Instances doesn't get updated when the master stencil changes

Hi,

I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I change
the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master
shape.

At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of
instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When I
change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds)
and this is such a pain.

How can I solve this problem?

Any help would be appreciated,
Max

0
alanalan (3)
10/17/2006 1:29:15 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
<alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I change
>the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master
>shape.
>
>At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of
>instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When I
>change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds)
>and this is such a pain.
>
>How can I solve this problem?

Edit the document master
File -> Shapes -> Show Document Stencil

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.      http://www.pherber.com/
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
> <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I
>>change
>>the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master
>>shape.
>>
>>At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of
>>instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When
>>change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds)
>>and this is such a pain.
>>
>>How can I solve this problem?
>
> Edit the document master
> File -> Shapes -> Show Document Stencil
>

> --
> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.      http://www.pherber.com/
> http://www.sandrila.co.uk/

I've tried that. When I have 200 visio drawing files, I have to update the
document stencil for all 200 files. That is tedious. Is there any way that
with one change all 200 files get updated?

Thank you for help,
Max

0
alanalan (3)
10/17/2006 2:46:58 PM
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:46:58 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
<alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

>"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:29:15 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
>> <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am trying to create a stencil master shape in such way that when I
>>>change
>>>the master, all instances also get updated according to the new master
>>>shape.
>>>
>>>At this point I have a master shape in a stencil and I have hundreds of
>>>instances in different visio drawing based on the very same stencil. When
>>>change the master shape, I have to change all instances (several hundreds)
>>>and this is such a pain.
>>>
>>>How can I solve this problem?
>>
>> Edit the document master
>> File -> Shapes -> Show Document Stencil
>>

>> --
>> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.      http://www.pherber.com/
>> http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
>
>I've tried that. When I have 200 visio drawing files, I have to update the
>document stencil for all 200 files. That is tedious. Is there any way that
>with one change all 200 files get updated?

I don't know a way to do that, however, you might want to try a shape
substitute. One way to do this is in my sig below. Open the document
and do a shape substitution with the updated shape, there is an option
to repeat through all open documents. The number of documents you have
open at one time will depend upon how much memory you have and which
version of Visio.
P.S. You may need to substitute via some intermediate shape.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.          http://www.pherber.com/
Visio Utilities           http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/

Assuming update a doc stencil for a given shape.  The changes do not take
affect until the shape is accessed/selected.  Ie just updating the doc
stencil does NOT ensure the shapes actually get updated.

"Paul Herber" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:46:58 -0400, "Maxwell2006"
> <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
>

> >"Paul Herber" <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wrote in message

> >> Edit the document master
> >> File -> Shapes -> Show Document Stencil
> >>

> >> --
> >> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.      http://www.pherber.com/
> >> http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
> >
> >I've tried that. When I have 200 visio drawing files, I have to update the
> >document stencil for all 200 files. That is tedious. Is there any way that
> >with one change all 200 files get updated?
>
> I don't know a way to do that, however, you might want to try a shape
> substitute. One way to do this is in my sig below. Open the document
> and do a shape substitution with the updated shape, there is an option
> to repeat through all open documents. The number of documents you have
> open at one time will depend upon how much memory you have and which
> version of Visio.
> P.S. You may need to substitute via some intermediate shape.
>

> --
> Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.          http://www.pherber.com/
> Visio Utilities           http://www.visio-utilities.sandrila.co.uk/

0
vojo (16)

Get Rich
Take advantage of a great deal ...

SIGNUP FREE and Get a 6000 SQ FT HOME
As one of the Nets TOP Millionaires I never do free opportunities. A good friend of mine and fellow top earner showed me a check from this free opportunity that was so big it paid for a 2008 Range Rover and his 6000 Sq Ft House. I was shocked. I said you kidding right? He Wasn't. He just threw up banners on safelists and ad sites. I had to try it since it was free.I did and got a check for 10 Grand! Listen to this audio: http://www.byoaudio.com/play/WpmTgFBk Go to my website and lock your position in now! http://www.watchthemoneyonline.com ...

Changing File Icon
Hi all, Is there a way to change the file's Excel icon into another Icon (.jp or .tif)? Do i need a ResEdit type of software? I'm trying to make easier to identify the different sheets to severa users. In Mac OS i saw someone changing the icons so i would like to know i it is possible in Win Excel. Thanks in advance Jose Lui -- jose lui ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jose luis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1331 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39307 Jose Lu...

Getting vba Macros to work again in Word 2004 for Mac
The macros I wrote myself for my work as a translator quit working in office 2004 - trying to open or run them causes Word to shut down. Reinstalling did not help. SOOO I bought Word for Mac 2008, only to learn that VBA macros are not supported in that version. 1. Are there any patches or fixes out there for Word for Mac 2004? Can I download something? 2. Or - when will Word for Mac 2010-11 be out, and will it include support for VBA Macros? 3. Or is there another solution you recommend? I wrote about 30 Macros, each of them with more than 50 commands. It's hard to...

Can't get Vista recovery CD to recognize installation
I'm trying to get a Powerspec B647 Vista64 Business PC to boot. After booting to the Vista Recovery CD and choosing to repair, the process can't find any installed O/S. So I press the Load Drivers button to load the B647 RAID controller drivers, which I downloaded from Powerspec to my flash drive. After pointing it to the "sataraid" folder, the system installs some controllers and drivers but still doesn't find my Vista installation afterwards. Even worse, the C drive letter is given to one of the removable media drives. After pressing the Next button I'...

UI won't update (2nd try)
Hello newsgroup, my application still won't update the tool bar (when I set a breakpoint at the OnUpdate handler, it shows that this method is never called). When I showed a message box or used the scrollbars of my view, the app started idle processing (and the method was called in certain intervalls, just as one would expect). Now that I have changed some parts of my app, it won't even do this. How can I find out what's wrong in my app? How can I determine if idle processing is done? I think that this is the bug, the app doesn't start idle processing. Thanks, Stuart It'...

Installing Money without access to updates (as Money is retiring)
Hi all I have a copy of Money 2006 (I think, the version isn't the point here). When I do a new install, I cannot open my existing .mny file. I first create a dummy file, wait for Money to mention it has updates to install, and then install them. Once this is done, I can open my existing file. My problem is this: Five years from now when Money is a distant memory, I may want to install it on a new computer. I fully intend to stick to my retirement plan in Money using Money, and so I see a long, long life for this product on my current and future computers. How, then, can...

Find nth instance of a character in a string
I'm sure I've done this in the past but for the life of me I can't remember it now. Say I have a string "http://www.theexceladdict.com/tutorials.htm" in cell A1. I want to determine the position of the last "/" (forward slash). The strings won't always contain the same # of "/"s. I need to be able to do this as a formula and also in VBA code. I appreciate your help. -- Have a great day, Francis Hayes (The Excel Addict) http://www.TheExcelAddict.com Helping Average Spreadsheet Users Become Local Spreadsheet Experts If you want to extract ...

How do I determine default instance vs. named instance install?
I need to determine the status of a server built by another Admin before he left the company. One of my tasks is to determine if the SQL 2005 workgroup SQL was installed as a default instance or a named instance. Can someone either tell me how or direct me to a document please. Thank you. Bo (Bo@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > I need to determine the status of a server built by another Admin before > he left the company. One of my tasks is to determine if the SQL 2005 > workgroup SQL was installed as a default instance or a named instance. > Can someone either...

how do i get excel to show mm/yy
How do i get excel to show mm/yy in Funcation bar like it does in the cell instead of the mm/dd/yy and I know it can be done I have seen it done in 2000 ver I just dont remember how to do It, PLEASE help me out. before entering any data, format the cell as text. Then, for example, if you enter 11/05, that's what will appear in both the cell and the function bar. -- Gary's Student "Beenthere12" wrote: > How do i get excel to show mm/yy in Funcation bar like it does in the cell > instead of the mm/dd/yy and I know it can be done I have seen it done in > 200...

automatically update the pivot table
I am using excel 2003 How can I update the pivot table automatically when I open the workboolk ? Thanks -- eva cheng eva... you can try with this link http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=80 "eva cheng" wrote: > I am using excel 2003 > > How can I update the pivot table automatically when I open the workboolk ? > > Thanks > -- > eva cheng eva cheng wrote: >I am using excel 2003 > >How can I update the pivot table automatically when I open the workboolk ? > >Thanks Pivot Table Options> Da...

change background-color depending on cell-content
Hello, There is one cell per row which can have six different contents. Depending on what there is chosen, I like to change the background-color from different cells in the same row. How can I do that? Is it possible without VBA? Please help me! Hi, Have you tried to use the "Conditional formating" In the menu select Format->Conditional Formating PS: I have a portuguese version so I don't know if the terms in english are those I mention, but they must be similar. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >There is one cell per row which can have six differen...

Can't get the proper display of a field in my report.
I have 2 tables, both using autonumbers for their primary key. The first table is for contacts (i.e. last name, first name, etc.). The second table is for businesses (business name, etc.) I have a field in my contacts table that has a number format so it can be used as a foreign key for the business table. I then set up the relationship between them & enforced referential integrity. When I run a query, I see the name of the business (after setting up a combo box) - no problem. When I run a report based on that query, a number is displayed (not the business name). Suggestions, pleas...

Get the full xpath of a XmlNode
How do I get the Xpath of a XmlNode? "Aaron" <am9394@gmail.com> wrote in message news:37664e92.0412021708.2d11d830@posting.google.com... > How do I get the Xpath of a XmlNode? http://www.topxml.com/code/default.asp?p=3&id=v20010323001030 ...

Avoid sorting fields when update from external database
Hi. I have a privottable in my Excel 2007. Data comes from a view in my sql-database on a server. When I connect or update the fields are shown in alfabetic order in the pivottable, not in the order used in the source. The order in the source-view is more logical for the users. Can I keep that order in my pivottable ? Regards Peter On 25 Nov., 11:52, Peter <pgrandj...@jubiimail.dk> wrote: > Peter I found the solution. There is a checkfield in the PivotTable Option Box. !! Sorry. Peter ...

getting a message that auto recovery is postponed?
Message says AutoRecovery postponed for <file>. AutoRecovery box is checked in Word Options. Running Windows 7 and Word 2007. ...

Excel will not change cell border colours
I can change the border patterns using format-cells but when I try to change the colours excel will not do so but reverts to "Automatic", any ideas please? Gren ...

I cannot read forwarded messages. I only get an email address
For some reason, when someone forwards a message to me all that shows up is the email address of the person who originally sent the message. Any ideas? Change your View>Encoding setting. "Michelle10000" wrote: > For some reason, when someone forwards a message to me all that shows up is > the email address of the person who originally sent the message. Any ideas? ...

Change activity vies on account
Hi. On the account, the defauls views on "Activity" is open activities, and "History" for closed activities. A client wants the view to be change: He wants to views all actities by default. (open and closed, and without the "next 30 days filter). Is that posible? The filters on assosiated views for activities on account can not be edited, as I can see? Regards Jacob Mondrup Vivant Hi Jacob, The answer to your question can be found at: http://mscrm4ever.blogspot.com/2008/07/changing-activity-history-default-view.html Good luck, Ron Wallegie "Jacob ...

Upgrade 9 to 10 only work if update instance, not if new instance
I'm testing a GP 9 to 10 upgraded on a test server. Everything installs; however, GP Utilities will bomb out if I created a new instance when installing 10. There is no error message, it just fails. If I do an update to the 9 instance, it works fine. Why should this make any difference? It's the only thing I'm changing in the two installs. Thanks Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "instance"? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster...

Get rid of "Date: Today" sub-headers from Inbox???
I just installed Outlook 2003. In my Inbox, the email is divided up and organized by these collapsable little sub-headers, such as: Date: Today Date: Yesterday Date: Monday I really want to get rid of these so that my email simply appears as one long list. Can someone help me figure out how to do this? Disable "show in groups." --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.co...

How to get the value of ID columns from older tables?
Hello Community I have several SQL Server tables with ID columns (the property of the columns specify that it "Is Identity Yes"). The tables have many rows but I only want the value of the ID column from a table when the where clause is satisfied. These are "not" newly inserted in fact these rows can be very old and deep within the table. Can anyone tell me how I can extract the value from an Identity column from a table? Thanks Jeff JB wrote: > Hello Community > > I have several SQL Server tables with...

Update
What is Happening? This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums. Why? As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence, mitiga...

OWA
When using Outlook Web Access, some content in received emails, such as graphic images, doesn't show. This seems to be a result of some security setting where OWA is protecting me from myself. Where and how do I reset this so I can see all of the content in my email? Junior wrote: > When using Outlook Web Access, some content in received emails, such as > graphic images, doesn't show. This seems to be a result of some security > setting where OWA is protecting me from myself. Where and how do I reset > this so I can see all of the content in my email? This is on Vis...

How to get cell background color
Hi All How to get cell background color by Formula ? just in A2 input formula to get A1 background color. Excel 2003 moonhkt Use the following UDF: Public Function BColor(r As Range) As Long BColor = r(1).Interior.ColorIndex End Function User Defined Functions (UDFs) are very easy to install and use: 1. ALT-F11 brings up the VBE window 2. ALT-I ALT-M opens a fresh module 3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window If you save the workbook, the UDF will be saved with it. To remove the UDF: 1. bring up the VBE window as above 2. clear the code out 3. close the VBE wi...