I am trying to make a very simple State Chart Diagram in Visio.
I'm not sure if I should just use the basic flow chart or not, as I'm not
familar with UML.
I simply want to describe a software program that will move two one of four
"states" based on some conditions, then loop back around.

I am not opposed to just making a flow chart but was hoping to make it look
a little more "professional" using a State Diagram.

The examples seem rather complicated, I don't want to have to define
variables and all that using UML, I just want to show the four "states" or
"steps" of the program. In each step there will be some control and feedback,
and decisions made based on values on whether or not to move to the next
state...

Anyone have any samples?
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Use the Data Flow Diagram shapes.

John...    Visio MVP

Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm

"jeffscharpf" <jeffscharpf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to make a very simple State Chart Diagram in Visio.
> I'm not sure if I should just use the basic flow chart or not, as I'm not
> familar with UML.
> I simply want to describe a software program that will move two one of
> four
> "states" based on some conditions, then loop back around.
>
> I am not opposed to just making a flow chart but was hoping to make it
> look
> a little more "professional" using a State Diagram.
>
> The examples seem rather complicated, I don't want to have to define
> variables and all that using UML, I just want to show the four "states" or
> "steps" of the program. In each step there will be some control and
> feedback,
> and decisions made based on values on whether or not to move to the next
> state...
>
> Anyone have any samples?

0
lancucki (505)

how to create a chart of a sheet from a xsl file that is on a url
Hi. I would like to create a chart. The "problem" is that the file, that already is a XSL file is on a URL and i what the chart to be update from that file each time i open my xsl file. In other words, i have a file that each time i open is going to do an update on a chart based on data that is on a static URL. Thank you. ...

Simple graph
I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate. ZIP RATE 80001 2.34 80002 1.23 80003 1.23 I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number of times that rate occurs on the y axis. | | | * | | * |_________________________________ | | 1.23 2.34 Thank you. I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1) Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read COUNT Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say) In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2) Copy down the row Select H1:G20 and make a...

Macro to change position of chart labels on line chart
Hello all, I have quite a trickly problem to solve and I would appreciate any suggestions. I have a dashboard page in a worksheet which shows financial KPIs (i.e. sales) as forecast this year versus last year. There are a number of line charts on the dashboard showing the differing forecasts; the user of the dashboard can choose a business unit to view. What I would like to be able to do is to have the chart labels for these charts automatically change their aligmnent so that they display properly. I have set the chart labels to display "Above" for the new forecast and "Bel...

Simple help with implementing Outlook-like GUI
Hi All. I am an experienced unix programmer who sometimes has to do something in the windows world, and always has newbie-questions. Basically I want to write an application program that looks like outlook in that it has nice icons down the left hand side that choose the content of the main area in the right hand side. So I started the MFC App wizard, and got me a SDI program with a CLeftFrame (CTreeView) and a CMainFrame (CFrameWnd). Then I prepared the following snippet of code to draw the buttons: // Create a pushbutton CBitmapButton* pmyButton; pmyButton = new CB...

Simple Simple Simple
Just started Excel (again) and need to make an easy speadsheet fo calculating square inches. Column A: Height Column B: Legnth Column C: Total Tags per 16 x 24 Column D: Cost per tag Figures I know: each sheet cost me $9.98. each sheet is 16 x 24 inches What I want to do is enter the Height, enter the Length and have th total (sum) be entered into columns C and D. I can't believe I forgot how to enter formulas. Any help will b appreciated. Thank you, Crai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Craig, One Way, might be better ways but this'll work: List the colou...

Grouping Series Labels in a Pie Chart
Hi, I have a bank statement that looks a little like this: ATM - £10 POS - £30 ATM - £10 ATM - £10 POS - £20 is there any way to generate a pie chart that will automatically group series with the same name, in this case, producing a pie chart with a value of 30 for ATM and 50 for POS. When i try to do this in excel, it creates a chart with a different segment for each value. Thanks Richard. Hi, No the chart will not do it. You can use formula, SUMIF, to do it and then chart the data. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info &...

cash flow problem 2003
up until today i had no problems with my cash flow reports, but now when i try and view cash flow i get an error message that reads "please create at least one checking, savings, or cash account before you go to the cash flow forecsat" anyone know what the problem is? i have 11 diff accounts in my money file... thanks in advance for any replies. -rich Try running "msmoney -s" (no quotes) from the Start|Run menu. The next step is the salv utility. There is more about both of these in other NG posts, in the NG archives at http://groups.google.com, in the FAQ at htt...

Changing Data Series in a Chart from Bar to Line
Happy New Year everyone! I have a question regarding charts in MS Access. I am able to create a chart that uses both bars and lines to return data, however, I can not figure out how to specify which data series are returned as bars and which are returned as lines. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Chad ...

Importing Data and Creating Charts from Spreadsheet
Greetings - Sorry if the subject is not very explanitory, wasn't sure how to word it. Basically my issue is I am trying to create some different charts from a spreadsheet where there might be multiple rows for the same values that will go on the X axis. For example this spreadsheet might have the following Data: ABC Company $500 BCD Company $332 XYZ Company $500 XYZ Company $200 When that chart is created (company on x axis, amount on Y axis) it creates 4 different columns (one each for ABC Company and BCD Company and two for XYZ Company). What I would like it to do is to crea...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uknews.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Chart Help -How ?
Hi, I'm a newbie with Excel & I am struggling to make this work. It's work related. I'm simply trying to show sales figures in a Pie-chart based upon the following information: Alex Frankie w/c 13/3/06 Calls made 45 70 No. not interested 10 10 No. interested 1 8 No. of call backs 34 52 Appointments made 0 1 But I can't work out how I'm going to show the legends but also including the 2 staff members. I'm sure somebody out there will have a better resolution. Thanks -- conks ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Numbers instead of symbols on scatter chart
I know I can elect not to display the symbol, and elect to show the series name, and so could change the series name to a number, but this is impractical. Is there any way of using numbers instead of symbols on a scatter chart. Then, the legend would still show the series name, but instead of both the chart and the legend showing a symbol, they would show the series number. the simplest way is to make a text box with no fill and no line with the number you want in it. copy the text box, not the number in it goto the chart ans select the series and paste. The number will replace the s...

Simple Query Wizard hangs
I am using Access 2003 When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first screen - "What fields do you want in your query" When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following message: "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro&q...

Multiple Plot areas in one chart area
I have a multiple line chart that uses both vertical axises where the range changes regularly for each series. I set both axises to the desired setting so that one line (the one that used the left axis) is always on top of the other (right axis). But as soon as I change the source data, the lines go back to overlapping. Is there a way to have one line chart always be on top of the other so that they aren't touching regardless of ranges? I thought of having multiple plot areas within one chart but i didn't see any options for that. thanks in advance. Zac - You could use a macro t...

I Need a Simple Sales Software
Hello, I am looking for software to keep track of my prospects, customers, and the notes of the sales process. I spend about one hour a day on sales and marketing, so I prefer a simple and inexpensive software. Maximizer, Outlook, Act, and Goldmine seem made for the full-time professional salesperson. Please let me know if what I am looking for exists. Best Regards, T.I. ...

Visio 2000 SR-1???
Microsoft has decided to remove the Visio 2000 SR-1 service pack from their web site, and we can't run the SR-2 update unless we install the SR-1 update. Does anyone have this SR-1 update that can make it available for me to get? Remove the numbers from the reply address of this post for my email address. Regards, Austin Franklin Austion Many have asked the same question I will warn against loading Visio 2000 SP2 as it has an error in it that removes the ability to select which printer to print to, instead it ALWAYS prints to the Window default printer ... so if you want to output ...

Copy Data From Chart to Chart
I have to create separate charts for ten employees. I want to have all the data on one sheet tab. Create the chart on another tab for employee 1, format the chart the way I want and be able to add the data for employee 2, 3, 4, etc. to each tab, using the same format for chart 1 so they all match. So there should be one tab for raw data and 10 tabs for each employee. I’m using Excel 2000 Thank you ...

CommandbarCombo box change event not firing in VISIO
Hi I'm creating a Toolbar in Visio with CommandbarCombo box using VS 2003.The combobox should display the tooltip on change of each item in the list. I have handled changeevent but still event is not fired. Here is the code attached for the referecne: ******************************** CommandBar oStandardBar = null; private Hashtable hashTable = new Hashtable(); public static int iPrgId = 0; CommandBarComboBox cmbSecurityClass = null; Object oMissing = System.Reflection.Missing.Value; oStandardBar = (oVisio.ActiveDocument.Application.CommandBars as CommandBars).Add("IAMToolbar&q...

Can I create a chart using every fifth row of data?
I have a spreadsheet with 13,000 rows of data. I need to creat a chart using every 5th row in order to cut down the amount of data in my chart. Can I easily do this? I'm not sure of an easy way to do this, but if you hold the CTRL key and select evert fifth row and then the chart wizzard, it will only use those rows. However, with 13,000 rows of data that means clicking 2,600 times. "Adair72" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with 13,000 rows of data. I need to creat a chart using > every 5th row in order to cut down the amount of data in my chart. Can I > eas...

Simple public folder permission problem
I have a public task list folder. However even though I have given everyone "Author" priviledges and full control of the directory, users cannot update the tasks (although they can create new ones). The changes to tasks get reset to their original values. Where should I look to fix this problem? Brian How did you grant Author Access, via Outlook or ESM? What do you meanyou gave them full control of the directory? "Brian Taylor" <taylorb@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:e2hwumGrEHA.1160@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a public task list folder. Ho...

Point Labeling and Chart Plotting help needed
Well, i'm currently crunching in data for a topgraphic map that is du tommorow I've plotted points on a 2-d X-Y Scatter graph, and I want the graph t label each point with its associated elevation (z value that has column of its own), so it'll be easier for me to draw the contour lines later on. So... Does anybody know how to label a point ?? Secondly, I want the graph to plot the graph such that the grid lin spacing is 5cm... how do I do this?? Lastly, is it possible to draw in contour lines with excel??? Any advice, tips, and/or solutions will be appreciated!! Thanks -- Me...

Find text in embedded Visio diagrams within a Word document.
I am using Word 2003 and Visio 2003 Professional running on 32-bit Windows XP Professional SP2 + other patches. I have several Visio diagrams embedded within a Word document. The diagrams contain data names that I also refer to within the main Word document text. Sometimes I have to change a data name, e.g. from "myData1" to "myBigData26". I can use the Word find/replace to globally change the text within the Word document but it does not change the text within the Visio diagrams. I am OK with that but I would like to be able to say to Word "in all embed...

Column chart Excel 2003
I know that you can paste a picture (e.g. a picture of a pen) into the Column of a Column chart by either simply copying/pasting the picture or as a fill effect-picture... The problem I have is that I have a fill effect for the whole chart area, let's say blue. Now when I replace the columns with my picture there are white background behind each of the pictures which I would like to be transparent. I tried every possible way but can't get rid of it. I know it works as I have a file here which proves it is possible but don't know how. However, when I paste the picture into P...

How can I flow a music score over 2 pages in Publisher?
Our church secretary needs to paste in music from another source over 2 pages in Publisher. It's no problem to flow text, but how do you flow graphics? You can't. You will have to split the graphic into pieces. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Barb Andersen" <Barb Andersen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69B6964B-FDE3-409E-B8F8-3AB89DE4C52D@microsoft.com... > Our church secretary needs to paste in music from another source over 2 > pages > in Publisher. It's no problem to flow text, but how do you flow graphics? Barb...

Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things
I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution! An example is how to produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the X axis. This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's ea...