Reverse engineering

I have to document an Access 97 that has grown like wild blackberries.
The database's creator has left us no documentation at all and I would like
Visio to extract as much information as possible.

So far I have extracted a good UML of the tables.

Currently I am doing screen dumps of the forms to show what the screens look
like - then pasting them into Visio.

What else can I do?

Can I extract the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules also - and
save and print these out from Visio?

Please advise.

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

As I remember there was a "database documenter" with Access. I don't
remember what version it came in at but it dumped all of it to a (I believe)
a Word doc.
Al

"Tuesday" <Tuesday @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have to document an Access 97 that has grown like wild blackberries.
> The database's creator has left us no documentation at all and I would
> like
> Visio to extract as much information as possible.
>
> So far I have extracted a good UML of the tables.
>
> Currently I am doing screen dumps of the forms to show what the screens
> look
> like - then pasting them into Visio.
>
> What else can I do?
>
> Can I extract the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules also - and
> save and print these out from Visio?
>
> Please advise.

0
edlund1 (616)
4/5/2005 3:29:15 PM
Thanks Al,

I have been testing the Access Documenter more since your suggestion.

Initially I was overwhelemed by its detail and lack of friendly graphical
interface.

Now I am using documenter to produce output for most items.

If  the output (say one screen) can be neatly copied to Visio on one page -
then I need look no further.

For longer output, I intially do a one-page screen dump and copy to a new
page in Visio - just to give the output a place in my Visio file - but I also
save the documenter information as a Rich Text Format file which I will also
refer to.

Thank you,

Tuesday

"Al Edlund" wrote:

> As I remember there was a "database documenter" with Access. I don't
> remember what version it came in at but it dumped all of it to a (I believe)
> a Word doc.
> Al
>
> "Tuesday" <Tuesday @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have to document an Access 97 that has grown like wild blackberries.
> > The database's creator has left us no documentation at all and I would
> > like
> > Visio to extract as much information as possible.
> >
> > So far I have extracted a good UML of the tables.
> >
> > Currently I am doing screen dumps of the forms to show what the screens
> > look
> > like - then pasting them into Visio.
> >
> > What else can I do?
> >
> > Can I extract the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules also - and
> > save and print these out from Visio?
> >
> > Please advise.

0
Tuesday (1)

Dual boot in reverse
Hello, I have dual boot system: driveC --> WinXP driveD --->Vista Now, I do not need WinXP anymore. I want to have only Vista and combine C & D into one, single partition. How to do that without reinstalling Vista? Your thoughts appreciated, Claire On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:00:12 -0500, "Claire" <replyto@fra> wrote: >Hello, > I have dual boot system: >driveC --> WinXP >driveD --->Vista >Now, I do not need WinXP anymore. >I want to have only Vista and combine C & D into one, single partition. &...

REVERSING TEXT
HOW CAN I REVERSE TEXT AND PICTURES ON PUBLISHER TO PRINT ONTO T.SHIRTS spike <spike@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > HOW CAN I REVERSE TEXT AND PICTURES ON PUBLISHER TO PRINT ONTO > T.SHIRTS YES. PLEASE READ REPLY TO YOUR FIRST POST. Please do not talk in all caps. It is considered shouting and makes your post difficult to read and is rude. Your first message ("how do i reversie pictures and text for printing to t.shirts") is directly below this one and has been answered by yours truly. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Formulas reversed
Using Office 2007 and windows XP. The back slash has become "multiply" and the star has become "divide". In other words, these two symbols are reversed. Have no idea how this happened. How can it be reversed back to normal? thanks. Please give an example of formula, values of input cells and result of formula -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C56D666E-70CD-4E8F-97F9-1FAD9CE92024@microsoft.com... > Using Office 2007 and windows XP. The back slas...

Reverse engineering
I have to document an Access 97 that has grown like wild blackberries. The database's creator has left us no documentation at all and I would like Visio to extract as much information as possible. So far I have extracted a good UML of the tables. Currently I am doing screen dumps of the forms to show what the screens look like - then pasting them into Visio. What else can I do? Can I extract the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules also - and save and print these out from Visio? Please advise. As I remember there was a "database documenter" with Access. I don...

Reverse arrow for hyperlinks

Possible to reverse a row of entries?
Is there a command or format command that will let me take a row of entries and reverse them? In other words if I have rows #1 through #10 top to bottom, I now want them to go #10 to #1 top to bottom. thanks Rick Hi in B1 enter =OFFET($A$10,-(ROW()-1),0) and copy down for ten rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany rs wrote: > Is there a command or format command that will let me take a row of > entries and reverse them? In other words if I have rows #1 through > #10 top to bottom, I now want them to go #10 to #1 top to bottom. > > thanks > > Rick Ric...

Can I reverse the order of data in a set of cells?
I have a column of cells filed with data. I know I can transpose the data 90 degrees, but is there a way to cut or copy the data in the cells and paste it so the values are in the opposite order, i.e. a 180 degree difference? Thanks to anyone who can help. I am using Excel 2003. One way, insert a new column or use an existing, number it from 1 - n (where n is the last index value you want to reverse the order of, so if your column is 100 rows number the help column 1, 2, 3 - 100) select both columns and sort descending on the help column -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "salwitt"...

Reversal encryption
Hello, I need a good algorithm for encrypting some vital information about my app in an INI file. I have a class for MD5, but it's not reversible. I'd like to use a private or public key to decrypt the text. By the way, what's the difference between private and public key when we talk about encryption? Sugestions, please? I have googled about the public key encryption and found that CryptoAPI is used frequently. Is this API part of the Windows? If not, what I need to use it? "Jeova Almeida" <jeovaalmeida@yahoo.com> escreveu na mensagem news:e1uwDhuTJHA...

Reverse List?
Greetings! What's happening with the reverse list as of late? It seems like it's not updating anymore since the contacts that I add are never displayed. I have tested this by using my primary account to add my secondary account and then accepting the invitation on the secondary account, my secondary account (target) could see my primary account (source) in the list, but my primary account could not see my secondary account, and both had each other in their contact lists. Thanks in advance; -- jps Greetings jps, I have no real fix for you, but I can confirm...

Customer EFT Reversal
In GP 10, we're getting ready to start using Electronic Funds Transfer in our Receivables area, i.e, we're going to take our customers' payments directly from their bank accounts. If there's a problem where we take a customer's money in error, how do we put it back into their back account using EFT? Thanks! Mary Fetsch ...

How do I add shapes to Process Engineering Component Explorer?
I'm using Visio 2003. Is there a way that I can use the "component explorer" and "connectivity explorer" from the Process Engineering stencil with my own shapes? What shapesheet attribute makes a shape appear on this explorer? Thanks. The Process Engineering menu has a Shape Conversion command that should enable this. You just need to assign a category. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Barney" <peter.barnfield@gmail.com> wrote in...

How do I reverse this?
Somehow I've managed to turn off the automatic capitalisation at the start of a new sentence only. It was working fine until I accidentally clicked something with my mouse and now the feature has gone!! This is really annoying. I've done the Tools-Options-Spelling thing, though, and everything seems to be the same as it was before!! Any ideas??? Thanks, Pip "Pip" <Pip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A807C07E-502F-4D82-ACD8-FAFE2917EB3D@microsoft.com... > Somehow I've managed to turn off the automatic capitalisation at the > start ...

Reverse of export to database
Ave, I would like to generate a Visio drawing starting from an Access database which contains the results of an 'export to database' of an existing drawing. I found import possibilities from Excel, csv, txt files, but not from databases. I'm using Visio 2002 Professional. Greetings, Are you trying to import the data from the database tables or the database schema? If it is the database schema, run the Database modeling template (File \ New \ Database \ Database model diagram) If you want to get the data, try the "Link to Database" dialog (Tools \ Macros \ Visio Extras...

My printer is printing in reverse. How do i turn it off?
I have tried - properties, advanced, mirror image off. It works once and then goes back to mirror image. How do I turn it off permenantly? Please Change the printer Properties from Start | Settings | Printers and Faxes. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "lindylou2" <lindylou2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B714C97-D395-49DC-87BC-67184A8A4736@microsoft.com... >I have tried - properties, advanced, mirror image off. It works once and > then goes back to mirror image...

reverse a CArray
Just started using CList and CArray and I'm trying to reverse the order of a CArray with the code below. It appears to have no effect and I don't see why... Any clues? <code> CArray<CString, CString&> tmp; tmp.Add(CString("1")); tmp.Add(CString("2")); tmp.Add(CString("3")); int count = tmp.GetCount(); for(int i = 0; i < count; i++) { OutputDebugString(tmp[i]); OutputDebugString("\n"); } for(int i = 0; i < count; i++) { ...

CListView icons in *reverse* order with XP commctrl 6??? #2
hi there i have a CListView derived window in my app, which i have set to Icon Mode, and i sort my items alphabetically now it all works fine, except when i include the manifest for using the XP commctrl6 lib, this listview displays the icons in *revrese* alphabetical order, and, now this is the crazy bit, they are displayed from the bottom up!!!! ie, if without the manifest they are displayed as: iconA iconB iconC iconD iconE iconF iconG then they are displayed with the manifest as: iconG iconD iconE iconF iconA iconB iconC *and*, they are placed from the *bottom* of the view window u...

Reverse Worksheet
Somehow I have reversed my worksheets? the A1 cell is in the Top-Right corner. How do I get it back to the Top-Left corner? Hi John tools / options / international - choose left to right under default direction Cheers julieD "John Wolfe" <John Wolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DEAD5A71-C86B-4869-866D-E2AD513C9A20@microsoft.com... > Somehow I have reversed my worksheets? the A1 cell is in the Top-Right > corner. How do I get it back to the Top-Left corner? ...

reverse lookup for my exchange server..............
I am using Exchange 2003 (name riley) on win 2003 AD domain controller. When I setup my AD, I used abc.com as my domain name. I figured it not a problem since I am only using it locally. I can send and receive e-mails with no problem. Now, since many are using reverse lookup to filter out spam e-mail, I am in trouble. When you do an nslookup for my exchange server from your server, it comes up as riley.abc.com with an IP address that belongs to abc.com (which is another website that does not belong to us). E-mails are being rejected by those who use reverse lookup because it does not match. ...

Can I fix the exponent in scientific/engineering format?
This is sort of a continuation of my search to find a ppm number forma (http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=368806). Found someone who mentioned using engineering formats (kind of a extension of scientific format). After a little tinkering, here's wha I've found (using the values of 7E-3 and 7=-5 as examples): format 7e-3 displayed 7e-5 displayed .0E+0 .7E-2 .7E-4 0.0E+0 7.0E-3 7.0E-5 (REGULAR SCIENTIFIC NOTATION) #0.0E+0 70.0E-4 70.0E-6 (EXPONENTS ARE MULTIPLES OF 2) ##0.0E+0 7.0E-3 70.0E-6 (EXPONENTS ARE...

Reversing chart
http://www.dbconsult.dk/ms/diagram.jpg shows a diagram and its data. The A-columnt holds the months for the label at x-axis. (5th month and 6 months backward). The D-column (g/kWh) holds the actual data for the diagram. This part is fine. However, it is more intuitive to have the oldest month shown first (most left) in the diagram. So that the diagram from left to right shows the months 12 to 5, showing past to present. Is it possible to have the data shown as they are, but have the chart to reverse the months? Regards /Snedker -- http://www.dbconsult.dk http://www.vinthervej2.dk [privat...

reverse list
For some time now the reverse list isn't updated. Many people experience this. Strange thing is, there is no answer at all about a fix. I wrote several mails to windows live support and got no answer. Why is microsoft being so mysterious about this problem? Can we expect a fix for the current version or do we have to wait for the new version? Greetings Ben, I do believe it's a server-side problem. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com Messenger Resources: http://messe...

MS JET database engine error: workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user
Hi, I am trying to import a spreadsheet into MS SQL 2000 via a DTS packaget using Microsoft JET database engine, but it gives me an error saying " Workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user" This error only exists if i use an MS SQL login with a password but it works fine with a login without a password. My question is, is there a way around this with a login that has a password? Thanks ...

Why are my columns and rows reversed when I open Excel
When I open my Excel spreadsheet the columns, rows and scroll bars are reversed?? What's happened? Tools|options|International Tab Uncheck that "view current sheet right-to-left" Deb Web wrote: > > When I open my Excel spreadsheet the columns, rows and scroll bars are > reversed?? What's happened? -- Dave Peterson ...

Print Engine Error at Crystal Reports in 1.2
Hello! When I run some of my crystal reports, I get the error "Print Engine Error". Can you advice? Thanks, Elena once had a similar error and frustration; eventually traced it to MSDE prerequisites:- You must have the network component File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed and enabled on your PC Then check the Server service is started on your PC These may have been disabled manually or through group policy Hope this helps! All about Microsoft CRM 3.0- read http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com "Elena" wrote: > Hello! > > Whe...

Reverse Find and Replace ?
Hi, I'm wanting to Reverse find and replace a particular character in a Powershell string. e.g. reverse find "b" in "abcabc" and replace with "d" to give "abcadc". Could someone please advise how this could be achieved ? Thanks, Patrick Sorry - also should have stated that just the first instance of a particular character should be replaced. On Jan 8, 11:23=A0am, Patrick <prynh...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I'm wanting to Reverse find and replace a particular character in a > Powershell string. =A0e.g. r...