAY. Upon clicking okay Outlook disappears. Have you tried running Detect and Repair from any Office program? >-----Original Message----- >Outlook 2000 will not open. I get the following message: > &g...

Messaging subsystem error???
On my pc (XP with SP2) I'm running Outlook '97 on one account and Outlook Express on another. Both have functioned just fine for almost 2 years. Several weeks ago, my wife opened Outlook '97 for her mail and got the following error: "Microsoft Windows(TM) Messaging Subsystem Spooler has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." She has been unable to get or send mail since. My Outlook Express has worked just fine throughout. Any thoughts on how can I get her back in business? I tried going back with XP's system restore, bu...

OWA Public Folder Error 400
While on the local network, I can access public folders via OWA just fine. From outside, the popup starts up for Public Folders from within OWA and I receive and "Unknown Error 400". Any ideas on how I could solve this? Note: We are behind a bordermanager firewall who is proxying our front end exchange server. Take a look at this thread, talks about Firewall not allowing HTTP-WEBDAV-Extension to pass through. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation/browse_thread/thread/51c8951aca0cf48c/f7cdf1b1b103ae18?lnk=st&q=owa+public+folder+fire...

Calculated Fields showing error results
I am trying to get a calculated field to work within a pivot table. The two fields in the pivot table which I'm referencing are sales and Profit dollars. I want the calculated field to show gross profit dollars (percent to total sales represented by profit), but without any error values (!value, div/0, etc.) where there are no sales for a particular line (i.e. customer) in the timeframe I'm analyzing. The formulae I've tried are: =If(iserror(Profit/Sales),"",(Profit/Sales)) =if(isna(Profit/Sales),"",(Profit/Sales)) =if(isnumber(Profit/Sales),(Profit/Sal...

Queue Error
I have define a queue with an email.. when I send a mail to this email, an activity is create and it goes to my queue.. But My text is cropped .. I have only the first char .. Someone know this bug ?? Thx Cbu My server was 1.2 & email router 1.0 ... I have upgrade to email router 1.2 and it's work ...

Error: CRM Sales for Outlook cannot go offline.
Hi, I'm getting this error on two out of four clients when I try to synchronise or go offline. "CRM Sales for Outlook cannot go offline. The Microsoft CRM server was not found." Everything else works fine on the client, i can pull up any records (accounts, Quotes, etc.) fine. It just won't let me go offline. All four machines and users are in the same domain in AD. I have reinstalled the CRM Client on the machine (along with the MSDE) to no avail. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thank in advance. Joel try this When attempting to go offline with the Microso...

Error 3077 Recordset.FindFirst using dates
I am using Access2007 and VB 98 . I have a table whose model is as follows: tblPays FromDate ToDate MonthlyPay 01/03/2008 29/02/2008 7770 01/03/2009 28/02/2009 7970 01/03/2009 28/02/2010 8300 The dates are formatted in Indian Style(dd-mm-yyyy) I have a function now to find the monthly pay rate for a particular period. For example, the period 01-10-2008 To 31-12-2008 should give the monthly rate: 7770 Function MyPay(datFromDate,datToDate) Dim db AS Dao.Database Dim rst AS Dao.Recordset Set rst = db.openrecordset(tblpays,dbopendynaset) “ Now I want to find the monthly p...

Error 8152: String or binary data would be trucated when using upsizing wizard to SQL Server
Hi, While running the upsizing wizard to upsize an access 2003 db to SQL Server 2000 I get the following error: Server Error 8152: String or binary data would be truncated. Server Error 3621: The statement has been terminated. It looks like a field in the resulting table is not large enough to handle the data being inserted but I have no control over this since the wizard is creating the table... How can I find out what is causing the problem? Any idea on how troubleshoot or fix it are welcome. Thank you for your help. Hi, what you can do - try to upsize without transferring data,...

Error C00D1199 with wmv
I get a D1199 error when trying to play a wmv file attachment in an email in Windows 6. I can play the file after I download it. I've had this problem with other wmv email attachments. My wife has no problem opening the attach on her laptop with the same versions of Windows and WMP, but her codec is from Cyberlink Corp, while mine is from NeroAG. WMP version 11.0 Download codecs automatically checked Has anyone had a problem with a Nero codec? How can I replace the codec? Thanks On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 12:34:01 -0800, Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:...

Error Message #7
I all of a sudden can't view anything in office. As soon as I open something that I have used in the past I get an error message. The message is unable to read file. I tried to create something and save it I did but I can't open it. Everything in office is like this Word, Excell, etc. Does any one have any ideas. Thanks Hi Dell, I would write down the error message and search Google groups with the message or part of message enclosed in double quotes. http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100 Then if you can't find a solution post to newsgr...

Runtime Error 438
I was trying to set up a spreadsheet that would play a sound byte when it was opened. It works on my computer and works when I email it to individual people but when I send it out using an email group they all get a Runtime Error 438...any ideas? Take a look at Knowledge Base Article 200271. I think it boils down to the users not having the same DLLs has you do. >-----Original Message----- >I was trying to set up a spreadsheet that would play a >sound byte when it was opened. It works on my computer >and works when I email it to individual people but when I >send i...

Error starting CRM from the Web
I've just installed CRM on a Windows 2003 Server. The Win2003 Server is joined to a domain that is based on Windows 2003 Small Business Server. The Win2003 Server is configured as an application and file server. Doesn't have Active Directory, DNS, or any other services running on it, since SBS2003 handles all of this. I'm trying to add users to CRM in the Win2003 Server via the Deployment Manager, but find that I can't see from any of the users that are in AD on SBS2003. I then tried to add users to CRM manually by calling up the CRM web site on the Win2003 Server. How...

What is error 0x8004014F?
The operation failed. An object could not be found. The above error code. I can't use my outlook. Help. ...

Hotmail strange error
Please someone help me, I don`t know what happened with my hotmail. Well I used to use it everyday to send my emails, ok. But today when I logged in it erased all my email and looked like it whas a nem email. There was just a welacome message from hotmail but all my important emails were gone :( What had happened? I had important messages on there. What should I do know? Sorry for my bad english, I`m from Brazil. I`m desapointed :C Make sure that another e-mail program hasn’t downloaded the messages from Hotmail and stored them in another location. "Giovana Cover" &...

Why am I getting a 530 Authentication error when I try to email
Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 Authentication is required before sending [R0107005]' I can receive emails fine, but can not reply. Have you configured authentication to your SMTP server, the same as your POP server? "Bob B" <Bob B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC57F988-6C2E-45C0-AA06-1344397C4853@microsoft.com... > > Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Cannot send the message. Verify the > ...

Offline Address Book error on Outlook 2003 Clients
I have searched far and wide for the solution and have yet to find it. This is a known error for exchange 2003 as there are more than 100 posts regarding the problem here. I have tried every KB article that was listed in previous posts to no avail. Most posts have no replies. As far as the error goes this is it. An error occurred while opening Microsoft Exchange Offline address Book files on the Microsoft Exchange Server see Your Administrator. Microsoft office could not download address book. The Offline Addr Book is there and I have rebiult several times. Still error. I don&#...

DEP Protecion Error
hi Everyone, I just searched this newsgroup and didn't find my answer, so here's my question. We have noticed that after the Windows server 2003's were upgraded to Service Pack 1 we receive a DEP error when it tries to communicate. I researched DEP and found that it is a new security function of Service Pack 1. What can we do for a workaround? We are not using the newest version of HQ Client, although the second to last major release. Please let me know. Thank You! eric ...

automatical error reports to Microsoft
Hi. Years ago, I elected to send those auto messages to MS when a program crashed. I now feel I have done my civic duty and no longer wish to participate. Somehow, I accidentally found a place to turn it off, and for a few days or weeks maybe had blessed relief. Now Outlook is back to asking me to send a report every time it crashes...which is a lot. Anybody know how to tell it to stop asking? I'll be eternally grateful. -- hammar2007 It is a function of Windows XP. Please look up Error Reporting in Windows Help and support, and follow the links to change the settings....

sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read from o
HP pavillion A1430N Xp version 5.1.2600 sp2 build 2600 X86 based AMD Athlon 64xdual Install goes well until right after a restore point is set. Get "unable to read from or write to database"Does anyone haave any ideas?- Thanks,- gship http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915169 is applicable to SP3 WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx -=- 02/09/1004:59:13 pm "gship" wrote: > HP pavillion A1430N &...

Letter Writing assistant error #2
I have some users that receive this error when trying to use the letter writing assistant (employee letters is where this is happening) LWData.RMP is locked for editing by 'another user'. We use Dynamics on a terminal server, 9.0 SQL server 2005. Does anyone know how to correct this? Other users seem to be able to use the same employee letter and do not get this message. -- Doug Sorry, the error message is: LWAData.TMP is locked for editing, I had a typo in my first messasge... -- Doug "Doug" wrote: > I have some users that receive this error when try...