How can I save Visio as Word to allow an edit in Word?

I have several flow diagrams that my national director wants saved in Word
format so she can "play" with them.   No matter the format I choose to save
the files, no matter the times I save with a different file extension, the
page always opens in Visio.  Is there any way to save the files to allow
editing in Word?  I really don't want to have to do these all over again.

And no, she has no intention of learning how to use Visio.

Thanks!
0
Mollyb (3)
8/11/2006 7:40:02 PM
visio 3638 articles. 1 followers. Follow

unfortunately her desire to edit them in word will go unfulfilled.
al

"Mollyb" <Mollyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have several flow diagrams that my national director wants saved in Word
> format so she can "play" with them.   No matter the format I choose to
> save
> the files, no matter the times I save with a different file extension, the
> page always opens in Visio.  Is there any way to save the files to allow
> editing in Word?  I really don't want to have to do these all over again.
>
> And no, she has no intention of learning how to use Visio.
>
> Thanks!

0
edlund1 (616)
8/11/2006 9:31:13 PM
You could probably save your drawing as a metafile (*.wmf)

The graphic could be inserted into Word, and probably manipulated by Office
Draw Drawing Canvas or whatever that applet is called. But the drawing will
lose all of it's smart (connectors, etc), and will no longer be linked to
Visio.

--
Hope this helps,

Chris Roth
Visio MVP

www.wanderkind.com/visio

"Mollyb" <Mollyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have several flow diagrams that my national director wants saved in Word
> format so she can "play" with them.   No matter the format I choose to
> save
> the files, no matter the times I save with a different file extension, the
> page always opens in Visio.  Is there any way to save the files to allow
> editing in Word?  I really don't want to have to do these all over again.
>
> And no, she has no intention of learning how to use Visio.
>
> Thanks!

0
Chris
8/14/2006 1:31:50 PM
That's what I was afraid of.  But thank you anyway.

"Al Edlund" wrote:

> unfortunately her desire to edit them in word will go unfulfilled.
> al
>
> "Mollyb" <Mollyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have several flow diagrams that my national director wants saved in Word
> > format so she can "play" with them.   No matter the format I choose to
> > save
> > the files, no matter the times I save with a different file extension, the
> > page always opens in Visio.  Is there any way to save the files to allow
> > editing in Word?  I really don't want to have to do these all over again.
> >
> > And no, she has no intention of learning how to use Visio.
> >
> > Thanks!

0
Mollyb (3)
8/15/2006 8:38:01 PM
I may try that and see what kind of response I get.  If she can play with it,
I can always take what she ends up with and re-type it into Visio.

"Chris Roth [MVP]" wrote:

> You could probably save your drawing as a metafile (*.wmf)
>
> The graphic could be inserted into Word, and probably manipulated by Office
> Draw Drawing Canvas or whatever that applet is called. But the drawing will
> lose all of it's smart (connectors, etc), and will no longer be linked to
> Visio.
>

> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Chris Roth
> Visio MVP
>
> www.wanderkind.com/visio
>

> "Mollyb" <Mollyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have several flow diagrams that my national director wants saved in Word
> > format so she can "play" with them.   No matter the format I choose to
> > save
> > the files, no matter the times I save with a different file extension, the
> > page always opens in Visio.  Is there any way to save the files to allow
> > editing in Word?  I really don't want to have to do these all over again.
> >
> > And no, she has no intention of learning how to use Visio.
> >
> > Thanks!

0
Mollyb (3)
8/15/2006 8:40:02 PM
Not sure I see the issue....I repeatedly edit a visio drawing in a word
document from within word.
   - open word...go to drawing
   - select the drawing
   - right click
   - cursor over visio
   - open (edit is ok...but open is more complete)
   - edit drawing  (changes...or I have even selected shapes and copy paste
     to other visio drawings or even word docs)
   - when finish  file==>close and return to word
   - voila

I even go in through word to an intelligent visio drawing (custom properties
drop down)...made changes in custom that changed the drawing (color on value,
isometric x,y,z dimensions, etc) then file==>close and return

Here is where I have problems.
   Say for example the visio drawing is full page...but I want to scale to
fit in word.
   I copy paste...then right click image...set size and orientation - center
etc...the
   exit(ok).  The problem is that when working specs and such, may have lots
of
   these types of drawings and having to do them all the time.  It would be
good if
   there was some way to automate (aka use a default...all drawings to 50%,
   center, etc)...especially when the paste clearly sees the drawing is way
way too
   wide for the page

Any comments guys?  thanks much.

"Mollyb" wrote:

> I may try that and see what kind of response I get.  If she can play with it,
> I can always take what she ends up with and re-type it into Visio.
>
> "Chris Roth [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > You could probably save your drawing as a metafile (*.wmf)
> >
> > The graphic could be inserted into Word, and probably manipulated by Office
> > Draw Drawing Canvas or whatever that applet is called. But the drawing will
> > lose all of it's smart (connectors, etc), and will no longer be linked to
> > Visio.
> >

> > --
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Chris Roth
> > Visio MVP
> >
> > www.wanderkind.com/visio
> >

> > "Mollyb" <Mollyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have several flow diagrams that my national director wants saved in Word
> > > format so she can "play" with them.   No matter the format I choose to
> > > save
> > > the files, no matter the times I save with a different file extension, the
> > > page always opens in Visio.  Is there any way to save the files to allow
> > > editing in Word?  I really don't want to have to do these all over again.
> > >
> > > And no, she has no intention of learning how to use Visio.
> > >
> > > Thanks!

0
vojo (16)
8/23/2006 5:27:01 PM
uninstall visio and see how well it works :-)
al

"vojo" <vojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure I see the issue....I repeatedly edit a visio drawing in a word
> document from within word.
>   - open word...go to drawing
>   - select the drawing
>   - right click
>   - cursor over visio
>   - open (edit is ok...but open is more complete)
>   - edit drawing  (changes...or I have even selected shapes and copy paste
>     to other visio drawings or even word docs)
>   - when finish  file==>close and return to word
>   - voila
>
> I even go in through word to an intelligent visio drawing (custom
> properties
> drop down)...made changes in custom that changed the drawing (color on
> value,
> isometric x,y,z dimensions, etc) then file==>close and return
>
> Here is where I have problems.
>   Say for example the visio drawing is full page...but I want to scale to
> fit in word.
>   I copy paste...then right click image...set size and orientation -
> center
> etc...the
>   exit(ok).  The problem is that when working specs and such, may have
> lots
> of
>   these types of drawings and having to do them all the time.  It would be
> good if
>   there was some way to automate (aka use a default...all drawings to 50%,
>   center, etc)...especially when the paste clearly sees the drawing is way
> way too
>   wide for the page
>
> Any comments guys?  thanks much.
>
> "Mollyb" wrote:
>
>> I may try that and see what kind of response I get.  If she can play with
>> it,
>> I can always take what she ends up with and re-type it into Visio.
>>
>> "Chris Roth [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > You could probably save your drawing as a metafile (*.wmf)
>> >
>> > The graphic could be inserted into Word, and probably manipulated by
>> > Office
>> > Draw Drawing Canvas or whatever that applet is called. But the drawing
>> > will
>> > lose all of it's smart (connectors, etc), and will no longer be linked
>> > Visio.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Hope this helps,
>> >
>> > Chris Roth
>> > Visio MVP
>> >
>> > www.wanderkind.com/visio
>> >

>> > "Mollyb" <Mollyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
edlund1 (616)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Setup.exe return the error 'not a valid WIN32 file'. (Can not install) What gives???? ...

Bulk attachments

Can Not Reply To Emails

Problem at "Save as"
Hi, I'm having a problem at excel that i don't have on other computers: when i click save as, i would like, as usual, that on the file name window, apeared only the current file name, and not "copy from "filename"". Can you help me, removing this annoying feature? Thanks Cako It probably says "Copy of" and that would be because the file you're trying to save was opened "read only". (You would see that in the title bar). You'll have to figure out why that was but it might be that the file has its "read only" file attrib...

Can't delete email #2

backtick saving bug
Description: Internet Explorer 8 Save To Disk damages documents with backticks in attribute values. Steps to reproduce: 1. Create a HTML document containing the code <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT VALUE="`" DISABLED > 2. Open the document in Microsoft Internet Explorer. 3. Tell Microsoft Internet Explorer to save the document to disk as bare HTML using ISO encoding. 4. Open the saved document in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Expected result: 4. The saved page should display the same content as the original page. Actual result: 4. The saved page displays...

How can I rename a database table?

visio trial
Cannot download the Visio trial. I have tried several times. ...

Can (or how can) I do this

Can not archive

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...

word 2010 crashes when trying to add digital signature to documen
Have not been able to add digital signatures to word 2010 beta documents ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=75799873-9165-496a-84a8-b4dd0603811b&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanage...

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...