Linking Visio 2003 Professional to Access 2003 Professional

I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now
cannot find the site.

So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and
field.  Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we
have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc.  What I want to
do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure
diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes.  I also
want it to display the various information about each item (serial
number, asset number, name, type, etc.).

Any help would be appreciated.

visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

you might checkout the database wizard in the visio help facility for a start.
al

"tashnicole@gmail.com" wrote:

> I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now
> cannot find the site.
>
> So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and
> field.  Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we
> have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc.  What I want to
> do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure
> diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes.  I also
> want it to display the various information about each item (serial
> number, asset number, name, type, etc.).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

0
AlEdlund (23)
8/13/2007 4:20:05 PM
So I got everything linked thanks to the callouts.

Now here's my problem.  I want to think one shape (not sure if it can
be done) to multiple tables.  When I go through the wizard it only
lets me select one and when I try to make a query it just makes
everything turn into a big mess.  Not good.

Also, I want to have a button, like Access, where I can circulate
through records in the database.

lastly, how can I get it to create the diagram like you can with the
space planner?  So if I add a server in the database, one more will
pop up in the diagram.

Thanks for all the help.

On Aug 13, 11:20 am, Al Edlund <AlEdl...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> you might checkout the database wizard in the visio help facility for a start.
> al
>

> "tashnic...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now
> > cannot find the site.
>
> > So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and
> > field.  Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we
> > have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc.  What I want to
> > do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure
> > diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes.  I also
> > want it to display the various information about each item (serial
> > number, asset number, name, type, etc.).
>
> > Any help would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

The linking of a single shape to multiple tables is not one of the functions
of the database wizard. It can be done using v2007 Professional.
Cycling through records like access would require custome code.
space planner is a custom application (add-in) that provides that
roundtripping, it sounds like you might need to write something like that as
well.
al
<tashnicole@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So I got everything linked thanks to the callouts.
>
> Now here's my problem.  I want to think one shape (not sure if it can
> be done) to multiple tables.  When I go through the wizard it only
> lets me select one and when I try to make a query it just makes
> everything turn into a big mess.  Not good.
>
> Also, I want to have a button, like Access, where I can circulate
> through records in the database.
>
> lastly, how can I get it to create the diagram like you can with the
> space planner?  So if I add a server in the database, one more will
> pop up in the diagram.
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> On Aug 13, 11:20 am, Al Edlund <AlEdl...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>> you might checkout the database wizard in the visio help facility for a
>> start.
>> al
>>

>> "tashnic...@gmail.com" wrote:
>> > I know there's a way to do this because I saw it somewhere and now
>> > cannot find the site.
>>
>> > So, for work I have an Access database that has numerous tables and
>> > field.  Basically it's a mock-up for an Asset Management System so we
>> > have information on Pritners, Workstations, PDAs, etc.  What I want to
>> > do is pull the information from the database into a infrastructure
>> > diagram in Visio to show how everything connects and changes.  I also
>> > want it to display the various information about each item (serial
>> > number, asset number, name, type, etc.).
>>
>> > Any help would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

edlund1 (616)

outlook blocked access
getting the following message on one of our sales computers when a customer attempts to send a document signature_.pdf.url Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments. 1st what is a pdf.url ? some type of adobe document but what ?? How do i keep Outlook from blocking this ?? it could be a virus/worm. (they use a double tapped extension to fool the user into thinking that it is a safe attachment type like *.pdf) has the user written back the sender to confirm that it was something they sent to them? "m macon" <maconm@earthlink.net> wrote in m...

Change link between form and subform

Rules in Error: You don't have the appropriate permission.?.Outlook 2003
I have created several rules to permanently delete mail with certain characteristics. It was fine for a few days. Now I am getting the following pop up box: "Rules in Error Rule: Prescriptions (example of many) You don't have the appropriate permission to perform this operation." It has done it on several of my permanently delete rules. I'm sure it's a security issue. I'm running XP and am logged in as Administrator. Any ideas? Thanks. ...

visio version 5.0- how to make compatible with xp
I have visio version 5.0 and when I loaded it, it tells me "not compatible with this version of windows. Is there anyway to make it compatible with xp? Ignore the message. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm "Ron" <machinist314@comcast.net> wrote in message news:7B76942E-EF8D-460F-BF86-1216DB3E9EEA@microsoft.com... > I have visio version 5.0 and when I loaded it, it tells me "not compatible w...

MS Outlook 2003 for small business Tech Refresh 2
I loaded the initial Beta as an upgrade to Office XP Pro version with SP 2 (i think - whatever was the most current upgrage as of the middle of july.) I loaded Office then the other apps then loaded Small Business from CD. Then Upgraded to Tech Refresh when I tried to run Outlook I recieved an error message that Buttons failed to load. Reinstall Outlook Small Business. So I did now it doesn't show up in Outlook, No Small Business Tools Menu shows up. I have tried the following in the order described... Uninstalled Small Business Version and reloaded... Uninstalled Small Bus...

linking #4

Outlook 2003 name resolution
I have had a few people ask why one day all of a sudden, when they type in the first few characters, the auto name resolution just stopped responding. They type the first few letters, and usually the drop down appears with option, but now it doesnt. Any ideas? We are using OL2003 w. SP1 on WinXP boxes.... Thanks in advance.... Chris Chris <chrishoche@odysseylogistics.com> wrote: > I have had a few people ask why one day all of a sudden, when they > type in the first few characters, the auto name resolution just > stopped responding. > > They type the first few l...

Linked Forms

Can I insert Auto Text of Last Updated in Excel 2003?
Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? Using a macro yes http://tinyurl.com/4d4of -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "jess_steven" <jess_steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC065FC2-1B52-40D0-BB3E-04DDE7872268@microsoft.com... > Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? ...

Links not linking

Exchange 2003 OWA customisation
Hi Is it possible to change the title of Outlook web access pages? I have found the logon.asp and logoff.asp pages and changed the wording and titles on these but I can't find the main page. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks Gary Hi maybe this articles will help http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/CustomizingOWALogonPa/720b0cd2-fb9a-4538-ab6f-681353315582.mspx http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Customizing-OWA-2003-Forms-Based-Authentication-Logon.html Nebojsa Seslija "Gary Hindson" <garyhindson@hotmail.com> wrote in message n...

Setting up Outlook 2003 #2
I am in the process of setting up Outlook 2003 on my new computer. I believe I may have click the wrong answer and have put in incorrect information for outlook to start. I keep getting a box that ask for Username and passcode. When I put in the information I think it should be, I receive this message: Unable to open your default e-mail. The file C:\Documents and Setting\Owner\Local Setting\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline folder file. Please tell me what I should do. When I click OK. Outlook closes. Thanks. -- Trying to keep up with technology G...

Cannot send E-Mails, but can Receive them -- Outlook 2003
Okay, I'm completely baffeled by this one. I have two Windows XP machines (one desktop and one laptop), both with Service Pack 2 (and up to date), and both have Outlook 2003 installed on them. I've set them both up with the exact same account with the exact same account configuration options; the desktop sends and receives just as it should, the laptop can only receive. On the Laptop, when I go into the "E-Mail Accounts" configuration screen and click on the "Test Account Settings..." button, a dialog box comes up with two tabs. The first tab shows that th...

Excel 2003- Tabbing to a specific location in a cell
I have created a template and I want to be able to fill in parts of the template by just tabbing and the cursor to move to the next cell...and to a specific area in the cell...how do i set up my template to do this? THanks so much unlock the cells you want to tab to. leave the other cells protected. then protected the sheet. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "monty the magician" <monty the magician@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD3728D8-E730-407E-B58A-FED2C6D9EA8A@microsoft.com... >I have created a template and I want to be able to f...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Exchange 2003 SP1 #5
Hi. Where can I check whether the SP1 is installed on my Server or not? When running the Windows Update, it doesn't suggest any Updates for Exchange?! Thanks Stefan You can tell by looking in Exchange System Manager. For example, in ESM I display things by Administrative Group so I go to the Server folder under Administrator Groups > First Administrative Group. The panel on the right will list the name of the server(s) and what the version/service pack level is. "Stefan" <news@stefan-strobl.de> wrote in message news:e33936f6.0412230106.40d7a87e@posting.google....

Outlook 2003 Marked as Read
When I ran Outlook/OfficeXP Pro - as I received email the new mail was highlighted in bold / black and after I scrolled thru it, clicked on it, or opened it, the message un-bolded. I migrated to Office Pro 2003 because Sharepoint is not integrated to XP Office (linked events, etc). Now new mail comes in and the envelope icon appears. I literally have to open it for it to be marked as read. Where is the option to have new mail in bold and marked as read without having to open it or physically click "Marked as read"? I looking for the mail option like I had in all prev...

.NET Webservice Accessing Exchange 2003
I would like to setup a .NET webservice that will access an Exchange 2003 server and perform the following tasks: 1) Given a particular email address, return all headers/subjects that matches the TO or FROM field. The purpose would be to return all emails from a particular individual in order to enhance a home grown CRM system. It would have to search a select few exchange mailboxes. 2) Given the particular email, return the body of the email. Is this possible? If so, what kind of performance am I looking at here given upwards of 20,000 total emails in 3 or 4 mailboxes? If this is possib...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Cascading Messages in Outlook 2003
This has been annoying me since the day I installed Outlook 2003 over my Express 6.0 Cascading messages: sometimes when I have a conversatin going on the same subject with multiple receipients, Outlook cascades messages, in a Message Board format, so you can see the 'chain' of replies like this: bob@aol.com susan@aol.com eric@yahoo.com and so on.... Other times, Outlook decides it doesn't want to cascade the messages, so it just lists them on top of one another, like this: bob@aol.com susan@aol.com eric@aol.com Why is that? I check all settings under Views, ...

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Excel 2003 tries to Set Up
I have Excel 2002 loaded on my PC. Just recently, when I try to open an Excel file, it goes thru Windows Installer and comes up with MS Office 2003 setup window.....asking me for user name, initials, product key. In order to get around this, I have to open my Excel 2002 program first, then Open my file. Can anyone please tell me why this is happening all of a sudden? It is very annoying. thanks, Nelda Hi Nelda Not quite sure myself but may be that the Excel files you are opening were created in an earlier or later version of Excel and when you try and open them they search for that vers...

Exchange 2003 OWA not loading messages
Hi, We have an issue where OWA (on Exchange 2003) logs in correctly & displays the interface correctly but does not load any messages in any folder. Only a "Loading..." message is displayed. Usually it is possible to compose new emails but no current messages will be listed. This problem does not appear consistent but behaves differently depending on IE security level and IE version/patch level. Using another browser almost always works and loads the messages correctly. Any ideas? Cheers, Zsombor I have located the 3 or 4 ActiveX and scripting security settings whic...

Microsoft money 2003 #4
When I try to enter a transaction into the register I get the following response: "This transaction cannot be enterred". This problem just popped up and has never happened before. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you, Charlie In microsoft.public.money, Charlie wrote: >When I try to enter a transaction into the register I get >the following response: "This transaction cannot be >enterred". This problem just popped up and has never >happened before. > >I would appreciate any advice. Consider File->Restore. If you don't have a rec...