Ghosting a win98 machine

Is there any software out there that would allow me to ghost a win98 machine?
win98.gen_discussion 237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

ghosting? Do you mean taking a complete back-up?

--
sabun, gereksiz işler şerifi.

"CTC IT Mgr" <CTCITMgr@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide şunu yazdı
> Is there any software out there that would allow me to ghost a win98
> machine?

0
sabun

=C4=B1news:491789AA-6F45-4C73-9C55-FF7BE60B70BF@microsoft.com...

> > Is there any software out there that would allow me to ghost a win98
> > machine?

I know for a fact that the older version of Symantic Ghost, when it
was called Norton Ghost works perfectly. I used that up until I was
laid off in 2007 to reimage older computers using the older Windows 98
installation of my former company's POS software. It didn't matter if
it used Windows 98 or Windows Embedded. Actually, the disk we used to
boot the machines and run Ghost seemed to be using MS-DOS. Of course,
the machine with the images was running Windows XP professional. I
have no idea if Ghost would work under Win9X.

P.S. I'd like a free program that will do the same thing he's asking
so I can keep a backup on my 1TB system to quickly restore my own
win98SE computer. If anybody knows of one, please reply.
0
SlickRCBD
11/9/2009 9:02:20 PM
CTC IT Mgr wrote:

> Is there any software out there that would allow me to ghost a
> win98 machine?

Norton Ghost 2003.

Available on Hiren's boot cd:

http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

You can download this torrent file which will let you make a
floppy-bootable version of Ghost (this is the way I use Ghost):

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/3436917/Norton_Ghost_2003_-_BOOT_FLOPPY_(files___guide).3436917.TPB.torrent

I find that the easiest and fastest way to clone a drive is to have he
source drive as Drive-0 and connect the destination drive as Drive-1.
The destination drive is a blank hard drive (or one that you don't care
if it gets over-written).

Configure your bios boot order so that the floppy drive is the first
boot device, and then boot the PC from the ghost floppy disk.  Follow
the instructions and let Ghost clone the source drive to the destination
drive.  After it's done, disconnect the destination drive and do with it
what you want.  Reconnect your CD-drive (if it was connected originally
as Drive-1) and you're done.

This will clone FAT-32 and NTFS drives.  You can make an exact clone of
a win-XP drive this way.

Typical copy speed is about 500 to 1,500 mb/min (depends on motherboard
and hard-drive performance).
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:02:20 -0800 (PST), SlickRCBD
<slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 9, 1:13 pm, "sabun" <q...@q.t> wrote:
>> ghosting? Do you mean taking a complete back-up?
>>
>> --
>> sabun, gereksiz i?ler ?erifi.
>>
>> "CTC IT Mgr" <CTCIT...@discussions.microsoft.com>, iletide ?unu yazd?news:491789AA-6F45-4C73-9C55-FF7BE60B70BF@microsoft.com...
>>
>> > Is there any software out there that would allow me to ghost a win98
>> > machine?
>
>I know for a fact that the older version of Symantic Ghost, when it
>was called Norton Ghost works perfectly. I used that up until I was
>laid off in 2007 to reimage older computers using the older Windows 98
>installation of my former company's POS software. It didn't matter if
>it used Windows 98 or Windows Embedded. Actually, the disk we used to
>boot the machines and run Ghost seemed to be using MS-DOS. Of course,
>the machine with the images was running Windows XP professional. I
>have no idea if Ghost would work under Win9X.
>
>P.S. I'd like a free program that will do the same thing he's asking
>so I can keep a backup on my 1TB system to quickly restore my own
>win98SE computer. If anybody knows of one, please reply.

I actual have Norton ghost.   Not sure of the version  It is either
2000 or 2002.    You might be able to find the disk on the web.

It will also work for xp sp3.

It is a little tricky to use ghost.   Once, you get the hang up.   You
shouldn't have any problems.

Note,  do not use nt disk compression on XP for ghost to work
correctly and you cant have more then 3 primary partitions (Watch out
for hidden partitions).

I use the partition backup.   The burn the copies to cd or save them
on a flash drive.

Greg
0
Greg
11/10/2009 1:11:56 AM
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:02:20 -0800 (PST), SlickRCBD
<slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>P.S. I'd like a free program that will do the same thing he's asking
>so I can keep a backup on my 1TB system to quickly restore my own
>win98SE computer. If anybody knows of one, please reply.

If you boot to a Linux CD, you can use dd:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

There is a Windows version, but it doesn't support Win9x ... yet:
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

If you have a Seagate drive somewhere in your system, then Seagate's
DiscWizard will clone the drive for you. In automatic mode it can also
resize the partitions to fill the target drive.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

It appears that DiscWizard may be based on Acronis True Image. At
least some of its component modules are copyrighted by Acronis.

Other drive manufacturers may also have free cloning software.

- Franc Zabkar
Franc
11/10/2009 6:57:09 AM
Is that the 1-disk version that decompresses to a RAMdisk or the 2-
disk version?
II should add that I'm two years out of date on my knowledge of Ghost,
and is this now freeware? I was under the impression when I worked for
the company that it was an expensive commercial program.
On Nov 9, 6:51 pm, 98 Guy <9...@Guy.com> wrote:
> CTC IT Mgr wrote:
> > Is there any software out there that would allow me to ghost a
> > win98 machine?
>
> Norton Ghost 2003.
>
> Available on Hiren's boot cd:
>
> http://www.hirensbootcd.net/
>
> You can download this torrent file which will let you make a
> floppy-bootable version of Ghost (this is the way I use Ghost):
>
> http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/3436917/Norton_Ghost_2003_-_BOOT_FLO...
>
> I find that the easiest and fastest way to clone a drive is to have he
> source drive as Drive-0 and connect the destination drive as Drive-1.
> The destination drive is a blank hard drive (or one that you don't care
> if it gets over-written).
>
> Configure your bios boot order so that the floppy drive is the first
> boot device, and then boot the PC from the ghost floppy disk.  Follow
> the instructions and let Ghost clone the source drive to the destination
> drive.  After it's done, disconnect the destination drive and do with it
> what you want.  Reconnect your CD-drive (if it was connected originally
> as Drive-1) and you're done.
>
> This will clone FAT-32 and NTFS drives.  You can make an exact clone of
> a win-XP drive this way.
>
> Typical copy speed is about 500 to 1,500 mb/min (depends on motherboard
> and hard-drive performance).

0
SlickRCBD
11/11/2009 10:49:55 AM
SlickRCBD top-poasted and full-quoted:

> Is that the 1-disk version that decompresses to a RAMdisk or the 2-
> disk version?

I have a 1-floppy version.  It does not boot MS-dos (I think it's DR
Dos).  There is barely enough room on the floppy to boot DOS and run
Ghost.  It does not create a ramdisk.

Hiren's boot-cd does create a ramdisk, but I don't run Ghost from
Hiren's CD because when I'm cloning a hard drive I will have the
destination drive plugged into the cable that was for the CD drive (so
the CD drive is not available).

> I'm two years out of date on my knowledge of Ghost, and is this
> now freeware?

If you can download it from the internet, then it's freeware.

> I was under the impression when I worked for the company that
> it was an expensive commercial program.

Did you work for Symantec / Norton?

Ghost was so cheap that it was included as part of a suite of Norton
products on a CD that was included with many motherboards you could buy
back during 2000 - 2004 timeframe.
I have purchased two copies of Ghost 2003 on Ebay for 10 dollars each plus
shipping.  A small price to pay for peace of mind. I clone regularly  a  dual
boot XP/Win98 machine and an XP machine. Have never had a bad clone. I might
add that I clone to a Usb external drive in each case.

Gene

CTC IT Mgr wrote:
>Is there any software out there that would allow me to ghost a win98 machine?

easymike29
11/11/2009 11:39:02 PM
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:51:06 -0500, 98 Guy <98@Guy.com> wrote:

>CTC IT Mgr wrote:
>
>> Is there any software out there that would allow me to ghost a
>> win98 machine?
>
>Norton Ghost 2003.
>
>Available on Hiren's boot cd:
>
>http://www.hirensbootcd.net/
(snip)

Which of the *many* CD versions available there would you suggest for
a straight 98SE system (no XP/Vista irradiation)?
0
who
11/13/2009 12:08:45 AM
who where wrote:

> > Norton Ghost 2003.
> >
> > Available on Hiren's boot cd:
> >
> > http://www.hirensbootcd.net/
>
> Which of the *many* CD versions available there would you suggest
> for a straight 98SE system (no XP/Vista irradiation)?

Any version of Hiren's should have Norton Ghost 2003.

Note the following:

The ONLY time I ever use Ghost is when I want to clone a hard drive to
another drive.  This requires the temporary connection of a second
(target or destination) drive to the PC in question.  In this situation,
I boot from a floppy disk which has some form of DOS on it (not PC or MS
dos) and it automatically starts Ghost from the floppy.

I have never used Ghost as a windows app.

I don't mess around with cloning software that runs as a windoze app.
who where wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:51:06 -0500, 98 Guy <98@Guy.com> wrote:
>
>> CTC IT Mgr wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any software out there that would allow me to ghost a
>>> win98 machine?
>> Norton Ghost 2003.
>>
>> Available on Hiren's boot cd:
>>
>> http://www.hirensbootcd.net/
> (snip)
>
> Which of the *many* CD versions available there would you suggest for
> a straight 98SE system (no XP/Vista irradiation)?

who where:

You might want to try "Copy-Wipe". A good utility to have in any case.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

HTH & GL

John

--
                          \\\||///
------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

John Dulak - 40.4913�N,79.904�W - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6
0
John
11/13/2009 2:48:47 PM
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:54:48 -0500, 98 Guy <98@Guy.com> wrote:

>I have never used Ghost as a windows app.
>
>I don't mess around with cloning software that runs as a windoze app.

It does and it does not.   Once you create a disk,  delete the
unnecessary files,  you can remove Norton's ghost but keep the floppy.

I use partition backup.   They way I have my disk setup.

Greg

0
Greg

Ghosts?
Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? It jumps up and down, but I see it with WinMail in 7. xp.basics is even worse. "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? Yes. 25 at the moment, with hacked WM in Win 7....

virtual machines
Sorry, your question did not make it onto the server. Please try again! On 2/02/08 12:13 PM, in article ee8bc07.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "docrg@officeformac.com" <docrg@officeformac.com> wrote: > -- Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/ Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to. John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/ Sydney, Australia. S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50 +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name ...

Ghosted attachments with Windows 98
How do I change settings to be able to open attachments. The attachments appear to be ghosted. Hit forward, then open or save the attachment and close the message. It's a new security feature to prevent accidental opening of viruses, either by yourself or scripting. you can disable it in tools | options | security, but I think the extra effort to hit forward is safer and well worth the extra click. For more information, see http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - ...

Cannot backup Virtual Machines in a CSV with DPM 2010
I have a 4 Node Server 2008 R2 Cluster with 26 HA Virtual Machines in 1 CSV volume. When I create the protection group and start the initial replica, DPM 2010 Beta only grabs a couple of megabytes (anywhere from .19 to 15.95) then just stays there until I cancel the job. I am using software based VSS (built in Microsoft version), and have enabled CSV serialization on the cluster. My storage for the CSV is a Dell Equallogic iSCSI SAN. When i look at the Event/Application logs all i see is this: Revert operation for volume \\?\Volume{f7f8c65d-c32a-11de-8e8b-001d09645911}\ ...

"Ghost" folders that aren't really ghosts
Upgraded my laptop from Win2K to XP, Office 2K to 2003 - all at once. Previous Outlook install included two profiles - one for online, one for remote. Both profiles use the same 3 PST files. Problem is - in one profile I have three "ghost" folders that aren't normal ghosts. They show up between my primary storage file and my other .PSTs - with no names and no properties that I can see. When I try to open, show properties, delete (in short, do anything) with one of these folders, I get the message "The set of folders cannot be opened." (along with other messages such a...

Ghost typing
Windows XP running on an older Dell PC. Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior. When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address bar, notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one or two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse. I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics tablet that has worked fl...

CtreeCtrl and Win98
Hi I am having problems with CtreeCtrl and Win98. I have a class that derives from CtreeCtrl and i add some functionality to enhance the tree. My code runs fine on Win2K and XP etc but on 98 I dont get the TVN_BEGINDRAG, TVN_SELCHANGED Messages at all. I am using VS .NET 2003 and my application is UNICODE Since .NET 2003 doesnt load in 98 i am just building for 98 on Win2K machine and hoping everything works I have put in messageboxes at various places and they seem to appear whenever i drag from the Tree Control or Change Selection but on 98 Nothing seems to happen Does anyone if the handlin...

Ghost brackets
Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and leaving them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then people are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to real brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this? jpmcewan, Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless you go to Tools - Options - View - under view section unc...

Ghost Recipient
I have a user name Jonh Doe in my contact list, and when I type in John in the "To" box two options for John Doe come up, one with the correct address and one wiht the incorrect address. I have searched my contact list for this second conact, but can't find it. Where would Outlook be finding this contact? If you right click it, and select find contact, Outlook can't, but it does give you the option to add it. I thought Outlook only searched designated contact info for address, where is this Ghost coming from? Autoresolve doesn't do lookups to any contacts l...

Ghost accounts won't stay deleted!!!
Hi, I have an MBNA CC, and I've been unsuccesful in connecting to their server. In the process, I have tried twice to delete the account and recreate it. Now each time I try to update my accounts, the deleted accounts come back as "MBNA CC #1" and "MBNA CC #2". Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can resolve it? Thanks, JD JD, I'm also having problems downloading data for my MBNA CC. I am receiving "your last call encountered an error" message. I'm also having problems with Tropical Finacial Credit Union. One night I could...

Link error, module machine type conflicts with target machine type?
Hi! I hope I am not posting to the wrong group (in that case please tell me which group is correct.) I would be most grateful if someone could help me with this. I am trying to convert my mfc code, which is an in-proc COM server, to x64. After fixing numerous errors I am stuck with this one. The error I am receiving is Linking... Starting pass 1 ..\x64\Unicode Debug\Registry.obj : fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type 'x64' Obviously something is still set to x86, but how can I tell what? Registry is one of my own classes, p...

ghost items
When we setup RMS we used a suppliers disk to import all their items. Recently, I used a query to delete all items that were never sold or recieved, so that I would have a more manageable item list, as there were about 16000 items that we were never going to use. Now I'm running into some instances where an ILC can't be used on a new item because the system says it's already being used. When I try to pull up that item in the Item list nothings there. However, if I create a PO and enter the ILC in quickscan, it will put in an item that has no info at all, no description, or...

Exchange 2003 Enterprise Migrate to Diffrent Machine.
Hello, I have an Exchange 2003 server in a single domain single forest network. It's was upgraded in place (as wells as the OS). I want to move the Entire operation onto a difrent machine that has more CPU/Memory beef. Where can I find some documentation or a best practice guide for doing this? is it as simple as : Use NT back up to back up mail store. Take down Old exchange server. Bring up new exchange server. Restore. Will user accounts migrate happily via The DC (which live on another machine?) or will there be some additional action that has to be preformed? What about p...

Exchange Calendar Update Tool AND Virtual Machine
I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I can not get logged into this virtual machine for anything. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933185/ I have tried in Virtual PC 2004, 2007, and Virtual Server 2005 and every time it gets to the login screen I can not get logged in. I get bad user name or password or check the domain every time. I have tried plank password, complex password and simple passwords. What the heck is the deal with this virtual image, does it even work??? The password for this download is "pass@word1" without the quotation marks "Sho...

MFC on Win98 ME and 2K
schoolboy question here: does anyone know how I can ensure that my MFC app that I wrote with VC v7.0 ( written in the .Net environment) will work on 98, Me and 2K. I want to distribute it with the libraries statically linked in. I can't assume that users will have the MFC42.dll - can I? thx If you release a static MFC build then you dont have to worry about whether they'll have the MFC DLLs or not! -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "Alistair MacArthur" <alistair.macarthur@celoxica.com> wrote in message news:0d2201c36243$32ba58f0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > schoolboy qu...

SPAM not going into Junk E-mail folder on all machines
The SPAM goes into my Junk E-mail folder but not in some others users. Any ideas? The filter works great for me. I want it to work for all my users. On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:50:09 -0700, "Jeff Laidacker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The SPAM goes into my Junk E-mail folder but not >in some others users. Any ideas? The filter works great >for me. I want it to work for all my users. Check the settings on the clients. They might be on Low or not in cached mode or any one of a variety of reasons. Is every setting the same? Have they accidently or otherwi...

copying excel 97 Macro to different machine
how can i move a macro that runs under excel 97 to a diff pc running excel 97? regards, antz Hi one way: - open the VBA editor - select the module and export the contents of this module (right-click on the module name) - Import this file on your other machine -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Antz wrote: > how can i move a macro that runs under excel 97 to a diff > pc running excel 97? > > regards, > > antz You could copy the workbook that contains the macro to the other pc. Remember that each open workbook has to have a unique name--you can't have two ...

Ghost spreadsheet?
Today I am suddenly experiencing a weird problem: I cannot see some of the spreadsheets we have saved both on the desktop and on the server. The files are listed, I can click on them, Excel opens but the spreadsheet does not appear, I only see the light blue background; note that on two fields in the toolbar, right below the Ribbon, I see the cell number in the first and the value on the second; changing the cell number changes also the value on the second field therefore the spreadsheet is there, it is just not visible. I tried to reboot both the desktop and the server but no luck. We...

Access 97 on XP Pro machine
Trying to run an Access 97 database with a calendar control form on a machine that is running on XP Pro operating system when I load the database onto the XP machine the Calendar Control form doesn't load how do I get the Calendar Contol to load? ...

Ghost font
I use the previous month's newsletter as a template each month. Whenever I open the file, there is a mystery font that is not being used called MS Shell dig. I click okay and ignore it. Is there any way to locate where the font is and remove it? This article can help http://www.virtualplastic.org/html/ui_font.html This may give insight too. http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/V6/D/D403.html -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Dandyman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4...

Publisher 2003 causing machine to freeze up
Hoping someone can offer some assistance: Any idea why Publisher 2003 would cause a machine to lock up? This has happened on a couple of machines in my office now. One was an upgrade installation on a machine that previously has Publisher 2000 installed on it. The other was on a stripped down machine where I had completely removed MS Office 2000 and Outlook and then done a complete install of Publisher 2003. Both machines froze up after Publisher 2003 was in use. Any assitance would be appreciated. Specifics: Dell Optiplex GX240 or GX260, running Windows 2000 SP4; Pentium 4; minimu...

Ghosting Accounts
ex.I have an sbcglobal account and subaccounts.if I set up outlook to retriev username@companyname.net instead of username@sbcglobal.net ican send but not receive.detination show from username@companyname.net if they repliey to it i can get...but if compose and type username@companyname.net it goes to the companyname@sbcglobal.net which is the primary account at internet provider.so how I set up to retreve e mails sent to subaccount? is it outlook settings or internet provider settings? or maybe this will help....I was told to Ghost the account!?!?! Thank you!!! I understand you hav...

Norton ghost not working
Hello: I'm trying to use Norton Ghost 2003 to backup my winxp partition, but when finally I click on the "Proceed to dump partition" I get: "Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL. This is usually due to there being no free primary partition slotsleft on the boot disk." what's the problem and can it be fixed?? (The laptop comes originally with a single partition c: containing vista, at that time I created two new partitions d: and e:, then I installed win xp sp3 on d: and I'm using it, c: still containing vista but it'...

Moving Office 2004 to new machine
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I currently have Office 2004 installed and working fine on a PowerBook G4. I am getting a new Mac. Can I simply install Office 2004 from my original Disks onto the new machine? Thus giving me two machines running Office 2004. Regards On 5/7/08 12:11 PM, in article 59b4d0d6.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "TerryR@officeformac.com" <TerryR@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2004 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: Power PC > > I currently have Office 2004 installed...

Exchange Ghost Mailbox
Hello, I am the Exchange Administrator of my network. We recently have migrated to Exchange 2003 from another e-mail system. In order to assist some remote users with the migration and with sharing certain folders, I had added their Exchange accounts temporarily to my own Outlook profile. When finished, I removed them. I have done this with nearly 20 or 30 accounts with no problems. I have finished now and there are a couple of Exchange mailboxes that remain in my profile although there is no configuration referring to them. I have tried re-creating my PST and OST files from scratch, b...