Re: Win98SE and Comcast Hi Speed Internet (cable)?

OK, I finally got the Comcast Cable Internet connection set up and working,
by using the USB port.   (I tried installing several a few PCI network cards
as suggested, and couldn't get any of them to work (even had a few blue
screens along the way, relating to some VFAT issues, and perhaps some IRQ
conflicts, but I'm very OK with just using the USB method to get hi speed
access, at least for now).

But - I have a slightly annoying residual problem here on my Win98SE
computer (and only on that one), which I haven't been able to resolve:

I have both Comcast Cable (for hi-speed) AND dial-up as a fallback (using
Earthlink, since my email account is with Earthlink, and is a POP3 email
account), without any major problems.  (I have an account with Earthlink,
which is noth my email and Usenet provider).

However, whenever I'm connected using Comcast on the Win98SE computer, and
initially try to read email in OE (clicking Send and Receive), it always
*initiates* a dial-up connection, even though the USB Comcast cable
connection is connected and is working for IE, which is a bit annoying.

I've checked all my connection settings in OE and IE, and can't find
anything wrong in my settings.   This problem doesn't happen with the XP
computer and Comcast, which has similar settings (although it uses an
Ethernet card, not USB).

Interestingly enough, after OE *initially* connects via dial-up and reads
the mail, OE promptly disconnects the dial-up connection afterwards, and
everything is fine from that point onward (meaning, if I click Send and
Receive again, it does not reconnect via dial-up, which is good!).   But
when I close OE, and then reopen OE again, I have to go through this whole
thing again (always initially connects through the dial-up modem to read the
mail the first time).

Does anybody have a clue as to why it does this?

0
Bill
6/24/2010 8:49:35 PM
win98.gen_discussion 237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> OK, I finally got the Comcast Cable Internet connection set up and
> working, by using the USB port.   (I tried installing several a few
> PCI network cards as suggested, and couldn't get any of them to work
> (even had a few blue screens along the way, relating to some VFAT
> issues, and perhaps some IRQ conflicts, but I'm very OK with just
> using the USB method to get hi speed access, at least for now).
>
> But - I have a slightly annoying residual problem here on my Win98SE
> computer (and only on that one), which I haven't been able to resolve:
>
> I have both Comcast Cable (for hi-speed) AND dial-up as a fallback
> (using Earthlink, since my email account is with Earthlink, and is a
> POP3 email account), without any major problems.  (I have an account
> with Earthlink, which is noth my email and Usenet provider).
>
> However, whenever I'm connected using Comcast on the Win98SE computer,
> and initially try to read email in OE (clicking Send and Receive), it
> always *initiates* a dial-up connection, even though the USB Comcast
> cable connection is connected and is working for IE, which is a bit
> annoying.
>
> I've checked all my connection settings in OE and IE, and can't find
> anything wrong in my settings.   This problem doesn't happen with the
> XP computer and Comcast, which has similar settings (although it uses
> an Ethernet card, not USB).
>
> Interestingly enough, after OE *initially* connects via dial-up and
> reads the mail, OE promptly disconnects the dial-up connection
> afterwards, and everything is fine from that point onward (meaning, if
> I click Send and Receive again, it does not reconnect via dial-up,
> which is good!).   But when I close OE, and then reopen OE again, I
> have to go through this whole thing again (always initially connects
> through the dial-up modem to read the mail the first time).
>
> Does anybody have a clue as to why it does this?

IIRC somewhere in your dial-up networking settings is a box to uncheck
about dialing up when no other network is detected.

Been so long since I used Win98.

0
FromTheRafters
6/24/2010 9:20:22 PM
On 6/24/2010 17:20, FromTheRafters wrote:
> "Bill in Co."<not_really_here@earthlink.net>  wrote in message
>> OK, I finally got the Comcast Cable Internet connection set up and
>> working, by using the USB port.   (I tried installing several a few
>> PCI network cards as suggested, and couldn't get any of them to work
>> (even had a few blue screens along the way, relating to some VFAT
>> issues, and perhaps some IRQ conflicts, but I'm very OK with just
>> using the USB method to get hi speed access, at least for now).
>>
>> But - I have a slightly annoying residual problem here on my Win98SE
>> computer (and only on that one), which I haven't been able to resolve:
>>
>> I have both Comcast Cable (for hi-speed) AND dial-up as a fallback
>> (using Earthlink, since my email account is with Earthlink, and is a
>> POP3 email account), without any major problems.  (I have an account
>> with Earthlink, which is noth my email and Usenet provider).
>>
>> However, whenever I'm connected using Comcast on the Win98SE computer,
>> and initially try to read email in OE (clicking Send and Receive), it
>> always *initiates* a dial-up connection, even though the USB Comcast
>> cable connection is connected and is working for IE, which is a bit
>> annoying.
>>
>> I've checked all my connection settings in OE and IE, and can't find
>> anything wrong in my settings.   This problem doesn't happen with the
>> XP computer and Comcast, which has similar settings (although it uses
>> an Ethernet card, not USB).
>>
>> Interestingly enough, after OE *initially* connects via dial-up and
>> reads the mail, OE promptly disconnects the dial-up connection
>> afterwards, and everything is fine from that point onward (meaning, if
>> I click Send and Receive again, it does not reconnect via dial-up,
>> which is good!).   But when I close OE, and then reopen OE again, I
>> have to go through this whole thing again (always initially connects
>> through the dial-up modem to read the mail the first time).
>>
>> Does anybody have a clue as to why it does this?
>
> IIRC somewhere in your dial-up networking settings is a box to uncheck
> about dialing up when no other network is detected.
>
 > Been so long since I used Win98.

Or possibly the connection setting under OE for the specific account.
Account > Properties > Connection (tab). Uncheck "Always connect using"

0
Bill
6/24/2010 10:44:29 PM
"Bill in Co." wrote:

> I tried installing several a few PCI network cards as suggested,
> and couldn't get any of them to work (even had a few blue
> screens along the way, relating to some VFAT issues, and
> perhaps some IRQ conflicts

I've always found that setting up a PCI ethernet card on a win-98
machine is as easy as falling off a log.

Using USB is extraordinarily, well, dumb.
FromTheRafters wrote:

> Been so long since I used Win98.

Then why are you reading and posting to this group?
Bill Blanton wrote:
> On 6/24/2010 17:20, FromTheRafters wrote:
>> "Bill in Co."<not_really_here@earthlink.net>  wrote in message
>>> OK, I finally got the Comcast Cable Internet connection set up and
>>> working, by using the USB port.   (I tried installing several a few
>>> PCI network cards as suggested, and couldn't get any of them to work
>>> (even had a few blue screens along the way, relating to some VFAT
>>> issues, and perhaps some IRQ conflicts, but I'm very OK with just
>>> using the USB method to get hi speed access, at least for now).
>>>
>>> But - I have a slightly annoying residual problem here on my Win98SE
>>> computer (and only on that one), which I haven't been able to resolve:
>>>
>>> I have both Comcast Cable (for hi-speed) AND dial-up as a fallback
>>> (using Earthlink, since my email account is with Earthlink, and is a
>>> POP3 email account), without any major problems.  (I have an account
>>> with Earthlink, which is noth my email and Usenet provider).
>>>
>>> However, whenever I'm connected using Comcast on the Win98SE computer,
>>> and initially try to read email in OE (clicking Send and Receive), it
>>> always *initiates* a dial-up connection, even though the USB Comcast
>>> cable connection is connected and is working for IE, which is a bit
>>> annoying.
>>>
>>> I've checked all my connection settings in OE and IE, and can't find
>>> anything wrong in my settings.   This problem doesn't happen with the
>>> XP computer and Comcast, which has similar settings (although it uses
>>> an Ethernet card, not USB).
>>>
>>> Interestingly enough, after OE *initially* connects via dial-up and
>>> reads the mail, OE promptly disconnects the dial-up connection
>>> afterwards, and everything is fine from that point onward (meaning, if
>>> I click Send and Receive again, it does not reconnect via dial-up,
>>> which is good!).   But when I close OE, and then reopen OE again, I
>>> have to go through this whole thing again (always initially connects
>>> through the dial-up modem to read the mail the first time).
>>>
>>> Does anybody have a clue as to why it does this?
>>
>> IIRC somewhere in your dial-up networking settings is a box to uncheck
>> about dialing up when no other network is detected.

Settings are ok there.   (I've tried it both ways ("never dial a
connection", or "dial whenever a network connection is not required" -
didn't solve it).

>> Been so long since I used Win98.
>
> Or possibly the connection setting under OE for the specific account.
> Account > Properties > Connection (tab). Uncheck "Always connect using"

No, those settings are ok (checked those before).

Maybe it has something to do with using a USB pseudo LAN connection, and OE
isn't smart enough to recognize it's already connected when first invoked,
even though it's sharing settings with IE.

Although that doesn't really explain it, either, since after the initial
connection, it never dials-up again, unless - and until - I close OE, and
start OE again.  (again, all of this is happening while I am connected to
cable internet)

0
Bill
6/24/2010 11:28:18 PM
"98 Guy" <98@Guy.com> wrote in message news:4C23E646.94627A11@Guy.com...
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>> Been so long since I used Win98.
>
> Then why are you reading and posting to this group?

Because I want to.

0
FromTheRafters
6/25/2010 12:20:49 AM
On 6/24/2010 19:28, Bill in Co. wrote:
> Bill Blanton wrote:
>> On 6/24/2010 17:20, FromTheRafters wrote:
>>> "Bill in Co."<not_really_here@earthlink.net>   wrote in message

>>> IIRC somewhere in your dial-up networking settings is a box to uncheck
>>> about dialing up when no other network is detected.
>
> Settings are ok there.   (I've tried it both ways ("never dial a
> connection", or "dial whenever a network connection is not required" -
> didn't solve it).
>

>> Or possibly the connection setting under OE for the specific account.
>> Account>  Properties>  Connection (tab). Uncheck "Always connect using"
>
> No, those settings are ok (checked those before).
>
> Maybe it has something to do with using a USB pseudo LAN connection, and OE
> isn't smart enough to recognize it's already connected when first invoked,
> even though it's sharing settings with IE.
>
> Although that doesn't really explain it, either, since after the initial
> connection, it never dials-up again, unless - and until - I close OE, and
> start OE again.  (again, all of this is happening while I am connected to
> cable internet)

I had the same problem when I first got cable , and still had my modem
and phone line connected (though not USB, I'd think that wouldn't be a
factor) . I can't remember exactly how I resolved it. But, you might try
"Always connect ... using" > Local Area Network if you haven't already.

0
Bill
6/25/2010 1:31:37 AM
Bill Blanton wrote:
> On 6/24/2010 19:28, Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Bill Blanton wrote:

>> Settings are ok there.   (I've tried it both ways ("never dial a
>> connection", or "dial whenever a network connection is not required" -
>> didn't solve it).
>>

>>> Or possibly the connection setting under OE for the specific account.
>>> Account>  Properties>  Connection (tab). Uncheck "Always connect using"
>>
>> No, those settings are ok (checked those before).
>>
>> Maybe it has something to do with using a USB pseudo LAN connection, and
>> OE
>> isn't smart enough to recognize it's already connected when first
>> invoked,
>> even though it's sharing settings with IE.
>>
>> Although that doesn't really explain it, either, since after the initial
>> connection, it never dials-up again, unless - and until - I close OE, and
>> start OE again.  (again, all of this is happening while I am connected to
>> cable internet)
>
> I had the same problem when I first got cable , and still had my modem
> and phone line connected (though not USB, I'd think that wouldn't be a
> factor) . I can't remember exactly how I resolved it. But, you might try
> "Always connect ... using" > Local Area Network if you haven't already.

OK, I did some more tests, and FINALLY found the problem.   I can't believe
it - "always expect the unexpected" comes to mind.  The problem was due to
AVG Free Edition - by disabling the email plug-in in AVG, the problem of
initially dialing up for email was resolved.

Also, I tried one other Ethernet network card that I had (an oldie but
goodie, as recommended by someone here - the Network Everywhere NC100), and
was able to get that one card to work without too much fuss (but with some
yellow exclamation points in Device Manager, though).   It seems the newer
Ethernet cards can be problematic for some older (e.g: 2000) Dell Win98SE
machines, due to either hardware or software issues.  However, since I only
use the Win98SE computer as a backup, I'm probably just going to use it
without the Ethernet card installed and fully debugged until the need
arises.

Interestingly, when testing out the Internet connection, it seemed the
Ethernet connection was a bit faster than when using the alternate USB2
connection, which you might expect.    BUT from what I had read, you
shouldn't be seeing much, if any, noticeable difference.   Presumably the
typical Internet cable transfer rates (in Mbps) are still below the max USB2
transfer speeds, but I don't have the specs on that.   I'm on the Economy
Comcast Internet plan (which is only a 1 Mbps max transfer rate, but which
is fine by me, coming from dial-up all these years  :-).

0
Bill
6/25/2010 5:48:34 AM
In message <uDLxNoCFLHA.4120@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Bill in Co.
<not_really_here@earthlink.net> writes:
[]
>Interestingly, when testing out the Internet connection, it seemed the
>Ethernet connection was a bit faster than when using the alternate USB2
>connection, which you might expect.    BUT from what I had read, you
>shouldn't be seeing much, if any, noticeable difference.   Presumably the
>typical Internet cable transfer rates (in Mbps) are still below the max USB2
>transfer speeds, but I don't have the specs on that.   I'm on the Economy
>Comcast Internet plan (which is only a 1 Mbps max transfer rate, but which
>is fine by me, coming from dial-up all these years  :-).

Are both ends of your USB2 connection - the device and the port it's
connected to - definitely USB2?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"Who came first? Adam or Eve?"          "Adam of course; men always do."
Victoria Wood (via Peter Hesketh)
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <uDLxNoCFLHA.4120@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Bill in Co.
> <not_really_here@earthlink.net> writes:
> []
>> Interestingly, when testing out the Internet connection, it seemed the
>> Ethernet connection was a bit faster than when using the alternate USB2
>> connection, which you might expect.    BUT from what I had read, you
>> shouldn't be seeing much, if any, noticeable difference.   Presumably the
>> typical Internet cable transfer rates (in Mbps) are still below the max
>> USB2
>> transfer speeds, but I don't have the specs on that.   I'm on the Economy
>> Comcast Internet plan (which is only a 1 Mbps max transfer rate, but
>> which is fine by me, coming from dial-up all these years  :-).
>>

> Are both ends of your USB2 connection - the device and the port it's
> connected to - definitely USB2?
> --

Pretty certain!    I'm using a PCI  USB2 card which I added to my PC some
time ago, and the USB cable then goes to a relatively new Comcast hi speed
modem that has both USB and Ethernet sockets (a nice feature, I might add,
because you can use either one or even both (to two separate computers
simultaneously).

=====

What I don't quite understand is why ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
seemed to get installed (or at least part of it did).   ICS showed up in
Device Manager (under Network or Modem - can't recall).

But I'm not sharing that computer with anyone else (I am not connected to a
network to any other computers here), so go figure.   Hmmm, maybe just
plugging in an Ethernet card means ICS should be installed by default (just
in case, for that possibility?).

When I tried installing the Ethernet Card, I had some residual yellow
exclamation point issues there (in reference to some ICS driver issues
relating to NDIS or NDIS2 that I couldn't really resolve), but it at least
worked ok).

0
Bill
6/25/2010 9:06:11 PM
Can somebody shed some light on this one issue?   (This was in reference to
adding a hi-speed cable internet connection in Win98SE (and still keeping
dial-up as a fallback):

After setting up the hi-speed internet connection (via either USB or
Ethernet),
I don't understand why ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) seemed to get
installed too (or at least part of it did) in Device Manager.   ICS showed
up in
Device Manager (under Network or Modem, can't recall which, but I think it
was under Network).   But I'm NOT sharing my computer with any other one (I
am NOT connected to a network to any other computers here), so why would ICS
need to be installed (in Win98SE)?

Maybe just plugging in an Ethernet card means ICS should be installed by
default (just in case, for the possibility of networking other computers)??

BTW, when I tried installing the Ethernet Card, I had some residual yellow
exclamation point issues there (in reference to some ICS driver issues
relating to NDIS or NDIS2 that I couldn't really resolve), but, at least
it worked ok).

0
Bill
6/27/2010 5:34:02 AM
Bill in Co. wrote:
> Can somebody shed some light on this one issue?   (This was in
> reference to adding a hi-speed cable internet connection in Win98SE
> (and still keeping dial-up as a fallback):
>
> After setting up the hi-speed internet connection (via either USB or
> Ethernet),
> I don't understand why ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) seemed to get
> installed too (or at least part of it did) in Device Manager.   ICS
> showed up in
> Device Manager (under Network or Modem, can't recall which, but I
> think it was under Network).   But I'm NOT sharing my computer with
> any other one (I am NOT connected to a network to any other computers
> here), so why would ICS need to be installed (in Win98SE)?
>
> Maybe just plugging in an Ethernet card means ICS should be installed
> by default (just in case, for the possibility of networking other
> computers)??

You could be right with that guess that somehow ICS got turn on due to
the install of that ethernet card. I don't really know. Do you recall
the Internet Connection Sharing wizard running? Mine is
unchecked/disabled -- but I can't recall whether the machine came that
way. It's controllable at...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234815
Description of Internet Connection Sharing
.........Quote................
You can enable Internet Connection Sharing by using the Add/Remove
Programs tool in Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Me:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel,
    and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
2. On the Windows Setup tab, double-click Internet Tools.
3. Click to select the Internet Connection Sharing check box,
    and then click OK.
4. Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen to
    run the Internet Connection Sharing wizard.
........EOQ......................

> BTW, when I tried installing the Ethernet Card, I had some residual
> yellow exclamation point issues there (in reference to some ICS
> driver issues relating to NDIS or NDIS2 that I couldn't really
> resolve), but, at least
> it worked ok).

Next time -- if we're still here -- post the error showing at...
''MSInfo32, Components, Problem Devices''
.... not that I'd be the one to solve it necessarily.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

0
PCR
7/1/2010 1:05:31 AM
PCR wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Can somebody shed some light on this one issue?   (This was in
>> reference to adding a hi-speed cable internet connection in Win98SE
>> (and still keeping dial-up as a fallback):
>>
>> After setting up the hi-speed internet connection (via either USB or
>> Ethernet),
>> I don't understand why ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) seemed to get
>> installed too (or at least part of it did) in Device Manager.   ICS
>> showed up in
>> Device Manager (under Network or Modem, can't recall which, but I
>> think it was under Network).   But I'm NOT sharing my computer with
>> any other one (I am NOT connected to a network to any other computers
>> here), so why would ICS need to be installed (in Win98SE)?
>>
>> Maybe just plugging in an Ethernet card means ICS should be installed
>> by default (just in case, for the possibility of networking other
>> computers)??
>>

> You could be right with that guess that somehow ICS got turn on due to
> the install of that ethernet card.  I don't really know.  Do you recall
> the Internet Connection Sharing wizard running?

No, it never ran.

> Mine is unchecked/disabled -- but I can't recall whether the machine came
> came that way.

It might be interesting to know.   Actually, when I went into Control Panel
and checked it under Add Remove Programs, windows components, it indicated
that nothing there had been installed.   But under Device Manager, it showed
an entry.   Perhaps it's a ghost entry.  :-)

> It's controllable at...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234815
> Description of Internet Connection Sharing
> ........Quote................
> You can enable Internet Connection Sharing by using the Add/Remove
> Programs tool in Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Me:
>
> 1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel,
>    and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
> 2. On the Windows Setup tab, double-click Internet Tools.
> 3. Click to select the Internet Connection Sharing check box,
>    and then click OK.
> 4. Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen to
>    run the Internet Connection Sharing wizard.
> .......EOQ......................
>
>> BTW, when I tried installing the Ethernet Card, I had some residual
>> yellow exclamation point issues there (in reference to some ICS
>> driver issues relating to NDIS or NDIS2 that I couldn't really
>> resolve), but, at least
>> it worked ok).
>
> Next time -- if we're still here -- post the error showing at...
> ''MSInfo32, Components, Problem Devices''
> ... not that I'd be the one to solve it necessarily.

Well, that may be awhile, since I'm back on XP now (finally getting that one
fixed (due to bad power supply!)   But TNX.   :-)

0
Bill
7/1/2010 4:29:23 AM
Bill in Co. wrote:
> PCR wrote:
>> Bill in Co. wrote:
>>> Can somebody shed some light on this one issue?   (This was in
>>> reference to adding a hi-speed cable internet connection in Win98SE
>>> (and still keeping dial-up as a fallback):
>>>
>>> After setting up the hi-speed internet connection (via either USB or
>>> Ethernet),
>>> I don't understand why ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) seemed to
>>> get installed too (or at least part of it did) in Device Manager.
>>> ICS showed up in
>>> Device Manager (under Network or Modem, can't recall which, but I
>>> think it was under Network).   But I'm NOT sharing my computer with
>>> any other one (I am NOT connected to a network to any other
>>> computers here), so why would ICS need to be installed (in Win98SE)?
>>>
>>> Maybe just plugging in an Ethernet card means ICS should be
>>> installed by default (just in case, for the possibility of
>>> networking other computers)??
>>>

>> You could be right with that guess that somehow ICS got turn on due
>> to the install of that ethernet card.  I don't really know.  Do you
>> recall the Internet Connection Sharing wizard running?
>
> No, it never ran.

I suppose it wouldn't have to be, but that took your choice in the
matter away.

>> Mine is unchecked/disabled -- but I can't recall whether the machine
>> came came that way.
>
> It might be interesting to know.

It sounds like something I might have disabled for safety or for simply
deciding I'd never use it. I know I've done things in that Add/Remove,
Windows Components requestor. But chances are equally good this already
was disabled to begin with. But I haven't a prayer of remembering it! It
was Compaq that originally did the install.

>   Actually, when I went into Control
> Panel and checked it under Add Remove Programs, windows components,
> it indicated that nothing there had been installed.

The ethernet install I guess failed to notify that interface of the
install.

>   But under
> Device Manager, it showed an entry.   Perhaps it's a ghost entry.  :-)

I have nothing in Device Manager at Modem, Network Adapters, or anywhere
showing ICS. But -- who knows -- you may need it there having installed
your ethernet card. If there is such a thing, this may even be a
modified ICS peculiar to that card. I guess -- if you're sure you'll
never use it & that card doesn't itself need it-- you may attempt to
remove it. But I don't want it on my head. Ensure you can reverse
whatever you do.

>> It's controllable at...
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234815
>> Description of Internet Connection Sharing
>> ........Quote................
>> You can enable Internet Connection Sharing by using the Add/Remove
>> Programs tool in Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Me:
>>
>> 1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel,
>>    and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
>> 2. On the Windows Setup tab, double-click Internet Tools.
>> 3. Click to select the Internet Connection Sharing check box,
>>    and then click OK.
>> 4. Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen to
>>    run the Internet Connection Sharing wizard.
>> .......EOQ......................
>>
>>> BTW, when I tried installing the Ethernet Card, I had some residual
>>> yellow exclamation point issues there (in reference to some ICS
>>> driver issues relating to NDIS or NDIS2 that I couldn't really
>>> resolve), but, at least
>>> it worked ok).
>>
>> Next time -- if we're still here -- post the error showing at...
>> ''MSInfo32, Components, Problem Devices''
>> ... not that I'd be the one to solve it necessarily.
>
> Well, that may be awhile, since I'm back on XP now (finally getting
> that one fixed (due to bad power supply!)   But TNX.   :-)

YW. I was wondering whether you were right about that power supply,
since an indicator was still lit. Glad you were & it's done.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
Should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net

0
PCR
7/2/2010 9:11:52 PM
PCR wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> PCR wrote:

>>> You could be right with that guess that somehow ICS got turn on due
>>> to the install of that ethernet card.  I don't really know.  Do you
>>> recall the Internet Connection Sharing wizard running?
>>
>> No, it never ran.
>>

> I suppose it wouldn't have to be, but that took your choice in the
> matter away.
>
>>> Mine is unchecked/disabled -- but I can't recall whether the machine
>>> came came that way.
>>
>> It might be interesting to know.
>
> It sounds like something I might have disabled for safety or for simply
> deciding I'd never use it. I know I've done things in that Add/Remove,
> Windows Components requestor. But chances are equally good this already
> was disabled to begin with. But I haven't a prayer of remembering it! It
> was Compaq that originally did the install.
>
>>   Actually, when I went into Control
>> Panel and checked it under Add Remove Programs, windows components,
>> it indicated that nothing there had been installed.
>
> The ethernet install I guess failed to notify that interface of the
> install.
>
>>   But under
>> Device Manager, it showed an entry.   Perhaps it's a ghost entry.  :-)
>>

> I have nothing in Device Manager at Modem, Network Adapters, or anywhere
> showing ICS. But -- who knows -- you may need it there having installed
> your ethernet card. If there is such a thing, this may even be a
> modified ICS peculiar to that card. I guess -- if you're sure you'll
> never use it & that card doesn't itself need it-- you may attempt to
> remove it. But I don't want it on my head. Ensure you can reverse
> whatever you do.
>
>>> It's controllable at...
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234815
>>> Description of Internet Connection Sharing
>>> ........Quote................
>>> You can enable Internet Connection Sharing by using the Add/Remove
>>> Programs tool in Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Me:
>>>
>>> 1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel,
>>>    and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
>>> 2. On the Windows Setup tab, double-click Internet Tools.
>>> 3. Click to select the Internet Connection Sharing check box,
>>>    and then click OK.
>>> 4. Click OK, and then follow the instructions on the screen to
>>>    run the Internet Connection Sharing wizard.
>>> .......EOQ......................

>>> Next time -- if we're still here -- post the error showing at...
>>> ''MSInfo32, Components, Problem Devices''
>>> ... not that I'd be the one to solve it necessarily.
>>
>> Well, that may be awhile, since I'm back on XP now (finally getting
>> that one fixed (due to bad power supply!)   But TNX.   :-)
>
> YW. I was wondering whether you were right about that power supply,
> since an indicator was still lit. Glad you were & it's done.

TNX.   :-)
The only thing the computer did when I turned it on was show an amber color
for the power on button.   No sounds, no booting, nada.   (The fact that it
showed that color meant at least it was plugged in :-)   I figured the odds
were in pretty much in favor of a bad power supply, but I was really holding
my breath that it wasn't a bad motherboard; getting any exact replacements
after a few years ... is pretty darn difficult (and probably available only
via eBay).    I did do it once before, however, for an older Dell, and it
was pretty lucky that I could find the exact one.

I was reading that there are a few horror stories about some power supplies
in the past, that when they failed, would take out the motherboard along
with them (due to excessive voltages on some rails - now that's BAD!).

This also kinda reminds me of some cases I'd heard of before that when a car
battery died, it could also take out the alternator along with it.   Now
THAT is bad!

0
Bill

Re-arranging table using pivot-table?

Re-install Outlook 2002

hi 03-24-10
hola como estas “lovosolitario60@yahoo.com”說: “日hola como estas ...

Re-Enable CRM User

Internet Traffic
Hi! Is there any mfc class or api to monitor the quantity of bytes tranfered between one computer and the Internet (from any application)? How can I implement? Thanks!! World Discover wrote: > > Hi! > > Is there any mfc class or api to monitor the quantity of > bytes tranfered between one computer and the Internet > (from any application)? How can I implement? > > Thanks!! Lots of numbers like that can be obtained by calling the GetTcpStatistics and/or GetIpStatistics APIs. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] Hi, In addition, I recommend you the following KB arti...

RE:Excel will not open from a web link

Re: exmerge error

How do I leave emails on the server so Blackberry Internet Servic.
I set up my email on my new Blackberry Storm. Got an email from Blackberry that said: "If you use Outlook to access your email messages, change your email client settings to leave your email messages on the server. If the email client does not leave email messages on the server, the BlackBerry Internet Service may not be able to deliver them to your Blackberry" Where do I find the option to leave email messages on the server? I looked under Tools >Options>Preferences>Email options and couldn't find it. THANKS! Racingdog;113903 Wrote: > I se...

re re re ????
nefertiti ??? ...

Re:

Re-enter payee information
I have been using MS Money to pay bills and frequent annoyance is when I type in the payee, the selection list never shows the payees. I type it in and have to re- enter the account number and everything. Doesn't make sense that i have to keep putting this in. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I've checked these boards and found help with my passport problem but no entries on this issue. Money has two kinds of Payees. Explicit--those on the explicit list that shows in Accounts & Bills|Categories & Payees|Payees--and implicit--those that are recorded somewhere in a tra...

Re: Where should be the best place to stored Applcation Data Files?
"Giovanni Dicanio" <gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> ha scritto nel messaggio news:... > BTW: this post by John Robbins is very interesting reading: > http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/default.aspx copy-and-pasto - the correct link is this: http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2008/07/10/in-defense-of-vista-and-the-challenges-facing-windows-7.aspx Giovanni And then there's this Vista security discussion from last Friday (cool date, 8/8/8): http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/08/1155208 -GB On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 18:50:23 +0200, ...

Re: Outlook locks up with a officelifeboathang
"Andy Lay" <58746@gmail.com> wrote in message news:... > Message-ID: <a7b660e6180d48ddae1e1df6c5775272@newspe.com> > X-Mailer: http://www.umailcampaign.com, ip log:72.24.97.26 > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general > NNTP-Posting-Host: 22.bb.5446.static.theplanet.com 70.84.187.34 > Path: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl!newspe.com > Lines: 1 > Xref: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.outlook.general:737044 > > Hi Swinglower- > > I have luck as you do :) A Chief Exec machine with this very issue....

RE: Apply this critical update from M$
--wmhrdizzoa Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="axyeonzy"; type="multipart/alternative" --axyeonzy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="innmlsikefhcqjc" --innmlsikefhcqjc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keep...

Re: Share sub-folder in Inbox
I already grant the permission to right person and add secondary mailbox to the exchange account, in his outlook folder list, he can see the shared mailbox, but only mailbox not the sub-folder, if we share those sub-folders individually, then we can view under shared mailbox, but this shouldn't be the way. we want it sub-folder can be viewed and not be set one by one. any idea? thanks Henry "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message news:%237hESO3PFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... Either you haven't completed the process of granting permission...

Re: How to delay ToolTip display time in CListCtrl Control
"Smallfrogs" <super_smallfrogs@hotmail.com> д���ʼ� news:... > Thanks > "Ali R." <nospam@nospam.com> д���ʼ� > news:snPYb.436$1V5.123111568@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com... > > ((CListCtrl > > *)GetDlgItem(IDC_MYLIST))->GetToolTips()->SetDelayTime(TTDT_AUTOPOP,5000); > > > > or if you have variable for your list > > m_MyList.GetToolTips()->SetDelayTime(TTDT_AUTOPOP,5000); > > > > that will set how long it stays up after it is displayed. > > > > Change TTDT_AUTOPOP with TTDT_INITIAL to change the...

RE RE: XP Install
Thank you for the information. --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- Dilly Dally wrote: > Thank you for the information. Did you post a whole new conversation to 'reply' to one you started? It certainly looks like it right now: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_frm/thread/1cff3f90816a82a9/ That is your original posting - as archived. As of right now (could be I need to wait for it ...

FRx speed
What is the best way to speed up FRx? Can part of it be moved to a SQL server to make it faster? Michael, I didnt understand what you mean by moving it to SQL Server. There is nothing in FRx that goes to SQL. FRx sits on Access Database. -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP Note: If you are a Microsoft Partner, You can also Login to Dynamics GP partner forums at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerdynamicsgp/threads "Michael@nyresume.com" wrote: > What is the best way to speed up FRx? Can part of it be moved to a SQL server > to make it faster? It was wis...

Configuration for Internet Mail (Exchange 2003)
We are setting up Exchange server 2003 to replace our old mail server. We have trouble redirecting inbound mail to mailboxes. The inbound mail stays in the folder \Exchsrvr\MailRoot\VSI 1\Queue. So when we do a sending/receiving operation from Outlook, we got nothing. We tried to use the Internet Mail Wizard but we keep getting the following error "Can not be part of a Network Load Balancing Cluster" even if we are not part of a load balancing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. "Jonathan Grand-Maison" <jgrandmaison@chca.ca> wrote: > >We are setting ...

Re: Re: List View question
Thanks a lot for that. But I am asking after multiselect handling in a listVIEW not a listBOX. The method you describe is not available for listviews. regards, Jos --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- If you use checkboxes in front of the rows you could use something like this: Dim li As ListItem For Each li In Me.yourlistviewname.ListItems If li.Checked Then --do something with-- (li) End If Next where the name of the listview has to be r...

Restoring from an OST after re-build new Exch2003
The original Exchanger server was gone during disaster. So a new one was rebuild from scratch with the same Wins/DNS/Domain name. Identically users name were also created w/ new set of pwd. The outlook 2003 clients had been using OST before and after the disaster. But now, the new server is connected. OL Exch Client Profile was re-created. Only at that point, we reliazed the OST file was not accessible anymore. All the old email is gone now. One thing we did before re-connect to the new server was to copy the entire directory C:\Documents and Settings\User1\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlo...

setup Internet Connection Fierewal (ICF)l on Exchange server
I tried setting up ICF on my Windows 2003 box where my Exchange 2003 is running on and my clients were not able to talk to the exchange server. How can this be setup without interrupting internal connectivity? Thanks, Rafael This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C3F0B7.357D4770 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Some suggestions below.....=20 302914 - XCCC: How Outlook 2000 Accesses Active Directory 148732 - XADM: Setting TCP/IP Port Numbers for Internet Firewalls 155831 - XCCC: Sett...