Instances doesn't get updated when the master stencil changes

Hi,

I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I change 
the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master 
shape.

At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of 
instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When I 
change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds) 
and this is such a pain.

How can I solve this problem?

Any help would be appreciated,
Max 


0
alanalan (3)
10/17/2006 1:29:15 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

4 Replies
1208 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 18

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
<alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I change 
>the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master 
>shape.
>
>At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of 
>instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When I 
>change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds) 
>and this is such a pain.
>
>How can I solve this problem?

Edit the document master
File -> Shapes -> Show Document Stencil



-- 
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.      http://www.pherber.com/
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
0
10/17/2006 1:40:25 PM
"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message 
news:r7n9j21inp23l0er9uos91guod4839qe17@news.gradwell.net...
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
> <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I 
>>change
>>the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master
>>shape.
>>
>>At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of
>>instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When 
>>I
>>change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds)
>>and this is such a pain.
>>
>>How can I solve this problem?
>
> Edit the document master
> File -> Shapes -> Show Document Stencil
>
>
>
> -- 
> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.      http://www.pherber.com/
> http://www.sandrila.co.uk/

I've tried that. When I have 200 visio drawing files, I have to update the 
document stencil for all 200 files. That is tedious. Is there any way that 
with one change all 200 files get updated?

Thank you for help,
Max


0
alanalan (3)
10/17/2006 2:46:58 PM
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:46:58 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
<alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

>
>"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message 
>news:r7n9j21inp23l0er9uos91guod4839qe17@news.gradwell.net...
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
>> <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I 
>>>change
>>>the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master
>>>shape.
>>>
>>>At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of
>>>instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When 
>>>I
>>>change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds)
>>>and this is such a pain.
>>>
>>>How can I solve this problem?
>>
>> Edit the document master
>> File -> Shapes -> Show Document Stencil
>>
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.      http://www.pherber.com/
>> http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
>
>I've tried that. When I have 200 visio drawing files, I have to update the 
>document stencil for all 200 files. That is tedious. Is there any way that 
>with one change all 200 files get updated?

I don't know a way to do that, however, you might want to try a shape
substitute. One way to do this is in my sig below. Open the document
and do a shape substitution with the updated shape, there is an option
to repeat through all open documents. The number of documents you have
open at one time will depend upon how much memory you have and which
version of Visio.
P.S. You may need to substitute via some intermediate shape.


-- 
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.          http://www.pherber.com/
Visio Utilities           http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/
0
10/17/2006 6:38:24 PM
by the way this gets even better.

Assuming update a doc stencil for a given shape.  The changes do not take 
affect until the shape is accessed/selected.  Ie just updating the doc 
stencil does NOT ensure the shapes actually get updated.

"Paul Herber" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:46:58 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
> <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
> 
> >
> >"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message 
> >news:r7n9j21inp23l0er9uos91guod4839qe17@news.gradwell.net...
> >> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
> >> <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
> >>
> >>>Hi,
> >>>
> >>>I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I 
> >>>change
> >>>the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master
> >>>shape.
> >>>
> >>>At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of
> >>>instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When 
> >>>I
> >>>change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds)
> >>>and this is such a pain.
> >>>
> >>>How can I solve this problem?
> >>
> >> Edit the document master
> >> File -> Shapes -> Show Document Stencil
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.      http://www.pherber.com/
> >> http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
> >
> >I've tried that. When I have 200 visio drawing files, I have to update the 
> >document stencil for all 200 files. That is tedious. Is there any way that 
> >with one change all 200 files get updated?
> 
> I don't know a way to do that, however, you might want to try a shape
> substitute. One way to do this is in my sig below. Open the document
> and do a shape substitution with the updated shape, there is an option
> to repeat through all open documents. The number of documents you have
> open at one time will depend upon how much memory you have and which
> version of Visio.
> P.S. You may need to substitute via some intermediate shape.
> 
> 
> -- 
> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.          http://www.pherber.com/
> Visio Utilities           http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/
> 
0
vojo (16)
10/19/2006 3:23:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Changing vat rate calculation in Money 2006
I have enabled VAT calculations on my transactions in my accounts and the tax rate has changed but I can't find a way to change it in Money 2006. This is a database that has been upgraded over many versions and I'm sure I've changed this before in another version. I can see the old rate in some reports I print but for the life of me I can't find a setting in 2006. Anyone know of the way to change the Vat Rate? or is this another new feature ;(( -- Boyd In microsoft.public.money, Boyd Tucker wrote: >I have enabled VAT calculations on my transactions in my accou...

How do I change the activity preview pane?
For Phone and Task Preview forms, I have tried to add the Description field to the form, but I am not able to make the field span two columns. Does anyone know a way around this? We need a better way to quickly jump between activity information while we're on the phone with a contact. Should we be storing this type of information somewhere else? Our sales team is finding this a barrier and thinks MS CRM is nothing more than a glorified address book. They are pushing us to move to ACT, but I think it’s just a matter of using this system more efficiently. Thanks for your help/inp...

changing Exchange primary windows account
How To change primary Windows Account in exchange 5.5 mailbox, I have 3000 mailboxes in exchange 5.5 server. I want to change the primary windows account of all the users. can anybody suggest the faster way to do it.does anybody hv any tool. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;155414 Sri wrote: > How To change primary Windows Account in exchange 5.5 > mailbox, I have 3000 mailboxes in exchange 5.5 server. > I want to change the primary windows account of all the > users. > can anybody suggest the faster way to do it.does anybody > hv any tool. ...

Changing values in a value box
Hi all, I have a data set that looks like this: DATE A$ B$ A% B% mar-14 50 100 33 66 mar-21 100 100 50 50 mar-28 75 25 75 25 I want to chart the percentages by each date, but I want the "value" box to display the dollars. The only way I can think to trick the Excel chart is create 2 x-axises and hide the $ axis, but then the $ values don't match the height of the % columns. Is there a way to link the $ values to the % columns? Thanks. Josh, To chart only the percentages, select the Date column, and also the two % columns (drag throug...

Changing the Organization Name
I need to change my organization name in CRM, my license keys are registered under my Full Company Name and CRM was installed without the LLC. Note: The organization name created in the previous procedure (setting up CRM) must match the organization specified when your license key was obtained. When you do the install, the Org Name you specifiy needs to match the Org Name that was used for the License Keys. So, in your case, just install it w/o the LLC (assuming that's what your license keys are setup for). The v1.2 install shouldn't let you by the screen where you enter this ...

Failed Recent Updates and Error Code 80070490
Since yesterday my computer and me have been trying to install two Vista updates: Security Updates for Windows Vista (KB967723) and Updates for windows Vista (KB972145) and I get the Error Found Code 80070490 I have Windows Vista Ultimate. Please advise. Hello Octavio, 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of the OS. How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7 <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833> Tell...

Changing a custom field length
We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar. I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please help me with this?? Affy Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither increse the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created. Then there's a question of what to do with any existing...

Get/Change operation on table 'SY_Error_Messages_MSTR'
Hi all, We upgraded from GP version 9 to version 10 over the past weekend. I have a user who is entering Payables Transactions and she is receiving the following message when she tries to enter a duplicate PO#.... Unhandled database exception: A get/change operation on table 'SY_Error_Messages_MSTR' cannot find the table. Invalid object name 'SY01700' So based on the error, the incorrect message is appearing to the user. Can I rebuild the SY01700 table? Is this really the issue? Any help would be greatly appeciated! Thanks, Lori The SY01700 Table holds the error mess...

getting events from Excel
Hello, How to I send events from Excel to my VB6 application? I am unfamiliar with ActiveX . I think I see it as some sort of server logically sitting between my app and Excel. That is to say, I think that I would raise events in Excel VBA, the server catches them and raises events in my vb6 app. My need for this is that my app installs a toolbar in Excel. When the user selects an action from the toolbar, I need to send to my app the action code and a string of coded information. I would also like to have Bidirectional communication but I dont see how that could be done. I n...

Change in paste behaviout between Publisher 2000 and 2002-
I also have the same problem. I use publisher to print ID cards and every day paste about 100 images from a graphics program into the same sized text box in Publisher. With all versions of Publisher up to and including 2000 the pasted image would resize itself to the text frame. This being what I need. With Publisher 2002 onwards the pasted image pastes itself into a new frame on top of the existing image and much larger. I then have to delete the existing image and resize the new image, which takes much much longer than using Publisher 2000. If Microsoft provided an option somewhere to cho...

Error
My HR users are seeing a new error when trying to update one of the fields on the "Position Extra Fields" Screen (located at "Position Setup" Screen -> "Position Extra Fields" Screen) The error is "This employee record has been changed since you opened this window. Changes won't be saved." I can duplicated it also, even when signed in as admin. I tried tracing it but see nothing that helps. A SQL trace shows an attempted insert to HRPOS022 then next a Select to Dynamics..Sy01700 (holds the error messages) Ca...

REPOST Re: Trying to get mailbox lock from process
Has anyone made any headway on this issue? I am currently trying to determine if any informative messages are logged on the server side. --=C ####################### Hi Brent, Is it possible the mailbox is being accessed by another client at the same time? -Michael On 10/21/04 12:38 PM, in article BD9D5E5D.473D%brent@hazmatexplo.org, "Brent DeCracker" <brent@hazmatexplo.org> wrote: >> Michael, >> >> Just to throw my two cents in - I'm having the same problem, and it didn't >> occur until I upgraded to 11.1. I've been using th...

registry key gets undeleted after computer taken out of hibernation
I'm trying to better understand the registry and am having some difficulty doing so. HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths \url25 I delete that registry key using regedit and when I take my computer out of hibernate it's back. Any ideas as to what's going on? "yawnmoth" <terra1024@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c9cb7b04-f626-4802-a614-26c9391c1e61@h9g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to better understand the registry and am having some > difficulty doing so. > > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Win...

Get firefox- The fastest web browser in the world!
FireFox is a web browser created by Mozilla,it's the fatest web browser in whole world download now from site: http://hot-firefox.blogspot.com/ joke-master wrote: > FireFox is a web browser created by Mozilla,it's the fatest web > browser in whole world > download now from site: > http://hot-firefox.blogspot.com/ > If you don't mind it's memory leaks. If you re-boot each day it may not be a problem for you. Al ...

POS Extended Amount Flips to Positive on a return when changed?
Microsoft Retail Manager Version 1.3.1002 Hi, I recently had a problem balancing when i noticed that a return i processed was incorrectly journaled. Generating a detailed sales report also illustrated the same error. The quantity sold was -1, the sold price was -ve but the total sale was +ve, whereas when correct the quantity sold is -1 the sold price is +ve and the total sale is -ve. How This Happened: In POS I processed the return in what I thought was the usual manner. I pressed the return button and then because the item being returned had a reduced value I changed the extended price th...

I need an Excel Genius !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Headers/Footer Changes
I think I need some work around code. I have two workbooks named QG and Add-In. Add-In contains all the code to manipulate data in QG. I have two option buttons in Sheets("QUOTE") in QG. Each option button represents a company. When an option button is clicked the code below located in Add-In is called, which changes the Header and Footer to represent that company. The code works fine, but there is a fault. If the Logo is moved to a different folder the code fails. Is there a way to store the two company logos (.jpeg) in one of the workbooks so that when one...

Dates and balances don't change after downloads
I am using Money 2005 and I have five accounts (three bank accounts and two credit card accounts) from which I download financial data. Downloading financial data gives me no problem but the balance and dates of four of the five accounts don't change: they all sit on the same date with the time as midnight and the balance as it was in October or November. How do I fix this? Salvage tells me the files are fine and I'm at a loss. Steven ...

Changing Font case in excel
Is there a way to to change upper case fonts to say, title case or lower case Thanks in advance Andrew Andrew, here is one way, with your data in A1 =PROPER(A1) =LOWER(A1) -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 97 & 2000 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Andrew S." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0F578F3-286B-478F-B7B8-2209F19F55F8@microsoft.com... > Is there a w...

How to get the planning to the engineers?
Hi, The other day I started as Resource Planner for my company. What I would like to know is what is possible with the Microsoft product line. If I plan using Project Professional 2007, is it possible to write tasks from the project plan in PP2007 to Outlook? Or do I need Project Server 2007 AND Project Web Access? TIA, Abel There's not a great way to integrate with Outlook in the 2007 product, even with PWA. To communicate with resources, most people use PDF's, built in reports, the Copy Picture to Office Wizard, or read only MPP files. There's also an op...

Why do I keep getting logged out?
I downloaded IE8 in the last few months. Also, my ISP, Charter.net, has also undergone an upgrade. I keep getting looged off of my ISP. Whenever I search, or go to a new web page, and broswe back or even if I open a new window and close it, many times I have been automatically logged off. I spoke at length with Charter about this and they said it is my ISP setup causing it. Any ideas? Thanks. dpcoltsfan wrote: > I downloaded IE8 in the last few months. Also, my ISP, Charter.net, has also > undergone an upgrade. I keep getting looged off of my ISP. Whenever I > se...

How can I update my "Publisher for Windows 95"?
I have "Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95," and I'd like to update it to a more recent version. Currently, my OS is Windows XP. How can I do this? one_thing_303 wrote: > I have "Microsoft Publisher for Windows 95," and I'd like to update it to a > more recent version. Currently, my OS is Windows XP. How can I do this? The current version of Publisher is Publisher 2007, available at most software stores as well as online. Check that your computer meets the system requirements before purchasing. Publisher has undergone rather a substantial number of chan...

changing the size of the font in the navigation pane in word 2007
How do I change the size of the font in the navigation pane in word 2007? The method used in previous versions of word do not apply as the options (under format) have changed. I find the size is too small Thanks -- melthamdave Well, for one thing Word 2007 is a Windows version & this is the newsgroup for Word on the Mac :-) However, it makes no difference � the font size in any of the dialog windows/panes/panels cannot be modified. For future reference you can reach the Win Office groups here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx Reg...

How do I change the order of items in a graph legend?
Hello, I am trying to create charts for different timframes, have listed the data in similar fashion in two different spread sheets. When I create graphs, the order of legend is not identical in the two graphs. It needs to be consistent. Appreciate any help along these lines. Thanks, Hi, You can use the series order option in the format dialog to change the order. Double click a series to display the format dialog. Note though that the series need to be of the same chart type and on the same axis in order to manipulate the series order. Cheers Andy NsShak wrote: > Hello, I am...

Update values in close opportunity form
Hi, I want to update the values in the drop down of the close opportunity form. I want to add/remove the values in the status reason field Is there any way I can do this? Thanks Eddie Not using the default crm forms. You have to build a custom aspx page calling the webservice for this. The CRM SDK has some details on this look for the SetStatusRequest -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT Web: aviva-it.nl "eddieg@uniqueworld.net" wrote: > Hi, > > I want to update the values in the drop down of the close opportunity > form. I want to add/rem...

changing layout after publication is created
does anyone know if it is possible to change the layout of a blank print publication that is about 18 pages to newsletter format? thank you Can your printer print 11 x 17? If your printer can add two pages, in page setup select booklet. If the publication is blank, why not delete it and start from scratch? Publisher works in groups of four. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "katerina" <katerina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27160461-1AF9-4AEC-84B4-B3809195681E@microsoft.com... >...