Linking Visio 2003 Professional to Access 2003 Professional

I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now
cannot find the site.

So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and
field.  Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we
have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc.  What I want to
do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure
diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes.  I also
want it to display the various information about each item (serial
number, asset number, name, type, etc.).

Any help would be appreciated.

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

you might checkout the database wizard in the visio help facility for a start.
al

"tashnicole@gmail.com" wrote:

> I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now
> cannot find the site.
>
> So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and
> field.  Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we
> have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc.  What I want to
> do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure
> diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes.  I also
> want it to display the various information about each item (serial
> number, asset number, name, type, etc.).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

0
AlEdlund (23)
8/13/2007 4:20:05 PM
So I got everything linked thanks to the callouts.

Now here's my problem.  I want to think one shape (not sure if it can
be done) to multiple tables.  When I go through the wizard it only
lets me select one and when I try to make a query it just makes
everything turn into a big mess.  Not good.

Also, I want to have a button, like Access, where I can circulate
through records in the database.

lastly, how can I get it to create the diagram like you can with the
space planner?  So if I add a server in the database, one more will
pop up in the diagram.

Thanks for all the help.

On Aug 13, 11:20 am, Al Edlund <AlEdl...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> you might checkout the database wizard in the visio help facility for a start.
> al
>

> "tashnic...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now
> > cannot find the site.
>
> > So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and
> > field.  Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we
> > have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc.  What I want to
> > do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure
> > diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes.  I also
> > want it to display the various information about each item (serial
> > number, asset number, name, type, etc.).
>
> > Any help would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

The linking of a single shape to multiple tables is not one of the functions
of the database wizard. It can be done using v2007 Professional.
Cycling through records like access would require custome code.
space planner is a custom application (add-in) that provides that
roundtripping, it sounds like you might need to write something like that as
well.
al
<tashnicole@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So I got everything linked thanks to the callouts.
>
> Now here's my problem.  I want to think one shape (not sure if it can
> be done) to multiple tables.  When I go through the wizard it only
> lets me select one and when I try to make a query it just makes
> everything turn into a big mess.  Not good.
>
> Also, I want to have a button, like Access, where I can circulate
> through records in the database.
>
> lastly, how can I get it to create the diagram like you can with the
> space planner?  So if I add a server in the database, one more will
> pop up in the diagram.
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> On Aug 13, 11:20 am, Al Edlund <AlEdl...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>> you might checkout the database wizard in the visio help facility for a
>> start.
>> al
>>

>> "tashnic...@gmail.com" wrote:
>> > I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now
>> > cannot find the site.
>>
>> > So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and
>> > field.  Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we
>> > have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc.  What I want to
>> > do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure
>> > diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes.  I also
>> > want it to display the various information about each item (serial
>> > number, asset number, name, type, etc.).
>>
>> > Any help would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

edlund1 (616)

Access query to get monthly and quarterly report
Hi, I will require 5 tabs in the report. All reports should be able to use the same result set, but not all columns will appear in each report. They will just present the data differently. for example: if month falls with in the start and end date should show yes otherwise No. Immediate help will be appreciated.. thank you in advance Startdate Enddate Nov-09 Jan-10 Jun-12 Dec-12 12/11/09 6/30/2012 Yes Yes Yes No Startdate Enddate Q3-09 Q4-09 Q2-12 Q4-12 12/11/09 6/30/2012 No Yes Yes No Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of C...

Printing Color-Coded Worksheet in Black & White Mode in Excel 2003
I work with farily complex Excel worksheets which require print outs as both hard copy and PDF. I normally keep the formatting as they are and select [Black and White] in [Page Setup] [Sheet], as this preserves the integrity of the financial model while printing out a clean copy for the enduser. However, this function basically converts everyting color-coded to black & white, including cell shading patterns; I normally accentuate certain important cells by shading them in black and using a white font color. While I want the output to be black & white, I do want to preserve this p...

Outlook 2003 HTML emails
Hi, I am using Outlook 2003 under WinXP SP3 with all updates installed. Quite often I receive HTML emails that has one of more solid lines to the left of the text and/or pictures in the body of the message. I suspect that these lines are the HTML equivalent of > found in forwarded plain text messages. Can anyone suggest how I can clean up the email by deleting the solid line(s) before forwarding the message on to other recipients? -- Cheers . . . JC In article <3n7o451ierhkjb2dltgturi1bu6m5fh94l@4ax.com>, jc@invalid.net says... > Hi, > > I am using Outlook 2003 unde...

Migration Wizard in Exchange 2003
Hello, I am migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 using the Inter-Organization Migration Method utilizing the Migration Wizard. I understand that the Migration Wizard migrates the Exchange Directory and Mailbox Data to Exchange 2003. How can I prevent it from migration the directory and migrate only the mailbox data (just like exmerge)? What I am noticing, the migrated user ends up with several e-mail address of various type which is coming from 5.5. I don't want that junk in my new Exchange 2003 environment specially when they are worthless because they don't exist. When I cre...

InvalidCastException in outlook 2003
Hi In my VB.net application i got on different times (and not allways) an System.InvalidCastException. The line of code is: objAppointmentItem = objItems.GetFirst Does anyone know what to do??? Peter Are you testing first for any items in the collection? Are you sure that all the items you are getting are really AppointmentItem? -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "Peter van der Veen" <...

Exchange 2003 doesnt send email while logged on
When im logged onto the server using RDP or from the server console itself all of my SMTP outbound smtp emails are queued. Once I log off the server everything works correctly. The accounts im using to log on are the domain admins accounts and even the local admin account, neither works. I tried running domainprep and forestprep while logged on as domain admin but that didn't resolve the issue. Any ideas?? On 8 May 2006 07:53:00 -0700, Bbruce2k5@gmail.com wrote: >When im logged onto the server using RDP or from the server console >itself all of my SMTP outbound smtp emails a...

Re: Outlook 2003, can it look like OXP?
The Preview Pane is now called the reading Pane. Go to the View drop down menu, go to Reading Pane submenu, select Bottom. The layout will be more like XP. The Folder List and the outlook Bar buttons will stay the way they are off to the left. -Patrick "John Smith" <etacr11inst@hotmail.com> wrote in news:e3LvfVUpDHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl: > The Preview Pane is now called the reading Pane. Go to the View drop > down menu, go to Reading Pane submenu, select Bottom. The layout will > be more like XP. The Folder List and the outlook Bar buttons will stay > the...

How do I link Excel chart axis scale settings to cells?
I want to link a chart's axis scale settings to cells. Is this possible? Hi, You can not directly link the scales setting to cells. Tushar has an addin which help. http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html Cheers Andy strince wrote: > I want to link a chart's axis scale settings to cells. Is this possible? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Please ignore...I found the answer in another post. "strince" wrote: > I want to link a chart's axis scale settings to cells. Is this possible? ...

Open file Slow on Excel 2003
We have upgraded our Office 2000 to 2003 and after the upgrade the response time to open a file on the network or C drive is slow. Once you have click on down arrow next to the look in box it takes a few seconds to respond. All the patches have been loaded. We are running windows XP Any suggetions ...

Public folder Exchange 2003 #2
When I trying to set client permission on public folder I get the following message: Unable to create the required MAPI profile. Please verify that you have sufficient permissions to write to the MAPISVC.INF file. c103073a I have migrated from Exchange server 2000, but I still have the old server running. It doesn’t seem to be a problem with public folders created before Exchange 2003 server, just the new ones. Regards Per Per <Per@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I trying to set client permission on public folder I get the following >message: > >Unable to...

Links not opening on IE and Firefox, only on my user account, for some websites
I�ve recently been having trouble opening certain links, both on Internet Explorer and Firefox. Everything was working fine 2 days ago, when I ran �Disk Cleanup�. However, I don�t think that�s the problem because I ran �Disk Cleanup� once, only for my user account files, and the second time, for all the files on the computer. And this trouble is only occurring my user account. What happens is that I�ll go on, Youtube for instance and clicking on ANY link, whether it�s left-clicking on it, right-clicking on it or clicking the scroller to open the link in a new tab, it doesn�t ha...

Outlook 2003 and Hotmail #2
OL2K3 does not play nicely with Hotmail, regardless of what the marketing people want you to believe. Every time I fire up OL2K3 and do a global "Send and Receive" I get an error list like this: www.raindayspa.ca/emailerrors.gif On a mass email recieve like that, my Hotmail folders almost never populate. I assure you my passwords and logins are correct -- after closing the error window I can access the HM accounts individually and OL2K3 will retrieve the mail. What's more, Hotmail access is still slow. In contrast, OE6 integrates hotmail without any fusses. You'd think th...

Install 2003 with 2002
I have Office 2002 with Outlook 2002. Can I install Outlook 2003 (I bought the stand alone program) and have them both running on Windows XP or must I uninstall Outlook 2002 prior to installing 2003? Dale Only one version of Outlook can be installed on a given drive partition at a time. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:103ctds37ffvnf6@corp.supernews.com, Dale Ireland wrote: > I have Office 2002 with Outlook 2002. Can I install Outlook 2003 (...

Excel 2003 calculation set to manual after an update was run
Hi I have an user which uses alot of formulas. Updates ran about 2 weeks ago and since then any spreadsheets she worked on she needs to set the calculations from manual to automatic. When she does start a new spreadsheet calculations is set to automatic, but I need fix the problem with the previous spreadsheets. This setting is saved with the workbook. Just open each of the manual workbooks, set the mode to Automatic and save the workbook. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200735 "AntonZA2" wrote: > Hi > > I have an user which uses alot of formulas. Updates ran a...

Adding and removing Exchange 2003 Servers
I currently have 1 front end exchange server and 4 back end exchange servers. I am adding 2 larger backend servers. I want to migrate the first for server mailboxes to the 2 lager servers and then remove the first 4 server from my exchange env. Since my front end server is staying in place, and I add the two new server in before i remove the others should I have SMTP routing issues when I remove the first four back end servers. Can anyone suggest the best way to to what I am about to do, am I on the right track. Thanks, Mike I just wanted to add. The current front end server is EX20...

OWA 5.5 with Exchange 2003 Backend
Does anyone know if OWA 5.5 (Only OWA components installed) will access Exchange 2003 backend mailboxes? Does an Exchange 5.5 server need to be running in the site? Any insight would be helpful TIA! "Scott" <swilliams@internosis.com> wrote in message news:OVyMlHGjEHA.1904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if OWA 5.5 (Only OWA components installed) will access > Exchange 2003 backend mailboxes? Does an Exchange 5.5 server need to be > running in the site? > > Any insight would be helpful > > TIA! You might try this; it's for E2K, but I t...

Remote Access or shared LAN access of Outlook without using Exchange Server ????
Currently I am accessing my desktop computer's installation of Outlook through Remote Desktop, from my laptop. I can do this while on the same LAN or remotely, through the internet. This however is not really ideal, as I run my desktop at QXGA resolution and my laptop has only a XGA screen. This means that when I get back home, all the windows on my desktop are all messed up and really small. What I would really like to do is be able to access remotely, in either one of the ways you can do using Exchange Server. I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Stand...

users with restricted access
We have some users that we have directed to only get their information from a report that has been set up. Because of that, I set up a parameter query to make the information more easy to see. The parameter query prompts for last name or broker #, is there a way, when the last name is entered to include Jr's & Sr's? Or should this be another field in the table to make the last name field more accurate? Your Field Like [Your Parameter Here] & "*" or YourField = [Your Parameter Here] OR YourField Like [Your Parameter Here] & "*[JS]r" Or Move th...

Replacement hard drive problem/ account access
Hi there, This is my first post so please be gentle! My family computer is an old Dell Inspiron and for a while its been very slow, then it stopped booting alltogether. The problem turned out to be the hard drive was degenerating so we bought a new one, installed it and kept the old one as the F drive so that we could access all the old files. My brother then reinstalled windows onto the machine. So far so good. Until I tried to access my old files. My old user account was password protected and Im assuming that this is the problem as when I try to get into it I get F:...

Breitling Professional Aerospace 18kt Yellow Gold Titanium Mens Watch F75362-B5-BKLT, Best Wristwatch World
Breitling Professional Aerospace 18kt Yellow Gold Titanium Mens Watch F75362-B5-BKLT, Best Wristwatch World Click Here To Website : http://www.watchebay.net/Breitling-Professional-Aerospace-18kt-Yellow-Gold-Titanium-Mens-Watch-F75362-B5-BKLT.html Wristwatch World: http://www.watchebay.net/ Breitling Professional Aerospace 18kt Yellow Gold Titanium Mens Watch F75362-B5-BKLT Information : Brand : Breitling Watches ( http://www.watchebay.net/Breitling-Watches.html ) Gender : Mens Code : Breitling-F75362-B5-BKLT Also Called : F75362-B5-BKLT, F75362/B5/BKLT, F...

Exchange 2000/2003 Routing Problems
I recently added a new Exchange 2003 server to our 1 server Exchange 2000 org. I am able to send mail from the new Exchange 2003 server to the 2000 server. But when I send to the 2003 server the mail does not go delivered. I am assuming this is a routing issue. How can I troubleshoot this? Should each server be in a seperate routing group and use a routing group connector? They are currently i n the same routing group. Thanks, Forest In case anyone has this problem my STMP connector was setup to use a smart relay. I had to check the box that said attempt local delivery before using...

Access 2007 Positioning of click box
I have an Access Form, on the form are click boxes (Icon click, asks a question, then prints report). Unfortunately when you access the form, then select the click box, it obscures the information required to answer the prompt. I need to make the click box appear in a set place that does not obscure my text. Ideas welcomed, please keep them simple. I have looked here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=208299 & this works on Access 2003, but I cannot find it on 2007. But this is not what I want as I would like to keep the form centred Thanks There are 2 directions to t...

SFO on Laptop accessing MSCRM on laptop
Is it possible to configure the SFO laptop client to the MSCRM server installed on a laptop? Hi Niths! Niths wrote: > Is it possible to configure the SFO laptop client to the MSCRM server > installed on a laptop? On the _same_ laptop? No, although Microsoft is preparing a white paper on how to install CRM-Server and Outlook-Client on one box (only for demonstration purposes). Cheers Arne Janning Hi Niths, You could install MS Virtual PC and create a virtual PC which pretends to be either the server or the client. This will work for demo purposes if your laptop's hardw...

Outlook Web Access (OWA) and Public Folders
How or is it possable to use a Contact Folder that is in your Shared Public Folders while you are connected through your Outlook Web Access (OWA) to send a Message to that contact??? When I am in Outlook I am able to send messages (Right Click and chosse "New message to Contact") to my Contact that is in my Shared Contact Folder that is sitting in my Public Folder, but when I open my OWA and go to Public Folders and go to the Contact Folder that sits there, I do not get this Option to Send message to this Contact.... Thanks in Advance... Michael You'll have to copy t...

Access 2007 ControlSource code in Report causing shut down
The following code worked successfully in Access 2002 & 2003 but for some reason, the lines that contain ControlSource are causing Access 2007 to shut down and error out. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. In short, I’m using a combo box on a form “ReportCenter” to change the GroupLevel and textbox values on a report. If I comment out the lines with ControlSource the code runs successfully, if any one of them are uncommented, Access 2007 shuts down and restarts. 'Group 1 If Forms![ReportCenter]!T2GroupCheck1 = True And Forms![ReportCenter]!T2GroupDescendC...