link data shape property to size and position entry

Dear Visio Experts -
I need your help to find a solution for this issue
Problem: I want to have the height and width of a drawing(for ex: rectangle)
coming from the excel which I have linked to the Visio?
For ex: I have an XL with following data set.
Type	X-side	Y - side
Block1	8	         1
Block2	1	        2
Block3	2	        4
I linked this XL to visio using Data--> Link data to shapes->excel workbook.
I got external data window in XL and was able to draw rectangles on visio
drawing which are linked to the external data window. Now in the size and
shape properties window of each rectangle, I have to go and change the width
and height to X-side and Y-side coming from XL - manually. I want the width
and height of this rectangle to automatically come from X-side and Y-side
data in the excel which is linked to the shape. Is this possible?

0
pravas (2)
9/5/2009 10:33:01 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

See previous post with similar title.

Best regards

John

John Goldsmith (Visio MVP)
www.visualSignals.typepad.co.uk
www.visualSignals.co.uk

"pravas" <pravas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Visio Experts -
> I need your help to find a solution for this issue
> Problem: I want to have the height and width of a drawing(for ex:
> rectangle)
> coming from the excel which I have linked to the Visio?
> For ex: I have an XL with following data set.
> Type X-side Y - side
> Block1 8          1
> Block2 1         2
> Block3 2         4
> I linked this XL to visio using Data--> Link data to shapes->excel
> workbook.
> I got external data window in XL and was able to draw rectangles on visio
> drawing which are linked to the external data window. Now in the size and
> shape properties window of each rectangle, I have to go and change the
> width
> and height to X-side and Y-side coming from XL - manually. I want the
> width
> and height of this rectangle to automatically come from X-side and Y-side
> data in the excel which is linked to the shape. Is this possible?

How about a link....?

Why not make your information more user friendly.  I just did a search for
something similar and this thread came up and it refers to something I can't
find.

As an MVP, I would expect better.
-Derek

"John Goldsmith_Visio_MVP" wrote:

> See previous post with similar title.
>
> Best regards
>
> John
>

> John Goldsmith (Visio MVP)
> www.visualSignals.typepad.co.uk
> www.visualSignals.co.uk
>
> "pravas" <pravas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Visio Experts -
> > I need your help to find a solution for this issue
> > Problem: I want to have the height and width of a drawing(for ex:
> > rectangle)
> > coming from the excel which I have linked to the Visio?
> > For ex: I have an XL with following data set.
> > Type X-side Y - side
> > Block1 8          1
> > Block2 1         2
> > Block3 2         4
> > I linked this XL to visio using Data--> Link data to shapes->excel
> > workbook.
> > I got external data window in XL and was able to draw rectangles on visio
> > drawing which are linked to the external data window. Now in the size and
> > shape properties window of each rectangle, I have to go and change the
> > width
> > and height to X-side and Y-side coming from XL - manually. I want the
> > width
> > and height of this rectangle to automatically come from X-side and Y-side
> > data in the excel which is linked to the shape. Is this possible?

0
Derek1 (142)
11/3/2009 1:58:01 PM
did you bother checking the post just below this one in the visio forum ?

    http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/vislog/2009/09/link-size-data-to-shapes.html

al

"Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How about a link....?
>
> Why not make your information more user friendly.  I just did a search for
> something similar and this thread came up and it refers to something I
> can't
> find.
>
> As an MVP, I would expect better.
> -Derek
>
> "John Goldsmith_Visio_MVP" wrote:
>
>> See previous post with similar title.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> John
>>

>> John Goldsmith (Visio MVP)
>> www.visualSignals.typepad.co.uk
>> www.visualSignals.co.uk
>>
>> "pravas" <pravas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear Visio Experts -
>> > I need your help to find a solution for this issue
>> > Problem: I want to have the height and width of a drawing(for ex:
>> > rectangle)
>> > coming from the excel which I have linked to the Visio?
>> > For ex: I have an XL with following data set.
>> > Type X-side Y - side
>> > Block1 8          1
>> > Block2 1         2
>> > Block3 2         4
>> > I linked this XL to visio using Data--> Link data to shapes->excel
>> > workbook.
>> > I got external data window in XL and was able to draw rectangles on
>> > visio
>> > drawing which are linked to the external data window. Now in the size
>> > and
>> > shape properties window of each rectangle, I have to go and change the
>> > width
>> > and height to X-side and Y-side coming from XL - manually. I want the
>> > width
>> > and height of this rectangle to automatically come from X-side and
>> > Y-side
>> > data in the excel which is linked to the shape. Is this possible?

0
edlund1 (616)

Change link between form and subform

Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework
Hi All, We have Microsoft CRM 1.2 installed. Its up and running without any problems. We installed Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework but I guess it is for CRM version 1.0 (The CD came with Microsoft CRM 1.0 the first time when we bought it). My question is can I update the Migration Framework so that it will work with CRM 1.2 or is there all together new Migration Framework available for download which works with CRM 1.2. Thanks, Prasad This is the error I am getting when I try to initialize CDF database. Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework Version 1.0 - InitializeCDF Too...

Linked Forms

Legacy Data
Has anyone migrated from Lawson to GP (or another accounting product)? If so, what have you done with your legacy data? If you mean the raw data still in the old program, burn it on DVD's and put it in the firebox. Mike "Siri" <Siri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:759D2ADF-92E9-4157-A7B2-13A259341A50@microsoft.com... > Has anyone migrated from Lawson to GP (or another accounting product)? If > so, what have you done with your legacy data? > Import - Master DAta - GL Summary transactions - Open Receivables and Payables Try and do as lit...

linking #4

Mail merge using Excel data
Using P2003 and mail merge In Pub, whenever my "zipcode" field (that I am getting from an Excel file) has zip +4 digits, "0" shows up in the Pub merge results. In the Excel file, I have tried having the column attributes set as Custom, Text, and others to see if that was causing the problem, but still the same results. How can I get the zip + 4 to display correctly in the Pub merge? Thanks much for your help. Try inserting an apostrophe before the figures in Excel. This tells Excel that the cell contains text. Does this work for you? -- Rae Drysdale "ladyt...

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

Links not linking

Account's Relationship Type property vs. Competitor Management?
Hi, What does property "Relationship Type" in Account Management mean? it has a value named "Competitor", what is relationship between this property with Competitor Management function? Thanks, Account is a general term used to define relationships with any real world entity. So Customers, Prospects, Suppliers, Partners, etc are all examples of 'relationships'. That is if you choose to use the system that way - some people only include 'customers'. The use of Competitor in this instance is just an example, and remember - if you only have the sales ...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

How can I create a chart to compare multiple data series?
Using Excel, is there a way to merge multiple charts with different data series into one to demonstrate a direct comparison of the data series within one single chart. I've got 4 charts of the stacked column type. magnoliak77 Tufte calls them small multiples, Cleveland calls them trellis displays. I call them panel charts. Take a look at the examples on this page. http://processtrends.com/toc_panel_charts.htm Another option is to stick with your 4 charts, however, you can size and align them. Here's a link to a simple macro that sizes and aligns all charts on a single sheet....

links

Sharing Data Between Computers
I have Outlook 2003 on my desktop computer and my laptop computer, which are connected with a router, and are both running Windows XP. I would like the laptop computer to be able to use the Outlook data from the desktop computer when it's on the network. I went to File | Date File Management, and added the desktop computer's PST file to the Outlook.pst file that was already there. However, the desktop computer's data didn't appear in the laptop's copy of Outlook. Is there something else I need to do, or do I need to have Exchange running on my home network to get thi...

moving data from one db to another
I have a pretty general question about what might be the best way to handle this. I need to write a watcher program to export flagged rows in an MSSQL 2005 db out to a MySQL db. After each row is copied, I need to reset the flag in the source. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what the best process for this would be. Looping through all the rows in the source one at a time and then posting them one at a time seems like the wrong way to go. There's a lot of vb.net that I don't know so I'm thinking there might be a better, simpler way to do this. Initially there...

Font size in Entourage
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Can i change the font size in Entourage? My poor eyes need help On 2/5/10 11:12 AM, in article 59bb2527.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "dunruh@officeformac.com" <dunruh@officeformac.com> wrote: > Can i change the font size in Entourage? My poor eyes need help Under Entourage in the Menu bar select Preferences. Select Fonts and set the size you want. Fonts can be set for plain text and HTML. The settings for plain text only affect what YOU see and not what the sender receives. The receiver will s...

Why Won't this code work with different Bitmap Sizes?
http://codeproject.com/printing/general.asp Whenever I try to change the bmpWidth, and bmpHeight very much, it only prints a blank page. For example bmpWidth = 640, and bmpHeight = 480, only prints a blank page. Why would this be? Thanks you should contact the author regarding this. -- With Regard's Alok Gupta visit me at http://alok.bizhat.com "i think this will work" "Peter Olcott" <olcott@att.net> wrote in message news:FGLRd.8200$yr.3617@okepread05... > http://codeproject.com/printing/general.asp > > Whenever I try to change...

Missing Entries on Budget Reports on 2004
My main objective in using MS Money is to track spending vs. budget. Have complete budget created and but monthly budget report leaves budget column blank for several entries, therefore overspent.. What is up with this??? ...

All day event data type
What is the data type for an "all day event in Outlook". I would like to use Access to help automate my need to enter a weekend on call schedule. These events are allways allday. I have seen an example of doing this for regular appointments, but not for all day events. Also, in the outlook.application.(value) what is the value called for an all day event? Thanks AllDayEvent is boolean, it is either true or false. Check out http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa211368(office.11).aspx HTH, JP On Jan 20, 3:02=A0am, GeraldF <m...@somewhere.com> wrote: > What is t...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Accountextensionbase missing data ? Help
Hi I have a customer who has moved CRM 3.0 to new server by them self and I have converted it to CRM 4.0 Now they have made some custom fields and we are able to save data in these fields on new accounts but not on the old ones. We can save data in the old fields. I then took a look at the database and there is only fields in the accountextensionsbase since after they moved the database. How can I fix this ? They can merge each to a new customer but that would take a long time. Can I do a insert into with data from the Account table or is there another solution ? ...

Links

converting cell data / opposite?
Hello Excel gurus... I have a cell/column containing a persons name: John Doe I'd like to convert cell/column to read: Doe, John What formula is used in order to make this happen? I've tried left/right/len commands out the wazzoo (technical word) - I give... uncle.... Any help? Jorge Hi Jorge in another cell use =RIGHT(C14,FIND(" ",C14)-1) &", " & LEFT(C14,FIND(" ",C14)) where C14 has the original data in it Cheers JulieD "Jorge" <czar1259@netscape.net> wrote in message news:10k0ptons6i6e4c@corp.supernews.com... > Hell...

Data Tables
Question for you, please: In the past, if I wanted to use an EXCEL data table, I was sure that the "row input" and "column input" cells needed to have values in them. It needed to be, for example, 3, not even =3, since the latter is a formula. That made sense to me because you are asking EXCEL to give you some other cell's result with different values for this "input" cell. Recently, I replaced such an input with a formula and, to my surprise, the data table results did not change and it seems to work anyway, which kind of blows me away. You would think t...

Data Validation
I am having problems with 7 Nested IF functions in data validation. What is the best way around formulas using more than 7 IF functions? How do you write an IF function in VBA where there are more than seven statements? Thanks Can you provide a more detailed explanation of what you're trying to do? There are many ways to get around a bunch of nested if statements. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "CC" <coralie@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:9C695B13-7E9C-46E1-915B-F6E880D9AB0E@microsoft.com... >I am having problems with 7 Nested IF functions in data validation. &...