Visio Newbie

Hello all, this is my first time using Visio for drawing a floor plan and I
have a quick question.

Yesterday, (Using a tape measure) I mapped out the floor plan of an office
my company might be moving into.   I wrote everything down in Inches.
Is there a way once I get a room shape kinda close to teh measurements, that
I can manually type in teh length for each wall?
if not in inches, at least in feet.
For example, I have one wall that is 154 inches ( 12.83 ft)  Then the next
wall is 242 incehs( 20.1 ft)  The opposite wall of the first measurement is
288 inches, third wall 100 inches, then 134 inches, then 142 inches.  Yup,
an "L" shapped room starting at teh bottome and working counter clockwise.

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thank!!

0
john8432 (48)
7/9/2004 4:50:27 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Use the Office Floor Plan template and shapes.  Go to View > Size & Position
Window to bring up a window for direct entry of dimensions.

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

"johnfli" <john@here.com> wrote in message
> Hello all, this is my first time using Visio for drawing a floor plan and
> have a quick question.
>
> Yesterday, (Using a tape measure) I mapped out the floor plan of an office
> my company might be moving into.   I wrote everything down in Inches.
> Is there a way once I get a room shape kinda close to teh measurements,
that
> I can manually type in teh length for each wall?
> if not in inches, at least in feet.
> For example, I have one wall that is 154 inches ( 12.83 ft)  Then the next
> wall is 242 incehs( 20.1 ft)  The opposite wall of the first measurement
is
> 288 inches, third wall 100 inches, then 134 inches, then 142 inches.  Yup,
> an "L" shapped room starting at teh bottome and working counter clockwise.
>
> If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.
>
> Thank!!

0
marknel (439)
7/18/2004 3:50:16 AM
------=_NextPart_0001_0DFB323B

Hi John,

For you to change the units, there are two ways you can do it.

1. From the File Menu > Page Setup > Page Properties > Measurement Units
Drop down, select the Feet and Inches
   OR
2. a) In Visio 2003, From the Tools Menu > Options > Units > for the
Current Page, Click on Change and that leads you to the same dialogbox that
you used in Point 1 Above.

2. b) in Visio 2002, From the Tools Menu > Options > Regional > Under
Default Units for the Page, select the dimension as Feet and Inches as
required

And as Mark has pointed out, Select the shape to which you would like to
specify the dimension. Then, From the View Menu > select the Size and
Position Window. Here you can type the dimension for the shape.

Thanks and regards,

Umesh V.G
Microsoft Visio Technical Support

------=_NextPart_0001_0DFB323B

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hi John,
\par
\par For you to change the units, there are two ways you can do it.
\par
\par 1. From the File Menu > Page Setup > Page Properties > Measurement Units Drop down, select the Feet and Inches
\par    OR
\par 2. a) In Visio 2003, From the Tools Menu > Options > Units > for the Current Page, Click on Change and that leads you to the same dialogbox that you used in Point 1 Above.
\par
\par 2. b) in Visio 2002, From the Tools Menu > Options > Regional > Under Default Units for the Page, select the dimension as Feet and Inches as required
\par
\par And as Mark has pointed out, Select the shape to which you would like to specify the dimension. Then, From the View Menu > select the Size and Position Window. Here you can type the dimension for the shape.
\par
\par Thanks and regards,
\par
\par Umesh V.G
\par Microsoft Visio Technical Support
\par
\par
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_0DFB323B--

0
vgumesh (41)

Linking Excel to Visio
Is it possible to limk the text box associated with a shape to a cell in ann excel wrksheet? this was offered by another user (rene) There were two kb articles describing the steps to set up a link between Visio and Excel http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254591 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323451 al "Mark Dullingham" <MarkDullingham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F886EA40-469E-4523-A4F3-80AB376F2555@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to limk the text box associated with a shape to a cell in > ann ...

Visio Stencils.
Hi, Using Visio Professional 2003. I have visio stencil which denotes a patch panel. I want to be able to change the ports, which are currently white to another colour, red. As it stands nothing I've tried has changed the colour, however if I ungroup the stencil twice I'm able to select the individual ports and change the fill colour. the trouble of doing this is that firstly the object is ungrouped and second it no longers snaps to other objects such as racks. Any ideas how can restore the orginal stencil after its been ungrouped ? Thanks in advance. You've run into one ...

writting text on visio
I want to add text to the body of my Visio 2003 network diagram I don't know how to do that. ...

Hyperlink one Visio diagram to another Visio diagram (in Visio 200
I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to show a high level overview of processes. If someone wanted a more detailed view of a particular process they could click on the Visio Diagram. I know how to hyperlink to other file. My questions is there a way to get a thumb nail graphic of a Visio diagram so I can use it as a inserted graphic of the different Visio digrams? On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 18:16:01 -0800, JPK <JPK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to >show a high level...

How Do I Do This In Visio?
Hi All, Quick question. I have been given the task of drawing a map of all our sites using Visio. My Manager wants me to make it so that when a user moves their mouse over each site, the IP info, # of users, etc. appears on the screen. Can someone tell me how I can do this using Visio. Thanks in advance, Vik well you might start here for a stencil http://www.shapesource.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=37 Then you can use the Insert Comment. Pretty basic. Better stuff is coming, you might want to check this out http://blogs.msdn.com/eric%5Frockey/ so you don't spend a lot o...

Visio
The "Nudge" command in Visio should not move Dynamic Connectors when the Text Box Tool is active. It should only "Nudge" text contained in the Text Box in my opinion. Thanks. ...

create a line with 2 colours in visio
Hi How do i create one solid line with 2 colours? e.g. red above green? I cant figure out how to do it. What if I wanted to make a coloured line with 3 colours, e.g. one line/ wire showing 3 colours like green/blue/brown say for a plug colours. Thanks On Tue, 18 May 2010 11:25:10 -0700 (PDT), Chris <cconnell_1@lycos.com> wrote: >Hi >How do i create one solid line with 2 colours? e.g. red above green? >I cant figure out how to do it. > >What if I wanted to make a coloured line with 3 colours, e.g. one line/ >wire showing 3 colours like green/blue/brown...

XML format of Visio Control....
Hi, Is there any way to get the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) without saving it physically in disk ? In other word is it possible to generate the XML format of a ActiveX Vision Document control (dropped in a C# form) for any change we do there without needing to save it in hdd ??? Thank You in advance. ...

Hyperlink one Visio diagram to another Visio diagram (in Visio 200 #3
I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to show a high level overview of processes. If someone wanted a more detailed view of a particular process they could click on the Visio Diagram. I know how to hyperlink to other file. My questions is there a way to get a thumb nail graphic of a Visio diagram so I can use it as a inserted graphic of the different Visio digrams? ...

how do i use files from visio 4.1 with visio 2007
I have and older Ver. of Visio 4.1 on one computer and then transfered the file to my other computer. I then downloaded a new trial ver. of Visio 2007 and I tried to make changes to the transfered file but could not any ideas? On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:22:03 -0700, Wenbob20 <Wenbob20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I have and older Ver. of Visio 4.1 on one computer and then transfered the >file to my other computer. I then downloaded a new trial ver. of Visio 2007 >and I tried to make changes to the transfered file but could not any ideas? Were you able to load...

Visio 5 Help appears in Visio 2000
I have had Visio 2000 installed for a while on a Dell laptop running Win2K with the latest patches. Originally, I had Visio 5, and kept this installation while I made sure that Visio 2000 was stable, which was in 2002. I still have Visio 5 installed. My problem: Whenever I access the Help menu from Visio 2000, the title bar on the Help file indicates that I am accessing Visio 5 Help. I looked in the registry and found some entries all pointing to Visio 5 ..HLP and .CNT files. I changed the path to point to Visio 2000, but the Visio 2K help files are all .CHM - so naturally I get an err...

Formula Problem for Newbie
I have 4 columns : A1 is date; B1 is Advance; C1 is Deposit and D1 is Total... How do I do this formula so that D1 shows the total. The total column will be in a negative because the Advances are more than the Deposits but I think if I just insert the Advance with a - sign, this should work. Have spent an hour trying to figure out this simple thing, so finally decided to ask for help. Thanks! If the Advance are positive values use =C1-B1 Otherwise =C1+B1 best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Terri" <t...

XDE newbie
Started a new project where Rational XDE is used with VS.NET. Though it seems its not really used consequently at developer level. Some VS projects have models, some don't. So my question is. What would me "economical" things to use it for, and how do I get there? By economical I mean that I do not have to spend a lot of time before I increase my productivity. People ive talked to don't think its a good idea to use it for reverse- engineering to understand existing code. ...If not I think the main use of UML is to communicate your design to others. If I'm not require...

Hyperlink one Visio diagram to another Visio diagram (in Visio 200 #2
I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to show a high level overview of processes. If someone wanted a more detailed view of a particular process they could click on the Visio Diagram. I know how to hyperlink to other file. My questions is there a way to get a thumb nail graphic of a Visio diagram so I can use it as a inserted graphic of the different Visio digrams? ...

Permanently attaching Comment Tags to Visio Shapes
I would like to know how to keep the comment tags I assign to Visi shapes permanently attached to the shape. The way it is now, if I mov a shape, I have to go back and move its comment tag separately. Thi essentially makes moving a shape a two-step process -- mpstockdal ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mpstockdale's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=437 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=120153 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i Visio has two forms of comments. The one you used is independant of any ...

Visio EA vs Visio 2003?
Hi All, I was hoping a few of you could shed some light on a question that has been popping up among my developers. Many of whom are currently running Visio for Enterprise Architects that is available with Visual Studio.NET. I believe it is the same version of Visio regardless of whether you are using the 2002 or 2003 version of Visual Studio Enterprise. Please correct me if I am wrong. The big question I am hitting is: What reasons are there to upgrade to Visio 2003 (v11?) if you are already running Enterprise Architect of v10? Also, is there an EA version for Visio 2003, or would you b...

newbie trouble with formula
Hi all..could you please help me with the following formula? =if(weekday(B2-1)=1,B2-3,B2-1) B2 is 7/31/2008. I'm very new at excel, please forgive my lack of knowledge. Thanks! -- jenn k There's nothing wrong with your formula so you'll need to explain the logic of what you want to do. Here's what your formula is saying: If B2-1 = Sunday, subtract 3 days from B2 otherwise subtract 1 day from B2. Is that what you want it to do? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "jenn k" <jennk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE60D6AD-D058-4631-BC33-3522EF...

Saving Visio files as JPG files?
I am currently working on a network documentation project and have succesfully saved single page files a JPG files. One documented region of the network is a large file with multiple pages of information in one file. I have tried to copy each page one by one to Word,JPG or PDF. When I try this there is nothing displayed. I am wondering why the single page visio files will perfom this transition where the multi-page files will not even when copied out a page at a time. Does anybody know if there is a known issue or workaround for this. TW, Exporting as EMF usually creates smaller file sizes i...

What is Visio #2
I received some files with a DWG extention. The supplier of these files tells me I can view them with Visio. I have never used Visio. Is it a separate purchase or does it come with XP? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Ken The short answer is visio is a diagramming tool used across multiple disciplines. Here's the official web site page http://www.microsoft.com/office/visio/prodinfo/default.mspx Al "Ken C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8f3d01c4d235$52312a70$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I received some files with a DWG extention. The ...

Which Version of Visio is this?
I am new at database modeling and reading a book called "Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Databases By John V. Petersen" which uses (Old Versions) Visio & Access for examples. But the book does not say which versions. In the book the author makes an ERD diagram using the Crow's Feet ERD.VST from the Solutions/Database folder using the "Create Database Wizard". Which version of Visio is this. How to make a Access Database from Visio? Is this function availabe in all versions. On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:28:04 -0800, JAA149 <JAA149@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

How do I link Visio Custom Properites to an Excell Spreadsheet
consider investigating the database wizard under tools (export to database) al "MB" <MB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:710B554E-59B1-4617-988F-96253CAB09E3@microsoft.com... > ...

Help for newbie
Hello, I have made a sheet to compute the meals from my newborn baby (yipee) I have the following columns A B C D qty date time day total I'd like to have the date and time fields automatically set when I enter a qty but if I use the now() function it recalculates the ENTIRE sheet everytime I add a new entry. I have browsed the forums and I think one of the solutions would be to have VBA code telling the sheet that : "When exiting the qty column, update the date and time on the same row only" Or is there an alternative method that would force the now() function to perfo...

Visio Shutting down
Can somebody help? Visio is shuting down when trying to save a drawing. I click on the file save icon and then the drawing shuts down without saving Which version of Visio are you running? Does it happen for a blank drawing too? -- -ronnie [MS] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Brian" <brian@gmr1.com> wrote in message news:0eaf01c33fef$20b2fac0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can somebody help? > > > Visio is shuting down when trying to save a drawing. I > click on the file save icon and then the drawing shuts &...

Newbie
I have installed Exchange 2003 (new install) on a new install of Windows Server 2003. When I went to add info for the SMTP server (using Exchange Management System - EMS) I navigated to Servers - Exchange1 - Protocols - SMTP There's no default SMTP server listed in there. How can I get one in there? -Fran- Did you have IIS installed already? <Fran> wrote in message news:vmrpu1h04d06lpot07kbqu78lnsflpqcaa@4ax.com... >I have installed Exchange 2003 (new install) on a new install of > Windows Server 2003. > > When I went to add info for the SMTP server (using Exch...

Purchasing Visio Pro 2003
I am finding out that purchasing Visio Pro 2003 is basically an imposibility. Does anyone know why this is or where Ican purchase it? -- Laxotive Only On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:08:08 -0700, Laxotive <Laxotive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am finding out that purchasing Visio Pro 2003 is basically an imposibility. > Does anyone know why this is or where Ican purchase it? eBay? -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. DFD/SSADM for Visio http://www.visio-dfd.sandrila.co.uk/ ...