Visio 2003 - Org Chart from Excel Ignores Modified Masters in Document Stencil

Hi all.  I've been banging my head against the wall here, and would
certainly appreciate a hand.

I'm working on a reasonably-sized org chart of 400 companies using the
Org Chart US Units template & stencil.  The source is an Excel sheet
with a combination of entered text, numbers, and formulas.  Some of the
columns are used to modify the appearance of the shape instance, for
example, if the parent company is A, then the outline is regular black.
 But if it's B, then the outline is blue.  Or if another value is C,
then the shape is a regular rectangle, but if it's D, the corners are
rounded to become a rectangle.

I've made a number of changes in the master shapes in the document
stencil.  (In fact, I don't use the "official" stencil at all, and I
really wish I could make it stop loading and filling my document
stencil with shapes I don't want and haven't used each time I open the
diagram.)

Imports are done by erasing all shapes on the current page and running
Organization Chart --> Import Organization Data.  Similar results occur
if the Master Shape is copied into a new document and the process is
repeated.

There's a fair bit of text in some of the shapes, so I want to increase
their size.  In the Document Stencil's copy of the Master Shape of
Position, the formula for Height is SETATREF(User.Height).  So I
changed User.Height from 0.5 in*DropOnPageScale to 1
in*DropOnPageScale.  The master window shows exactly what it should - a
taller shape.  When I save and update, none of the instances of
Position grow in height.  Checking a ShapeSheet indicates the
User.Height cell still has the formula of 0.5 in*DropOnPageScale.  This
doesn't update even after the shapes are re-imported or fiddled with in
the drawing window.  (User.Width behaves similarly.  I've set it to 1
in*DropOnPageScale in the ShapeSheet, but a random shape has the
formula of 1
in*IF(AND(GetVal(User.DocShowPicture),GetVal(User.ShowPicture),GetVal(User.HasPicture)),1.5,1)*DropOnPageScale
which is the stencil default.)

Another example: In the spreadsheet, there's a column specifiying the
layer membership.  The formula evaluates to something like 0;3;5 for
membership in those layers.  It goes into a ShapeSheet cell called
Prop.Layers as "0;3;5".  In the Master's Layer Membership section, the
formula SETATREF(Prop.Layers) should set the shape's layer value at
creation or refresh.  But picking a random shape shows that despite a
value of "0;3;5" in Prop.Layers, Layer Membership is simply "".  The
View Layers dialog indicates there are 1072 shapes in layer 0 (and none
elsewhere), but Select By Type finds nothing when I ask it to locate
anything in layer 0.

(I've worked around this with:

Sub SetAllLayers()
Dim MyShape As Shape

    For Each MyShape In ActivePage.Shapes

        If MyShape.Master.Name = "Position" _
            Or MyShape.Master.Name = "Manager" _
            Or MyShape.Master.Name = "Executive" Then

            MyShape.CellsSRC(visSectionObject, visRowLayerMem, _
                 visLayerMember).FormulaU = "Prop.Layers"

        End If

    Next MyShape

End Sub

but I don't want to depend on code, because someone would need to
remember to run it.)

Some things work fine.  In FillFormat.FillForeground, I refer to
Prop.ocwiz_14, which contains an RGB function.  In
LineFormat.LineColor, a combination of IF and STRSAME finds a value in
another cell and appropriately chooses a LineColor for the shape.
There are others too.  Modifying the master, e.g. rotating the shape,
causes all shapes on the sheet to rotate as well, so there is a
definite link remaining.

Auuuuuggghhh!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Neman Syed
neman@*YOUKNOWWHATTODOWITHTHISPART*istcd.com
http://www.istcd.com

0
google971 (2)
3/9/2006 3:19:04 AM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The problem you are encountered has to do with inheritance between masters
and shape instances.  When you drag out a shape from a stencil, you are
creating a shape instance from the master in the stencil.  Initially all the
properties (i.e. Shapesheet cells) on the shape instance inherit their
values from the master shape.  This means that if the cell in the master
shape changes, the cell in the shape instance changes too.

However, it is possible for the user (or the Org Chart application) to make
changes directly on the shape instance.  Visio automatically changes the
PinX and PinY cells to match the position of the shape instance on the page.
If you change the fill or line color, those cells get changed on the shape
instance.  Once a cell is set in the shape instance, that cell no longer
inherits from the cell in the master.  Thus your master changes do not
propagate.

In your case, the Org Chart application is changing the User.Width and
User.Height cells as the shape instance is dropped on the page.

However, in the case of shape size and a few other settings, you can specify
what you want directly in the Organization Chart > Options dialog.  No
master editing is required.

--
Mark Nelson
Office Graphics - Visio

<google@istcd.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
>    For Each MyShape In ActivePage.Shapes
>
>        If MyShape.Master.Name = "Position" _
>            Or MyShape.Master.Name = "Manager" _
>            Or MyShape.Master.Name = "Executive" Then
>
>            MyShape.CellsSRC(visSectionObject, visRowLayerMem, _
>                 visLayerMember).FormulaU = "Prop.Layers"
>
>        End If
>
>    Next MyShape
>
> End Sub
>
> but I don't want to depend on code, because someone would need to
> remember to run it.)
>
> Some things work fine.  In FillFormat.FillForeground, I refer to
> Prop.ocwiz_14, which contains an RGB function.  In
> LineFormat.LineColor, a combination of IF and STRSAME finds a value in
> another cell and appropriately chooses a LineColor for the shape.
> There are others too.  Modifying the master, e.g. rotating the shape,
> causes all shapes on the sheet to rotate as well, so there is a

0
marknel (439)
3/9/2006 5:45:03 AM
Gotcha.  So the inheritance could either be taking place from my
modified shape and then the Org Chart app is overwriting it, or the Org
Chart gets its info from the "official" shapes and only some of my
modified shapes' properties come through after the fact.  If the
latter, it seems impossible to predict which will work and which won't.
 Quelle drag...

Either way, it looks like a code-based "cleanup" approach after the
import will be required.  I want my end users to have to do as little
as possible, a sort of "step 1 -- import, step 2 -- click the magic
button" approach.

Thanks though Mark!  Now I just need to ice my head. :-)

Mark Nelson [MS] wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >    For Each MyShape In ActivePage.Shapes
> >
> >        If MyShape.Master.Name = "Position" _
> >            Or MyShape.Master.Name = "Manager" _
> >            Or MyShape.Master.Name = "Executive" Then
> >
> >            MyShape.CellsSRC(visSectionObject, visRowLayerMem, _
> >                 visLayerMember).FormulaU = "Prop.Layers"
> >
> >        End If
> >
> >    Next MyShape
> >
> > End Sub
> >
> > but I don't want to depend on code, because someone would need to
> > remember to run it.)
> >
> > Some things work fine.  In FillFormat.FillForeground, I refer to
> > Prop.ocwiz_14, which contains an RGB function.  In
> > LineFormat.LineColor, a combination of IF and STRSAME finds a value in
> > another cell and appropriately chooses a LineColor for the shape.
> > There are others too.  Modifying the master, e.g. rotating the shape,
> > causes all shapes on the sheet to rotate as well, so there is a

0
google971 (2)

mailing list servers for Exchange 2000/2003?
Are there any decent majordomo/listserv servers that integrate with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2000/2003? Try http://www.ikakura.com "Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@nospam.perlegen.com> wrote in message news:#X1spgS5DHA.1368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Are there any decent majordomo/listserv servers that integrate with Windows > 2003 and Exchange 2000/2003? > > ...

Converting Coordinates in Excel
I need some help coming up with an Excel formula for converting coordinates (dd-mm-ss) to a digital format. Can someone help? I have a start to the formula, but something is wrong. Here is what I have started already (keeping in mind something is wrong): =Latitude Degrees+Latitude Minutes/60+Latitude Seconds/3600 =Longitude Degrees+Longitude Minutes/60+Longitude Seconds/3600 ....it appears in my Excel Spreadsheet as =A2+B2/60+C2/3600 =D2+E2/60+F2/3600 What am I missing? Thanks, Johnny Blood Don't know. Looks OK to me. 15 30 0 15.5 30 0 16 -- John johnf202 at h...

Outlook 2003 Beta IE Problem
I'm running the beta of Microsoft Office under Windows XP Pro with everything patched to the latest version. When I load Outlook 2003 beta and click on a link to a forum in my email, it always loads each link in a new window in internet explorer. I have "reuse windows" checked in internet explorer. I would like it to load each link in the same internet explorer window. I think there must be some setting in outlook 2003 for this, but I can't find it. Does anyone know how to fix this? This problem didn't occur in Outlook XP. Thanks. Shannon ...

Rich text internal, Plain text incoming external
Any suggestions on how to accomplish the following goal and systems Server: Exchange Server 200 Workstations: Outlook 200 Internal email communcation: Rich text primary, plain text secondary, no HTML for messages sent or receive External email communcation (incoming): Plain text primary, no Rich text, no HTM Thank you. ...

Exchange 2003 #4
We are going to move to Exchange 2003 next month to combate spam. I know Exchange 2003 has the ability to block spammers. Is this with a real time black list or open relay or something else? Is this something we have to subscribe to or is the service free? If we block out folks with an open relay would that not also block out folks sending us good e-mail messages? How do you seperate out the bad spam from the good e-mail Thanks! LucyMolly@comcast.net ...

Linking Excel to Visio
Is it possible to limk the text box associated with a shape to a cell in ann excel wrksheet? this was offered by another user (rene) There were two kb articles describing the steps to set up a link between Visio and Excel http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254591 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323451 al "Mark Dullingham" <MarkDullingham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F886EA40-469E-4523-A4F3-80AB376F2555@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to limk the text box associated with a shape to a cell in > ann ...

"Exit" goes back to the document.
Frank, >> 1) I have: >> void CHtmlRichEditViewSSL::OnUpdateEditFind(CCmdUI* >> pCmdUI) >> { >> OnOffMenus(pCmdUI); >> } >> >> void CHtmlRichEditViewSSL::OnOffMenus(CCmdUI* pCmdUI) >> { >> CMainFrame* pFrameWnd = static_cast<CMainFrame*> >> (AfxGetMainWnd()); >> if (NULL != pFrameWnd) { >> CHTMLEditDoc* pDoc = static_cast<CHTMLEditDoc*> >> (pFrameWnd->GetActiveDocument()); >> pCmdUI->Enable(pDoc->IsModified()); >> } >> } >> >> It will only "...

exchange 2003 sp2 database
Hi, Someone told met that I should not let the mailbox store grow above 32 GB, because it will start corrupting. Can someone tell me if this is true? I cannot find any information about what happens when the store grows bigger that 32 GB. We need the functionality that SP2 gives regarding the 16 GB limit. Thanks in advance That is total nonsense. Exchange can manage very large databases. The limiting factor in database size is backup/restore windows and maintenance times. /Simon "Ruud Boersma" <RuudBoersma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:127CBDC8-65E3...

All rules stopped working
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C73669.DDC9E2D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-2" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Guys, all my rules stopped working today in my outlook. 2 days ago I created = new profile and set it up to deliver to local PST (quota issue on our = exchange). I re-worked my rules and they were working just like before. = Today they stopped working. I tried export - delete- import. I tried to = delete rules and re-create them but nothing helps. If I run rules = manualy they are working. Any ideas?...

Adding Info to Chart
How do I add info to the begining of a series in an excel chart? You want to extend the range to start earlier in the sheet? Go to Chart menu > Source Data > Series tab, select each series, and change the ranges identified for X values (or category labels) and Y values so they start at an earlier row or column. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED8C538A-9700-4889-BF95-C0C9E51E8A0B@microsoft.co...

Outlook 2003 MRU
Does anyone know how I can get access to the Outlook 2003 MRU list that contains email addresses that I have used? My Sent items has been cleared down but I have a whole load of mail addresses to add to my contacts list and they are all in the MRU list that pops up as I start to enter an email address to the "TO" box ... Many thanks, jON Jon Rowlan <jon.rowlan@sads.com> wrote: > Does anyone know how I can get access to the Outlook 2003 MRU list > that contains email addresses that I have used? %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook\yourprofile.NK2 > My Sent items has ...

Creating GIFs in Excel 2003 for use in Dreamweaver
I have used Excel in the past to create GIF files of charts to be uploaded to the Web through Dreamweaver without difficulty. Using Excel 2003, however, GIF files that I create by "saving as web page" turn out fuzzy when posted to the web. (They look fine when copied to Word or Paint -- haven't tried Photoshop.) This is true whether I use a chart from an old file created in an earlier version of Excel or a new chart built from scratch in the Excel 2003. I've looked through the chart settings to see if my new version of Excel is configured differently from the old, ...

Different Header on First page in Excel
Is there a way to not have the Header show up on the 1st page of an Excel Spreadsheet? Would like the answer to this from Excel 2000 and 2003 formats. Thanks! Try this from Ron de Bruin posted earlier this spring: Suppress Header on 1st Page Sub Test() Dim TotPages As Long TotPages = Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro("GET.DOCUMENT (50)") With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .RightHeader = "Your Header info" ActiveSheet.PrintOut From:=1, To:=1 .RightHeader = "Your Header info" ActiveSheet.PrintOut From:=2, To:=TotPages End With En...

Microsoft CRM and Exchange 2003 SP1
Hey there, Does anyone know if Microsoft CRM has any known issues with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP1? -- mvh Morten ...

Bug in Outlook 2003's contact book
Using the Outlook address book (SP1) When setting up a new contact I add their telephone number. Next thing that happens is that I get a Location Information window appearing asking for my location in order to setup auto-dialing... If I hit cancel and then to the question "Are you sure you want to cancel" select Yes the Location window doesn't close, worse still it's stays in focus and doesn't allow me to continue working with Outlook. The only solution is to enter the details which then takes me on to the Phone & Modem options. I don't have a modem, and t...

Visio Stencils.
Hi, Using Visio Professional 2003. I have visio stencil which denotes a patch panel. I want to be able to change the ports, which are currently white to another colour, red. As it stands nothing I've tried has changed the colour, however if I ungroup the stencil twice I'm able to select the individual ports and change the fill colour. the trouble of doing this is that firstly the object is ungrouped and second it no longers snaps to other objects such as racks. Any ideas how can restore the orginal stencil after its been ungrouped ? Thanks in advance. You've run into one ...

Excel 2003
Hi Guys: There is probably no way to beat this, but it's worth a try. I am downloading a list and if count this list with the following formula it gives me what I would expect. Column A = 285 names (contiguious) (Starts in row 2) Formula =COUNTA(A:A) gives me 285 Because this list includes a lot of repeats and I am interested in a count of unique names, I sort the list. Then in column B(B2) I insert the formula =IF(A1=A2,"",A2) and copy it down. This gives me a list with lots of holes where the repeat name occur. I use the formula: = COUNTA(B:B) and expected a number much les...

Microsoft SBS 2003 with CRM error
Hello I have an SBS 2003, R2 SP1 server running CRM that causes two errors every minute (exactly every 60 seconds). They coinside 60 seconds from the time I restart the CRM Exchange Router service. The first error is a Dcom error in the System log and the second is a MSCRMExRouterService error in the application log. As they happen every minute, both logs are a sea of red and fill very quickly. (CRM and the server actually run fine and no actual issue has occured at the server or client end, just the event logs) Event Type: Error Event Source: DCOM Event Category: None Event ID: 10016 Date:...

Personal.xlsb does not load automatically when I start Excel 2007
Although my personal macro workbook (Personal.xlsb) is saved to my XLStart folder (In Microsoft Windows XP, this workbook is saved in the C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder). The personal macro workbook does not open automatically when I start Excel 2007. I get the following message when I try and record a macro using the macro recorder "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording". Any suggestions how I can resolve this? Kind Regards, James, Try moving the file out of that folder, then start...

writting text on visio
I want to add text to the body of my Visio 2003 network diagram I don't know how to do that. ...

Change source text in Excel from all caps to upper and lower case.
I am trying to print envelopes in Word. This would be an easy way: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm Or, if VBA isn't an alternative for you: If Column A contains the Names, Insert a blank column after Column A. If A3 is the first name in the list, put =Proper(A3) into B3. Copy the formula down. Then, select all the new names in Column B and Copy. Edit | Paste Special | Values. Delete the original uppercase column. Repeat for each column you need to convert. tj "JoanS" wrote: > I am trying to print envelopes in Word. Are you using mailmerge? Maybe it would be easi...

Starting a "command line" .exe program from within an excel spreadsheet
Is there a way to link an external .exe file to a button on a worksheet. I have a fortran program, which carries out a set of analyses, that I would like to be able to call from a worksheet. Many thanks Richard Richard, Attach a macro to the button, along the lines of Sub RunDOSProgram() Dim myProgram As String myProgram = "C:\Program Files\BlahBlah.EXE -s" TaskID = Shell(myProgram, 1) End Sub I don't have any old DOS execeutables to test, so..... HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "kilter" <richard.pitman3@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:1180955654.898401...

outllook 2003 icon problem
I upgraded from outlook 2000 to outlook 2003. My Desktop Icon is the old 2000 icon however all other icons are the new 2003 icon. How can I change my desktop to be the new icon? On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:05:36 -0800, "Andre Monostori" <techguy@dslextreme.com> wrote: >I upgraded from outlook 2000 to outlook 2003. My Desktop Icon is the old >2000 icon however all other icons are the new 2003 icon. How can I change >my desktop to be the new icon? > Have you tried deleting it and creating a new one? -- <<<SgtRich>>> Email Client: Microsoft Offi...

Hyperlink one Visio diagram to another Visio diagram (in Visio 200
I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to show a high level overview of processes. If someone wanted a more detailed view of a particular process they could click on the Visio Diagram. I know how to hyperlink to other file. My questions is there a way to get a thumb nail graphic of a Visio diagram so I can use it as a inserted graphic of the different Visio digrams? On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 18:16:01 -0800, JPK <JPK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to hyperlink to many other Visio diagram within one diagram to >show a high level...

Outlook 2003 #352
My OS is Microsoft Vista Home. I cannot start Outlook 2003. I keep on getting this statement 'Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. MAP132.DLL is corrupt. I have Windows Mail in the system. I have tried reinstalling Office as suggested. But it still does not work. Cannot anyone advise me what to do?? "Linda QSC" <Linda QSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E70025FD-923C-4F8D-9ADB-A5307BE7FDA0@microsoft.com... > I cannot start Outlook 2003. I keep on getting this statement 'Cannot > start > Microsoft Office Outlook. MAP132.DLL is corrupt...