How to update multiple stencils when linked with Excel database

I am working on a project that uses multiple stencil files.  I am able to
export to an excel database, and refresh each symbol by dragging to the
drawing, but am wondering how I could update multiple symbols at one time in
the actual stencil file from the excel database?  The ONLY updates I can find
update one at a time and I am needing a quicker way to update my symbols'
custom properties all at once, rather than editing each individual custom
property.  I am using visio 2003 standard.
Is this possible with Visio and excel?
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Do you mean drawings rather than stencils? A stencil is a collection of
shapes. When a drawing is created the shapes are copied from a stencil to a
local stencil that is part of the drawing. It is possible to update the
masters in the local stencil and have all the appearances of those shapes on
the drawings automatically updated.

John...    Visio MVP

Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
"JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am working on a project that uses multiple stencil files.  I am able to
> export to an excel database, and refresh each symbol by dragging to the
> drawing, but am wondering how I could update multiple symbols at one time
> in
> the actual stencil file from the excel database?  The ONLY updates I can
> find
> update one at a time and I am needing a quicker way to update my symbols'
> custom properties all at once, rather than editing each individual custom
> property.  I am using visio 2003 standard.
> Is this possible with Visio and excel?

0
lancucki (505)
6/11/2008 12:18:24 PM
I mean stencils.  What we have is a collection of various symbols with about
11 custom properties field attached.  Several people use these symbols to
design cable systems.  Sometimes, something such as price may change, and we
wanted to be able to go into a spreadsheet, change let's say, 100 symbol's
pricing, then have it automatically update within the stencil file, so future
drawings can pull the symbol with updated information.  It would be so much
quicker to update within a database, rather than going into each master and
editing the cusom properties individually

"John Marshall, MVP" wrote:

> Do you mean drawings rather than stencils? A stencil is a collection of
> shapes. When a drawing is created the shapes are copied from a stencil to a
> local stencil that is part of the drawing. It is possible to update the
> masters in the local stencil and have all the appearances of those shapes on
> the drawings automatically updated.
>
> John...    Visio MVP
>
> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am working on a project that uses multiple stencil files.  I am able to
> > export to an excel database, and refresh each symbol by dragging to the
> > drawing, but am wondering how I could update multiple symbols at one time
> > in
> > the actual stencil file from the excel database?  The ONLY updates I can
> > find
> > update one at a time and I am needing a quicker way to update my symbols'
> > custom properties all at once, rather than editing each individual custom
> > property.  I am using visio 2003 standard.
> > Is this possible with Visio and excel?

you might want to check this out.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140253(office.10).aspx
al
>I mean stencils.  What we have is a collection of various symbols with
>about
> 11 custom properties field attached.  Several people use these symbols to
> design cable systems.  Sometimes, something such as price may change, and
> we
> wanted to be able to go into a spreadsheet, change let's say, 100 symbol's
> pricing, then have it automatically update within the stencil file, so
> future
> drawings can pull the symbol with updated information.  It would be so
> much
> quicker to update within a database, rather than going into each master
> and
> editing the cusom properties individually
>
> "John Marshall, MVP" wrote:
>
>> Do you mean drawings rather than stencils? A stencil is a collection of
>> shapes. When a drawing is created the shapes are copied from a stencil to
>> local stencil that is part of the drawing. It is possible to update the
>> masters in the local stencil and have all the appearances of those shapes
>> on
>> the drawings automatically updated.
>>
>> John...    Visio MVP
>>
>> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
>> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
>> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
>> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am working on a project that uses multiple stencil files.  I am able
>> > export to an excel database, and refresh each symbol by dragging to the
>> > drawing, but am wondering how I could update multiple symbols at one
>> > time
>> > in
>> > the actual stencil file from the excel database?  The ONLY updates I
>> > can
>> > find
>> > update one at a time and I am needing a quicker way to update my
>> > symbols'
>> > custom properties all at once, rather than editing each individual
>> > custom
>> > property.  I am using visio 2003 standard.
>> > Is this possible with Visio and excel?

0
edlund1 (616)
6/11/2008 4:45:08 PM
Al, that is a broken link.

John...    Visio MVP

"AlEdlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> you might want to check this out.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140253(office.10).aspx
> al
> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I mean stencils.  What we have is a collection of various symbols with
>>about
>> 11 custom properties field attached.  Several people use these symbols to
>> design cable systems.  Sometimes, something such as price may change, and
>> we
>> wanted to be able to go into a spreadsheet, change let's say, 100
>> symbol's
>> pricing, then have it automatically update within the stencil file, so
>> future
>> drawings can pull the symbol with updated information.  It would be so
>> much
>> quicker to update within a database, rather than going into each master
>> and
>> editing the cusom properties individually
>>
>> "John Marshall, MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Do you mean drawings rather than stencils? A stencil is a collection of
>>> shapes. When a drawing is created the shapes are copied from a stencil
>>> to a
>>> local stencil that is part of the drawing. It is possible to update the
>>> masters in the local stencil and have all the appearances of those
>>> shapes on
>>> the drawings automatically updated.
>>>
>>> John...    Visio MVP
>>>
>>> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
>>> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
>>> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
>>> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
lancucki (505)
6/12/2008 12:41:17 AM
So I guess one key feature is that you do not want already created drawings
to update to the new prices.

So it is possible to search a stencil and change the value of a custom
property. You can write code that loops through all stencils in a directory,
find all shapes using a specific custom property and then update that value
from a data source line Excel or Access.

John...    Visio MVP

Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
"JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I mean stencils.  What we have is a collection of various symbols with
>about
> 11 custom properties field attached.  Several people use these symbols to
> design cable systems.  Sometimes, something such as price may change, and
> we
> wanted to be able to go into a spreadsheet, change let's say, 100 symbol's
> pricing, then have it automatically update within the stencil file, so
> future
> drawings can pull the symbol with updated information.  It would be so
> much
> quicker to update within a database, rather than going into each master
> and
> editing the cusom properties individually
>
> "John Marshall, MVP" wrote:
>
>> Do you mean drawings rather than stencils? A stencil is a collection of
>> shapes. When a drawing is created the shapes are copied from a stencil to
>> local stencil that is part of the drawing. It is possible to update the
>> masters in the local stencil and have all the appearances of those shapes
>> on
>> the drawings automatically updated.
>>
>> John...    Visio MVP
>>
>> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
>> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
>> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
>> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am working on a project that uses multiple stencil files.  I am able
>> > export to an excel database, and refresh each symbol by dragging to the
>> > drawing, but am wondering how I could update multiple symbols at one
>> > time
>> > in
>> > the actual stencil file from the excel database?  The ONLY updates I
>> > can
>> > find
>> > update one at a time and I am needing a quicker way to update my
>> > symbols'
>> > custom properties all at once, rather than editing each individual
>> > custom
>> > property.  I am using visio 2003 standard.
>> > Is this possible with Visio and excel?

0
lancucki (505)
6/12/2008 1:03:51 AM
John,
I just tried it and it works from here ? In any case it's the network demo
from msdn library (office development) that shows how to do the database
lookup for BOM.

Visio 2000 Technical Articles
Custom Visio Solution: Network Configuration Example (Visio, Access, and
Excel Integration)

al

"John Marshall, MVP" <lancucki@stonehenge.ca> wrote in message
> Al, that is a broken link.
>
> John...    Visio MVP
>
> "AlEdlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> you might want to check this out.
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140253(office.10).aspx
>> al
>> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I mean stencils.  What we have is a collection of various symbols with
>>>about
>>> 11 custom properties field attached.  Several people use these symbols
>>> design cable systems.  Sometimes, something such as price may change,
>>> and we
>>> wanted to be able to go into a spreadsheet, change let's say, 100
>>> symbol's
>>> pricing, then have it automatically update within the stencil file, so
>>> future
>>> drawings can pull the symbol with updated information.  It would be so
>>> much
>>> quicker to update within a database, rather than going into each master
>>> and
>>> editing the cusom properties individually

0
edlund1 (616)
6/12/2008 1:31:32 AM
So what would be the best resource for writing codes for my situation?

"John Marshall, MVP" wrote:

> So I guess one key feature is that you do not want already created drawings
> to update to the new prices.
>
> So it is possible to search a stencil and change the value of a custom
> property. You can write code that loops through all stencils in a directory,
> find all shapes using a specific custom property and then update that value
> from a data source line Excel or Access.
>
> John...    Visio MVP
>
> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I mean stencils.  What we have is a collection of various symbols with
> >about
> > 11 custom properties field attached.  Several people use these symbols to
> > design cable systems.  Sometimes, something such as price may change, and
> > we
> > wanted to be able to go into a spreadsheet, change let's say, 100 symbol's
> > pricing, then have it automatically update within the stencil file, so
> > future
> > drawings can pull the symbol with updated information.  It would be so
> > much
> > quicker to update within a database, rather than going into each master
> > and
> > editing the cusom properties individually
> >
> > "John Marshall, MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you mean drawings rather than stencils? A stencil is a collection of
> >> shapes. When a drawing is created the shapes are copied from a stencil to
> >> local stencil that is part of the drawing. It is possible to update the
> >> masters in the local stencil and have all the appearances of those shapes
> >> on
> >> the drawings automatically updated.
> >>
> >> John...    Visio MVP
> >>
> >> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
> >> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
> >> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
> >> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It keeps sending me to

Is it possible that you have that page cached on your machine?

> John,
> I just tried it and it works from here ? In any case it's the network demo
> from msdn library (office development) that shows how to do the database
> lookup for BOM.
>
> Visio 2000 Technical Articles
> Custom Visio Solution: Network Configuration Example (Visio, Access, and
> Excel Integration)
>
> al
>

> "John Marshall, MVP" <lancucki@stonehenge.ca> wrote in message
>> Al, that is a broken link.
>>
>> John...    Visio MVP
>>
>> "AlEdlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>>> you might want to check this out.
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140253(office.10).aspx
>>> al
>>> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
lancucki (505)
6/12/2008 11:49:33 AM
Give me a few days and I will crank one out. It is not a lot of code, it is
just a problem finding the time.

So basically you want something to change the value of a custom property of
a certain name to a new value in all the stencils of a directory.

> So what would be the best resource for writing codes for my situation?
>
> "John Marshall, MVP" wrote:
>

>> So I guess one key feature is that you do not want already created
>> drawings
>> to update to the new prices.
>>
>> So it is possible to search a stencil and change the value of a custom
>> property. You can write code that loops through all stencils in a
>> directory,
>> find all shapes using a specific custom property and then update that
>> value
>> from a data source line Excel or Access.
>>
>> John...    Visio MVP
>>
>> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
>> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
>> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
>> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I mean stencils.  What we have is a collection of various symbols with
>> >about
>> > 11 custom properties field attached.  Several people use these symbols
>> > design cable systems.  Sometimes, something such as price may change,
>> > and
>> > we
>> > wanted to be able to go into a spreadsheet, change let's say, 100
>> > symbol's
>> > pricing, then have it automatically update within the stencil file, so
>> > future
>> > drawings can pull the symbol with updated information.  It would be so
>> > much
>> > quicker to update within a database, rather than going into each master
>> > and
>> > editing the cusom properties individually

0
lancucki (505)
6/12/2008 11:51:51 AM
Just cleared the cache and it still works here. I'm at ie7. If you add the
missing characters does it still go to the wrong url?

> It keeps sending me to
>
> Is it possible that you have that page cached on your machine?
>
> John...    Visio MVP
>
> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
> "AlEdlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> John,
>> I just tried it and it works from here ? In any case it's the network
>> demo from msdn library (office development) that shows how to do the
>> database lookup for BOM.
>>
>> Visio 2000 Technical Articles
>> Custom Visio Solution: Network Configuration Example (Visio, Access, and
>> Excel Integration)
>>
>> al
>>

>> "John Marshall, MVP" <lancucki@stonehenge.ca> wrote in message
>>> Al, that is a broken link.
>>>
>>> John...    Visio MVP
>>>
>>> "AlEdlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message

0
edlund1 (616)
6/12/2008 12:46:19 PM
What I need more than anything for this project is a code to go in and delete
the "List Price" and the "Discount Code" fields for every single stencil in
the directory.  I think linking the database to the stencils works okay for
me going in and changing information, b/c the information varies per stencil
(descriptions, model numbers, etc.)

"John Marshall, MVP" wrote:

> Give me a few days and I will crank one out. It is not a lot of code, it is
> just a problem finding the time.
>
> So basically you want something to change the value of a custom property of
> a certain name to a new value in all the stencils of a directory.
>
> John...    Visio MVP
>
> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So what would be the best resource for writing codes for my situation?
> >
> > "John Marshall, MVP" wrote:
> >

> >> So I guess one key feature is that you do not want already created
> >> drawings
> >> to update to the new prices.
> >>
> >> So it is possible to search a stencil and change the value of a custom
> >> property. You can write code that loops through all stencils in a
> >> directory,
> >> find all shapes using a specific custom property and then update that
> >> value
> >> from a data source line Excel or Access.
> >>
> >> John...    Visio MVP
> >>
> >> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
> >> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
> >> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
> >> "JessicaRose" <JessicaRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Wierd, if I click on it. I get the wrong page, but if I cut and paste it
works. Maybe it is a Canadian thing.

> Just cleared the cache and it still works here. I'm at ie7. If you add the
> missing characters does it still go to the wrong url?
> al
>
> "John Marshall, MVP" <lancucki@stonehenge.ca> wrote in message
>> It keeps sending me to
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms123402.aspx
>>
>> Is it possible that you have that page cached on your machine?
>>
>> John...    Visio MVP
>>
>> Need stencils or ideas? http://visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm
>> Need VBA examples?   http://visio.mvps.org/VBA.htm
>> Visio Wishlist       http://visio.mvps.org/wish_list.htm
>> "AlEdlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>>> John,
>>> I just tried it and it works from here ? In any case it's the network
>>> demo from msdn library (office development) that shows how to do the
>>> database lookup for BOM.
>>>
>>> Visio 2000 Technical Articles
>>> Custom Visio Solution: Network Configuration Example (Visio, Access, and
>>> Excel Integration)
>>>
>>> al
>>>

>>> "John Marshall, MVP" <lancucki@stonehenge.ca> wrote in message

0
lancucki (505)

Problem with Script Updating

Publishing excel Speadsheet to web page
I have a sheet that I am publishing it to a web page. Most sheets come out to a 40K file except 1. This one publishes to a size of 2.5mb. All sheets have hyperlinked data but the one that gives me the largest file has the least data and hyperlinks. Any suggestions? Thank you Chris Your usedrange is to big Chris on that sheet Debra Dalgleish's site http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Chris" <chrispknight@aol.com> wrote in message news:dfd501c3f0c0$9b5fcdc0$a101280a@phx.gbl... ...

how to run multiple macro's at once
Hello, I have 350 separate macro's, how do I get them to run in successive order, other then having to click on each individually? Is there a way to 'link' them all together? Thanks, Roxane You can write a macro that in turn calls the other macros. E.g., Sub RunThemAll() Macro1 Macro2 '... End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Roxane" <Roxane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44732365-A840-4C5D-9025-D4B90AEEB887@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > ...

Update for MS Money 2005?

Why do I have a runaway cursor in Excel
About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003 Hi Peter99, > About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on > a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill > the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003 See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt for a host of possible causes. Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP www.jk...

Excel 2010 Slicer Connection / Pivot Table Problem
Working in Excel 2010 beta. I have two pivot tables created from different SSAS cubes. I have PowerPivot add in installed, but not using it for this project. The two pivot tables both share several similar dimensions. When I try to connect a given slicer to both pivot tables, the 2nd pivot table is not available in the "Pivot Table Connections" window. The only pivot table listed in the "Pivot Table Connections" is the one for which the slicer was originally created. All of the posts I've seen so far say that all the pivot tables in the workbook should appear...

Multiple date select calender
I need a calender for MFC in which i can select multiple dates similar to what is there in calender of outlook 2003. Also I need the functionality to be able to select the days i.e. sunday, monday, etc. Is there some activex available freely which i can use. Or is it possible to achieve the same by subclassing the existing CMonthCalCtrl in MFC. Please guide me. Thanks in Anticipation Software Engineer wrote: > I need a calender for MFC in which i can select multiple dates similar to > what is there in calender of outlook 2003. Also I need the functionality to > be able to sel...

MSWORD to EXCEL
How do I import and retain formatting from MSWord into an Excel document so that the data does not come into excel as an object, but will paste into the cells/columns correctly? If you have a table in Word, it will copy and paste into the spreadsheet, but not sure how to keep the formatting, font, etc. ...

How can I pre format all Excel comments
How can I pre format all Excel comments to Tahoma, font size 12, in BOLD, in all workbooks and worksheets as my default. You have multiple responses in .misc. MongoMan wrote: > > How can I pre format all Excel comments to Tahoma, font size 12, in BOLD, in > all workbooks and worksheets as my default. -- Dave Peterson ...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Timesheet efforts are getting under project server database
Iam entering timesheet for one period but my database project server reporting is not reflecting any efforts that i have entered?? but for some periods it is enering Thank you This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0118_01CA750B.B6AF43F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi krishna, Try posting on the microsoft.public.project.server newsgroup (forum). = Please see FAQ Item: 24. Project Newsgroups. FAQs, companion products = and other useful Project information can be seen a...

Australian date format in Excel 2000
We have recently upgraded MSOffice97 to MSOffice2000. In Excel2000 I find that I cannot set the date format to the Australian date format, even though the Windows regional setting is set to English(Australian). How can you format cells to Australian date format? ---------- Brian Jones Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College Bentleigh Victoria Australia Hi Brian, Highlight the cells yo wish yto format, then; Format/Cells/Date then choose the format that suits your requirements. Cheers, Ken Russell kenrussellyourhat@optushome.com.au Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail .. "Brian Jones&q...

Multiple reply templates
I am trying to create multiple templates to be used to reply to differing e-mails. I created my first template and then used my rules setup to automatically use it to reply to a received e-mail. I then thought that I created three additional templates for three other rules, but when I try to set up the rules, the new templates do not show up. Anyone have an idea why this might be happening? Where did you save the template files? Or are these "have server reply" rules? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrato...

Update question

Wildcards in Excel Formulas
I am working on an Excel spreadsheet and I am tyring to write a formula to read the 4th character of previously entered data For instance, codes entered in column A could be eadSvf1 and eadNvf1. I need a formula to read that 4th character and put a 1 or 2 in column B depending on if the 4th character is an S or an N Hope that made sense and thanks in advance. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ got it, thanks anyway, I ended up using the MID function ...

Excel cells changes number format automatically
I am using Excel 2007. Many of the cells I am working on are in general format where I store various numbers for analysis. These values change itself to date format occassionally creating whole lot of work for me to change them back to general format. How can I solve this issue? Also in my pivot table, my source data is in general format. Still when I click on sub total in any catagory in the table to find details about it, formats are changed date format in the new sheet it pops up. Can someone help resolve this issue. ...

Linking Workbooks and minimising file sizes
Spec: presently have a "user" workbook of about 70 worksheets. this will be sent to managers. Am trying to make a Rough Work worksheet which will contain all raw data needed for calculations in the "user" workbook. I dont want the managers to see/receive the "Rough Work" file. E.G. Monthly figs in rough work sheet are used to calculated "% of work acheived this year" in the user workbook. Problem: 1) how do i link the data AND keep file size down?? 2) how can i split up the "user" workbook into manageable chunks which can, for example...

How update entity in post update?

Excel 2003 -- Problem selecting link range within an autoshape.
In a multitab worksheet, we have a rectangluar autoshape on each sheet. The rectangluar shapes are not moved or resized with cells. The shapes are set to no fill. On any sheet, if you want to select a range within the rectangle on that sheet, there is no problem. But if you want to link from one sheet to another -- i.e type = for a cell's contents and then go to another sheet to select a cell or cells -- you are not permitted to select a cell within that other sheet's autoshape. One may select a range that overlaps the autoshape, however. One can also manually enter the range,...

help needed with excel 97
I need help with a problem that I'm having. I've got about 300 sheets i my excel workbook. I need to copy the data from cell B5 on ever sheet,into a new sheet. What can I do -- sithlord3 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sithlord3k's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2751 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47025 Copy to where? You may want to try something like this: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/sum_the_same_cell_in_multiple_microsoft_excel_worksheets.htm *******...

latest update too MSCFV2