Shape/Symbol editing

Drawing flowcharts.  Rather than adding "Yes" and "No" to every decision
symbol to show which line out is which, I want to add six new symbols, each
with the output pre labeled.  The first should have the bottom exit labeled
Yes and the right exit labeled No. I won't list the other five permutations.

When I draw them and add the text and save the symbol/shape, the center no
longer lines up and the symbol/shape will not change size to accomodate the
text I enter within it.

What is the difference between a symbol and a shape?
This is Visio 2003 SP1

Thanks for your time.
0
bkelly (1)
11/14/2006 4:09:01 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I don't quite follow everything you describe, but I assume that you are
using a group to add multiple text labels to your decision shape.  Even if
you didn't explicitly group the parts together, Visio creates a group for
you when creating the master shape.  The group's size is determined by a
rectangular envelope tightly encompassing all the shapes.  If you have text
below the symbol, the symbol will not be positioned in the center of the
group.  This could explain the alignment issues.

Try this approach instead.  Draw your geometry.  Then select that shape and
choose Shape > Grouping > Convert to Group.  Then open the group's
Shapesheet using Window > Show Shapesheet.  Find the Protection section and
set LockCalcWH to 1.  This will prevent subsequent grouping operations from
changing the overall size of the group.  Now add your text labels.  Select
the group, then Shift+Click to selet the text labels.  Choose Shape >
Grouping > Add to Group.  The result is a group shape with text extending
beyond the group boundaries.  This shape should align much better within the
flowchart.

--
Mark Nelson
Office Graphics - Visio

"bkelly" <bkelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Drawing flowcharts.  Rather than adding "Yes" and "No" to every decision
> symbol to show which line out is which, I want to add six new symbols,
> each
> with the output pre labeled.  The first should have the bottom exit
> labeled
> Yes and the right exit labeled No. I won't list the other five
> permutations.
>
> When I draw them and add the text and save the symbol/shape, the center no
> longer lines up and the symbol/shape will not change size to accomodate
> the
> text I enter within it.
>
> What is the difference between a symbol and a shape?
> This is Visio 2003 SP1
>

> Thanks for your time.

0
marknel (439)

Shape inside a shape
I know its gonna sound weird but i have an extense network and we have various networks inside the buildings what i want to do its put make a diagram for my main network and then when double-clicking or doing something the subnetwork pops up or double clicking shows in a side the sub network ; and is there an tooltexttip option for shapes?? Thanks. the usual advice is to have a page for your highlevel view and separate pages for your detailed views, using hyperlinks or off page connectors to move around. The tooltip/comments is documented in the help facilites on how to add them to th...

Spinning Wait Cursor on Editing Word Documents
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Over the past few days in nearly all of my documents, when I begin editing old documents, or editing new documents, I get the Spinning Wait Cursor which lasts indefinitely (5min+). I have run through Disk and Permission Verifies and repairs and the problem persists. <br><br>Recommendations? Make sure that both Office & OS X are fully updated. It's pointless to chase symptoms if all updates haven't been done. You may also be experiencing a font conflict -- quite prevalent with Sno...

formula edit bar
all of the sudden my formula edit bar is gone. Does anyone know what I can do to restore?? Check it under view>formula bar -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Scot" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00ed01c3d938$2d291950$a401280a@phx.gbl... > all of the sudden my formula edit bar is gone. Does > anyone know what I can do to restore?? Thank you. Duh, how could I miss that! Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >Check it under view>formula bar > >-- > >Regards, > >Peo Sjoblom > > >"Scot" <anonymous...

Linking from shape to shapes in Visio
I can link from shape to shape in Visio and these work fine but when I 'save as Web Page' these links don't work. Any ideas!!!!!!!! On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:24:05 -0700, Dave R <Dave R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I can link from shape to shape in Visio and these work fine but when I 'save >as Web Page' these links don't work. Any ideas!!!!!!!! Web pages don't have that degree of granularity for destinations, there is just the page destination or the name destination, there is no mechanism to link to a part of an image. -- Regards, Paul Herb...

Where can I edit the Convert Lead (Status) List?
Does anyone know where I can edit the Convert Lead list? Specifically the Status list? Thanks You change this by editing the Lead object and the modifying the Status Reason attribute. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "circulent" <circulent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE260C3D-E714-4A07-9477-AB2E3B548D0F@microsoft.com... Does anyone know where I can edit the Convert Lead list? Specifically the Status list? Thanks No, that's not it. Let me decribe the location again: 1. After opening a Lead, click 'Convert Lead' 2. Select the '...

How can I change dollar sybbol to euro symbol?
If data is numeric then use Format Cells and choose a format with a Euro symbol, or if text just do an Edit / Replace. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- "zwerver" <zwerver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1821DD41-E29A-4034-9A2E-9DCB5AB6B4BD@micros...

Create shape, name shape, add text to shape
Hi, I decided to burst as many brain cells as I can working with shapes. Its working. ;) I am trying to add "Oval" shapes (msoShapeOval) tn image on a worksheet, the problem I am having difficulties with is naming the shape or renaming the shape as it is created. I want to start with "Oval 1" for the First shape and continu counting, Oval 2, Oval 3, etc. What I get is what seems to be a random starting shape name such as "Oval 6" when there are no shapes other than a picture shape on the sheet or in the entire workbook. Lets say It started with &qu...

How can I use XML in Excel 2003 Student edition?
Hi AFAIK you can't as this feature is not available in this version -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jim22" <jim22@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:400833B7-601B-48F0-85AC-49A165CBEF8F@microsoft.com... > ...

Why do certain shapes don't fall into place in an org chart?
Hello, Using XP, Visio 2003. In an org chart, using the Org Chart stencil, why is it that certain shapes do not fall into place? For example, I've created an org chart with one executive, 3 managers, etc. and when I drag an assistant shape onto one of the managers, it goes right in the middle, on top of any shape that's there. Thanks! Helene ...

How to get additional symbols
How or Where can I download additional symbols?? On the "insert Symbols" menu I have a fairly wide selection of alphabet letters and a few symbols. My partner has MS Works and has many more useful symbols than I have with Word 2003. I want to insert bold arrows, like then kind he has on Works. How or Where can I download additional symbols?? -- Jody The "symbols" are in the fonts that came with Windows and Word or Office. There's a Unicode range called "Arrows," but none of those are what I'd call bold; did you try the Wingdings font?...

Euro symbol in queries
I have an Access front end to a SQL Server 2005 database using ODBC linked tables. There appears to be a problem when using the euro symbol in queries. SELECT * FROM tbl_Datatable WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='?40'; (the ? should be a euro symbol Alt+0128. it appears that even just posting causes the same problem) This query returns nothing although there are many entries with a strPRICE of '?40' SELECT * FROM tbl_Datatable WHERE (tbl_Datatable.strPRICE)='$40'; This query returns all with a strPRICE of '$40' How do I use the symbol in queries? Rega...

Edit colour of one gridline in a 3D chart
How can one gridline be edited to change colour in ad 3d bar chart. Thanks in advance for your help. Hi, You can not colour individual grid lines in either 2d or 3d charts. With 2d charts you have the ability to add a dummy series to represent a grid line. For examples of this technique see, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy ju1eshart wrote: > How can one gridline be edited to change colour in ad 3d bar chart. Thanks in > advance for your hel...

Unable to edit textbox after importing text
I am having trouble being able to edit text in a textbox after I import text from a csv file. The trouble is that I can't edit the textbox text at all. I can't cut, copy, or paste anything. I am using Visual C# 2010. Has anyone else come across this? "Steve" <sithius92@gmail.com> wrote in message news:04ca0534-1453-4805-beeb-47d53a7bbac3@w31g2000yqk.googlegroups.com... >I am having trouble being able to edit text in a textbox after I > import text from a csv file. The trouble is that I can't edit the > textbox text at all. I can't cut,...

Shape properties
I have created a drawing of our server racks. I have also gone into the custom properties of the shapes as they are laid out in the racks and I have entered the server names, serial numbers, BIOS versions, etc. of each shape and I want to display it in a table on a master list sheet. How do I do this? I know the data is usable, I just don't know how to effectively display it. Thanks Have you considered starting with Tools => Reports => New??? Al "Mark Hauschild" <mark.hauschild@remove.acc.af.mil> wrote in message news:O40OwRkfEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... &...

Default shape text size
Is it possible to change the default shape text size before starting a flow chart or organisation chart? Also, is it possible to autofit the shape to accommodate the entered text. Both of these are possible in Igrafx Flowcharter. I can't answer that question, but I am looking for someone who can help me convert an old .abc file to visio. I no longer have a copy of ABC Flowcharter so i cannot update the file to a .af3 format that visio can import. any ideas? -- Texan "mhall@insightconsult.co.uk" wrote: > Is it possible to change the default shape text size before s...

How to edit a post in outlook 2007?
I used to create a post with Ctrl,Shift,S, and then I can edit it any time I like. After upgarding to 2007, I found post can be created, but can only be editted when creating it. When trying to add something new in my old post, I can only select but edit. Is this a new feature of OL 2007. If so, is there is any option I can configure to disable this? Open the Post then click on Other Actions then Revise Contents. -- Bill R MVP "Shawn" <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2C3D961-EF14-4685-9204-143978166A0A@microsoft.com... >I used to create a p...

Formula result not displaying after editing VLOOKUP syntax

Edit MO Status button should be active in List view with no record
List views and Action Panes in GP10 are terrific! It seems that the "Edit MO Status" button should be active in List view when no records are selected. Since the purpose of the called program is to change status on multiple records at once, why not allow it to be added to the Action Pane as active even without selecting a specific record? Thank you. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the b...

Hyperlink Cell to Shape on seperate worksheets
I am struggling with this. Here is my attempt to generate hyperlinks from a Cell (Sheet1) to a Shape (Sheet5). [code] Option Explicit Dim wksData As Worksheet Dim wksShps As Worksheet Dim Shp As Shape Dim rLook As Range Dim rFind As Range Dim shtCell Dim shtRange Dim shtLastRow Dim sBalloon As String Sub NumberToBalloon() 'Contributing author: shg 'create hyperlink from column D bubble number (sheet1) to balloon shape (sheet5) _ by text value 'Reverse of macro BalloonToNumber (author: shg) Sheets(1).Activate Sheets(1).Hyperlinks.Delete For Each shtC...

pi symbol as a chart label
Colleagues, Am i able to insert the Pi symbol in to an excel worksheet and use it in a chart Xaxis labels eg: pi/2,pi,3pi/2,2pi. If so what are the keystrokes please. thank you tyrone patterson pi can be displayed by typing lower-case "p" in Symbol font. -- Richard J. (to e-mail me, swap uk and yon in address) Tyrone Patterson wrote: > Colleagues, > > Am i able to insert the Pi symbol in to an excel worksheet > and use it in a chart Xaxis labels eg: pi/2,pi,3pi/2,2pi. > > If so what are the keystrokes please. > > thank you > > tyrone patterso...

foreign stock symbol
Does anyone know if i can add foreign stock symbol into MS Money 2005? I have a stock symbol from the hong kong stock exchange that I would like to keep track of, but Money cannot recognize the symbol so that the prices can be updated automatically... thanks, The HK exchange is not on the list of those available for automatic downloads, so you'll need to update this one manually. You can add symbols from different countries, but those are Belgium, Japan, US, Great Britain, France, Spain, Canada, Germany, Italy, Australia, Sweden, and The Netherlands -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MV...

Help needed editing a script
hi there I using using this script to hide rows which working fine. I would like add to it to hide Entire row PLUS every row below it upto 1197. how can I achieve that?? Thanks in advance Sub HURows() BeginRow = 2 EndRow = 1197 ChkCol = 1 For RowCnt = BeginRow To EndRow If Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol).Value = "hide" Then Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol).EntireRow.Hidden = True Else Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol).EntireRow.Hidden = False End If Next RowCnt End Sub Hi, Is this what you mean Sub HURows() Dim ...

Problem Deleting A Range of shapes
Hi! I have a little problem with a part of a code. At first i use the following code to copy paste a rectangle to a range. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Sub Test() Dim Rng As Range Dim c As Range Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws = Worksheets("Result") Set Rng = ws.Range("A3:A" & ws.Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row) Application.ScreenUpdating = False ws.Shapes("Rectangle 51").Copy For Each c In Rng c.Select ws.Paste Next c ws.Range("A1").Select Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub -------------------------...

XML Editing,inserting and deleting Question
I have a XML file which is formed ! And its used with a treeView menu control. But the thing is that the TREEVIEW hasn't got a constant hieracrchy structure! which is difficult to Edit,insert or update! Whats the best way to provide such functionality for a XML that isn't well structured! My xml looks like this:- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <TREENODES> <TreeNode Text="Contract"> <TreeNode Text="Test" NavigateUrl="a.aspx" target="_blank"/> <TreeNode Text="" Navigat...