Visio Stencils.

Hi,

Using Visio Professional 2003.

I have visio stencil which denotes a patch panel.

I want to be able to change the ports, which are currently white to another
colour, red.

As it stands nothing I've tried has changed the colour, however if I ungroup
the stencil twice I'm able to select the individual ports and change the
fill colour.  the trouble of doing this is that firstly the object is
ungrouped and second it no longers snaps to other objects such as racks.

Any ideas how can restore the orginal stencil after its been ungrouped ?

Thanks in advance.

-1
andyww14 (9)
7/14/2004 9:15:36 AM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You've run into one of the challanges of working with shapes that are groups
and wanting to do some status reporting. What I ended up doing was when the
shape is dropped onto the drawing I first update the shape and it's members
with something like this..

' this is where we set it up so that the outline color reflects the layer
selected
' we end up forcing the line style and color just so the object is
aware......
' we considered using pointers in shapes but rather decided to work with
layers.

Private Sub subNetworkStatusAware(visShape As Visio.Shape)

Dim shpCell As Visio.Cell
Dim visEmbShape As Visio.Shape

        Set shpCell = visShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject, visRowLine,
visLineColor)
        shpCell.Formula = visBlack
        Set shpCell = visShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject, visRowLine,
visLinePattern)
        shpCell.Formula = visSolid
            If visShape.Type = visTypeGroup Then
                'Debug.Print "it is a group"
                Set visEmbShape = visShape.Shapes(1)
                'Debug.Print "instantiate an embedded shape"
                Set shpCell = visEmbShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject,
visRowLine, visLineColor)
                shpCell.Formula = visBlack
                Set shpCell = visEmbShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject,
visRowLine, visLinePattern)
                shpCell.Formula = visSolid
                Set shpCell = visEmbShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject,
visRowLine, visLineWeight)
                shpCell.Formula = 0.02
            End If

End Sub

The second piece is that the topology page has several layers (available,
unavailable, unknown, etc) which are color keyed (green, yellow, red,
etc..). After checking the devices status, I move it to the appropriate
layer and which forces a 'color' change. Part of the reason for doing this
is to allow the user a certain amount of control for format and printing.

Al

"Andy" <andyww14@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Using Visio Professional 2003.
>
> I have visio stencil which denotes a patch panel.
>
> I want to be able to change the ports, which are currently white to
> another
> colour, red.
>
> As it stands nothing I've tried has changed the colour, however if I
> ungroup
> the stencil twice I'm able to select the individual ports and change the
> fill colour.  the trouble of doing this is that firstly the object is
> ungrouped and second it no longers snaps to other objects such as racks.
>
> Any ideas how can restore the orginal stencil after its been ungrouped ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

-1
edlund1 (616)
7/14/2004 3:35:52 PM
Also instead of ungrouping, you may just want to edit the subshapes within
the group(s).  Go to Edit > Open Group to get at the subshapes.

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

"Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> You've run into one of the challanges of working with shapes that are
groups
> and wanting to do some status reporting. What I ended up doing was when
the
> shape is dropped onto the drawing I first update the shape and it's
members
> with something like this..
>

> ' this is where we set it up so that the outline color reflects the layer
> selected
> ' we end up forcing the line style and color just so the object is
> aware......
> ' we considered using pointers in shapes but rather decided to work with
> layers.
>
> Private Sub subNetworkStatusAware(visShape As Visio.Shape)
>
> Dim shpCell As Visio.Cell
> Dim visEmbShape As Visio.Shape
>
>         Set shpCell = visShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject,
visRowLine,
> visLineColor)
>         shpCell.Formula = visBlack
>         Set shpCell = visShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject,
visRowLine,
> visLinePattern)
>         shpCell.Formula = visSolid
>             If visShape.Type = visTypeGroup Then
>                 'Debug.Print "it is a group"
>                 Set visEmbShape = visShape.Shapes(1)
>                 'Debug.Print "instantiate an embedded shape"
>                 Set shpCell = visEmbShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject,
> visRowLine, visLineColor)
>                 shpCell.Formula = visBlack
>                 Set shpCell = visEmbShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject,
> visRowLine, visLinePattern)
>                 shpCell.Formula = visSolid
>                 Set shpCell = visEmbShape.CellsSRC(Visio.visSectionObject,
> visRowLine, visLineWeight)
>                 shpCell.Formula = 0.02
>             End If
>

> End Sub
>

> The second piece is that the topology page has several layers (available,
> unavailable, unknown, etc) which are color keyed (green, yellow, red,
> etc..). After checking the devices status, I move it to the appropriate
> layer and which forces a 'color' change. Part of the reason for doing this
> is to allow the user a certain amount of control for format and printing.
>
> Al
>

> "Andy" <andyww14@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Using Visio Professional 2003.
> >
> > I have visio stencil which denotes a patch panel.
> >
> > I want to be able to change the ports, which are currently white to
> > another
> > colour, red.
> >
> > As it stands nothing I've tried has changed the colour, however if I
> > ungroup
> > the stencil twice I'm able to select the individual ports and change the
> > fill colour.  the trouble of doing this is that firstly the object is
> > ungrouped and second it no longers snaps to other objects such as racks.
> >
> > Any ideas how can restore the orginal stencil after its been ungrouped ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

1
marknel (439)

Linking Excel to Visio
Is it possible to limk the text box associated with a shape to a cell in ann excel wrksheet? this was offered by another user (rene) There were two kb articles describing the steps to set up a link between Visio and Excel http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254591 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323451 al "Mark Dullingham" <MarkDullingham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F886EA40-469E-4523-A4F3-80AB376F2555@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to limk the text box associated with a shape to a cell in > ann ...

Visio Stencils.
Hi, Using Visio Professional 2003. I have visio stencil which denotes a patch panel. I want to be able to change the ports, which are currently white to another colour, red. As it stands nothing I've tried has changed the colour, however if I ungroup the stencil twice I'm able to select the individual ports and change the fill colour. the trouble of doing this is that firstly the object is ungrouped and second it no longers snaps to other objects such as racks. Any ideas how can restore the orginal stencil after its been ungrouped ? Thanks in advance. You've run into one ...

writting text on visio
I want to add text to the body of my Visio 2003 network diagram I don't know how to do that. ...

Hyperlink one Visio diagram to another Visio diagram (in Visio 200
I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to show a high level overview of processes. If someone wanted a more detailed view of a particular process they could click on the Visio Diagram. I know how to hyperlink to other file. My questions is there a way to get a thumb nail graphic of a Visio diagram so I can use it as a inserted graphic of the different Visio digrams? On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 18:16:01 -0800, JPK <JPK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to >show a high level...

How Do I Do This In Visio?
Hi All, Quick question. I have been given the task of drawing a map of all our sites using Visio. My Manager wants me to make it so that when a user moves their mouse over each site, the IP info, # of users, etc. appears on the screen. Can someone tell me how I can do this using Visio. Thanks in advance, Vik well you might start here for a stencil http://www.shapesource.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=37 Then you can use the Insert Comment. Pretty basic. Better stuff is coming, you might want to check this out http://blogs.msdn.com/eric%5Frockey/ so you don't spend a lot o...

Visio
The "Nudge" command in Visio should not move Dynamic Connectors when the Text Box Tool is active. It should only "Nudge" text contained in the Text Box in my opinion. Thanks. ...

create a line with 2 colours in visio
Hi How do i create one solid line with 2 colours? e.g. red above green? I cant figure out how to do it. What if I wanted to make a coloured line with 3 colours, e.g. one line/ wire showing 3 colours like green/blue/brown say for a plug colours. Thanks On Tue, 18 May 2010 11:25:10 -0700 (PDT), Chris <cconnell_1@lycos.com> wrote: >Hi >How do i create one solid line with 2 colours? e.g. red above green? >I cant figure out how to do it. > >What if I wanted to make a coloured line with 3 colours, e.g. one line/ >wire showing 3 colours like green/blue/brown...

XML format of Visio Control....
Hi, Is there any way to get the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) without saving it physically in disk ? In other word is it possible to generate the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) for any change we do there without needing to save it in hdd ??? Thank You in advance. ...

Hyperlink one Visio diagram to another Visio diagram (in Visio 200 #3
I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to show a high level overview of processes. If someone wanted a more detailed view of a particular process they could click on the Visio Diagram. I know how to hyperlink to other file. My questions is there a way to get a thumb nail graphic of a Visio diagram so I can use it as a inserted graphic of the different Visio digrams? ...

how do i use files from visio 4.1 with visio 2007
I have and older Ver. of Visio 4.1 on one computer and then transfered the file to my other computer. I then downloaded a new trial ver. of Visio 2007 and I tried to make changes to the transfered file but could not any ideas? On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:22:03 -0700, Wenbob20 <Wenbob20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I have and older Ver. of Visio 4.1 on one computer and then transfered the >file to my other computer. I then downloaded a new trial ver. of Visio 2007 >and I tried to make changes to the transfered file but could not any ideas? Were you able to load...

Visio 5 Help appears in Visio 2000
I have had Visio 2000 installed for a while on a Dell laptop running Win2K with the latest patches. Originally, I had Visio 5, and kept this installation while I made sure that Visio 2000 was stable, which was in 2002. I still have Visio 5 installed. My problem: Whenever I access the Help menu from Visio 2000, the title bar on the Help file indicates that I am accessing Visio 5 Help. I looked in the registry and found some entries all pointing to Visio 5 ..HLP and .CNT files. I changed the path to point to Visio 2000, but the Visio 2K help files are all .CHM - so naturally I get an err...

Hyperlink one Visio diagram to another Visio diagram (in Visio 200 #2
I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to show a high level overview of processes. If someone wanted a more detailed view of a particular process they could click on the Visio Diagram. I know how to hyperlink to other file. My questions is there a way to get a thumb nail graphic of a Visio diagram so I can use it as a inserted graphic of the different Visio digrams? ...

Permanently attaching Comment Tags to Visio Shapes
I would like to know how to keep the comment tags I assign to Visi shapes permanently attached to the shape. The way it is now, if I mov a shape, I have to go back and move its comment tag separately. Thi essentially makes moving a shape a two-step process -- mpstockdal ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mpstockdale's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=437 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=120153 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i Visio has two forms of comments. The one you used is independant of any ...

Visio EA vs Visio 2003?
Hi All, I was hoping a few of you could shed some light on a question that has been popping up among my developers. Many of whom are currently running Visio for Enterprise Architects that is available with Visual Studio.NET. I believe it is the same version of Visio regardless of whether you are using the 2002 or 2003 version of Visual Studio Enterprise. Please correct me if I am wrong. The big question I am hitting is: What reasons are there to upgrade to Visio 2003 (v11?) if you are already running Enterprise Architect of v10? Also, is there an EA version for Visio 2003, or would you b...

Saving Visio files as JPG files?
I am currently working on a network documentation project and have succesfully saved single page files a JPG files. One documented region of the network is a large file with multiple pages of information in one file. I have tried to copy each page one by one to Word,JPG or PDF. When I try this there is nothing displayed. I am wondering why the single page visio files will perfom this transition where the multi-page files will not even when copied out a page at a time. Does anybody know if there is a known issue or workaround for this. TW, Exporting as EMF usually creates smaller file sizes i...

What is Visio #2
I received some files with a DWG extention. The supplier of these files tells me I can view them with Visio. I have never used Visio. Is it a separate purchase or does it come with XP? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Ken The short answer is visio is a diagramming tool used across multiple disciplines. Here's the official web site page http://www.microsoft.com/office/visio/prodinfo/default.mspx Al "Ken C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8f3d01c4d235$52312a70$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I received some files with a DWG extention. The ...

Which Version of Visio is this?
I am new at database modeling and reading a book called "Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Databases By John V. Petersen" which uses (Old Versions) Visio & Access for examples. But the book does not say which versions. In the book the author makes an ERD diagram using the Crow's Feet ERD.VST from the Solutions/Database folder using the "Create Database Wizard". Which version of Visio is this. How to make a Access Database from Visio? Is this function availabe in all versions. On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:28:04 -0800, JAA149 <JAA149@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Visio Shutting down
Can somebody help? Visio is shuting down when trying to save a drawing. I click on the file save icon and then the drawing shuts down without saving Which version of Visio are you running? Does it happen for a blank drawing too? -- -ronnie [MS] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Brian" <brian@gmr1.com> wrote in message news:0eaf01c33fef$20b2fac0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can somebody help? > > > Visio is shuting down when trying to save a drawing. I > click on the file save icon and then the drawing shuts &...

How do I link Visio Custom Properites to an Excell Spreadsheet
consider investigating the database wizard under tools (export to database) al "MB" <MB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:710B554E-59B1-4617-988F-96253CAB09E3@microsoft.com... > ...

Purchasing Visio Pro 2003
I am finding out that purchasing Visio Pro 2003 is basically an imposibility. Does anyone know why this is or where Ican purchase it? -- Laxotive Only On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:08:08 -0700, Laxotive <Laxotive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am finding out that purchasing Visio Pro 2003 is basically an imposibility. > Does anyone know why this is or where Ican purchase it? eBay? -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. DFD/SSADM for Visio http://www.visio-dfd.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

Visio macros for ALL Visio files??
Hi all, No matter what I do, when I create a macro in Visio, that macro only works in the file I created it in, and not in any files other that I have already created. That is useless too me, because I want my macro to format a footer for me, and I have 600 files it must do this to (one at a time -- but I wish it could do this globaly, but that's too much to ask)! Is there any way at all to make the new macro available to any and all open Visio files? (I have Visio 2003 SP2) Thanks! -Bill Hi Bill, Yes, you're right, there's no "Normal.dot" to hold your "glo...

How do I crop pictures in Visio 2003?
I have just moved onto Visio 2003. The previous version allowed me to crop images on a Visio page but 2003 doesn't seem to have the facility to do it. Am I just looking in the wrong place or has this function been removed in the later version? Thanks in advance for any assistance On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:23:01 -0800, Broadcast techie <Broadcast techie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have just moved onto Visio 2003. The previous version allowed me to crop >images on a Visio page but 2003 doesn't seem to have the facility to do it. > >Am I just looking i...

is visio good for landscape design
is visio good for landscape design - please advise ------=_NextPart_0001_1ECFD278 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, Visio is good for Landscape design. In Visio, creating drawings is as simple as Drag and Drop shapes from stencils to the drawing. You have the most common elements required for Landscaping in the stencils. In your drawing, you can add roads and parking stalls, add landscaping elements and much more in the site plan. You can drag curbs and driveways, add parking, roads, add dimensions and much more. You can add landscaping elements like fence, g...

Did you know Visio could do this? Visio Webcast
Visio Partner Webcast Series - Visimation & Orbus Software - Tuesday, April 19th, 9am (PDT) Visimation, who partnered with Microsoft to develop the Visio Connector for MBSA, will demonstrate how this tool enhances the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer by displaying scan results on network diagrams. Orbus Software will demonstrate iServer for Visio that allows teams working on business process management, network design or other modeling tasks to collaborate down to the shape level, sharing work dynamically over the network. Pre-Register Now at http://placeware.viewcentral.com/...

Test case generation with Visio
Hi, Is there any way to generate test cases using visio drawing? OR Can we use any third party tool with Visio to generate test cases? Regards/Mayank On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 03:24:01 -0700, Mayank <Mayank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Is there any way to generate test cases using visio drawing? > >OR > >Can we use any third party tool with Visio to generate test cases? http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/ Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/ ...