Standard Visual Basic vs Visual Basic for Applications

I've recently purchased Front Page and understand that I can code with Visual
Basic as part of this software package.

1. What does Front Page contain: Standard Visual Basic or VBA?
2. Do either or both work with Visual Studio?
3. Is Visio different from Visual Studio?
--
Deb
0

Front Page and Visio are both Microsoft Office applications that contain VBA
(Visual Basic for Applications).  These programs are productivity
applications first and programming platforms second.

Visual Studio is a pure programming application.  (All it does is let you
write other programs.)  Older versions of Visual Studio included support for
Standard Visual Basic as a programming language.  Current versions include
support for Visual Basic.NET.

There are some similarities between VBA and Visual Basic that often let you
use the same code with both.  Visual Basic.NET is fairly different from
these languages and the code is not easily shared.  Visual Studio does not
have any support for VBA.

To make things a bit more confusing, a version of Visual Studio (the
Enterprise Architect edition) includes a copy of Visio with the program.
This version is not as recent as the Microsoft Office Visio version but has
some extra functionality for software and database modeling.

--
Mark Nelson
Microsoft Corporation

"Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recently purchased Front Page and understand that I can code with
> Visual
> Basic as part of this software package.
>
> 1. What does Front Page contain: Standard Visual Basic or VBA?
> 2. Do either or both work with Visual Studio?
> 3. Is Visio different from Visual Studio?
> --
> Deb

0
marknel (439)
3/16/2005 4:02:58 AM
Thanks, Mark; very helpful.
Just want to clear up a few more points:
(4) So Visual Basic.net is a newer version of VBA?
and
(5) Is The community group folder of this discussion group area of MS titled
"Visio" referring to Visual Studio?

"Mark Nelson [MS]" wrote:

> Front Page and Visio are both Microsoft Office applications that contain VBA
> (Visual Basic for Applications).  These programs are productivity
> applications first and programming platforms second.
>
> Visual Studio is a pure programming application.  (All it does is let you
> write other programs.)  Older versions of Visual Studio included support for
> Standard Visual Basic as a programming language.  Current versions include
> support for Visual Basic.NET.
>
> There are some similarities between VBA and Visual Basic that often let you
> use the same code with both.  Visual Basic.NET is fairly different from
> these languages and the code is not easily shared.  Visual Studio does not
> have any support for VBA.
>
> To make things a bit more confusing, a version of Visual Studio (the
> Enterprise Architect edition) includes a copy of Visio with the program.
> This version is not as recent as the Microsoft Office Visio version but has
> some extra functionality for software and database modeling.
>
> --
> Mark Nelson
> Microsoft Corporation

> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've recently purchased Front Page and understand that I can code with
> > Visual
> > Basic as part of this software package.
> >
> > 1. What does Front Page contain: Standard Visual Basic or VBA?
> > 2. Do either or both work with Visual Studio?
> > 3. Is Visio different from Visual Studio?
> > --
> > Deb

0
dlr (4)
3/16/2005 7:55:04 PM
Deb,
this the Visio community, not the VS community
VBA and VB.Net are different enough that in the MS documents they sometimes
refer to it as being a 'new' language. Usually we think of VBA for
applications, VB(6) as the legacy visual basic, and VB.Net for those that
want to do something with the web. Discussion beyond this tends to get
'religious' on which is better in what scenarios.
:-))
have a great one,
al
> Thanks, Mark; very helpful.
> Just want to clear up a few more points:
> (4) So Visual Basic.net is a newer version of VBA?
> and
> (5) Is The community group folder of this discussion group area of MS
> titled
> "Visio" referring to Visual Studio?
>

> "Mark Nelson [MS]" wrote:
>
>> Front Page and Visio are both Microsoft Office applications that contain
>> VBA
>> (Visual Basic for Applications).  These programs are productivity
>> applications first and programming platforms second.
>>
>> Visual Studio is a pure programming application.  (All it does is let you
>> write other programs.)  Older versions of Visual Studio included support
>> for
>> Standard Visual Basic as a programming language.  Current versions
>> include
>> support for Visual Basic.NET.
>>
>> There are some similarities between VBA and Visual Basic that often let
>> you
>> use the same code with both.  Visual Basic.NET is fairly different from
>> these languages and the code is not easily shared.  Visual Studio does
>> not
>> have any support for VBA.
>>
>> To make things a bit more confusing, a version of Visual Studio (the
>> Enterprise Architect edition) includes a copy of Visio with the program.
>> This version is not as recent as the Microsoft Office Visio version but
>> has
>> some extra functionality for software and database modeling.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Nelson
>> Microsoft Corporation

>> rights.
>>
>> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've recently purchased Front Page and understand that I can code with
>> > Visual
>> > Basic as part of this software package.
>> >
>> > 1. What does Front Page contain: Standard Visual Basic or VBA?
>> > 2. Do either or both work with Visual Studio?
>> > 3. Is Visio different from Visual Studio?
>> > --
>> > Deb

0
edlund1 (616)
3/16/2005 8:31:50 PM
    "VB.Net for those that want to do something with the web."

VB.Net is not just for the web.  It's managed VB (VB6 is native or unmanaged
VB).

Al is correct that VBA is closer to VB6 than VB.NET.  VB.NET, C# and managed
C++ are all languages of the .NET platform.

--
Lori Pearce
PSDK and .NET and WinFX SDK

"Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> Deb,
> this the Visio community, not the VS community
> VBA and VB.Net are different enough that in the MS documents they
> sometimes refer to it as being a 'new' language. Usually we think of VBA
> for applications, VB(6) as the legacy visual basic, and VB.Net for those
> that want to do something with the web. Discussion beyond this tends to
> get 'religious' on which is better in what scenarios.
> :-))
> have a great one,
> al
> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Mark; very helpful.
>> Just want to clear up a few more points:
>> (4) So Visual Basic.net is a newer version of VBA?
>> and
>> (5) Is The community group folder of this discussion group area of MS
>> titled
>> "Visio" referring to Visual Studio?
>>

>> "Mark Nelson [MS]" wrote:
>>
>>> Front Page and Visio are both Microsoft Office applications that contain
>>> VBA
>>> (Visual Basic for Applications).  These programs are productivity
>>> applications first and programming platforms second.
>>>
>>> Visual Studio is a pure programming application.  (All it does is let
>>> you
>>> write other programs.)  Older versions of Visual Studio included support
>>> for
>>> Standard Visual Basic as a programming language.  Current versions
>>> include
>>> support for Visual Basic.NET.
>>>
>>> There are some similarities between VBA and Visual Basic that often let
>>> you
>>> use the same code with both.  Visual Basic.NET is fairly different from
>>> these languages and the code is not easily shared.  Visual Studio does
>>> not
>>> have any support for VBA.
>>>
>>> To make things a bit more confusing, a version of Visual Studio (the
>>> Enterprise Architect edition) includes a copy of Visio with the program.
>>> This version is not as recent as the Microsoft Office Visio version but
>>> has
>>> some extra functionality for software and database modeling.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark Nelson
>>> Microsoft Corporation

>>> rights.
>>>
>>> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks Al; now I know that Visio and VS are not the same thing.

But I couldn't leave it at that--in case some other new soul doesn't know
either,
Visio is described (from a Google search) as "Microsoft Visio 2002 is a
diagramming software that is used to create flowcharts, organization charts,
network diagrams, database diagrams, ... "

Visual Studio is an IDE (Individual Development Environment) which allows
programmers of several computer languages (you buy the specific program
plug-ins separately) to use a visual (point and click) environment to develop
software through its life cycle.

Any chance there's a discussion group for Visual Studio? I don't see one
listed.

"Al Edlund" wrote:

> Deb,
> this the Visio community, not the VS community
> VBA and VB.Net are different enough that in the MS documents they sometimes
> refer to it as being a 'new' language. Usually we think of VBA for
> applications, VB(6) as the legacy visual basic, and VB.Net for those that
> want to do something with the web. Discussion beyond this tends to get
> 'religious' on which is better in what scenarios.
> :-))
> have a great one,
> al
> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Mark; very helpful.
> > Just want to clear up a few more points:
> > (4) So Visual Basic.net is a newer version of VBA?
> > and
> > (5) Is The community group folder of this discussion group area of MS
> > titled
> > "Visio" referring to Visual Studio?
> >

> > "Mark Nelson [MS]" wrote:
> >
> >> Front Page and Visio are both Microsoft Office applications that contain
> >> VBA
> >> (Visual Basic for Applications).  These programs are productivity
> >> applications first and programming platforms second.
> >>
> >> Visual Studio is a pure programming application.  (All it does is let you
> >> write other programs.)  Older versions of Visual Studio included support
> >> for
> >> Standard Visual Basic as a programming language.  Current versions
> >> include
> >> support for Visual Basic.NET.
> >>
> >> There are some similarities between VBA and Visual Basic that often let
> >> you
> >> use the same code with both.  Visual Basic.NET is fairly different from
> >> these languages and the code is not easily shared.  Visual Studio does
> >> not
> >> have any support for VBA.
> >>
> >> To make things a bit more confusing, a version of Visual Studio (the
> >> Enterprise Architect edition) includes a copy of Visio with the program.
> >> This version is not as recent as the Microsoft Office Visio version but
> >> has
> >> some extra functionality for software and database modeling.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark Nelson
> >> Microsoft Corporation

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
dlr (4)
3/16/2005 10:25:05 PM
try doing a search in newsgroups for vsnet or dotnet...
al
ps Lori, I warned it was religion.....
al

> Thanks Al; now I know that Visio and VS are not the same thing.
>
> But I couldn't leave it at that--in case some other new soul doesn't know
> either,
> Visio is described (from a Google search) as "Microsoft Visio 2002 is a
> diagramming software that is used to create flowcharts, organization
> charts,
> network diagrams, database diagrams, ... "
>
> Visual Studio is an IDE (Individual Development Environment) which allows
> programmers of several computer languages (you buy the specific program
> plug-ins separately) to use a visual (point and click) environment to
> develop
> software through its life cycle.
>
> Any chance there's a discussion group for Visual Studio? I don't see one
> listed.
>
> "Al Edlund" wrote:
>
>> Deb,
>> this the Visio community, not the VS community
>> VBA and VB.Net are different enough that in the MS documents they
>> sometimes
>> refer to it as being a 'new' language. Usually we think of VBA for
>> applications, VB(6) as the legacy visual basic, and VB.Net for those that
>> want to do something with the web. Discussion beyond this tends to get
>> 'religious' on which is better in what scenarios.
>> :-))
>> have a great one,
>> al
>> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, Mark; very helpful.
>> > Just want to clear up a few more points:
>> > (4) So Visual Basic.net is a newer version of VBA?
>> > and
>> > (5) Is The community group folder of this discussion group area of MS
>> > titled

0
edlund1 (616)
3/17/2005 2:38:35 AM
I have a more primitive question:
What file extension do I use to open ".bas" files from my old GW Basic? I
gather that I should visit VB.Net. Any other website?
Need urgent help to get that $25 million Global Warming Virgin Airways Al
Gore Prize and save Humanity from certain disaster.
Robert Wendell Kenney of Oak Lawn Illinois

"Al Edlund" wrote:

> try doing a search in newsgroups for vsnet or dotnet...
> al
> ps Lori, I warned it was religion.....
> al
>
> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Al; now I know that Visio and VS are not the same thing.
> >
> > But I couldn't leave it at that--in case some other new soul doesn't know
> > either,
> > Visio is described (from a Google search) as "Microsoft Visio 2002 is a
> > diagramming software that is used to create flowcharts, organization
> > charts,
> > network diagrams, database diagrams, ... "
> >
> > Visual Studio is an IDE (Individual Development Environment) which allows
> > programmers of several computer languages (you buy the specific program
> > plug-ins separately) to use a visual (point and click) environment to
> > develop
> > software through its life cycle.
> >
> > Any chance there's a discussion group for Visual Studio? I don't see one
> > listed.
> >
> > "Al Edlund" wrote:
> >
> >> Deb,
> >> this the Visio community, not the VS community
> >> VBA and VB.Net are different enough that in the MS documents they
> >> sometimes
> >> refer to it as being a 'new' language. Usually we think of VBA for
> >> applications, VB(6) as the legacy visual basic, and VB.Net for those that
> >> want to do something with the web. Discussion beyond this tends to get
> >> 'religious' on which is better in what scenarios.
> >> :-))
> >> have a great one,
> >> al
> >> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

you might check this out

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/default.aspx

al

"RobertWendellKenney" <RobertWendellKenney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:68B64648-B25E-4B0A-BCF4-D7E9C444214B@microsoft.com...
>I have a more primitive question:
> What file extension do I use to open ".bas" files from my old GW Basic? I
> gather that I should visit VB.Net. Any other website?
> Need urgent help to get that $25 million Global Warming Virgin Airways Al
> Gore Prize and save Humanity from certain disaster.
> Robert Wendell Kenney of Oak Lawn Illinois
>
> "Al Edlund" wrote:
>
>> try doing a search in newsgroups for vsnet or dotnet...
>> al
>> ps Lori, I warned it was religion.....
>> al
>>
>> "Deb Rutan" <dlr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Al; now I know that Visio and VS are not the same thing.
>> >
>> > But I couldn't leave it at that--in case some other new soul doesn't
>> > know
>> > either,
>> > Visio is described (from a Google search) as "Microsoft Visio 2002 is a
>> > diagramming software that is used to create flowcharts, organization
>> > charts,
>> > network diagrams, database diagrams, ... "
>> >
>> > Visual Studio is an IDE (Individual Development Environment) which
>> > allows
>> > programmers of several computer languages (you buy the specific program
>> > plug-ins separately) to use a visual (point and click) environment to
>> > develop
>> > software through its life cycle.
>> >
>> > Any chance there's a discussion group for Visual Studio? I don't see
>> > one
>> > listed.

0
edlund1 (616)

Manufacturing Standard Cost
Hello, We are running GP 8.0 SP 2 with Manufacturing. We have a standard cost revalution journal entry is there a way to find which standard cost changes make up this journal entry? Thanks for any help you can provide. -- Thanks, Brian ...

mpf vs. wmf HELP!!!
I post this in clip art already, but just in case... All of a sudden, when downloading clip art from online in pub, it started to download in a mpf instead of a wmf. Therefore it doesn't save it in clip art organizer and I can't use it. I had just downloaded a few under one category and it worked fine, then i searched a different category and it didn't work at all. I love my clip art. Please help. ..mpf files are what you use with Pub 2002. Older clipart was .cil files. Were you getting your art from Microsoft.com's site? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] &qu...

XL 2003 Trust Access to Visual Basic Project greyed out
I have just upgraded from Office XP to Office 2003. I have some programs that use Excel and require the Macro security level to be set to Low and the 'Trust Access to Visual Basic Project' option to be selected. After installing my security level was set to high. I was able to reset this back to low but the 'Trust Access to Visual Basic Project' option is greyed out, and some of my programs don't work properly. How do I enable this option in Excel 2003? TIA Phil. Hi all I am having the same problem..................... and i am tring to find out what has been the proble...

HIPAA Standards
Hello, Does Microsoft Dynamics CRM support HIPAA Standards for electronic transactions ? Take care, Dave Hi, MS CRM dont provide HIPAA built in functionality. Biztalk may provide it and MS CRM can be integrated with Biztalk. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan Email for direct contact: imumar at gmail dot com "Dave Banerjee" wrote: > Hello, > > Does Microsoft Dynamics CRM support HIPAA Standards for electronic > transactions ? > > Take care, > Dave > No, CRM does not provide any...

Running .application Via Citrix
All, If I create a hyperlink to my application on a page on my Intranet, and click the link to launch it when I am accessing my network via Citrix, it runs fine. (Mostly.) But my "Citrix Master" is unable to publish the app in a way that it will run as a "Published App" with an icon on the Citrix "landing page". It seems to publish fine, but when I try to run it, an error appears saying "The Citrix server is unable to process your request to start this published application. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your Administra...

class wizard in VS 2005
Hi, In VC++ 6.0, I can get the class wizard by hitting ctrl-C if I want to add an event handler (say a mouse down event) to a class (say a CView derived class). What should I do in VS 2005? I tried to review the document but didn't find one that introduces a 6.0 user about where they can find their old familiar features. Your help is much appreciated. JD "JD Young" <jdt_young@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:uumVDvkyHHA.4928@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > In VC++ 6.0, I can get the class wizard by hitting ctrl-C if I want to add > an e...

Tree control
Hi all- I am experiencing ... odd behavior with a tree control. Basically, I want to get the info for the item selected. It seems that when I call OnClick(), GetSelectedItem() returns the *last* thing clicked, whereas if I use OnLButtonUp(), I get the current item. These are the two functions in question (CMyTreeCtrl inherits from CTreeCtrl): void CMyTreeCtrl::OnClick(NMHDR* pNMHDR, LRESULT* pResult) { HTREEITEM hParentItem; hParentItem = GetSelectedItem(); CString strText; strText = GetItemText(hParentItem); TRACE("OC %s\n", strText); // will return the p...

Creating typed dataset from an industry standard schema
Has anyone run into problems creating typed datasets from complex schemas? I am attempting to create a Typed Dataset in Visual Studio .Net from a .xsd schema file for a industry standard web service. I have run the schema through XML Spy and validated it with no errors, but when attempting to generate a dataset, I keeping getting a 'undefined data type' error. The schema is quite large so I don't know if that is causing the problem or if it is just something odd about .Net's parser. Here is the section of the schema causing the problem. There are only two spots where the...

standard deviation
I am making a simple bar graph with two data sets that I want to compare. I want to have the error bars represent the SD rather than % or something else. All I can get it to do is put the same bars on both data sets, which is not correct. I have calculate the SD and know that it is not the same for both sets. Any help would be appreciated. Clem In both XL 2003 and XL 2007 it is possible to use a column of data fro your error bars (actually two columns: one for positive, another for negative) Have a look again in the dialog. If needed come back but tell us what version of E...

standards in visio
hi is there any standard for designing network in visio? thanks visio doesn't design networks it assists people in documenting them. no, there are no standards. al "kyan" <gheysar_k@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eHRQFIZPFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > hi > is there any standard for designing network in visio? > thanks > ...

Maximized vs minimized
I have a macro that copies data from disc drive A: and copies it to th current open spreadsheet. All works fine, except when it's done i minimizes the window. What code could I add to maximize the active window? Something like: ActiveWindow.WindowState = ???????? Thank You, Michae -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Michael Try, Application.WindowState = xlMaximized Cheers John "daniels012 >" <<daniels012.1b7dva@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:daniels012.1b7dva@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a macro that copies data from di...

Drag and drop of eMail to own application
Hi everybody, i like to drag and drop an eMail of Outlook ( Express & Xp ) and Thunderbird into my own application ( MFC ). There'in the dropped eMail should be readed and the subject, body text, Recepiant, ... should be displayed into textboxes. I can check the different formats of the Drag-Event or Clipboard data. An Outlook Express mail is stored in plaintext into the clipboard, so it's seriously possible to extract it. But with Outlook XP Mails i see only the name of a .eml file ( the of file which would be saved on the Destop for example ) But how to extract the data? Do...

Exchange Settings vs. OOA rules
It was mentioned in a different post that the Exchange Server is default set to not allow incoming emails to be forwarded outside the server. I am not familiar with Exchange Server... where can I find this setting to verify it? open the exchange server management console, find global settings and look on the internet message format - right click on the Default format, choose properties, then look on advanced tab. If you have more than one internet message format, check each one. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 ...

Desktop Application Data Access Layer
Hello C#.NET Forum, I have a desktop application, (very) near completion. The application is constructed in C# .NET 3.5 SP1, and the application files produced by the application are MS Access 2007 Database (with the extension changed to suit the application. The application file only consists of tables and relationships, specifically for the application's purposes. Generally there are two separate tiers for the data, a DataBroker which managers the OleDb functionality specifically for MS Access, and a more "strongly" Data Access Layer that utilises the data...

Why Micorosoft Money only have Standard in Canada? What is the different between Candian Standard Edition and the U.S.?
Hi, everyone; I live in Canada....... I wanting to get the Microsoft Money Deluxe or maybe Premium Edition... Because I do a little Stock Trading myself.. and wanted to use to Stock Trade Tracker... However, in Canada they only have the "Standard Canadian Edition".. Can't find any Deluxe or Premium up here.... The only way is I have to buy it through Ebay from someone down in the United States... What is the different between the Candian Standard Edition and the U.S. one anyway? ...

Standard reply
Is there a way of sending a standard reply to an email in outlook. With some email clients there is a reply with... option that allows you to reply to an email with a standard response. For example choosing to reply and adding the following text to the top of the email: Thank you for applying for the position but it is has already been filled. Outlook has stationary that allows you to setup templates for new messages but I can't find a way of doing this for a reply. You can use Wizard Rules for that. Post more info like version of Outlook and whether or not you're on an Exc...

Excel.exe
hi all, i have an application error in excel 97 Excel.exe - Application Error the refrenced memory could not be written when you try to save as or close the application. i tried to reinstall the application and changed the memory but problem still existing note that i cleaned the pc recently from nimda virus,please send the replies to my email. thanks alot for trying to help. ...

Standard C++ Library
is it true that Standard C++ Library is pretty much include functions similar to the following java packages??? java.io java.lang java.util http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ct1as7hw(VS.80).aspx It seem to me the Standard C++ Library have headers to mainipulate string / characters, doing I/O, and data structure like Stack, Queue, HashMap, Vector, time, bitwise operation, exception, iterator on a collection ... etc which pretty similar to above "very core" java package So there are 3 types of library / header in C++? CRT (C runtime library) Standard C++ Library Platform S...

Window not hidden using WinExec and SW_HIDE in Visual C++
I've got a simple Visual C++ program that will delete a temp file directory upon startup. However, when running, the box is NOT hidden. It sits there until the files are deleted. Shouldn't the SW_HIDE command hide the window, or is there a better way to do this simple command? Code below: WinExec("cmd /c rmdir c:\\temp /s/q", SW_HIDE); //For Windows 2K&XP WinExec("command.com /c deltree /Y c:\\", SW_HIDE); //For Win9x Thank You... Use SHFileOperation() API with wFunc = FO_DELETE instead of WinExec. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ---------------...

Converting from 2002 standard
Hi, I've problem when i try to convert my money file from the 2002 standard version, it keep on saying cannot open it due difference version. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA In microsoft.public.money, Sebastian wrote: > > >I've problem when i try to convert my money file from the >2002 standard version, it keep on saying cannot open it >due difference version. Money cannot open a version localized for another country. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;197668 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;178830 Get a later ve...

ADO vs DAO
I am using Access 2003. It is a relatively a fresh install; I haven’t changed much. Does Access 2003 use DAO or ADO? How can I find out? And how can I change it if I need to -- awsmitty awsmitty wrote: > I am using Access 2003. It is a relatively a fresh install; I haven’t > changed much. Does Access 2003 use DAO or ADO? How can I find out? And how > can I change it if I need to Basically you can use either or even both. Normally, I just use DAO 95% of the time because that's JET/ACE's "native" interface and thus is better optimized. 5% ...

Migrating off of SBS 2000 to Windows 2008 standard /Exchange 2010
We have outgrown the SBS environment and are moving to an environment with Windows 2008 std server running exchange 2010. What is the best/easiest way to get 2000SBS out of the way? As I understand it, I would bring in the 2008 server and configure as a member DC then seize the FSMO roles and then shut down the SBS 2000 server. Is that about it (excluding what I will have to do to migrate my exchange data - which I am assuming I will have to do BEFORE I seize the FSMO roles... What other gotcha'ya's might I expect?? Thanks, Brad ...

Reduce the virtual Memory used by application
Hi , I have several servers in (VC++) running on a windows XP having 1G of RAM. These servers does some polling to some of the devices/process requests from the client. But i always see a hardisk usage(the harddisk usage light is flickering).?. Why is this happening. Its showing the mem usage around 4 MB and virtual memory as some 5 MB or so..?Why does this happen. ?.Since i am having plenty of RAM, and i dont quite understand why the hardisk is being used. Is there any compilation option that i should use ? Appreciate ur inputs on this Thanks May be some applications are accessing disk f...

Detecting the active CDocument in an application?
How would I get a handle to the active CDocument in my application? I could go through all the documents in AfxGetApp()->m_pDocManager() but how would i know which one is the active document? p.s. I don't know if I'm on the right track. I just want a handle to the CRichEditView control of the active document to enable/disable an UNDO menu. Any better suggestions? :) Kourosh wrote: > How would I get a handle to the active CDocument in my application? > I could go through all the documents in AfxGetApp()->m_pDocManager() > but how would i know which one is the active do...

Moving from Standard/Eval. to Standard edition
Can anybody provide some assistance? I have the official media now; is it just a matter of installing a componet, do I adjust the license logging service? Looking for guidance. Thanks in advance. Is this right? run SETUP /ALL to allow for the reinstall of all components, and that's it? >-----Original Message----- >Can anybody provide some assistance? I have the official >media now; is it just a matter of installing a componet, >do I adjust the license logging service? > >Looking for guidance. Thanks in advance. >. > I'll answer my own question t...