How to edit a copy of a built-in shape?

I need to make a new stencil containing some custom shapes for digital
logic. I am able to copy an existing figure (Amplifier shape from Analog
and Digital Logic) into my own stencil and select Edit Master>Edit
Master Shape. When trying to edit the shape (either ungroup or delete
sth) I get a message "Shape protection, container, and/or layer
properties prevent complete execution of this command". I deselected all
checkboxes in Protection window while the original shape was selected.
However, the issue still persist. How do I edit a copied shape?

I've done that in Visio 2007 and 2010 Beta, in both cases the same result.

Thanks!
0
junk9315 (2)
2/13/2010 4:03:49 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:03:49 +0100, XYZ <junk@mail.bin> wrote:

>I need to make a new stencil containing some custom shapes for digital
>logic. I am able to copy an existing figure (Amplifier shape from Analog
>and Digital Logic) into my own stencil and select Edit Master>Edit
>Master Shape. When trying to edit the shape (either ungroup or delete
>sth) I get a message "Shape protection, container, and/or layer
>properties prevent complete execution of this command". I deselected all
>checkboxes in Protection window while the original shape was selected.
>However, the issue still persist. How do I edit a copied shape?
>
>I've done that in Visio 2007 and 2010 Beta, in both cases the same result.

First of all, you don't want to ungroup the shape, that could make the whole shape fall
apart.
You've copied the shape to a new stencil - fine.
Select the main shape, menu Window -> Show Shapesheet
In the Protection section you need to set LockGroup to 0.

Editing the shape, you'll notice that there is a Master Explorer window.
That is your route into exploring the shape. Expand the Shapes section, carry on down
until you get a list of parts, yes, there are 16 of them.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio          http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-electronics/

Copying Between Databases Without Linked Servers?
I have a SQL Server 2005 machine called "Dest" and a 2008 machine called "Source" and a 2008 machine called "Console". Each has the same SQL account with appropriate permissions and rights on all 3 to do anything. Without using a linked server, how can I sit at "Console" and execute a "select into" fromthe "Source" database to the "Dest" database? Thanks. "SnapDive" <SnapDive@community.nospam> wrote in message news:qcurk5dp3cem0l63d19io59nemtjv88534@4ax.com... >I have a SQL Server 200...

editting auto recovery

BOM & Edit List

Printing multi copies
I want to print 2 pages per sheet of paper. I have selected Multiple pages per sheet. I indicate that pages I want and preview if find for one copy. If I then indicate that I want 10 copies of the Multiple Pages, then the preview reverts to two pages of the same page. It just duplicates one page twice and I lost the second (different) page I want. This is a printer issue. I've tried to duplicate this, but I cannot with my printer. Might try converting to PDF and then printing. There are free converters around. www.primopdf.com is mentioned here often. -- Mary Sauer http://msau...

Copy-Paste Value based on user defined range
Hello, I am trying to create an option such that, the user can input a default value in one cell, enter a start year, and the number of years he wants to assign this value for. Ex. A B C 1 Value Start Year # of Years 2 500 2005 5 Apply 500 starting in 2005 for the next five years including 2005. I am working in Excel2000. Thanks for your help ...

trouble copying and pasting
After working up a good workbook, with column sizes changed and margins changed and page breaks changed, I tried to then copy and paste it into sheet 2, however, all the formatting I changed, was changed back to the default excel settings. My question is how do I copy and paste so that all my formatting remains intact? Windows 98 se, excel 2000 Ian Ian - In order to copy the column widths, you need to copy the entire column before pasting. I don't think you can copy margins and page breaks. Can you make a copy of the whole sheet, then paste the new data into the copied sheet? - ...

Editing
Hi! Could you please tell me how to remove a linked transaction within the budget planner. For example, I have a double entry under the debt category. ...

Macro to edit details
Hi, i am currently trying to create a macro regarding editing staf details on a worksheet....... therefore i recorded a macro and named it editstafflist, i highlighte my headings...and then went to 'data > form' and then had to close th form and then stop my macro. It wouldnt allow me to stop my macr whilst the dialogue box was open. Anyways after stopping the macro drew out a button and assigned this 'editstafflist' macro to it. saved my sheet and then clicked on the button, but a error '1004' kep occuring, can anyone please help me on this as i am rather stuck ...

editing a drop down #2
that's not one of my choices. -- kateweb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kateweb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16301 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276931 what do you mean by this .. is it greyed out on the toolbar or shows "any value"? if you'ld like to tell me where you downloaded it from i can go have a look at it cheers JulieD "kateweb" <kateweb.1fictb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kateweb.1fictb@excelfor...

Copy Exchange Contacts/Calendar to Office Outlook 2003
I want to cpy all of the contacts and calendar items from exchange to a local pst file. I figured how to dio this with mail but I am missing something. Thanks! ...

Cannot Copy/Paste to some programs
I am using XP Home Edition and Word 2003 and Firefox browser. I find that, even though I can copy/pate between word.docs I cannot copy/paste to a Moonfruit website that I am building. I am in touch with moonfruit and it has them baffled. They are able to copy/paste to my website with no problem. I also find I cannot copy/Paste URLs from Firefox to IE browser. Any ideas? Thanks On 5 June, 15:45, Merryterry <ter...@fsmail.net> wrote: > I am using XP Home Edition and Word 2003 and Firefox browser. > > I find that, even though I can copy/pate between word.docs I ...

Need to Prevent a protected sheet from being copied?!?
I have a spread sheet that contains sensitive pricing details not to b viewed by the users, but needed due to being referenced in variou equations. This file is to be used by multiple persons who will get this vi email, and then enter data into unlocked cells in order to get a fina 'price'. I have protected both the sheets and the workbook. BUT I can still hilight and copy individual protected sheets and the paste them into a new workbook at which point it is completel unprotected. Ultimately I need to email this to others. Is there a way to prevent this copying and pasting? Thanks...

Pulisher 2003: copy pages from doc1 to doc2
Hi, To set the scene: e.g. in Powerpoint, you can copy a selection of slides from document 1 and paste to document 2 (slide sorter view) We need to do same in Publisher 2003. Have 2 documents, need to copy a series of pages from one current document into another current document. How the heck do you do that, without creating a whole series of blank pages and copying those sections across (which would be a big pain!) ; surely there is an easy-as-powerpoint solution to this? many thanks! You can open two documents in Publisher, tile them, drag and drop. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://o...

year changes when copied from one workbook to another #2
I receive a file from one department and copy the information into another file. When I do this the date changes. It adds one day and four years to the date. The options has the 1904 date system selected. When I turn this off the dates come in correctly but the rest of my dates in the worksheet change. What can I do? Hi Pgarbarini Use -1462 in the date cell after the date -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Pgarbarini" <Pgarbarini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1490189-D3CC-447A-8ADA-BC6E193D977F@microsoft.com... >I receive a f...

Duplicate Copies
I am running Outlook 2002 on Microsoft XP Home. When I open Outlook it downloads up to 20 copies of each e-mail from my pop3 account. I have run repair from Help, and uninstalled / reinstalled Outlook. But this problem continues, and I really need some help. Thanks in advance, Dan S G'Day Dan, Check that:- Tools>Options Mail setup (tab) Email Accounts (button) Next (button) Change (button) More settings (button) Advanced (tab) Delivery (section(lower)) ...

Code to copy worksheet
Hi I'm sorry in advance - I'm a novice and I am stuck with re-writing the following code without using a hard code worksheet name, or "current worksheet" or "active worksheet" or "selection"... (I must avoid using these words as they are apparently causing problems macros assigned to buttons) The code needs to: - make a copy of the current worksheet - whose name appears in cell BP8 - put the copy into a separate workbook - select the named range "PlanCPTrange" on the copied worksheet (only) and paste special as values - select al...

Setting caret in edit control & activating it.
Hello Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an edit control ? Nicholas Take a look at the CEdit::SetSel() member function. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Nicholas Kingsley" <nickk@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message news:3f9d418a$0$106$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > Hello > > Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an > edit control ? > > Nicholas > > If you are asking how to create & use your own caret in an edit control then check...

Data collection Form Edit
We have a form which will be used almost daily, for data collection, based on a query. During the test we found a typo in one of the field labels where a brief description is included. Is there some way to edit the form? (recreating it with all the custom lables is just too long a task). Another issue on this topic, every time the form is sent, the messge reverts to the default "Please fill out the form and retunr it to me". Can this default message be changed? Nothing in the help functions. Any advice, or deirection to a learning resource will be appreciated. Thanks is adva...

Allow users to copy text from articles
As far as I can tell, there is no way to select and copy text from a knowledge base article.* I've run into 2 situations so far this morning where that would've been useful. Linda *OK, I could unpublish it, then copy the text, or e-mail it to myself... ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click...

Why do my Office 2007 programs automatically copy my data?
A few days ago, Outlook, Word, Excel and OneNote started automatically and erroneously copying data from within the programs. For example, in Excel different cells will appear as "copied" even though I only selected them. Also when I exit Outlook, I am asked whether I want to keep the many data on the clipboard available to other programs. I have been running Office 2007 SP2 on Vista Home Basic SP2 without problems for several months. However I started actually using OneNote, which was already installed, at the same time as the onset of this problem. Copying items ca...

"Windows PowerShell Cookbook" by Lee Holmes second edition draft available for viewing and comments
O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and comments at http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ - Larry In message <exi7SKRyKHA.2552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Larry__Weiss <lfw@airmail.net> writes >O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition >of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and >comments at > > http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ > > - Larry > Aw...