visually rendering tabular data as a gannt chart

Hello,

I have a table in MS Access with data that i'd like to
programmatically translate into a gannt-chart-like rendering in Visio
2010. I presume I'll have to use Visio VBA to accomplish this but it
would be my first foray into Visio automation so I'm trying to get an
idea of just how much work it might take and any other helpful
insights.

My Access table would have the following fields:
Month 1
Month 2
Name 1
Name 2
Number
Comment

I'd like to programmatically loop through this table and produce a
gannt-chart-like rendering in Visio 2010.  The Visio diagram would
already have month labels along the bottom from left to right like
this:
January   Febuary     March      April    (etc)

The VBA code would need to translate a given row from the access table
into a Visio shape, perhaps a simple data-enabled rectangle.  This
shape's vertical position should be above the monthly labels and the
shape's width should span across the appropriate months.  For example,
if the Month 1 field value is 'January' and the Month 2 field value is
'March' the shape should span from January to March like this:
       [--------SHAPE--------]
January   Febuary     March      April

The shape should also be able to act as a container for other pieces
of data from the access table row, such as Name 1, Name 2, Number, and
Comment.  These values should be visible on the shape like this:
       [Smith, Doe, 111]
January   Febuary     March      April

The VBA code would loop through the access table rows one by one and
create the corresponding shapes, which would stack one on top of
another in the diagram, as with a typical gannt chart:
       [Rogers, Smith, 333]
                     [Johnson, Doe, 222]
       [Smith, Doe, 111]
January   Febuary     March      April

If the VBA programming for this were fairly straightforward I would
likely want to do a variety of other things with the data associated
with the shapes, where relationships exist between certain shapes,
such as perform calculations on the various Numbers (Shape 1 Number +
Shape 2 Number - Shape 3 Number, as an example).

This is my first inquiry relating to Visio automation so i invite any
feedback- Should I even try to use Visio for this?  How extensive
might the programming be?  How steep is the learning curve for
proficiency with the Visio VBA object model (I'm already proficient
with Access VBA, Excel VBA, and VS.NET)?  What other options might I
have?

Thanks,
Jesse Aufiero

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 04:27:23 -0700 (PDT), jesse aufiero <jesse.aufiero@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,

These newsgroups are no longer in use and it is unlikely that you will get an answer here.
There are replacement forums for Visio, Microsoft's own:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visiogeneral/threads
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/visio?page=1&tab=all

or Visio MVP VisioGuy
http://www.visguy.com/vgforum/

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio          http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-electronics/

Using Visual C++ 6.0 MFC Application
01/19/2004 Using a single document or a dialog application, I am able to use my own variables that are declared in the same source file, however, if I try to declare a global variable in a header file or a source file included before the code I am using, I get the error "Undeclared Identifier". Example in Old C: "First.h" int i; "Main.cpp" #include "First.h" main() { i=5; printf("%d",i); } When I declare a variable in a header file, in Class View - Globals, my variable does show up, b...

Chart Size/Space
I am wondering whether anyone knows how I can make charting faster... I am working on a document that contains a macro that creates 3 tabs and saves them in a new file to a network drive, and then loops this process over again about 1200 times. The process takes about 10 seconds per file (at most). I was asked to include 4 tabs of charts (with between 2-5 charts per tab, a total of 12 charts.) When included the charts and tried to run the looping process in made the run time of my process jump from 10 seconds per file to 60+ seconds per file. Is there anyway I can speed the process u...

Data validation problem #3
I want to set a length constraint for a text cell between 1-30 characters, the cell cannot be empty. Giving 1 for lower limit in Data validation doesn't prevent the cell to be empty (that is zero length). Giving 2 for lower limit does prevent the cell to be 1 char long. Any idea how can I set a constraint: not empty, min 1 char, max 30 char? Hi not possible with data validation alone. If you really needs to make sure that a cell is not left empty before closing the file you'll need vBA code in the beforesave or beforeclose event "Stefi" wrote: > I want to set a l...

Refreshing pivot table when cut/paste data
I think this is supposed to be easy, but I'm having trouble. I have a pivot table that is run off data called Source. I need to replace the Source data on occasion, and so have been "cutting and pasting" the new data into Source - it's exactly the same in terms of columns, but has more rows. When I got to "refresh", the pivot table says it's invalid data, or some such error, and I have to rebuild. I think there is a way with links to do this, but I can't find it clearly explained. Any suggestions? Debra Dalgleish has some (lots) instructions here ...

Data Migration Framework Installation Problems 12-14-03
Hello all. I am trying to install the Data Migration Framework. I have followed the checklist: I'm using the same user account that was used to install CRM, and that account has been assigned a license in CRM. Here is what happens when I try to install the Data Migration Framework: 1) Entering the URL of the CRM web server does not work ("unable to connect to the CRM web server"), but http://localhost does work. Using Localhost instead of the actual URL, I am able to connect to the server. 2) In the step "Installing database tables...", the install program hang...

AR Data
I need to export out of SQL (for GP) open Invoices, Payments and Credit Memos (unapplied or unpaid). Basically I need the open documents that make up the Balances for Customers. What table(s) can I find this data in? Diane, You will want to look at the data in the RM20101 table. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Diane" wrote: > I need to export out of SQL (for GP) open Invoices, Payments and Credit Memos > (unapplied or unpaid). Basically I need the open documents that make up the ...

Need help working with XML data from another data source.
What I need to do: I need to have people fill out a form and send me the data, then I need to be able to open the data and print it in a readable format. (sounds simple right?) Problem: I have to work with a "fill in the blank" PDF form created in Acrobat 8 Pro, which e-mails me the data in XML format. When I try to open the file in Excel, I get the message "The specified XML source does not refer to a schema." I click the OK, and get something very un-readable. I have tried the option to "Use the XML Source task pane", and successfully created...

Standard Visual Basic vs Visual Basic for Applications
I've recently purchased Front Page and understand that I can code with Visual Basic as part of this software package. 1. What does Front Page contain: Standard Visual Basic or VBA? 2. Do either or both work with Visual Studio? 3. Is Visio different from Visual Studio? -- Deb Front Page and Visio are both Microsoft Office applications that contain VBA (Visual Basic for Applications). These programs are productivity applications first and programming platforms second. Visual Studio is a pure programming application. (All it does is let you write other programs.) Older versions of ...

Sort order : Excel vs imported data
It would appear that the sort order of items returned via a Data Query is different to that obtained following a sort within Excel. As an example, the imported list gives a sort order of FS-BZ followed by FSBM, whereas the Excel sort gives an order of FSBM followed by FS-BZ. Is there a global parameter that can be set to include, or not, characters such as "-" in the sort ? Or do I have to create a macro to ensure all data is sorted within Excel before doing a calculation. -- John Reynolds ...

Problems Displaying Data
I think my main problem is I know so little about excel I don't even know the right questions to ask. But here goes: I have a grade sheet for 4 classes I teach, on 4 different sheets. The first column in each sheet contains the student name, each column after contains that student's scores on various essays/quizzes, etc The column headers contain: 1st row, the "week"; 2nd row, the date; 3rd row, the assignment name; 4th row the total points that assignment is worth. under that in each column begins the scores for each student. | ...

Automatic Sort Updates when data changes!
Can someone please tell me, if I have a spreadsheet with four individua tables on it, is it possible to have the tables automatically updat the ascending order sort when the data within the cells alters, and i so, how? Thanks! Karri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi this would only be possible with an event procedure. e.g. sorting the data automatically then you enter a new sheet 8e.g. using the workbook_sheetactivate event). No build-in functionality. Would this be a way for you to go? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Can someone please tell me, if I hav...

how do I fit all data into a cell? Excel keeps chopping it into r
Hi, If you could please advise me on how to fit data (2 paragraphs for example) into one cell without it automatically taking up 3 or 4 + cells and rows. Thank you very much If you're pasting this paragraph from a different application, paste into the Formula bar. If you're typing this from scratch, just keep typing. You can use alt-enter to force new lines in the cell. jman wrote: > > Hi, > > If you could please advise me on how to fit data (2 paragraphs for example) > into one cell without it automatically taking up 3 or 4 + cells and rows. > > Thank y...

Do Exchage Data
Hello everyone, I am having some problem displaying data in a CEdit control. I am doing a application which read data-serial and displayed it on CEdit control (I have simplified it as much as possible) When I do it in a Dialog base app, it works fine. The problem is when I try to display it on TOOLBOX Dialog windows in a Multi Document base App, Simple doesn't happened anything. I even put a button to displayed text in the IDC_EDIT1 and doesnt appear at all. I have notices if I used this code, IMPORTANT: In the *View.cpp (which is "class *View : public CView) it works. CMainFram...

Sorting data held across different rows but in same column
Hi I have some data that contains the results of an online user survey The survey consisted of a series of multiple choice questions. Th answers were logged in a database and have been given to me as an Exce sheet. The data is as follows Col 1: User ID Col 2: Responses So some sample data would look like this: 131 Yes 131 Maybe 131 No 131 Yes 132 No 132 Yes 132 Maybe 132 133 Yes 133 No..... ..where each row contains the respondants answers to each question (i.e. row 1 = user 131's answer to q1, row 2 = 131's answer to q 2, ro 5 = user 1...

How to Trap Rogue Data ?
I have an application that generates hourly system performance logfiles which I graph to look for long term trending. The metric I use gradually varies from 1% to about 15% depending on various external factors - such as time of day and day of week. My problem is that the logfiles sometime hiccup and generate bad data resulting is huge spikes in my curve. I have trapped for the big ones > 20% in my source data but I need something smarter so I can catch large deviations from the curve. Unfortunately I do not have the option to fix the application that generated the bad data. Are ther...

I Visual Basic Error "File Not Found" when Excel opens
Good afternoon. I am using XP Pro at work and My computer just started doing this. when I open Excel, I get a message pop up that says in title "Visual Basic Error" and in body of error window is "File Not Found". If I click on help, says something about error 53 but when I try to look that up on Microsoft's website, can't find what seems to apply to my issue. And now when I go into my personal.xls to view my macros, I can get in, but if I try to save anything, I get a window pop up saying Excel must be shut down, and then a window pops up asking me if I want...

Need help determining Chart Type
Hello all, I need a chart that will simulate "mapping" weaving errors on a length of cloth. The Y axis would represent the Length of the fabric, from 0 to 300 meters. The X axis would represent the Width of the fabric, from 0cm to 240cm. Error data in the cloth would be indicated as... ErrorNo ErrorLength ErrorWidth FromEdge 1 100 15 50 2 138 10 94 3 168 7 220 Error No 1 occured 100 ...

How to append text to cell data ...
HI I have a column in Excel (Mac) with data file names. None have a fil extension.... eg PD102310 I need to append the text ".wav" to every cell (over 10,000 of them without touching the exisiting name. Can anyone tell me how to do this??? Thanks in advance Le -- ltf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ltf3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2787 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47381 I'd use the CONCATENATE() function. =CONCANTENATE(A1, ".wav") ...

How to calcuate mean and median of time (d hh:mm) data?
I have time data in an excel column (formatted as d hh:mm and also as hh:mm (2 seperate sets) . I need to find out the mean (average) and the median for these sets. How should I go about it? =AVERAGE() =MEDIAN() -- David Biddulph "kp" <kp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1F61BBD-A171-41DA-B37B-C6C46D0CC000@microsoft.com... >I have time data in an excel column (formatted as d hh:mm and also as hh:mm > (2 seperate sets) . I need to find out the mean (average) and the median > for > these sets. How should I go about it? Times...

Create a shared data source in SQL with PowerShell
I have created some SQL reports, and would like to automate creation of the shared data source in SQL Reporting Services. Has anyone tried this or know if it is possible? -- Regards, Pete Zerger, MVP OpsMgr Never tried it myself. It appears these settings are stored in a .rsds file: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb283152.aspx I wonder if that file is text-based or binary? That's all I know right now... Marco "Pete Zerger (MVP)" <PeteZergerMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EAFCA7AE-535B-4528-85C3-9C2D0159C0F1@m...

Formula to split data
I have a text string in Column A XX70909 2 NC Black 6pc Box Set 990364068001 15.00 30.00 using in Column B =VALUE(MID(RIGHT(A1;15);FIND(" ";RIGHT(A1;15))+1;FIND(".";RIGHT (A1;15))-1)) returns 15.00 which is right but the same formula on XX909 1 NC Black 3pc Box Set 990364068002 3.50 14.00 adjusting to =VALUE(MID(RIGHT(A2;15);FIND(" ";RIGHT(A2;15))+1;FIND(".";RIGHT (A2;11))-1)) gets it right How can I get the right value and also split out "NC Black 3pc Box Set" into Column C and "990364068002" into Column D? Hi Have a look at the ...

Data Entry Form 03-20-08
Hi, I created a form to use for viewing currently records and entering new data. This time, the form doesn't allow me to enter new data. In fact, all text boxes didn't let me to enter new information. Please help Thanks Chi Several things to check: In form properties: Allow Additions = Yes Allow Edits = Yes If the form's record source is a query, be sure the query is updatable. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Chi" wrote: > Hi, > > I created a form to use for viewing currently records and entering new data. > > This time, the ...

PivotTable: add vertical lines in Data Item area, align row data to the left?
I am using a .NET WinForm app to control the Excel programmtically. The data will be generated as XML and imported into Excel. So every time, I need to do a refresh. Once I refresh the data using menu Data --> Refresh Data, the formatting made explicitly will be gone. I have two formatting problems. 1. After I dropping a field in the Column Fields area, there are multiple columns in the Data Item area (the main area for the numeric data). By default there is no vertical lines between these data columsn. How to add vertical lines in this area? 2. After dropping a field into the Row Fie...

Org Chart:1 Manager 2 Sections
How do I divide two work sections of employees under one manager? I tried arranging the first set of staff under a vertical alignment and wrapping a team frame around them, but when I add positions to create the 2nd team, they are aligned the same. If I arrange the employees horizontally, members are randomly assigned to the left or right, breaking the team arrangments. ...

How do you include a custom field in a time scaled data report
Hi There, Does anyone know how to include a custom field in a time scaled data report? I created a custom field, (text 8 = Projects) to organize my tasks by projects, similar to organizing task by dept.. I would like to see actual work organized by the projects. Is there a way I need to organize my project plan for me to collect this data? Thank you, Wina Hi Wina, If I understand your question corerrectly, you wish to have a time phases custom field simular to work or cost? Unfortunalty Custom fields are not "assignment" fields and therefore cannot be m...